PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones In School

Bullaholic
05-10-2010, 10:19 AM
How do you feel about high school and below students using cell phones during school hours?

I think students should be required to put their cell phones in their lockers before class and take them out when they go home. Parents could reach the school office in event of emergencies.

What do you think?

bigwood33
05-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Agreed.

pirate4state
05-10-2010, 10:23 AM
We no longer have lockers issued to kids in Sinton. :eek:

My understanding is they aren't suppose to have them ON during school, but we all know they do. I think if they get busted their cell gets picked up and there is a three strike type policy in place?? *shrug*

I really don't care one way or the other. LOL :D

PPSTATEBOUND
05-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Leave them at the door.

Bullaholic
05-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

I really don't care one way or the other. LOL :D

:inlove: :D Now who would have thought that? :D

Emerson1
05-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
How do you feel about high school and below students using cell phones during school hours?

I think students should be required to put their cell phones in their lockers before class and take them out when they go home. Parents could reach the school office in event of emergencies.

What do you think?
Well they shouldn't be able to use them, but I would say 80% of HS students don't use their locker. When I was in HS they just took it up and a parent had to come to the principal to get it back. It was useless to even have it out because no where in the school had service.

MUSTANG69
05-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Ingleside used to have a policy(Don't know if they still do this) that if a student's cell phone was confiscated the parents had to pay a fine to get the phone back. I really don't know how effective that was. I think cell phones should be left at home or in the car. No phone in the classroom.

LE Dad
05-10-2010, 10:51 AM
My kid never takes his out.:D

He types by feel while it is in his pocket.:rolleyes:

My daughter on the otherhand is not so slick. She has had hers taken up twice for a week at a time and if it gets taken again its a 20 dollar fine.:doh:

Its nice to be able to contact them when I need. Our schools don't issue lockers and will not call kids to office unless you go up there.

My kids have a ringtone that adults can't hear, just plain sneaky.:p

garciap77
05-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad

My daughter on the otherhand is not so slick. She has had hers taken up twice for a week at a time and if it gets taken again its a 20 dollar fine.:doh:

Its nice to be able to contact them when I need. Our schools don't issue lockers and will not call kids to office unless you go up there.

My kids have a ringtone that adults can't hear, just plain sneaky.:p

$20.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Pay Up LE!!!!!!!!!

;)

Black_Magic
05-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad

My kids have a ringtone that adults can't hear, just plain sneaky.:p We take them up and its a $20 dollar fine the parent has to come up and pay every time it happens

Gobbler Fan
05-10-2010, 11:18 AM
We never had cell phones in school and managed to survive ... it's not hard to call school and let them relay a message .

Bullaholic
05-10-2010, 11:20 AM
I've seen kids clear down to 5th grade with cell phones.

Gobbler Fan
05-10-2010, 11:23 AM
We can add Cell phones as another reason why this gen. of kids think that playing outside ranks right up there with getting teeth pulled .

LE Dad
05-10-2010, 11:25 AM
I've seen kids clear down to 5th grade with cell phones. Yep but it is parents who will have the last laugh...GPS tracking is worth every penny. It answers that age old question... "do you know where your kids are?" :devil:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
We can add Cell phones as another reason why this gen. of kids think that playing outside ranks right up there with getting teeth pulled .

I probably spent more time out this weekend working than you did this month.

Maroon87
05-10-2010, 11:46 AM
I think it's helpful to have them in case of an emergency, but they should be left in a locker or backpack during class with the ringers off, kinda like when you go into a movie theater.

LE Dad
05-10-2010, 11:46 AM
We can add Cell phones as another reason why this gen. of kids think that playing outside ranks right up there with getting teeth pulled . Actually just the opposite. My kids get out more because they don't worry about missing an "important" phone call.

Gobbler Fan
05-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Important call = what are you wearing tomorrow ?

