PDA

View Full Version : Let's share write-ups on Baseball Playoff games across TX

Old Cardinal
05-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Orangefield(#1 team) now faces the 21-3A team West Orange-Start(#3 team) While Bridge City 21-3A faces Huffman a big 4A drop-down from 22-3A

Here is an interesting write up by Sportswriter Gabe Pruitt...

Copy/Paste

Gabriel Pruett
Orange Leader

NACOGDOCHES — NACOGDOCHES - Both the District 21-3A champion Orangefield Bobcats and the 21-3A runnerup Bridge Cardinals picked up impressive Class 3A Region III area round playoff wins Saturday at Nacogdoches High School.

The Bobcats roped Bryan Rudder while the Cardinals strapped Taylor 4-1.

OF 6, RUDDER 1

It was not the normal pound-em out Orangefield Bobcats performance Saturday afternoon at Nacogdoches High School against the Bryan Rudder Rangers.

Instead the No. 4 Bobcats outlasted the Rangers 6-1 in the Class 3A Region III Area Round playoffs.

The game was slated to be played at Baseball USA in Houston yet heavy rain forced coaches to scramble.

Orange field (25-2) will now face 21-3A rival West Orange-Stark next week in the regional quarterfinals.

Senior Jace Statum got the win against Rudder (22-7) with a complete game as he gave up eight hits while strike out 10 Rangers. He walked two batters.

Orangefield struck for two runs in the top of the first as Statum led off with a single and eventually took third on a wild pitch.

Jacob Felts and Chase Angelle both walked with one out before Quinton Evans hit a two-run single to right.

The Bobcats struck for two more runs in the top of the second.

Josh Watson, who singled to left, scored on a Rudder error to make it 3-0.

Derrick Evans, who scrambled all the way to third on the error, scored when Statum had a RBI groundout to second to make it 4-0 Bobcats.

Rudder scored its lone run in the bottom of the fourth as Tim Deahl had a RBI sacrifice fly to score Austin Barone.

Quinton Evans scored in the top of the sixth off a Rudder error. Evans walked to lead off the sixth and took second on a stolen base.

Statum scored the Bobcats last run of the game in the top of the seventh after reaching on a one-out infield single.

Statum’s speed allowed him to score all the way from first on a Rudder error.

Will Johnson started for the Rangers and went four innings and gave up three hits and three walks. He struck out two batters and allowed four runs.

Statum was 2-for-4 in the game to be the lone Bobcat with multiple hits.

Orangefield defeated WO-S both times this season, the first contest was close with Bobcats winning 4-3.

BC 4, TAYLOR 1

The Bridge City Cardinals spent about nine hours on a bus over two days and coach Chad Landry made about 100 phone calls.

It only took one call to put Matt Hicks on the mound Saturday against the Taylor Ducks and about 30 minutes to realize the Cardinals would be victorious in the Class 3A Region III Area Round playoffs.

Hicks struck out 10 batters as the Cardinals advanced with a 4-1 win to face either Huffman or Navasota next week in the regional quarterfinals.

Of the first nine Taylor outs, seven were strike outs by Hicks.

The Cardinals (23-5-1) offense put up three runs in the first two innings to all but insure Taylor (20-8) would end its season at Nacogdoches High School.

“I felt great today,” Hicks said. “We all knew we had to show up since it was a one-game series. I was able to do what I had to do to get the win. A lot of a baseball game rides on the pitcher so I always want to go out and throw strikes to let my defense make plays behind me.”

Bridge City put up two runs in the top of the first as Zach Smith reached with one out on an error and Hicks then followed with a single to right.

Mitchell Hubbard then smacked a two-run triple to score both runners as BC took a 2-0 lead.

Luke Rhodes led the top of the second off with a double and three batters later Joe Robertson hit a sacrifice fly ball to right to score Rhodes and make it 3-0.

Robertson had another RBI sacrifice fly in the top of the fourth to score Cameron Dishon who roped a one-out triple to center.

The 4-0 lead would be too much for the Ducks to overcome.

Hicks made possibly the play of his career in the bottom of the fifth.

Sam Jirasek laid down a bunt down the third baseline. Hicks ran and slid to grab the ball, while still sliding towards the third baseline, Hicks threw to first baseman Evan Boren for the out.

“I would hope I could do that again but I am not sure,” Hicks said. “I just remember sliding and seeing Evan and throwing his direction.”

Taylor scored its lone run in the top of the sixth as Jacob San Miguel reached on an error and came in to score when Cody Alderete hit a sacrifice fly.

Hicks only needed 86 pitches to secure the win as the Ducks got only four hits.

