PDA

View Full Version : Gladewater search

lostaussie
05-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Posted by David Smoak on smoaky.com

Multiple sources have confirmed Liberty-Eylau offensive coordinator Jason Hooker has been offered the job as AD/Head Football Coach at Gladewater High School.

Hooker has not accepted the job, but is expected to make a decision by Friday morning.

Gladewater I.S.D. is looking to replace Scott Callaway who left earlier this month to take an assistant's position at Mesquite High School.

David Smoak

LE Dad
05-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Posted by David Smoak on smoaky.com

Multiple sources have confirmed Liberty-Eylau offensive coordinator Jason Hooker has been offered the job as AD/Head Football Coach at Gladewater High School.

Hooker has not accepted the job, but is expected to make a decision by Friday morning.

Gladewater I.S.D. is looking to replace Scott Callaway who left earlier this month to take an assistant's position at Mesquite High School.

David Smoak Hmmmm.:thinking: That could happen. I know he has been rumored to be looking at O coordinator at a 4A Dallas school with LE connections, but this would be a good move, other than being in district with Gilmer and Carthage.:D

LE Dad
05-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Texted my son and he said he doesn't think that Hooker is going to accept the job. I don't know what GW is offering but it would have to be pretty good. There are some changes rumored to be occuring that will put him making HC salary and possibly moving after next year. I guess we shall see.:nerd:

waterboy
05-21-2010, 03:29 PM
I must say I'm a little surprised at the choice after hearing who applied for this job. It's all good, though. Good luck to the Bears...............except against the Buckeyes, of course!

LE Dad
05-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I must say I'm a little surprised at the choice after hearing who applied for this job. It's all good, though. Good luck to the Bears...............except against the Buckeyes, of course! Hookers O always gave Buckeyes fits and LE played GW 2-3 times plus 2 playoff games at GW, so the folks there know what they are getting.

Txbroadcaster
05-21-2010, 03:41 PM
I must say I'm a little surprised at the choice after hearing who applied for this job. It's all good, though. Good luck to the Bears...............except against the Buckeyes, of course!

yea who was the big name that had applied?

waterboy
05-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Hookers O always gave Buckeyes fits and LE played GW 2-3 times plus 2 playoff games at GW, so the folks there know what they are getting.
Oh, Hooker is a proven offensive genius, no doubt about that. I'm just saying that there were some other BIG names in the hat, and I'll just leave it at that....:evillol:.....one being a multi state championship winner.;)

waterboy
05-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
yea who was the big name that had applied?
You know I can't release that information..........but as Smoak put it, the list included a former pro football player, a head coach from a multiple state championship winner, and a couple of other big names. I know at least one of those who applied. That's all I can say......but WOW!

LE Dad
05-21-2010, 03:56 PM
You know I can't release that information..........but as Smoak put it, the list included a former pro football player, a head coach from a multiple state championship winner, and a couple of other big names. I know at least one of those who applied. That's all I can say......but WOW! Crickets are chirping here about it. I have put out a few texts and either no one knows or no one is telling just yet.

Txbroadcaster
05-21-2010, 04:05 PM
You know I can't release that information..........but as Smoak put it, the list included a former pro football player, a head coach from a multiple state championship winner, and a couple of other big names. I know at least one of those who applied. That's all I can say......but WOW!

ok I will go Tatum coach or possibly D-Field coach and George Teague

poisoned10
05-21-2010, 07:25 PM
I've heard Barry Bowman was expected to be offered the job, then found out it was going to be the OC from L-E. I was also told earlier that the guy from L-E turned down the offer.

LE Dad
05-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10
I've heard Barry Bowman was expected to be offered the job, then found out it was going to be the OC from L-E. I was also told earlier that the guy from L-E turned down the offer. I think Hooker turned it down. That is what I heard, but not from anyone real close to the situation. If true I think he is at least the 2nd person to turn it down.

Eagle1
05-21-2010, 08:59 PM
It is pretty sad when school is about out and a place is still looking for a coach. I don't know much about Gladewater, but I hate it for the kids. A coach really sticks it to the kids when he leaves after April 1st.

LE Dad
05-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Eagle1
It is pretty sad when school is about out and a place is still looking for a coach. I don't know much about Gladewater, but I hate it for the kids. A coach really sticks it to the kids when he leaves after April 1st. GW is about as down as it gets LE played them in 05 playoffs in GW and they had less than 100 people there and most of them were gone a halftime. It is sad because they have one of the best stadiums in East Texas. All of their buildings look top notch, but the support just is not there.

poisoned10
05-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Gladewater's football program has been down for several years now.

I remember looking back at their past few years and you have to go back to the 2003 season, I beleive, to find a game where they beat a team that finished above .500.

I'm sure the new district they are in isn't helpig at all either. Who wants to start a rebuilding process against Gilmer, Carthage, Pittsburg and Henderson?

Txbroadcaster
05-21-2010, 10:50 PM
GW is about as down as it gets LE played them in 05 playoffs in GW and they had less than 100 people there and most of them were gone a halftime. It is sad because they have one of the best stadiums in East Texas. All of their buildings look top notch, but the support just is not there.

I broadcast that game and while yes they did not have a ton of people they did have alot more than 100.

Txbroadcaster
05-21-2010, 10:50 PM
GW is about as down as it gets LE played them in 05 playoffs in GW and they had less than 100 people there and most of them were gone a halftime. It is sad because they have one of the best stadiums in East Texas. All of their buildings look top notch, but the support just is not there.

I broadcast that game and while yes they did not have a ton of people they did have alot more than 100.

LE Dad
05-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I broadcast that game and while yes they did not have a ton of people they did have alot more than 100. It was pretty sparse, while I did not do an exact head count about the only seating that had people, other than students, was the seating at mid field and some of those left at halftime. I can promise you there were not many people there at all especially for a home playoff game.

LE Dad
05-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10
Gladewater's football program has been down for several years now.

I remember looking back at their past few years and you have to go back to the 2003 season, I beleive, to find a game where they beat a team that finished above .500.

I'm sure the new district they are in isn't helpig at all either. Who wants to start a rebuilding process against Gilmer, Carthage, Pittsburg and Henderson? I just wonder what type of pay they are offering? Surely they understand that to attract someone that can build a program they are going to have to pay.

poisoned10
05-22-2010, 08:43 AM
I just wonder what type of pay they are offering? Surely they understand that to attract someone that can build a program they are going to have to pay.

From my understanding, that is the problem.

poisoned10
05-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Just got word about an hour ago that Longview offensive coordinator, Jared Baugh, was offered the job earlier and accepted.