PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Carpenter traded to Rams

Bearkat
05-10-2010, 03:48 PM
IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys have officially restocked their offensive line depth, and Bobby Carpenter officially gets a starting opportunity elsewhere.

The Cowboys and Rams on Monday finalized the trade sending Carpenter to St. Louis for offensive tackle Alex Barron, a former 2005 first-round pick who, at the very least, will provide insurance behind projected new starting left tackle Doug Free.

The deal was delayed last week because Barron had to sign his second-round restricted free agent tender ($2.62 million) and both players had to pass physicals on Monday. Carpenter also had a $1.8 million playing-time incentive clause in the final year of his original rookie contract.

Barron was in Dallas on Monday and is expected to be on the field May 17 for the Cowboys' first OTA (organized team activity) practice session.

Barron, the 19th overall pick in 2005 - one spot ahead of former No. 20 selection Marcus Spears - replaces some of the veteran experience lost when the Cowboys released long-time starter Flozell Adams in April. Barron has started 74 of 76 career games, including two seasons at left tackle.

Barron and Carpenter were made expendable by their old teams during the NFL Draft.

In the second round the Cowboys took Penn State linebacker Sean Lee, who is versatile enough to back up both inside linebacker spots and compete for Carpenter's old nickel reps with second-year veteran Jason Williams.

Carpenter, the 18th overall pick in the 2006 draft, never became a starter in Dallas but did a solid job as the nickel linebacker in 2009. He appeared in 48 career regular-season games (one start) with 64 tackles and 3.5 sacks as well as 45 special teams stops.

In St. Louis, he'll play in a 4-3 scheme - arguably a better fit for his speed and range - and could push to start at weak-side linebacker next to fellow Ohio State alumni Na'il Diggs and James Laurinaitis.

Barron is also getting a fresh start. The Rams took University of Indiana tackle Rodger Saffold in the second round and plan to start him at right tackle, with former first-round pick Jason Smith moving to Barron's old left side.

The Cowboys' backup tackles are talented but unproven. Fifth-year veteran Pat McQuistan has appeared on offense in just a handful of regular-season games and could be shifted to guard. Then there are essentially two rookies, 2010 sixth-round pick Sam Young and second-year vet Robert Brewster, who spent his entire 2009 rookie season recovering from a torn pectoral muscle.

If Barron begins the season as the swing tackle, he could fill in at either side if needed and prevent what's presumably a reluctant emergency strategy: moving right guard Leonard Davis to tackle. That would require the Cowboys to install a new starter at two line positions, and Davis to play on the edge for the first time since his stint with the Arizona Cardinals (2001-06).

With Barron strengthening their tackle depth, the Cowboys also have two interior backups capable of playing guard and center: Holland and Cory Procter. They also like the development and potential of Travis Bright, an undrafted guard who spent last year on the practice squad.

DU_stud04
05-10-2010, 03:51 PM
one man's trash, another man's treasure going both ways here? both first round draft picks, both sup par performers. zzz zzz zzz..........

Bull's-eye
05-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Carpenter's days were numbered, especially when the Cowboys drafted Sean Lee. Baron gives Dallas some depth on the line & could be an insurance policy if Free struggles at LT. Baron has had his problems with false starts, but has improved over the last couple of seasons. Appears to be a good trade for both teams.

Eagle 1
05-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Good riddance goldy locks.
I had great expectations for Carpenter when Dallas first drafted him, but IMO he never lived up to those expectations.

eagles_victory
05-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Good riddance goldy locks.
I had great expectations for Carpenter when Dallas first drafted him, but IMO he never lived up to those expectations. Dont get me wrong Im glad Bobby is gone and agree with you to an extent but Im not sure he was given much of a chance to ever be a starter sometimes a guy just needs to be thrown into the fire.

Eagle 1
05-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Dont get me wrong Im glad Bobby is gone and agree with you to an extent but Im not sure he was given much of a chance to ever be a starter sometimes a guy just needs to be thrown into the fire.
He was thrown in the fire on most nickle-dime sets and still got burned.;)

eagles_victory
05-10-2010, 09:35 PM
He was thrown in the fire on most nickle-dime sets and still got burned.;) He played pretty good this past year. I don't really get all the Carpenter hate was he great no was he somewhat of a bust sure... but he was servicable as a player and did some things well people act like he was just utterly useless and the worst player in the league and I dont see that at all.