Gobbler Fan
05-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I dont think we have lockers or carry backpacks here in Cuero ...not sure what the policy is about cell phones

Ranger Mom
05-10-2010, 11:55 AM

We did that on regular old rotary phones when I was in school!!:D

GreenMonster
05-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I think in the not so distant future that text books will be obsolete and kids will have to bring their phones to school or a laptop etc to do their lessons on. All they will have to do is download the material from the internet. Textbooks are a huge expense to schools and are kept for 8-12 years before having to be replaced. If kids provide their own medium (phone, laptop, netbook, pda, etc) it would help lower the cost of education.

gtownfan
05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Was just talking with our principle about this (my son's in the 5th grade at a parochial school). Our school allows them, but they must be put away during school time. They can be taken if the child is found to be using them.

We tried ipod usage during study hall, but that did not work.

But the issue we are struggling with now is iPhone, other phones and devices (ipod with movies loaded on them) where there is unlimited internet access. In school, it's pretty easy to keep an eye on the kids regarding this. But on school trips (riding the big yellow dog) and athletic trips, it's really hard to monitor the kids then. Texting and phone calls are not a major concern, but internet access is.

But what do you do? Take them all away when they go on the trip and let them have them back as needed (to talk to a parent to discuss arrival times)? A teacher carrying around 50 cell phones would be a pain, plus then being responsible for them!

Any other schools addressing the internet issue on school/athletic trips?

BaseballUmp
05-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I think in the not so distant future that text books will be obsolete and kids will have to bring their phones to school or a laptop etc to do their lessons on. All they will have to do is download the material from the internet. Textbooks are a huge expense to schools and are kept for 8-12 years before having to be replaced. If kids provide their own medium (phone, laptop, netbook, pda, etc) it would help lower the cost of education.
I like this idea a lot, but I do not see how you can expect ever single student to provide their own laptop to download books and assignments onto. Had a discussion the other day about how we thought the new IPad and Kindle would soon replace textbooks, and I could see that being possible for college students because most of them have to have a laptop to survive, but when we get to talking about middle school and up having to have some form of technology...some familys just will not be able to provide them with that, then imagine a family of 6 or 8 having to supply each child with one so that they can have them in class with them.

Although I think it is a great idea and not far off in my opinion, for school districts to implement this would not be very favorable to alot of people

playnhurt
05-10-2010, 02:07 PM
I've been kinda lax about in my classroom this year but next year I plan on cracking the whip!

BEAST
05-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

Apple laptops are already distributed to students at Brownwood High. This was the first year. You get one when you start HS as a Freshman and keep the same one all the way through. Then the student can buy it relatively cheap. Homework is emailed to the teacher and so on.

BEAST

BullsFan
05-10-2010, 02:31 PM
I've seen kids clear down to 5th grade with cell phones.

Much MUCH younger than 5th grade carry cell phones. Some of them have better phones than I do.

garciap77
05-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
We take them up and its a $20 dollar fine the parent has to come up and pay every time it happens
What do you do with the money that is collected?

Yoe_09
05-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Apple laptops are already distributed to students at Brownwood High. This was the first year. You get one when you start HS as a Freshman and keep the same one all the way through. Then the student can buy it relatively cheap. Homework is emailed to the teacher and so on.

I think that this could be possible within a lot of other school districts as well. Apple laptops are great but you could even go and get the relatively new mini laptops from Dell that feature a basically full sized keyboard and are much easier to carry and transport. They are only about $300 or so and you could probably get a pretty good discount.

BEAST

Emerson1
05-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST
Forney does that to except they are some crappy brand

hookandladder
05-13-2010, 06:33 AM
I check my phone bill, if I see that he has texted during schools hours the phone becomes mind. It is against the school rules, so parents should make their kids abid by the rule. This is where problems start, kids and parents know it is against the rule and the parent alows them to text. Take the phone away and double the punishment.

garciap77
05-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
I check my phone bill, if I see that he has texted during schools hours the phone becomes mind. It is against the school rules, so parents should make their kids abid by the rule. This is where problems start, kids and parents know it is against the rule and the parent alows them to text. Take the phone away and double the punishment.

:thumbsup:

wildstangs
05-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Bring them to school - but turn them off in the AM, and turn it back on after school. Parents are becoming less and less of a help on this. I can't tell you how many times I have taken up a phone, only to have the kid tell me "I was texting my mom."

If parents need to get in touch with student, the school still has a phone line and a receptionist to answer the line, and get a message to kids.

