PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City fires Hillman

TexasHSFootball
05-13-2010, 04:29 PM
As some of you know Trey Hillman is from Liberty Hill. Today, the Kansas City Royals fired Hillman as manager and replaced him with Ned Yost.

ziggy29
05-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Guess the guy couldn't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Not sure what the cheapskate owner of a small market team expects his manager to be able to do.

LH_Tuff
05-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by TexasHSFootball
As some of you know Trey Hillman is from Liberty Hill. Today, the Kansas City Royals fired Hillman as manager and replaced him with Ned Yost.

This is too bad. Trey is a great guy, neighbor and coach. He will land somewhere else quickly.

Buckeye1980
05-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
Guess the guy couldn't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Not sure what the cheapskate owner of a small market team expects his manager to be able to do.

I am sorry cause I am sure the fired manager is a great guy, but to use the "small market " excuse is out of line . Milwaukee has a smaller maket but seems to produce better teams than KC. Minnesota wins a very small market.

I know it is different sports but ,San Antonio has a much smaller market and Green Bay has the SMALLEST market of ANY professional sports team. The secret is to win and get support and the size of market would not matter as much

Source
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/baseball_markets.shtml

Super_R
05-14-2010, 02:07 PM
In baseball it seems it is just easier to fire a good manager than it is to purchase good players.

ziggy29
05-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
I am sorry cause I am sure the fired manager is a great guy, but to use the "small market " excuse is out of line . Milwaukee has a smaller maket but seems to produce better teams than KC. Minnesota wins a very small market.

I know it is different sports but ,San Antonio has a much smaller market and Green Bay has the SMALLEST market of ANY professional sports team.
First of all, the MLB/NBA comparison is pretty irrelevant because the economics are different. In the NBA there is a salary cap and the economics of rich and poor aren't as disparate because of how NBA revenues are dispersed.

Secondly, while "small market" *is* an excuse that perennially bad teams like KC and Pittsburgh use, it *is* still an issue. What teams like the Twins do is very admirable because they don't take the attitude that they have no chance.

But when you combine a small market with a cheap owner who uses it as an excuse to not even *try* to build a winner, as I said, any manager of such a team has no chance.

crzyjournalist03
05-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Hillman made some very questionable calls during his tenure as manager. Fact of the matter is, that he wasn't very good at his job regardless of the talent he was working with.