JasperDog94
05-10-2010, 10:50 PM
If Carpenter had just juiced it up like we do here in Houston he would have been a better player. :doh: ;) ;)

greenhornet
05-11-2010, 07:37 AM
The thing about Carpenter is he has been on special teams his entire tenure with the Cowboys and he hasn't even made plays versus other teams backups. He isn't quick enough to cover and doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of taking on blocks from NFL lineman=terrible NFL LB. Not sure what the Rams see there but GREAT riddance!

Txbroadcaster
05-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by greenhornet
He isn't quick enough to cover

I dont know where this perception started..HE was the Nickel LB that each week was assigned to cover the TEs..Go back and look, Dallas took on some great TEs this year and Carpenter did a great job the whole year

Eagle 1
05-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I dont know where this perception started..HE was the Nickel LB that each week was assigned to cover the TEs..Go back and look, Dallas took on some great TEs this year and Carpenter did a great job the whole year

I don't know where this perception started either.
Maybe where not talking about the same Carpenter? :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWOCIMtOqDw

Txbroadcaster
05-11-2010, 10:15 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWOCIMtOqDw

again..go look at the numbers..TEs did not do alot of damage to Dallas this year and that was his primary job in the nickel and Dallas playd some top TEs

eagles_victory
05-11-2010, 11:14 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWOCIMtOqDw Giving up a 5 yard underneath pass and helping force a guy out of bounds several yards short of the first down on 3rd and 17. He missed the tackle but he slowed him up for help to arrive not a great play but not terrible. If you want to trash a guy you have got to pick a better play than that. You act like he was Roy Williams back there and beat like a drum every week.

greenhornet
05-11-2010, 01:02 PM

I gained this perception by watching the Cowboys EVERY game! He gets burned in coverage and doesn't tackle well in space=not quick!

Txbroadcaster
05-11-2010, 01:12 PM
I gained this perception by watching the Cowboys EVERY game! He gets burned in coverage and doesn't tackle well in space=not quick!

again the numbers dont back that up. The nickel D was one of the best this year in stopping teams on 3rd downs and part that is Carpenter doing a good job of covering the TE in space and shutting down some dang good TEs

LionKing
05-11-2010, 01:16 PM
The only reason he was drafted was because Parcells was the coach at the time, and Bobby's dad played for Parcells with the Giants.

Eagle 1
05-11-2010, 01:16 PM
again the numbers dont back that up. The nickel D was one of the best this year in stopping teams on 3rd downs and part that is Carpenter doing a good job of covering the TE in space and shutting down some dang good TEs

http://i39.tinypic.com/2u4poah.gif

If he was so good, why did the Cowboys trade him? :thinking:

greenhornet
05-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Well if you want to go to the numbers we also were 7th in sacks which helps out coverage tremendously. He is not the only guy covering, those numbers don't really paint an accurate portrayal of Carpenter. Did you ever watch the few times he got sent on a stunt? Dude got swallowed up usually.

Txbroadcaster
05-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Well if you want to go to the numbers we also were 7th in sacks which helps out coverage tremendously. He is not the only guy covering, those numbers don't really paint an accurate portrayal of Carpenter. Did you ever watch the few times he got sent on a stunt? Dude got swallowed up usually.

yea he also got 2 sacks in limited time..again I am not saying he was a stud or even great..I am saying fans got a perception of him from early on and no matter how solid he was the fans still think oh he sucked no matter how he played

The dude was yanked from ILB to OLB back to OB back to ILB until settling into his nickel role. The one game he start the Seattle play off game he was almost dominating. But his style of play just did not fit this D..he is a 4-3 OLB on the weakside that can use his speed to run down plays. n this D he was being asked to fight off OL and that is simply not a strnegth of his

Eagle..he was traded because they brought someone in that fit the system better simple as that.

greenhornet
05-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Career Stats-4 seasons

avgd 24 tackles a season(includes assists)
" .8 sacks a season
" 0 interceptions
" .5 passes defended

Keep in mind he had ample opportunity on ST as well. You are right dude the numbers don't lie. We are really gonna miss this kind of production. Damn! I can't believe we let a stud like this get away.

So which perception is correct?

Eagle 1
05-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Career Stats-4 seasons

" .8 sacks a season
" 0 interceptions
" .5 passes defended

Keep in mind he had ample opportunity on ST as well. You are right dude the numbers don't lie. We are really gonna miss this kind of production. Damn! I can't believe we let a stud like this get away.

