PDA

View Full Version : Will the Cavs pull it off?

StangEm
05-12-2010, 09:36 AM
After what I saw last night I have doubts that they have what it takes to win the series against the Celtics, much less the Championship. LeBron has played his last game as a Cav at the Q.

greenhornet
05-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Unfortunately I think you are correct. I have had to adopt someone to root for after the Spurs have exited the playoffs the last few years and I really enjoy watching LBJ play but last night was unwatchable.

crzyjournalist03
05-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Won't LeBron look good donning a #6 Mavs jersey next fall?

StangEm
05-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I like the way we think.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-12-2010, 10:16 AM

Not when Dirk dons a Suns #41 (which I'm terrified is going to happen :( ).

StangEm
05-12-2010, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Not when Dirk dons a Suns #41 (which I'm terrified is going to happen :( ). [/QUOTE

You think this will happen? I bet Cuban will bring out the big check book to keep Dirk around. Imagine the high/low action LBJ and Dirk would have and how much excitment that would bring to Big D.

greenhornet
05-12-2010, 10:23 AM
They would still find a way to stage their annual playoff choke!

venomous tat2
05-12-2010, 10:27 AM
K. G. said it best " we cannot let it go back to Cleveland for a game 7 " . In order for ths Cav's to win their supporting cast will have to step up cause it looks like they can't win La bron don't score 30 or 40 points . Boston found a way to shut down his driving lanes down . The Cav's had good success taking the ball inside and what were they thinking about putting James on Rondo.

Maroon87
05-12-2010, 10:44 AM
I guess the Cavs expended too much energy on their pre-game "photo op" to play hard last night.

StangEm
05-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by venomous tat2
In order for ths Cav's to win their supporting cast will have to step up cause it looks like they can't win La bron don't score 30 or 40 points .

:clap: :iagree: :2thumbsup

BreckTxLonghorn
05-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by StangEm
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Not when Dirk dons a Suns #41 (which I'm terrified is going to happen :( ). [/QUOTE

You think this will happen? I bet Cuban will bring out the big check book to keep Dirk around. Imagine the high/low action LBJ and Dirk would have and how much excitment that would bring to Big D.

He'll definitely try, but I'm not sure he can put both Dirk and LeBron at max deals, especially with the way the salary cap is looking for next year - three sweeps in rd 2 kills television money, which will lower the expected cap. Even if he did manage around that, he'd have to convince CLE to do a sign & trade to get LBJ the most $$$, which I don't see them agreeing to with Dallas' available talent to give.

I don't see Dirk to Phoenix as too far off, especially since it looks like he'll opt out and test the waters. With Amare probably bolting, Phoenix has the room, and it is known throughout the league that Dirk & Nash are very good friends. Since Nash left a few years back, they were each able to define their style, and right now they would complement each other significantly. Throw in the fact the Suns will probably push the Lakers to at least 6 games, and that they have some great young talent to give Nash rest (Frye) and a big guy to take pressure of Dirk (Lopez), Phoenix is a solid choice. I hope it doesn't happen, because Dirk is the face of the franchise, but I wouldn't blame him if he did.

SHSBulldog00
05-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Yes, I said it, so shall it be written.

crzyjournalist03
05-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
He'll definitely try, but I'm not sure he can put both Dirk and LeBron at max deals, especially with the way the salary cap is looking for next year - three sweeps in rd 2 kills television money, which will lower the expected cap. Even if he did manage around that, he'd have to convince CLE to do a sign & trade to get LBJ the most $$$, which I don't see them agreeing to with Dallas' available talent to give.

I don't see Dirk to Phoenix as too far off, especially since it looks like he'll opt out and test the waters. With Amare probably bolting, Phoenix has the room, and it is known throughout the league that Dirk & Nash are very good friends. Since Nash left a few years back, they were each able to define their style, and right now they would complement each other significantly. Throw in the fact the Suns will probably push the Lakers to at least 6 games, and that they have some great young talent to give Nash rest (Frye) and a big guy to take pressure of Dirk (Lopez), Phoenix is a solid choice. I hope it doesn't happen, because Dirk is the face of the franchise, but I wouldn't blame him if he did.

Cleveland won't really have a choice in the matter if it comes down to it. They can either agree to sign-and-trade him for minimal value to a team like Dallas, or they can refuse and force him to sign with a team like New York while they get no compensation.

If LeBron leaves Cleveland, don't you think the Cavs would rather him go to the Western Conference? With Erick Dampier's contract, the Mavs can absolutely make the numbers work. So if you're Cleveland, do you let him go somewhere like New York or Miami for nothing, or do you sign-and-trade him to get back a player like Caron Butler so that you at least have something?

If you're LeBron, would you rather get a max free agent contract to go to an unproven team like New York, or do you get more money through a sign-and-trade and go to a team with a recent history of success like Dallas?

Emerson1
05-12-2010, 11:55 AM

If you're LeBron, would you rather get a max free agent contract to go to an unproven team like New York, or do you get more money through a sign-and-trade and go to a team with a recent history of success like Dallas?

Lebron is all about his image first.

He has already stated he wants to go global and at the time wanted to be the first billionaire athlete(Tiger did it first).

So if I were him I would choose New York in a heart beat over a football town like Dallas.

Maroon87
05-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

So if I were him I would choose New York in a heart beat over a football town like Dallas.

