PDA

View Full Version : Knee pads

PPSTATEBOUND
05-20-2010, 12:52 PM
I never understood and still dont ......Why do some players wear their knee pads above their knees?

Do they think it looks cool, or do they think it gives them a advantage or do they think it prevents a knee cap injury wearing therm above the knees:rolleyes:

PPSTATEBOUND
05-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Thanks.

crzyjournalist03
05-20-2010, 01:30 PM
What sport are you talking about?

PPSTATEBOUND
05-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

Football..American style....

Pmoney
05-20-2010, 01:37 PM
i have never seen players wear them above the knee...I have seen people cut them so they are small.

jp744
05-20-2010, 01:39 PM
I don't like the pants on the back of my knees when I run. so I wear them up but I try to keep them down as far as possible because the refs will say something. We think it looks cool to.

Pick6
05-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by jp744
We think it looks cool to.

A poll should be started, IMO the look is not cool.

MUSTANG69
05-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
A poll should be started, IMO the look is not cool.

+1

Roc96
05-20-2010, 02:25 PM
I've noticed in the past few years that most NFL players don't wear kneepads or hip pads. Esp. the receivers.

BwdLion73
05-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

Thanks....I was envisioning girls basketball. :o

LE Dad
05-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Wow, this thread is more innocent than I envisioned it being.:eek: :eek:

I have seen kickers alter knee pads, and receivers remove hip and thigh pads, but most players leave them in place... at least the ones that value their knees do.:nerd:

TexMike
05-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Knee pads have been a focus of NCAA and UIL rulemakers for many years. The NCAA has apparently given up on it. For this season they have changed the rule to say that :

(a) Players must wear soft knee pads at least ½” thick. Beginning in 2010 there is no reference to the pants covering the knees.

I don't think the UIL has decided yet what to do with this change.

(And I do not have a clue why players would even be required to wear KNEE pads when the KNEE pads do not even cover the KNEES?!?!?!)

And for the record...knee pads were first mandated not to protect the wearer but to protect the other players who might get "accidentally" hit by a knee.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by TexMike
Knee pads have been a focus of NCAA and UIL rulemakers for many years. The NCAA has apparently given up on it. For this season they have changed the rule to say that :

(a) Players must wear soft knee pads at least ½” thick. Beginning in 2010 there is no reference to the pants covering the knees.

I don't think the UIL has decided yet what to do with this change.

(And I do not have a clue why players would even be required to wear KNEE pads when the KNEE pads do not even cover the KNEES?!?!?!)

And for the record...knee pads were first mandated not to protect the wearer but to protect the other players who might get "accidentally" hit by a knee.

http://savral.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/the_more_you_know2.jpg

:D Good info.

gtownpoke
05-21-2010, 07:22 PM
the companies that we get our (oklahoma state) knee pads from are adams and a little bit of schutt. with adams we put a lot of guys in the klf-1. they dont bother cutting them up because theyre already pretty small, and so when seniors leave or someone quits you get to reuse them. thats a big plus, especially at the high school level where financial efficiency helps tremendously. as far as your players complaining about the bottom of the pants around the knees.. we cut about a one inch slit straight up through the elastic on the backside of the knee. it gives some release and doesnt look tacky. im on the road from stillwater to gilmer right now talking about knee pads... haha

Old Tiger
05-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Cause this
http://photos.demandstudios.com/244/6/fotolia_2331023_XS.jpg
looks cooler than this
http://pulse2.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/chad-ochocinco.jpg

I think they wear them that way for more flexibility and you can run faster and nothing is restricting your knees. Plus it feels better and looks better and if you look and feel better you play better.

Roc96
05-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Cause this
http://photos.demandstudios.com/244/6/fotolia_2331023_XS.jpg
looks cooler than this
http://pulse2.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/chad-ochocinco.jpg

Plus it feels better and looks better and if you look and feel better you play better.

That's a common phrase with female athletes, but I've never heard it with males.

Something like,
"Boys have to play good to feel good, but girls have to feel good to play good."

Old Tiger
05-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Roc96
That's a common phrase with female athletes, but I've never heard it with males.

Something like,
"Boys have to play good to feel good, but girls have to feel good to play good." The great Jerry Rice is a guy who once said “You look good. You play good.”