PDA

View Full Version : Robstown AD.Football coach resigns

MUSTANG69
05-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Robstown's AD/Football coach, Doug Woods, has tendered his resignation. There was not a quorum at the meeting so his resignation will not be accepted until the first week of June. He tried to resign a little over a year ago but his resignation was not accepted then. Seems to be the real thing this time.

Source: Corpus Christi Caller

Be_Advised
05-20-2010, 08:35 AM
I say let him leave. He should have left last year. He wasn't happy here for whatever reason, so there should not have been a reason to keep him here one more year.

MUSTANG69
05-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Be_Advised
I say let him leave. He should have left last year. He wasn't happy here for whatever reason, so there should not have been a reason to keep him here one more year.

Since Robstown drooped to 3A they have been competitive in football. I guess the school board didn't want to give that up. You are right. If he is unhappy let him go.

Be_Advised
05-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
Since Robstown drooped to 3A they have been competitive in football. I guess the school board didn't want to give that up. You are right. If he is unhappy let him go.

I think Robstown has been more competitive in football due to the drop in classification, not directly linked to anything Woods brought to the table.

Reds fan
05-20-2010, 09:08 AM
I think Robstown has been more competitive in football due to the drop in classification, not directly linked to anything Woods brought to the table.

That's just not always true, just look what happened after the last time some schools dropped down in classification.:D

greenhornet
05-20-2010, 09:11 AM
While they did take a step down in the competition they faced, Woods is a very good coach and has been successful prior to Robstown. Some of you act like it is some sort of mystery about him being unhappy in Robstown, it appears just about everyone is. Didn't the VERY successful baseball coach reflect this as well?

pirate4state
05-20-2010, 09:13 AM
I think Robstown has been more competitive in football due to the drop in classification, not directly linked to anything Woods brought to the table. :eek: :eek:

MUSTANG69
05-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by greenhornet
While they did take a step down in the competition they faced, Woods is a very good coach and has been successful prior to Robstown. Some of you act like it is some sort of mystery about him being unhappy in Robstown, it appears just about everyone is. Didn't the VERY successful baseball coach reflect this as well?

I'm not surprised that he is leaving . I'm sure their are much higher paying jobs with successful programs that he can go to. I wouldn't think being the football coach at Robstown would be all that appealing.

Be_Advised
05-20-2010, 09:21 AM

I never doubted his ability to coach. I know he was a very successful defensive coordinator in the Austin area for many years.

To my knowledge Castro never said he was unhappy being in Robstown. He was unhappy with some of the administration, which included Woods, and school board. Castro is retiring at the age of 62, after giving almost four decades to the school. If he was "unhappy being in Robstown", he could have left for a better gig a long time ago.

21 Iso
05-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Congrats Robstown? You just lost one of the only sane people in the asylum.

greenhornet
05-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by 21 Iso

Kind of what I was thinking but didn't want to offend anyone....

MUSTANG69
05-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by 21 Iso

My thoughts exactly. If it works then screw it up. :D

Be_Advised
05-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Kind of what I was thinking but didn't want to offend anyone....

If you are reserving your comments for my benefit, please don't. Sling away.

Bottom line is Woods is gone. I know he led us to the playoffs back in the 08-09 school year, but I stand by my original statement that the drop in classification was more beneficial to the team, then Woods.

Maroon87
05-20-2010, 10:23 AM
He's been trying to leave for 2 years...

MUSTANG69
05-20-2010, 10:27 AM

Bottom line is Woods is gone. I know he led us to the playoffs back in the 08-09 school year, but I stand by my original statement that the drop in classification was more beneficial to the team, then Woods.

I think you are right about the drop being more beneficial. Do you think Robstown will be able to attract a good coach based on their past football history and the current make-up of their school board and administration? Robstown has been known as a baseball school.

Be_Advised
05-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
I think you are right about the drop being more beneficial. Do you think Robstown will be able to attract a good coach based on their past football history and the current make-up of their school board and administration? Robstown has been known as a baseball school.

I hope they do get some glad applicants for the job, but the timing of this is probably the biggest obstacle at the moment.

Practice starts in 3 months, they have to advertise the job, then go through a selection process, by the time we know it will be August.

The only true off season workout the team can do is conditioning and weight training.

The offense can not practice any plays on their own time, because they don't know what offense they are gonna run.

greenhornet
05-20-2010, 10:57 AM

Well I have seen first hand what Robstown football looked like before Woods arrived and it was a JOKE. I have never seen anything like this before or after; don't recall the year (05 maybe) but Flour Bluff put three TD's on them in three offensive plays to start the game. I also witnessed Woods defense at Pfl. Connally and they were VERY lucky to get this guy. It is scandal after scandal coming out of this place from the security guards to the superintendent. I'm surprised he stayed this long, I'm sure he will be on to bigger, better things.

truebluestang
05-20-2010, 01:11 PM
They will definitely miss Coach Woods. He did a great job with that program. I know that he butted heads with the baseball coach and even stood his ground- something other AD's backed away from. Anyone who knows about that place knows that Castro has been violating UIL rules for years and has been caught a few times. Finally had an AD that tried to put him in his place but the AD found out that politics still rule in Robstown- not doing the right thing.

Phil C
05-20-2010, 01:21 PM
I wonder if he is going to Corpus Christi Ray.

Spread It Out
05-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by truebluestang
They will definitely miss Coach Woods. He did a great job with that program. I know that he butted heads with the baseball coach and even stood his ground- something other AD's backed away from. Anyone who knows about that place knows that Castro has been violating UIL rules for years and has been caught a few times. Finally had an AD that tried to put him in his place but the AD found out that politics still rule in Robstown- not doing the right thing.

What rules did Castro violate?

MUSTANG69
05-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

Makes sense to me Phil. Perez leaves Ray and Woods resigns from Robstown. The timing fits that scenario.

truebluestang
05-20-2010, 01:42 PM
His team was booted from State Playoffs one year for using an ineligible player that lived in T-M district- he was recruited to play but Castro said he knew nothing about it . Another year he was driving a brand new car around that was being furnished by a local dealership. Several other stories I have heard od but those two made the news.

maroogreen
05-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

I'm still surprised Perez left Ray for BLOOMINGTON! Although, if Perez can turn that program around, he could become a living legend...

Buccaneer
05-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Coach Woods is not leaving Robstown. He will stay until December and then retire.

MUSTANG69
05-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Coach Woods is not leaving Robstown. He will stay until December and then retire.

That is good news for Robstown. They will not be under pressure to hire a new coach in a short period of time.