PDA

View Full Version : Bellville/Giddings attendance

XMan
05-19-2010, 10:05 PM
From what Randy said (which isnt always reliable) there must have been close to 2,000 fans at the game tonight. Both towns support their teams so well. Since baseball seems to be popular to the townsfolk, maybe someday the school system will support the sport the way the fans do. Maybe the schools will go ahead and give the players the opportunity to get better during school time and allow the coaches to coach. As it is now, to get better in baseball you have to play select ball and relegate yourself to football offseason even though you are not even in the sport. I know in Bellville it wasnt always this way. Up until about 2 or 3 ADs ago, baseballers didnt go to football offseason in the spring. Sadly, the Permian model was impressed upon the athletic department and the kids of non football sports have really lost out. Its hard for them to compete against those that are able to get better during school time. Anyway, just another of my rants. Congrats to Giddings, represent the district well.

Red Bull
05-20-2010, 11:20 AM
I would say Randy had it about right. That is probably the 2nd largest crowd at Fireman's Park (other than Maifest) since Brenham pitcher Jon Peters went for the national consecutive wins record back in the late 80's. The largest crowd was last years regional final game 1 with Bellville and Giddings. That night was standing room only and many people didn't get in until the 4th inning. Thanks to the Brenham Cub Baseball coaches and others that learned from last year and were prepared for last night's contest.

Reds fan
05-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Agreed, last year it seems there were 200-500 people standing up on the RR tracks watching.