PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for the family & friends of the Red Mustache.

Bull's-eye
05-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Buddy Phillips. our beloved "Red Mustache", passed away yesterday morning. Buddy was a big fan of high school football, especially Bellville & Navasota. I met Buddy in 2003 and through him, became friends with many of his friends.

CheerMom
05-11-2010, 03:08 PM
My prayers go out to his family.

BrahmaMom
05-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Saw this on Facebook...and came "home" to mark the passing of a great man. He loved his Brahmas with his heart and soul. Talked to him many a night about Brahma ball. We missed his mustache and BB on the side of his head when he moved away. Bull's Eye, give our very best to his family for us. He was a big fan of #11 back in the day and very special to us. He was a fighter, a man of strength and faith. May God rest his soul...

venomous tat2
05-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Bellville & Navasota fans have lost a great fan and supporter . I met Buddy in 1984 and was impressed with him for his knowledge of Texas highschool football history the man was a walking history book, he and I became close like family the wife and kids were very fond of him . I lost a great friend . My prayers to his family the Bellville supporters & Navasota supporters . :(

zebrablue2
05-11-2010, 04:13 PM
RIP Elmer. I know he will be looking down this way on Friday nights..

navscanmaster
05-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Prayers from myself and the Bellville guys on my crew. You are right, he will be missed.:(

Bull's-eye
05-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Buddy was a graduate of Bellville, but lived many years in Navasota. When I met him in 2003, he was the Brahmas #1 fan. He loved to watch the boys practice, sometimes he would drive almost on the field to get a closer look. Buddy was always good friends with the Navasota coaches, especially coach Wilson, but became a big fan of coach Fedora and his staff. During these years, I heard rumors that the mustache would sometimes be a Navasota blue. Buddy was also good friends with Marlin's coach Jerry Malone & his staff. We had some good times following the Bulldogs during many of their playoff runs. If you ever had a chance to meet Buddy, you would never forget him. He was a walking encyclopedia when it came to Texas high school football, but also a great friend.

SintonFan
05-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Prayers sent to him and his family.

Phil C
05-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Prayers sent to him and his family.

Prayers from me too. We lost a good man. :(

HEMOTOXIC
05-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Buddy will definitely be missed. Prayers from Rattler Nation. And yes, he loved his Bellville Brahmas and his adobted team, the Rattlers. The last time that I saw him was at the Navasota vs Gilmer game. What a game that was.

UPanIN
05-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Prayers to Buddy's family.

I was outside working one time and he just stop introduced himself and we begin talking HS sports. After that anytime he saw me outside he'd stop. He loved Bellville sports and became a Rattler supporter for many years also. He'll be missed.

OldBison75
05-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Texas High School Sports has lost a true legend. Buddy was what all true high school sports fans should try to be. He loved Bellville and adopted Navasota after he moved here, but he was a fan of all teams. He loved to watch young men and women compete and once told me that there were more life lessons learned on a football field than in any other school activity. Buddy would congratulate you when you won, cry with you when you lost, and never say a bad thing about a kid that was on the field, whether sitting the bench or starting. He encouraged all to make the best of whateer life dealt them. I watched the man stand in pouring rain and having to protect the trachyotomy on his throat to cheer for the Rattlers and Bellville . I have seen him at games when anybody else would have staed home from the wet and cold weather. At the Navasota vs Liberty Hill game in Temple, the man was everywhere, cheering his Ratlers on and after the game was near the Liberty Hill side congratulating and complimenting the LH fans and players on a great performance.

My prayers go out to the family and all of Texas High School sport over the loss of a good friend and true gentleman.

Bellville22
05-12-2010, 05:40 PM
We'll miss you, Buddy! He was a great man, a great conversation, a great fan, and a great friend!

navscanmaster
05-12-2010, 09:18 PM
I have to say again, I will miss seeing him. It was a ritual to look around the stands, especially when the snakes and cows met up, and spot him.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=255384&id=116887828336765#
Buddy with Emmanuel Sanders

necks
05-12-2010, 10:00 PM
I will miss my Uncle a great deal. He was so much fun talking high school sports with over the years. He loved his Brahmas dearly. His knowledge of the history and stats of Texas High School Football is unmatched. Rest in peace Uncle Buddy.

necks
05-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Memorial services for Elmer "Buddy" Phillips will be on Saturday at 4 pm @ The Lighthouse Church, 5925 W. Marshall Avenue, Longview, Texas 75604. If you need more information please contact Dale Phillips(son) at 903-918-5809.

Bull's-eye
05-13-2010, 12:43 AM
I started following Bellville football at the end of the 2002 season. I remember seeing this man with the red handlebar style mustache. At all the home games, my friends & I would always sit just to the right of the 50 yard line. For good luck, I would always have to look over my left shoulder and find the "Red Mustache" man. I finally met Buddy at a playoff game in Huntsville, both of us had arrived a little too early on a very cold night. Buddy suggested we get some hot chocolate and find a warm place to chat. After talking to Buddy, I found out we had some mutual friends. My best friend's dad had played football at Bellville, this happened to be the same man that showed a young Buddy the proper way to put on his shoulder pads.

