PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Some Insist on Insulting?

Bullaholic
05-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Why do some people seem to insist on going out of their ways to insult the sacred values of others? Not condemning or defending anyone, but I can't help but wonder why.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/20/my-take-everyone-chalk-mohammed/?hpt=C1

Bullaholic
05-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Not trying to start a religion debate, BTW....

LE Dad
05-20-2010, 03:03 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: I think that it is fine to draw in chalk and for others to alter it. I even like the spraypaint on traincars, and wish the railcompanies would let these kids design the sides of all of their cars.

Atheist suck...and thats not religious because they don't believe in religion. :D

ronwx5x
05-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
:clap: :clap: :clap: I think that it is fine to draw in chalk and for others to alter it. I even like the spraypaint on traincars, and wish the railcompanies would let these kids design the sides of all of their cars.

Atheist suck...and thats not religious because they don't believe in religion. :D

Why not let them practice on the side of your house? RR cars are private property, just like a home. Or maybe just your neighbor's house?

LE Dad
05-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Why not let them practice on the side of your house? RR cars are private property, just like a home. Or maybe just your neighbor's house? My nearest neighbor is not in eyesight and he is a cop, but they could have fun on my house. I think it would look cool, and if I didn't like it I could always get some other kids to cover it up.:D

I don't think our local kids are that talented with paint yet, I see some of their work at the spillway and YUUUUCK!!:p

AP Panther Fan
05-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Why do some people seem to insist on going out of their ways to insult the sacred values of others? Not condemning or defending anyone, but I can't help but wonder why.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/20/my-take-everyone-chalk-mohammed/?hpt=C1

I liked the second comment under the LONG article....

"As educated as one may be in Human Values and Concerns, it is the principle of respect which Humanity has began to lack. Respect is taught, not through Further Education, but from our loving parents when we are young.

If one has the understanding of Respect, there would be no need to question the reaction of Muslims here.

JJWalker
05-20-2010, 04:06 PM
The drawing of Mohammed thing is not about religion at all, but freedom. Islam goes beyond religion, or sacred values and insists on imposing its will on others.

If a person believes that drawing an image of Muhammed is wrong ... they shouldn't do it.

What gets lost here is that same person imposing on, and punishing a free man for not adhering to those same values.

Stand up and be men.

Sure there are limits to morality ... but the Republic ideal should not be given up so easily.

BILLYFRED0000
05-21-2010, 08:11 AM
In understanding the muslim islamic faith there is one key factor that you have to grasp. It is a religion of enslavement. To put it another way it is a one way religion. You can join but you cant ever leave. The fundamentalists of that religion believe it is their religious duty to kill those that leave. Once you grasp the reality of that situation you understand the nature of their belief. They have to be right because they have no choice and anything that is not in line with that is to be eliminated in order for their conscience to feel right. Brutal legalistic and basically IMHO not a religion but a world wide Jim Jones Guyana type cult.

sahen
05-21-2010, 09:09 AM
a humanist rabbi?? isn't that an oxymoron?

JasperDog94
05-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
The fundamentalists of that religion believe it is their religious duty to kill those that leave. They not only believe this but they take it one step further and say they are justified in killing ANYONE who is not a member of their faith. And what about those who were muslims in the twin towers? I guess they were just collateral damage.:rolleyes:

ronwx5x
05-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by JJWalker
The drawing of Mohammed thing is not about religion at all, but freedom. Islam goes beyond religion, or sacred values and insists on imposing its will on others.

If a person believes that drawing an image of Muhammed is wrong ... they shouldn't do it.

What gets lost here is that same person imposing on, and punishing a free man for not adhering to those same values.

Stand up and be men.

Sure there are limits to morality ... but the Republic ideal should not be given up so easily.

You are incorrect that the drawing is not about religion. Just ask any Muslim, and don't take my word for it.

Think how upsetting it was for us to see Iranians burning American flags after the overthrow of the Shah and the taking of the US Embassy in Tehran. Consider also the photos of cheering Palestinians after the downing of the World Trade Center. Those certainly got my blood boiling, yet according to your view they were totally within their rights. Respect goes both ways.

BILLYFRED0000
05-21-2010, 09:59 AM
I agree with that. It does go both ways. However I do not recall anybody getting killed over the effegies in Palestine while MUslims have murdered several over cartoons and drawings. Once again it is not the expression of belief that concerns me but with their religious belief that they must impose their beliefs on me that I have an issue with.

Bullaholic
05-21-2010, 10:01 AM
You are incorrect that the drawing is not about religion. Just ask any Muslim, and don't take my word for it.