:clap:

eagles_victory
05-11-2010, 02:45 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2u4poah.gif

If he was so good, why did the Cowboys trade him? :thinking: There was a greater need at offensive line than linebacker.

Farmersfan
05-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Another STAT that needs stated is that his own teammates called him Barbie Carpenter. That tells the whole story as far as I'm concerned..................... I saw a interview with one of the Cowboy veteran linemen who just laughed at the idea that "Barbie" was a good player. You might fool the silly fans but you can't fool the guys in your locker room!!

eagles_victory
05-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Another STAT that needs stated is that his own teammates called him Barbie Carpenter. That tells the whole story as far as I'm concerned..................... I saw a interview with one of the Cowboy veteran linemen who just laughed at the idea that "Barbie" was a good player. You might fool the silly fans but you can't fool the guys in your locker room!! What about the other 61 guys on the team?

eagles_victory
05-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by LionKing
The only reason he was drafted was because Parcells was the coach at the time, and Bobby's dad played for Parcells with the Giants. You honestly think that kind of brother in lawing goes on when it comes to a first round pick in the NFL draft.

Eagle 1
05-11-2010, 02:58 PM
There was a greater need at offensive line than linebacker.
Really? So that's why the Cowboys drafted linebacker Sean Lee in the second round?

greenhornet
05-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Really? So that's why the Cowboys drafted linebacker Sean Lee in the second round?

Great point!

The dude was a scrub!

Parcells had ties w/ Barbie's pops and mistakenly saw him as a "Parcells guy". One of the worst picks I can remember for the Cowboys. He wasn't even the best LB on his college team.

crzyjournalist03
05-11-2010, 03:04 PM

umm, yeah. Sean Lee was the best player on the Cowboys' board at the time. The Cowboys took the best available player, not the position that they needed most.

Farmersfan
05-11-2010, 03:11 PM
What about the other 61 guys on the team?

If I had seen an interview with them i would have included them in the statement!!!!!!
But I dont' think it even matters. A player isn't going to call out another player unless he is confident his opinion is shared by most of the others. The term "Barbie" was a everyday occurance with the other players. I would bet on it!

gold_33
05-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Barbie was absolutely terrible, the guy missed tons of tackles and at times looked scared to stick his nose in there and hit someone. Id rather have a guy that can cover and tackle rather than someone that is decent in coverage sometimes but cant make a play if the guy does catch it. You cant be a one dimensional linebacker in the NFL or a special teams guy especially if your a first round pick. He was a wasted pick, 5 guys picked after him in the first round are pro bowlers including DeMeco Ryans who was the first pick in the second round by the Texans. Good trade, the Rams can have him.

eagles_victory
05-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Really? So that's why the Cowboys drafted linebacker Sean Lee in the second round? Yes because filling the linebacker need in this draft was easier than filling the need of an offensive lineman based on what was available.

LionKing
05-11-2010, 03:16 PM
You honestly think that kind of brother in lawing goes on when it comes to a first round pick in the NFL draft. No I don't think it happened, it DID happen, as another poster stated, Parcells thought he'd be one of his ''types'' just like his dad was for him in New York.

eagles_victory
05-11-2010, 03:18 PM
No I don't think it happened, it DID happen, as another poster stated, Parcells thought he'd be one of his ''types'' just like his dad was for him in New York. Oh so Carpenter was like a fifth rounder on everyones elses board and Dallas just drafted him in the first round because his dad was on Parcells team?

Or is it that he was one of his "types" meaning the type of player he likes the type of player that would fit good in his system and the type of player that he thought would make his team better. Isnt that what your suppose to do when you draft someone?

Eagle 1
05-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Yes because filling the linebacker need in this draft was easier than filling the need of an offensive lineman based on what was available.
Which tells me Jones was probably already thinking about trading Carpenter.
Like him or not, Jones can get good players just not good coaches IMO.

eagles_victory
05-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Like him or not, Jones can get good players just not good coaches IMO. I don't disagree with that at all. Your probably right they said we will take Lee the best player left on our board and open up a spot for him by trading Carpenter which I think was a good move. I asure you I am very happy with this trade just don't think Carpenter was as bad as everyone else does.

LionKing
05-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Oh so Carpenter was like a fifth rounder on everyones elses board and Dallas just drafted him in the first round because his dad was on Parcells team?

