PDA

View Full Version : need some input on this

DU_stud04
05-13-2010, 11:20 PM
how and when do you tell someone theyre adopted? this is something ive been pondering for some time now. how long do you keep it a secret? do you tell someone as soon as you think they can understand? or do you just play the waiting game? im really having a hard time with this though...i cant decide what to do. so let me ask you, at what age do you think its appropriate to tell a highway it's adopted?

thanks for the input guys, hopefully i can make a decision when the time comes, if it comes.

bobcat4life
05-13-2010, 11:22 PM
as soon as its adopted

DU_stud04
05-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
as soon as its adopted :sigh: why'd you have to be the post first and ruin my thread. this thread was supposed to propel me to higher leagues....and you just ruined it for me. in all seriousness.... why are you here?

Trashman
05-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
how and when do you tell someone theyre adopted? this is something ive been pondering for some time now. how long do you keep it a secret? do you tell someone as soon as you think they can understand? or do you just play the waiting game? im really having a hard time with this though...i cant decide what to do. so let me ask you, at what age do you think its appropriate to tell a highway it's adopted?

thanks for the input guys, hopefully i can make a decision when the time comes, if it comes.

I think you should tell the Highway just before the signs go up that say "this section of highway adopted by DU_stud04. :spitlol:

ronwx5x
05-14-2010, 08:38 AM

Just an opinion, but the best time seems to me to be as soon as the child can understand. The longer you wait, the harder it will become for both of you. Besides, it's a heck of a lot simpler to tell a 4 year old than a 15 year old, if only because of the extent of explanations required.

I speak from experience about not waiting too long to have a dificult discussion.

LE Dad
05-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Just an opinion, but the best time seems to me to be as soon as the child can understand. The longer you wait, the harder it will become for both of you. Besides, it's a heck of a lot simpler to tell a 4 year old than a 15 year old, if only because of the extent of explanations required.

I speak from experience about not waiting too long to have a dificult discussion. I agree. It should not be a secret. I would say around 8, but for the best advice ask a a professional counselor, maybe at school for a little advice on how to approach the subject.:)

Ranger Mom
05-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
I think you should tell the Highway just before the signs go up that say "this section of highway adopted by DU_stud04. :spitlol:

I think so too!! It needs to know before all the strangers wearing bright orange vests start treading on it's shoulders and plucking it's treasures.

Do you get the feeling that some people didn't read the original post from beginning to end??:p

Trashman
05-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I think so too!! It needs to know before all the strangers wearing bright orange vests start treading on it's shoulders and plucking it's treasures.

Do you get the feeling that some people didn't read the original post from beginning to end??:p

Yes...:spitlol:

Ranger Mom
05-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Yes...:spitlol:

Silly posters!!!:doh:

Reds fan
05-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Scary ain't it? :D

Kinda like some folks don't read a bill before they vote on it.:D

Ranger Mom
05-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Scary ain't it? :D

Kinda like some folks don't read a bill before they vote on it.:D

EXACTLY!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :clap:

DU_stud04
05-14-2010, 09:23 AM
I think you should tell the Highway just before the signs go up that say "this section of highway adopted by DU_stud04. :spitlol: see, thats what i was thinking as well. otherwise it is liable to suffer severe trauma if told later in life...this can bring on several severe conditions including potholing, cracks in the pavement, general heaving and buckling of the pavement and even the sloughing off of the lane dividing paint. also think its important for it to know the truth so they know what to think when they get to an important intersection in their life, and need to know which road to take.

i was also thinking around 7.... it starts thinking, i dont look like the kiwanis club.

Kojak
05-14-2010, 09:29 AM
I think you wait until the sign is put up. The only thing is, you must be the first one to read the sign to the highway. It would be way to tough on the highway if someone else read the sign to it before you did.

Bullaholic
05-14-2010, 09:29 AM
see, thats what i was thinking as well. otherwise it is liable to suffer severe trauma if told later in life...this can bring on several severe conditions including potholing, cracks in the pavement, general heaving and buckling of the pavement and even the sloughing off of the lane dividing paint. also think its important for it to know the truth so they know what to think when they get to an important intersection in their life, and need to know which road to take.

i was also thinking around 7.... it starts thinking, i dont look like the kiwanis club.

DU_Stud---Did you ever stop to consider that maybe the highway is of sufficient age to decide whether it wants to be adopted or not? I mean after all, this is just not a clear cut case of---"My way or the highway's".....:D

Farmersfan
05-14-2010, 09:40 AM
I agree with Bull! Unless the highway is a NEW road it must have signed off on the adoption in the first place. Also consider the REASON for the adoption. Was it a problem highway? Repair needs? Abandonment Issues? There's too many factors to consider for just 1 answer..................

playnhurt
05-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Before it becomes a 4-Lane!

Footballhudini
05-14-2010, 10:06 AM
My father is white and was adopted by a black family (no offense). By the time he was old enough to recognize race and color, he didn't need anyone to tell him he was adopted. In a strange twist of events, near his 43rd birthday, he finally met his paternal father - who just happened to live right down the street from where I was located at the time.

I would NOT hold back, though. Chances are, if you were adopted, you lived a much better life than you would have otherwise. I would tell the kid from the get-go.

MUSTANG69
05-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Who were the natural born parents. Were they freeways, state highways, farm-to-markets? This absolutely must be considered.

playnhurt
05-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Caliche and Gravel roads should be sterilized at the onset. Their offspring have a tendency of carrying that loose gravel gene and it needs to be eradicated.

Bullaholic
05-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by playnhurt
Caliche and Gravel roads should be sterilized at the onset. Their offspring have a tendency of carrying that loose gravel gene and it needs to be eradicated.

Dirt racist! :D

BwdLion73
05-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by playnhurt

You are correct. Get those together and before long you have a lot of Black top roads.:cool:

playnhurt
05-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Dirt racist! :D

not racist at all but if it walks like a duck and it talks like a duck.........