From then on, we became very close friends. Buddy knew everybody and I was fortunate to make friends with a lot of his friends. If Buddy told you that he could get you into a game, believe him. Many times we would meet the coaches and end up watching the game from the sidelines or in the pressbox. I can't believe I only knew him 7 years, it seemed a lot longer. So many memories & good times in such a short span. I was truly blessed to have known him. :)

navscanmaster
05-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by necks
Memorial services for Elmer "Buddy" Phillips will be on Saturday at 4 pm @ The Lighthouse Church, 5925 W. Marshall Avenue, Longview, Texas 75604. If you need more information please contact Dale Phillips(son) at 903-918-5809.
I am in Longview working, but I will not be able to get away for it. I will try to pay my respects somehow though. Sorry for your family's loss.

pirate4state
05-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Sounds like he was a great man & fan of HS sports. May he RIP and may his family & friends always keep his memory alive!

Bull's-eye
05-16-2010, 11:36 AM
What a beautiful memorial service! It didn't take long to see that Buddy was a positive influence on a great number of people. Some of the coaches at Navasota suggested having a Buddy Phillips Classic, each year Bellville & Navasota would play a game in his honor. I'm all for it, let's get it done.

To my good friends from White Oak, you will have to come to this game. I'll get you a couple of caps that you can keep. ;)

necks
05-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Sounds like a good plan.

RED MUSTACHE JR
05-16-2010, 03:35 PM
I am Red Mustache Jr. I will be coming to visit from time to time to Honor Daddy. I want to Thank those who have posted comments about him. He meant so much to so many, I loved him but I am suppose to he is my Daddy. The coaches in Navasota thank you, Your Are Class Acts. Coach Wilson he loved you and your family I know this because he told me. His Memorial Paid Him The Honor He Earned. As in anything there is good and bad, but Daddy took A Turn To The Cross over a year ago and he stayed steadfast to the course. His reward was Passing though the Port Hole of Glory, He is in Heaven now. I am not able to grow a Mustache like Daddy but I have chosen Red Mustache Jr. as a Tribute to The Man I called Daddy.

navscanmaster
05-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by RED MUSTACHE JR
I am Red Mustache Jr. I will be coming to visit from time to time to Honor Daddy. I want to Thank those who have posted comments about him. He meant so much to so many, I loved him but I am suppose to he is my Daddy. The coaches in Navasota thank you, Your Are Class Acts. Coach Wilson he loved you and your family I know this because he told me. His Memorial Paid Him The Honor He Earned. As in anything there is good and bad, but Daddy took A Turn To The Cross over a year ago and he stayed steadfast to the course. His reward was Passing though the Port Hole of Glory, He is in Heaven now. I am not able to grow a Mustache like Daddy but I have chosen Red Mustache Jr. as a Tribute to The Man I called Daddy.

We are sorry for your loss, and hopefully it is comforting to know that he was known and respected by so many people.

44INAROW
05-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by RED MUSTACHE JR

sorry for your loss.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
05-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Buddy would call me from time to time talking about the Brahmas, and things going on in Bellville after he had moved to Longview. I will never forget the time we went to a Bellville baseball game during spring break and telling Buddy that Goerge Jones was playing in Snook that night, Buddy made a call to someone that he knew in the band and low and behold that night we were not Backstage but on the stage with the possom during the show! Buddy was a person that knew a lot of people. I will miss the calls from my friend Buddy and will think of him often.

Bull's-eye
05-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
I will never forget the time we went to a Bellville baseball game during spring break and telling Buddy that Goerge Jones was playing in Snook that night, Buddy made a call to someone that he knew in the band and low and behold that night we were not Backstage but on the stage with the possom during the show!

I remember that show, I still got pictures of you & your son. Somebody asked you if you had seen George Jone's wife Nancy, you replied that you didn't even know she was there. Me & Buddy were laughing because you had been carrying on a conversation with her and you didn't even know who she was. Buddy always got a good laugh hearing that story. :)

FormerBellvilleBrahma
05-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I remember that show, I still got pictures of you & your son. Somebody asked you if you had seen George Jone's wife Nancy, you replied that you didn't even know she was there. Me & Buddy were laughing because you had been carrying on a conversation with her and you didn't even know who she was. Buddy always got a good laugh hearing that story. :)

Sammy Kershaw was standing side me during the show and I asked her to take a picture with Kershaw and I, did not know it was George Jones wife untill after the picture, Sammy told me who she was. That will be somthing to remember the rest of my life, all thanks to Buddy.