He's also gonna go somewhere where he doesn't have to play second fiddle to anyone, including the owner. I couldn't even tell you who owns the Knicks...:thinking:

eagles_victory
05-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Lebron is going to have to go off huge back to back games or the Cavs season is over.

Emerson1
05-13-2010, 05:46 PM
It's funny how much Dirk gets bashed as a choker, yet Lebron has done nothing in his career that is any different.

At least Dirk won two games before being swept out of the finals.

eagles_victory
05-13-2010, 05:56 PM
It's funny how much Dirk gets bashed as a choker, yet Lebron has done nothing in his career that is any different.

At least Dirk won two games before being swept out of the finals. I guess the fact that Lebron is obviously a better player or the fact that Dirk has played in twice as many playoff series.

TheDOCTORdre
05-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I guess the fact that Lebron is obviously a better player or the fact that Dirk has played in twice as many playoff series.

or could it be the fact that Dirk has been in the league twice as long as James and has the exact same thing to show for it, a championship appearance.

TheDOCTORdre
05-13-2010, 08:10 PM
mo williams looks like he wants it

eagles_victory
05-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Wish this James guy would decide to make a jump shot.

Emerson1
05-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
or could it be the fact that Dirk has been in the league twice as long as James and has the exact same thing to show for it, a championship appearance.
Dirk has only been in the league 5 years longer. And according to a lot of folks he isn't even a top 10 player in the league while Lebron is #1 or #2.

Cavs were a 61 win team this year remember and have a supporting cast much greater then what the Mavs did in the playoffs

TheDOCTORdre
05-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Dirk has only been in the league 5 years longer. And according to a lot of folks he isn't even a top 10 player in the league while Lebron is #1 or #2.

Cavs were a 61 win team this year remember and have a supporting cast much greater then what the Mavs did in the playoffs

my bad that puts Dirk at 11 years and Lebron at 6...thats nowhere close to twice as long is it, the mavs and dirk will be forever remembered for blowing a 2-0 series lead over the Heat, while in reality when the Cavs made their final appearance Lebron carried them their, but no one really expected them to beat the Spurs

eagles_victory
05-13-2010, 11:13 PM

Cavs were a 61 win team this year remember and have a supporting cast much greater then what the Mavs did in the playoffs Boston was a lot better than San Antonio. Supporting cast better thats debatable Cleveland didnt have a Caron Butler type who could get 35 and carry a team to a win by himself like Dallas did.

big daddy russ
05-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Boston was a lot better than San Antonio. Supporting cast better thats debatable Cleveland didnt have a Caron Butler type who could get 35 and carry a team to a win by himself like Dallas did.
Boston this year better than SA '07? Do you really believe that?

eagles_victory
05-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Boston this year better than SA '07? Do you really believe that? When did I say that?

Maroon87
05-14-2010, 06:53 AM
Cleveland looked like they gave up with 1:30 left down by 9. I don't get that.:confused:

greenhornet
05-14-2010, 07:26 AM
I haven't watched the Cavs a whole lot this year, but LBJ's supporting cast is terrible from what I have seen. Outside of D.Wade he might have the worst team around him out of the elite players.

StangEm
05-14-2010, 08:41 AM
LBJ's true loyalty will be tested this offseason. Rumor has it that Cleveland can offer $125 million over 6 years and the next closest team out there can only offer $96 million over 5. The difference is ~$1 million/yr. That's what ESPN stated this morning so take it for what you will but it makes you wonder if the extra money will keep him there for the coming years.

IMO...I think he's gonna look at the greener pastures that the rest of the NBA has to offer. They brought Shaq in to help him this year and let's face it, he's not the answer. After he flubbed the layup at the end of the 2nd qtr last night that would have tied them up and may have given just and ounce more confidence to the rest of the squad, I have to say he needs to hang em up.

I'd like to see LBJ team up with Chris Bosh, another free agent, in Chicago but that's two huge salaries to squeeze into one offseason.

Emerson1
05-14-2010, 11:03 AM
LBJ's true loyalty will be tested this offseason. Rumor has it that Cleveland can offer $125 million over 6 years and the next closest team out there can only offer $96 million over 5. The difference is ~$1 million/yr. That's what ESPN stated this morning so take it for what you will but it makes you wonder if the extra money will keep him there for the coming years.

The money he would make in the marketing world in New York City would cancel out what extra he would have in salary in Cleveland

eagles_victory
05-14-2010, 01:38 PM

IMO...I think he's gonna look at the greener pastures that the rest of the NBA has to offer. They brought Shaq in to help him this year and let's face it, he's not the answer. After he flubbed the layup at the end of the 2nd qtr last night that would have tied them up and may have given just and ounce more confidence to the rest of the squad, I have to say he needs to hang em up.

I'd like to see LBJ team up with Chris Bosh, another free agent, in Chicago but that's two huge salaries to squeeze into one offseason. As a Cavs fan Id like to see Lebron stay but if I were him I wouldn't stay the team has no money to do anything in free agency and yes they have put some effort in to make the team better around him but the reason Cleveland has lost in the playoffs the last 2 years is because if you made a starting five out of the two teams on the court for Cleveland/Orlando only Lebron makes it from Cleveland where the other 4 starters would of been from Orlando and the case is the same this year. Its nearly impossible to win when the other team is better at the other 4 spots on the court.

TheDOCTORdre
05-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Last night after the game Garnett told Lebron that loyalty can end up hurting you and you can never get your youth back

Emerson1
05-14-2010, 02:24 PM
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/3540/dallasbasketballdotcom.gif