PDA

View Full Version : Bellville vs. Burnet: Thoughts?

GoForIt
10-19-2003, 10:45 PM
This game won't happen (lucky for Burnet), but what does everyone besides Burnet think?

mwisnews
10-19-2003, 10:51 PM
Did happen once in 2001 when Burnet played them in the first played playoff game their first playoff game in a while. McGee was the first year quarterback as a sophmore and Bob Shipley's first year. Bellville ended up winning the game I think by a touchdown. Today I think Burnet would win because they have experience.

mwisnews
10-19-2003, 10:57 PM
Did happen once in 2001 when Burnet played them in the first played playoff game. This was Burnet's first playoff game in a while. McGee was the first year quarterback as a sophmore and Bob Shipley's first year. Bellville ended up winning the game I think by a touchdown. Today I think Burnet would win because they have experience.

Bellville22
10-19-2003, 11:03 PM
THis is the least of my, Bellville's, or Burnet's concerns right now, but I'll have some fun with it...

Haven't seen Burnet play this year, so it's tough to say. I think the Bulls are improving weekly, but I'm not sure their on that level.

These are two of the more potent offenses in the state, but I think Burnet's is better than Bellville's (those stats are ridiculous).

Burnet doesn't get much credit for D, but they play tremendous defense. Bellville's is improving, but still has a little way to go, and they havent' seen a passing attack like the Bulldog's (not many have). Don't think they'd be able to slow it down.

There's a slight chance they could meet up, but it's very doubtful. Navasota would have to not make the playoffs, and Bellville and Burnet would have to make it to state in D1.

If I had to guess....

Burnet 38
Bellville 24

HotDawg89
10-19-2003, 11:24 PM
I'd have to agree with you there- but I think Bellville would put up some stiff competition against Burnet. That would be a great game to watch.

espn1
10-19-2003, 11:45 PM
Bellville22:
THis is the least of my, Bellville's, or Burnet's concerns right now, but I'll have some fun with it...

Haven't seen Burnet play this year, so it's tough to say. I think the Bulls are improving weekly, but I'm not sure their on that level.

These are two of the more potent offenses in the state, but I think Burnet's is better than Bellville's (those stats are ridiculous).

Burnet doesn't get much credit for D, but they play tremendous defense. Bellville's is improving, but still has a little way to go, and they havent' seen a passing attack like the Bulldog's (not many have). Don't think they'd be able to slow it down.

There's a slight chance they could meet up, but it's very doubtful. Navasota would have to not make the playoffs, and Bellville and Burnet would have to make it to state in D1.

If I had to guess....

Burnet 38
Bellville 24Most of what you said is right. Bellville is from Region 3 that would but Burnet and B'ville playing 1 game before the State Game. Like you said highly unlikely.

Old Dog
10-19-2003, 11:46 PM
I know you didn't want Burnet opinions, but i've gotta say that it would be a terrific game. Bellville stung Burnet in the first round of 2000 and I really think it would be very close again. No......., of course I ain't picking a winner because I'm too slanted in my view. LOL

Bellville22
10-20-2003, 11:36 AM
You're right espn1. It would be the State-Semi, not the final. I just consider making it to state winning your region.

reptard7isCRAZY
10-20-2003, 11:43 AM
In the pollers eyes, Bellville wouldn't have a chance. In people who have seen Bellville through their eyes, it would be a very exciting game.

I think it would come down to special teams. Maybe as close as 3 points.

footballman33
10-20-2003, 06:37 PM
i think that would be a close game burnet pulling it off barely, maybe even bellville winning. i would like to see that game though

Footballfan25
10-20-2003, 07:23 PM
Bellville defeated Burnet in the 1st round in 2000 and in 2001. In 2001 Burnet fumbled on the goalline, a questionable call, and Bellville won. They could meet. Columbus has a good chance of beating Navasota at home. Could be another 3 way tie with a coin flip.

the tigers are back
10-20-2003, 08:54 PM
I can see this happening,but sealy has to beat the rattlers friday and columbus has to beat them also so who know's.I think it can happen,but it's ver likely to happen. wink

Gobbla2001
10-20-2003, 08:55 PM
Nah, wouldn't happen even if Bellville went D1, it'd be Cuero/Bellville for semi's...

Ha...

<small>[ October 20, 2003, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Gobbla2001 ]</small>

BrahmaMom
10-20-2003, 09:37 PM
In 2001, Burnet fumbled on the goal line and lost the ball, after a tremendous tackle. I know to some it was questionable, but from where I was sitting and videoing and watching it over, it was legit. If Bellville meets Burnet again this year and they are still worrying about that call, the Bulls will win! It's over, if we play, let's play this year's game. Go Bulls!

Chris Hart
10-20-2003, 09:59 PM
BrahmaMom, I'm with you on let's get it on! I'd say Burnet by 17. About the 2001 game, Patrick Miller was met at the goaline by 2 Bellville defenders, he was then pushed back to the five by both defenders and then as you say, yes the film shows the ball coming out, but forward progress should have been ruled at the goalline about 5 seconds before the ball came out. It was a blown call and reported. The film clearly shows this. Burnet would've had the ball on the goalline with 10-20 seconds on the clock, facing 4th and goal down 20-14. That call devastated the team and fan base of Burnet, but we have moved on, but it has been a motivator to not let ourselves be in a position for 1 bad call to determine the outcome. However both teams played great that day, and it was a VERY entertaining game.

BTW TxMike, I saw where you work the on the San Antonio chapter, which also worked this game. Just wondering if you worked this game personally?

DawgFan91
10-20-2003, 10:14 PM
Footballfan25:
Bellville defeated Burnet in the 1st round in 2000 and in 2001. In 2001 Burnet fumbled on the goalline, a questionable call, and Bellville won. They could meet. Columbus has a good chance of beating Navasota at home. Could be another 3 way tie with a coin flip.Columbus does NOT have a good chance of beating Navasota. Columbus has been able to keep some games close by playing real conservative, but that is it. The Rice and Bellville scores against Columbus are deceiving b/c Columbus played to not get blown out. Period. Don't mean to spoil the fun, but Bellville and Burnet won't happen.

Footballfan25
10-20-2003, 10:19 PM
Columbus beat Navasota at home last year by exactly the amount of points to create a coin flip. This year, the game is in Columbus, last game of the year. Could be interesting.

DawgFan91
10-20-2003, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I know about what happened last year and I am just saying that they don't have a GOOD chance of beating Navasota. Not saying they can't. Last year Navasota just folded b/c of the inexperience. Just from talking to some folks close to the Cards, they are hurt do to some injuries, no team speed, and afre just down. It'll be interesting to see how Navasota responds to the whipping they took last weekend. I will say this, Bellville, REALLY doesn't want to go Div. 1... They are talking now b/c they know it probably won't happen, but the fact is, it would take a near perfect game to beat Burnet. I didn't think anyone could touch Jasper last year and I watched McGee and Shipley bury them...basically in the first quarter.

BrahmaMom
10-21-2003, 08:48 AM
No, I don't want to go Div I. I don't think we'd be able to soundly defeat Burnet, it would be too exciting for me, and I think my Brahmas would have almost (I have to say almost) too much to handle. I prefer we aren't in that position. I just feel after what Bellville saw at Navasota, Columbus has a better chance than I thought of an upset at home. It'd be fun to have Burnet-Bellville rematch, if it didn't count for anything. Until then, I hope Bellville stays Div II. Go Brahmas!