Or is it that he was one of his "types" meaning the type of player he likes the type of player that would fit good in his system and the type of player that he thought would make his team better. Isnt that what your suppose to do when you draft someone? Okay, one more time.
Parcells drafted Bobby Carpenter because his dad Rob Carpenter was a very good player for Parcells many years ago, he knew Bobby pretty much his whole life, so, knowing how his dad was, and the fact Bobby was a starting linebacker for Ohio State, Parcells assumed Bobby would be the ''type'' player he was looking for, for his team (Dallas Cowboys), but Parcells left, and Bobby never materialized into the ''Parcells'' type player, now even Parcells doesn't want him either because he even knows, now Bobby's a Ram, maybe he can put together some good seasons there and become a decent NFL player.

eagles_victory
05-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Okay, one more time.
Parcells drafted Bobby Carpenter because his dad Rob Carpenter was a very good player for Parcells many years ago, he knew Bobby pretty much his whole life, so, knowing how his dad was, and the fact Bobby was a starting linebacker for Ohio State, Parcells assumed Bobby would be the ''type'' player he was looking for, for his team (Dallas Cowboys), but Parcells left, and Bobby never materialized into the ''Parcells'' type player, now even Parcells doesn't want him either because he even knows, now Bobby's a Ram, maybe he can put together some good seasons there and become a decent NFL player. You act like if Dallas wouldn't of taken him he would of went undrafted or something. I promise you more when into picking him than just that such as the combine measurables and what they saw on tape and probably more than that.

Txbroadcaster
05-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Career Stats-4 seasons

" .8 sacks a season
" 0 interceptions
" .5 passes defended

dude I am not sayinf he was a great LB..I am saying he was not as bad last year as fans who have a perception of him already formed.

I even said I WAS NOT SAYING HE WAS A STUD OR EVEN GREAT

LionKing
05-11-2010, 03:48 PM
You act like if Dallas wouldn't of taken him he would of went undrafted or something. I promise you more when into picking him than just that such as the combine measurables and what they saw on tape and probably more than that. Not trying to disturb or argue with you, just posting pretty common knowledge about why Parcells drafted Bobby Carpenter, he already knew him, his potential and family NFL background were enough for Parcells and Jerry Jones to believe he'd be a solid NFL linebacker, so much that they made him a 1st round pick, nothing wrong with it at the time, 1st round picks end as busts every year, hopefully Bobby won't be a total bust.

greenhornet
05-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Like him or not, Jones can get good players just not good coaches IMO.

Carpenter was definitely on the trading block prior to the draft, no takers. Very surprised there was a taker after.

greenhornet
05-11-2010, 05:49 PM
dude I am not sayinf he was a great LB..I am saying he was not as bad last year as fans who have a perception of him already formed.

Those stats are BAD!!! No other way to slice it, you were the one who wanted to talk about team stats now you want to disregard HIS stats??????

Txbroadcaster
05-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Those stats are BAD!!! No other way to slice it, you were the one who wanted to talk about team stats now you want to disregard HIS stats??????

yes those stats for his career are not good..AGAIN NEVER SAID THEY WERE.

His stats LAST YEAR in his first year as the nickel LB were SOLID...NOT GREAT...NOT AMAZING...but Solid. He played well..AGAIN I AM NOT SAYING HE PLAYED GREAT.

And my whole point was on THIS PAST SEASON..not his career

greenhornet
05-11-2010, 06:07 PM
The Seahawk game you brought up wasn't last year! You will try anything to stick up for this guy.....related or something?

We have definitely had some holes in our LB corps during Carpenter's tenure and he has never been able to step up and claim one of those spots. Make all the argument you like but the stats and the Cowboys coaches' opinions of this guy speak much louder than you or I.

Txbroadcaster
05-11-2010, 06:11 PM
The Seahawk game you brought up wasn't last year! You will try anything to stick up for this guy.....related or something?

We have definitely had some holes in our LB corps during Carpenter's tenure and he has never been able to step up and claim one of those spots. Make all the argument you like but the stats and the Cowboys coaches' opinions of this guy speak much louder than you or I.

honestly..are you just arguing to argue? I am glad he was traded..I think Lee is the ILB of the future, I dont think Carpenter fit in here

The mention of the Seattle game was simply the one game he did start he had a really good game

AGAIN..HE WAS NOT THE LB THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE GETTING.

All I have said from the beginning of this thread is he was SOLID as the nickel LB last year but fans turned on his so bad that they just cant see he was at leaset servicable as the nickel LB.

