PDA

View Full Version : Move Ins and Established Players

Bullaholic
05-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Been a while since we have discussed this one.

If a stud player moves in to your school, should they be allowed to bump a player of any class down on the roster? This has got to be a very delicate and difficult situation for coaches.

bigwood33
05-10-2010, 10:29 AM
The best players play. It is about winning.

PPSTATEBOUND
05-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Yes.

Bullaholic
05-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
The best players play. It is about winning.

I agree with that at the varsity level, but it has to be very hard for the coaches and the bumped player and parents to accept, especially if they were a really good, hard-working kid going into their senior year. I think it is probably a little more easily handled in the big programs, but in the little one town-one school situations it seems to be much higher profile.

bigwood33
05-10-2010, 10:45 AM
If the kid is a player, he can possibly change positions and or platoon for playing time. I know it sounds tough but you have got to put winning 1st.
I will tell a quick story. My wife graduated from Brownwood in '82. Her class was the last Lions team to win state. Jimmy Morris (of The Rookie fame) expected to be the starter at QB that year (senior) but Brownwood got a great move in from Blanket named Tyler Tabor (his mom worked at BHS for years before and after). Tyler was the perfect fit and the rest is history. Jimmy moved to WR and got 1st team All- State WR and Punter.

See, that wasn't too long of a story:)

ronwx5x
05-10-2010, 11:14 AM
If the kid is a player, he can possibly change positions and or platoon for playing time. I know it sounds tough but you have got to put winning 1st.
I will tell a quick story. My wife graduated from Brownwood in '82. Her class was the last Lions team to win state. Jimmy Morris (of The Rookie fame) expected to be the starter at QB that year (senior) but Brownwood got a great move in from Blanket named Tyler Tabor (his mom worked at BHS for years before and after). Tyler was the perfect fit and the rest is history. Jimmy moved to WR and got 1st team All- State WR and Punter.

See, that wasn't too long of a story:)

My guess is the WR who expected to be a starter before being bumped was not so happy!:D

baseballcoach13
05-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Thats part of what sports teaches kids, or should. The life lessons of the real world. If someone comes into your job and performs better and makes your boss more money, what happens? This the political BS that is part of the puddification of America.....Sit the kids down, explain the situation and tell them they can accept it, be a man and make the best or hit the road.

bigwood33
05-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Isn't this really the same question that people ask about underclassmen and playing time. If a sophomore gives you a better chance to win than a senior, the soph needs to start. It is as simple as that. The best 11 on each side of the ball should start. The others get playing time in backup roles.

LE Dad
05-10-2010, 11:53 AM
This happens alot in our schools programs, but it doesn't really affect much as almost every position is platooned. You may start 1 week and not the next, but you will still get alot of playing time if you are any good.

lostaussie
05-10-2010, 12:16 PM
My wife graduated from Brownwood in '82. Her class was the last Lions team to win state. That can't be possible:D

bigwood33
05-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Sadly, for Lions fans, it is :weeping: :weeping: Who knows what the coming season holds? It will be fun watching! BTW, Pilot Point got their 3rd last season and their 2nd was in '81...the same season as Brownwood's 7th.

Green Bling
05-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Being the bumped player is tough, and it's hard on those who care for or are fans of that player. We all know that this is a parallel for many other life situations. The stud player gets the nod as he should!

playnhurt
05-10-2010, 03:36 PM
If you had a senior QB and a Freshmen QB who were equally talented which one would you start?

BaseballUmp
05-10-2010, 03:43 PM
To me, there is no way to say 2 qbs are equally the same. There has to be some difference between the two...I say use them interchangeably or let the senior play...i mean the freshman still has 3 years left to play and mature into a good qb especially if hes near the same level as the senior. Kinda like a rookie qb coming into the nfl just learning the first year even if it is behind a qb that isnt that good. he still sits the first year and pays his dues and learns

Matthew328
05-10-2010, 04:01 PM
If they are of equal talent you play the senior and give the freshman 100% of the reps on subvarsity instead of 50% on varsity

bigwood33
05-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
If they are of equal talent you play the senior and give the freshman 100% of the reps on subvarsity instead of 50% on varsity
I agree Matt. The other thing to consider is that a freshman and a senior of equal talent do not have equal experience. Therefore, the senior gets the nod.

playnhurt
05-11-2010, 03:36 PM
But if you play the freshmen, how good will he be his soph, junior and senior seasons?

Rabid Cougar
05-11-2010, 06:04 PM
They do it every year in college football.
Best players play regardless.

the genious
05-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by playnhurt
If you had a senior QB and a Freshmen QB who were equally talented which one would you start?

EQUALLY is the key word if that freshman was a stud and better he would start just like Barkley at USC this year. If they are equally you will let the senior have his glory with a short leash

Kojak
05-11-2010, 09:58 PM
This is a very tough situation for everyone involved. It does come down to who is best. It wasn't the move in kids fault that he moved in.

Kojak
05-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Here is something for you GENIUS. If the freshman is as good as the senior, how are you helping the team by not playing the freshman on varsity. You say give the freshman all the reps on JV, but having varsity experience as a freshman would help the team out so much more the next year. How do you make that decision? I would really be wondering that if my kid was a junior on the team.

BILLYFRED0000
05-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Simple. The senior and freshman may have equal ability but not equal experience. I would let the frosh play the jv and give the freshman team the next fresh qb. That way the jv would have a good season and the freshman would get lots of Experience playing at a higher level than he ever has before.

playnhurt
05-12-2010, 01:38 PM
What if the Senior had been the back-up QB the last couple of years?

LE Dad
05-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Put both out there and see who runs the team better. That kid should be your starter in district.

playnhurt
05-12-2010, 01:49 PM
I think to many times parents think it is some kind of rite of passage that when their kid becomes a senior they deserve a starting position. I believe my job is to put the best 11 on the field.

BILLYFRED0000
05-12-2010, 01:52 PM
What if the Senior had been the back-up QB the last couple of years?

All things being equal giveit to the senior on the basis he paid his dues. IMHO there is a certain amount of loyalty on good teams and the kids know if they stick to it that they have a chance. The freshman will get his chance if he is that good but this is the senior's last chance. Bottom line is if they both work the system well and both are good leaders it does not make a playing difference at all. Then time in grade counts. If one is obviously better than the other then they are not equal and the question is moot.

ronwx5x
05-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Start the senior out of loyalty, but give equal playing time to both if that is what they both deserve. They both play, they both letter, the team isn't hurt, egos are preserved and everyone is reasonably happy. If after several games one or the other proves to be better in a game, start him.

Problem solved, next topic.

LE Dad
05-12-2010, 01:58 PM
I think to many times parents think it is some kind of rite of passage that when their kid becomes a senior they deserve a starting position. I believe my job is to put the best 11 on the field. Your job is to put the best kids out there and then listen to the parents of the seniors complain about it.

LH Panther Mom
05-12-2010, 07:30 PM
If you don't want a move-in/underclassman starting in your position, then you need to work harder and stop whining! :p

bobcat4life
05-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
If you don't want a move-in/underclassman starting in your position, then you need to work harder and stop whining! :p ditto

BleedOrange
05-12-2010, 07:48 PM
posted by LH Panther Mom
If you don't want a move-in/underclassman starting in your position, then you need to work harder and stop whining! :p

You got that right. Sometimes it appears there is disdain for the move-ins. Best kid plays provided they live up to the teams code of conduct and put in the requisite work. If not, have a seat at the end of the bench regardless of talent.