Think how upsetting it was for us to see Iranians burning American flags after the overthrow of the Shah and the taking of the US Embassy in Tehran. Consider also the photos of cheering Palestinians after the downing of the World Trade Center. Those certainly got my blood boiling, yet according to your view they were totally within their rights. Respect goes both ways.

I think you have grasped my motivation for posting this thread, Ron. Regardless of how passionate our beliefs, there is no justification for going out of our way to insult the core beliefs of others. We can disagree strongly with another's views or beliefs, without going out of our way to try to incite to this degree.

I don't agree with some religion's views on the use of alcohol, but I wouldn't think of putting a beer in my pocket, and when invited into a non-drinker's home, pulling it out and sipping away just to insult and offend someone because of their beliefs to try to make a point.

IMO, Jesus had the divine ability to make others want to eat of His bread willingly---unfortunately, in history, there were those who claimed to be passionate believers who did not spread His word in this fashion.

JJWalker
05-21-2010, 11:59 AM

Oh ... don't go disagreeing with me! I will complain to owners and moderators until they crater to my squeeky wheel ... or maybe I'll just sue them to make them bend to my will.

Disagreeing with me will not be tolerated!

And ... YES ... you, I and the US government have no control over any non-citizen burning the US flag outside our borders. Perhaps we have some law on the books that I am not aware of ... where it states that the burning of the US flag is tantamount to a declaration of war?

garciap77
05-21-2010, 12:25 PM
My nearest neighbor is not in eyesight and he is a cop, but they could have fun on my house. I think it would look cool, and if I didn't like it I could always get some other kids to cover it up.:D

I don't think our local kids are that talented with paint yet, I see some of their work at the spillway and YUUUUCK!!:p

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/p91707001LEDADsHouse-1.jpg

:D

;)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-21-2010, 12:40 PM
The funny thing about everybody on here bashing Islam is forgetting that the Catholic church did the same things in the past. You scoff at Islam and question its beliefs and ideals, but yet you worship Jesus even though his divinity directly derives from other gods in previous religions, most notably the gods Mithra and Horus. Religion is dangerous because it allows a man who doesn't know everything to think that he does. Any organized religion to date draws on the reformed religions of the past as a way of creating subservient followers, and they're all fake and created by the word of MAN.

Bullaholic
05-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
The funny thing about everybody on here bashing Islam is forgetting that the Catholic church did the same things in the past. You scoff at Islam and question its beliefs and ideals, but yet you worship Jesus even though his divinity directly derives from other gods in previous religions, most notably the gods Mithra and Horus. Religion is dangerous because it allows a man who doesn't know everything to think that he does. Any organized religion to date draws on the reformed religions of the past as a way of creating subservient followers, and they're all fake and created by the word of MAN.

Well, I enjoyed this thread.....:D

Pick6
05-21-2010, 01:01 PM

:rolleyes:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Pick6

Not sure why you're rolling your eyes....

If Jesus doesn't exist and is instead a God made up of a combination of the idealistic beliefs of other cultures and religions, then how can Christianity exist?

Pick6
05-21-2010, 01:10 PM

If Jesus doesn't exist and is instead a God made up of a combination of the idealistic beliefs of other cultures and religions, then how can Christianity exist?

Bullaholic
05-21-2010, 01:15 PM

As a Christian, I would love to answer your question, and further, even discuss other religions, but I'm afraid that the mods will cut this off due to the potential for heated exchanges---and they would probably be right. Sometime, maybe we can discuss a lot of issues if we are ever at the same event somewhere.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
As a Christian, I would love to answer your question, and further, even discuss other religions, but I'm afraid that the mods will cut this off due to the potential for heated exchanges---and they would probably be right. Sometime, maybe we can discuss a lot of issues if we are ever at the same event somewhere.

Never hurts to try.

LE Dad
05-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/p91707001LEDADsHouse-1.jpg

:D

;) Dude how did you get that pic?:confused:

Now we will have to get a new house for our move ins.:mad:

GUNHO
05-21-2010, 01:43 PM

:tisk: :lies: That is all.:hand:

LE Dad
05-21-2010, 02:39 PM

If Jesus doesn't exist and is instead a God made up of a combination of the idealistic beliefs of other cultures and religions, then how can Christianity exist? Try understanding that which you are questioning instead of questioning that which you don't understand. :)

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-21-2010, 03:01 PM

Wow Gary, I seldom agree with your politics but I think you just nailed this.

garciap77
05-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Dude how did you get that pic?:confused:

Now we will have to get a new house for our move ins.:mad:

;)

SWMustang
05-21-2010, 04:38 PM
The funny thing about everybody on here bashing Islam is forgetting that the Catholic church did the same things in the past.

when you say "in the past" are you talking before the protestant reformation?