I really honestly think your just not reading my posts or your just wanting to argue because your taking things I am saying and running in the opposite direction of the meaning

greenhornet
05-11-2010, 06:48 PM

So was he "solid" or "great"???

greenhornet
05-11-2010, 06:50 PM

So did you say he was great or solid or both?

You have been the one backtracking and changing your story. You wanted to talk stats and I posted his sorry stats, but I'm the one that just wants to argue. I just strongly disagree with you and have illustrated why.

Txbroadcaster
05-11-2010, 07:28 PM
So did you say he was great or solid or both?

You have been the one backtracking and changing your story. You wanted to talk stats and I posted his sorry stats, but I'm the one that just wants to argue. I just strongly disagree with you and have illustrated why.

I wanted to talk stats from LAST YEAR..not his career..I said he covered TEs great..that does not mean he played the complete game great..it was one facet he did excel at..he still got lost in space when making tackles, he still was not physical enough in contact. As you mentioned earlier, while he had two sacks, to many times he ran a LB stunt and got ate up..so OVERALL his game last year was solid one of the main reasons being he was able to cover the TEs

Once again I have not backtracked once from my original point..Last year he was played better in the nickel LB role than fans want to give him credit for because they had turned on him so much.

SintonFan
05-11-2010, 07:33 PM
I think this is a good trade for both teams.

Bobby Carpenter last year did make strides compared to years before.
I agree with those above. He was very solid last year. Not spectacular, but pretty good and solid.

Old hat now. Bring on Sean Lee!

greenhornet
05-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Maybe the whole problem is we have way different definitions of solid.

When you are a fourth year mid first round pick and the ONE thing you claim he does well is cover TE's, when a lot of teams don't even have a legit receiving threat at TE(especially nickel situations). NOT SOLID

THE most important skill I want in a LB is tackling and pretty much everyone who commented is in agreement that this is a weakness for Bobby.

Eagle 1
05-11-2010, 07:53 PM
I agree, when I think of Linebacker, I think of tackling first, then pass coverage second.
I would think most people agree.
He also probably got the nickle starting job because Dallas had nobody else to put out there in their 3-4 defense and not because he could cover the pass. JMO.

Txbroadcaster
05-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Maybe the whole problem is we have way different definitions of solid.

When you are a fourth year mid first round pick and the ONE thing you claim he does well is cover TE's, when a lot of teams don't even have a legit receiving threat at TE(especially nickel situations). NOT SOLID

THE most important skill I want in a LB is tackling and pretty much everyone who commented is in agreement that this is a weakness for Bobby.

My thing is..I dont look at any player and say ok he is a first rounder so he should have progressed to point a....I look at it as for his career until last year he had not done jack except one play off game. When Burnett did not resign there was concern about how Carpenter would do at the nickel LB spot. He performed above what most of us thought he could.

I disagree with your point about TE in nickel situations. The TE in pros are probably the biggest threat on the 3rd down plays. Very few teams take their TE off the field when they go to the 3 wide. They go one back and have the TE either stay at TE or become more of a H-Back.

Txbroadcaster
05-11-2010, 08:01 PM
I agree, when I think of Linebacker, I think of tackling first, then pass coverage second.
I would think most people agree.
He also probably got the nickle starting job because Dallas had nobody else to put out there in their 3-4 defense and not because he could cover the pass. JMO.

I think everyone thinks that when they think LB..to be able to tackle be physical..but..in saying that The 3-4 defense the ILB( and OLB) have to be able to cover TEs, and RB

Look back in 07 and 08..Dallas struggled with pass coverage..one of the main reasons Zach Thomas did not have as good of a year his time in Dallas was his lack of ability anymore to cover in the passing game..Bradie James still at times struggles with it even though he has improved a ton in coverage.

But if you cant trust either your ILB or your nickel LB to cover, you then have to either give them help from the OLBs or the safeties which then does not allow your defense to truly unleash the blitz packages.

greenhornet
05-11-2010, 08:05 PM
My thing is..I dont look at any player and say ok he is a first rounder so he should have progressed to point a....I look at it as for his career until last year he had not done jack except one play off game. When Burnett did not resign there was concern about how Carpenter would do at the nickel LB spot. He performed above what most of us thought he could.

I disagree with your point about TE in nickel situations. The TE in pros are probably the biggest threat on the 3rd down plays. Very few teams take their TE off the field when they go to the 3 wide. They go one back and have the TE either stay at TE or become more of a H-Back.