“We knew Taylor would be a scrappy team,” Landry said. “Matt did a great job tonight and it was great of us to put up a crooked number so quickly. We play for a run an inning. We feel we get that with Matt on the mound, we should win the game. We still have a lot to work on. We left too many guys on base tonight.”

The Cardinals stranded seven runners on base.

Old Cardinal
05-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Please take the time to-- copy/paste-- articles about assorted playoff games.
Folks seem to enjoy those type articles during this unique time of the season.

Keith7
05-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal

that violates copyright laws though :(

LH Panther Mom
05-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Links need to be provided. :)

Keith7
05-16-2010, 04:19 PM
No one will click the links and the author's hard work will go unrecognized :(

Pick6
05-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Keith7

:bigcry:

Old Cardinal
05-16-2010, 09:30 PM
It is my understanding Kieth 7 that newspaper articles, by their nature, are written with the intention to be distributed free by others--as a recognized part of their reason for publication.

They are not treated as a copyright issue in traditional ways.

Keith7
05-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Not true..

Look at the story you posted for instance

http://orangeleader.com/hssports/x1414102564/Bobcats-Cards-stroll-to-area-round-playoff-wins

See the very bottom right? It's a copyright statement.

The people who write these stories jobs are largely judged by the amount of hits they receive. Copy and pasting to message boards takes away hits from those people (even when you include a link).. Most message boards have strict rules against copy and pasting articles.. In fact this is the only message board I frequiently visit that allows it

Old Cardinal
05-16-2010, 10:49 PM
sports writers I have talked to said they get a straight salary from the newspaper.

They seem to like the idea of spreading out their writing skills for readers.
It can work as a subtle advertising for new employment prospecting. LOL

Old Cardinal
05-17-2010, 10:46 AM
That stuff about this site being the only site publishing Sport-writers comments is just not true--it is a well know common practice

IN FACT, this link was COPIED/PASTED directly from another Sports Website.

Keith7
05-17-2010, 11:54 AM
You must be visiting some hillbilly message boards. If they don't have the copy / paste rule..

Read my message again. I didn't say they get paid by the number of hits, I said they get judged by the number of hits they receive. Similar to a checker at the grocery store gets judged by the number of items they scan or a cop gets judged by the number of tickets they hand out. You're stealing the person's work and you're stealing potential visitors to their website.

I really hope people don't copy / paste my stories. Newspapers are looking to cut and slash departments like crazy right now. If the sports section isn't getting a certain number of "hits" it could be the next to go.

Common practice my butt.. for instance, gomeangreen.com gives you a WARNING the first time you copy and paste an article. The second time you're gone.. Igglephans.com allows cussing, name calling, politics, topless pictures but if you copy and paste an article it is off the board immediately.. The newberg report forum will delete a copy and pasted article and "bench" the person for a week..

I'm telling you, this is the only forum I know that allows copy and pasting of articles. It doesn't serve as advertising. It doesn't fall under the fair use law. It's stealing articles plain and simple.

Old Cardinal
05-17-2010, 12:19 PM
What do you have against Texas Hillbillies that live in the Golden Triangle?

LE Dad
05-17-2010, 02:12 PM

I really hope people don't copy / paste my stories. Me too.:(

ronwx5x
05-17-2010, 02:23 PM

You mean like this one for one of your articles?

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2010/05/17/conroe_courier/sports/mont_softball_0516.txt

Keith7
05-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
You mean like this one for one of your articles?

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2010/05/17/conroe_courier/sports/mont_softball_0516.txt

Good job! you posted a link!! :) :) :kiss:

ronwx5x
05-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Good job! you posted a link!! :) :) :kiss:

Only because the article itself was not worth posting!:taunt:

Keith7
05-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Now people will click on the story and my boss will think I'm doing a good job and the sports section is worth investing in

Keith7
05-17-2010, 02:55 PM
I took the photos too!!1 :cool:

PPSTATEBOUND
05-17-2010, 03:14 PM
They are not treated as a copyright issue in traditional ways.

I think this only applys to Kieths articles...:inlove:

Old Cardinal
05-18-2010, 03:57 PM
"Newspapers are looking to cut and slash departments like crazy right now. If the sports section isn't getting a certain number of "hits" it could be the next to go."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keith, I wanted to point out to you in your message above that there is a glaring reason nationwide that newspapers are folding and becoming anemic propaganda.

THEY HIRE ONLY VERY RADICALLY LIBERAL MINDED WRITERS!

Yes, they hire them for little-to-nothing and if they toe-the-liberal-mark they can get a few more Dollars writing VERY LIBERAL EDITORIALS that in fact are the very reason newspapers may become a thing of the past after November 2010.

this is not-- copy-write--it's free for the world to see.
:D