Top 20 for receiving in the NFL for 2009
only the 12th spot A. Gates and the 16th you guessed it Dallas Clark spots were earned by TE's and only 6 more if you go top 40

I once again would have to disagree, even if you want to throw in only on 3rd downs....lol because I know that's coming. I'm so glad you brought stats into the conversation earlier.

Txbroadcaster
05-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Top 20 for receiving in the NFL for 2009
only the 12th spot A. Gates and the 16th you guessed it Dallas Clark spots were earned by TE's and only 6 more if you go top 40

I once again would have to disagree, even if you want to throw in only on 3rd downs....lol because I know that's coming. I'm so glad you brought stats into the conversation earlier.

of the top 30 WR/TE in first down catches 6 of them are TEs..now factor in most teams will have one true Pass catching TE on the field compared to the 2 or 3 WRs on the field

6 of the top 20 spots in TD catches were TEs...and it is not the same 6 in both stats.

In receptions 8 of the top 25 were TEs

greenhornet
05-11-2010, 08:34 PM
of the top 30 WR/TE in first down catches 6 of them are TEs..now factor in most teams will have one true Pass catching TE on the field compared to the 2 or 3 WRs on the field

6 of the top 20 spots in TD catches were TEs...and it is not the same 6 in both stats.

In receptions 8 of the top 25 were TEs

I don't get your logic, these numbers aren't in your favor. 6 out of 30 top 1st downs is much different than "biggest threat on 3rd downs."

Txbroadcaster
05-11-2010, 08:43 PM
I don't get your logic, these numbers aren't in your favor. 6 out of 30 top 1st downs is much different than "biggest threat on 3rd downs."

Off the top of my head I cant name a team that has two TOP TEs..so factor in that basically there are 32 TEs starting( i know Dallas does two TE alot but I dont think of Bennett as a legit pass catcher YET).

factor in on all the stats I gave it was a total of 15 diff TEs that means out of 32 teams there are 15 of them that had a TE that was in the top% of either first down catches, TDs or in receptions.

good debate..love talking this kind of stuff

Txbroadcaster
05-11-2010, 08:55 PM
here was an article about the TE in the draft this year

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d817e334b&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

greenhornet
05-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Off the top of my head I cant name a team that has two TOP TEs..so factor in that basically there are 32 TEs starting( i know Dallas does two TE alot but I dont think of Bennett as a legit pass catcher YET).

factor in on all the stats I gave it was a total of 15 diff TEs that means out of 32 teams there are 15 of them that had a TE that was in the top% of either first down catches, TDs or in receptions.

good debate..love talking this kind of stuff

Ok so once again let me break down what you are saying; against less than half the teams on about 1/4 of the plays he helps coverage, however if a catch is allowed he won't be of great help. Not my kind of player!

Txbroadcaster
05-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Ok so once again let me break down what you are saying; against less than half the teams on about 1/4 of the plays he helps coverage, however if a catch is allowed he won't be of great help. Not my kind of player!

LOl again...I never said Carpenter should not be traded..from the first point in this thread I said Carpenter played better last year than alot of the fans want to give him credit for because they had turned on him a long time ago.

bandera7
05-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Having a linebacker that can cover a TE is valuable, because the TE is at times such a mismatch. Carpenter was becoming good at that. However, this was a good trade, because Carpenter was not a complete player. He did serve a role, just not one that made him worthy of holding on to when somebody like Barron came along on the trade block.

That is basically what Tx is saying. I agree.

Eagle 1
05-12-2010, 08:18 AM
I guess it's just a matter of opinion.
Like I said at the begining of the thread, I had great expectations for him when Dallas first drafted him.
He was graded as a "D+" linebacker.
Read the link.

http://dallascowboystimes.com/2010/05/report-bobby-carpenter-to-st-louis-for-alex-barron-deal-close/

greenhornet
05-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Assuming the teams are able to overcome the financial issues, the deal appears to be a good one for Dallas. In our projected 53-man roster, we had Carpenter being cut. We feel the Cowboys will be lucky to receive anything for him. The Rams likely feel the same way about, per the article.

Why would they cut such a valuable commodity??????????

bandera7
05-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Did Carpenter just beat the crap out of you when you were a little kid? cause seriously, you completely ignore every post explaining why he wasnt the worst player in the NFL