Funny story - I was talking with a principal in Stephenville who had a father come to pick his kid up from school on a TAKS testing day. The counselor explained to the man that the kid is taking his test and couldn't leave school until it was finished. Dad then says "He is done, he texted me and told me." Doh - take test up, invalidate it, and if it is one that promotes you to next grade, sign up for summer school.

My first year of teaching at Plainview, I stressed over and over to the kids to put their phone in the ziploc bag on TAKS day. I even put mine in as a good example. Well one girl thought she was above the rules and was texting. Principal was FURIOUS. If a TEA monitor had walked in and caught this young lady, I could have had my certificate revoked after only having it a couple of months.

hookandladder
05-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Bring them to school - but turn them off in the AM, and turn it back on after school. Parents are becoming less and less of a help on this. I can't tell you how many times I have taken up a phone, only to have the kid tell me "I was texting my mom."

If parents need to get in touch with student, the school still has a phone line and a receptionist to answer the line, and get a message to kids.

Funny story - I was talking with a principal in Stephenville who had a father come to pick his kid up from school on a TAKS testing day. The counselor explained to the man that the kid is taking his test and couldn't leave school until it was finished. Dad then says "He is done, he texted me and told me." Doh - take test up, invalidate it, and if it is one that promotes you to next grade, sign up for summer school.

My first year of teaching at Plainview, I stressed over and over to the kids to put their phone in the ziploc bag on TAKS day. I even put mine in as a good example. Well one girl thought she was above the rules and was texting. Principal was FURIOUS. If a TEA monitor had walked in and caught this young lady, I could have had my certificate revoked after only having it a couple of months.

Parent's, root of most all problems with kids.

BILLYFRED0000
05-13-2010, 09:38 AM
The only problem I have is that schools seem to get down right nasty about minor infractions which a cell phone should be. Set it to vibrate and do not take out during classes is all that should be required. between classes who cares. U would think that there was some kind of conspiracy or other and it is really a simple issue with simple solutions. When we got caught with something in class we were not supposed to the teacher got it and then he gave it back at the end of class. Repeat offenders went to the office. Any grades done at that point would be 0 for the student in the office. You would find out that good students would generally follow the rules and those that did not care or had attitude issues did not. No matter what the rules there are those that will and those that won't and all it did was make an issue for the kids that really did care about their schooling while the rest did not give a rats blank so the rule was a joke. end of story.

The simple truth is this. The more rules there are the more rule breakers there will be. Soon it would be impossible to not break a rule making the schools more of a prison facility than a chance for an education. If you want it to be uptight and unfair then by all means pile on the rules till you cannot breathe. I wonder what kind of educational atmosphere that would promote.

BwdLion73
05-13-2010, 09:49 AM
I was suprised to find that ringtones the adults can't hear is a real thing. I've always been proud of my hearing, being able to hear little things that most people can't. My brother in law began telling me about his girls phones and how they had ringtones that he could not hear. I laughed at him and teased him about his age until he brought his 12 year old in and had her demonstrate to me.

:( I could not hear a thing!:eek:

wildstangs
05-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Cell phones in school can be used for cheating, harassment, bullying, and loads of problems in bathrooms/locker rooms. I am all in favor of fewer rules, but in my opinion, cell phones have to be a major rule that is enforced.

BILLYFRED0000
05-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Cell phones in school can be used for cheating, harassment, bullying, and loads of problems in bathrooms/locker rooms. I am all in favor of fewer rules, but in my opinion, cell phones have to be a major rule that is enforced.

But look at the things you listed. There are already rules against all of that and it goes on with the kids that would do it anyway.
redundant.

garciap77
05-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
The only problem I have is that schools seem to get down right nasty about minor infractions which a cell phone should be. Set it to vibrate and do not take out during classes is all that should be required. between classes who cares. U would think that there was some kind of conspiracy or other and it is really a simple issue with simple solutions. When we got caught with something in class we were not supposed to the teacher got it and then he gave it back at the end of class. Repeat offenders went to the office. Any grades done at that point would be 0 for the student in the office. You would find out that good students would generally follow the rules and those that did not care or had attitude issues did not. No matter what the rules there are those that will and those that won't and all it did was make an issue for the kids that really did care about their schooling while the rest did not give a rats blank so the rule was a joke. end of story.

The simple truth is this. The more rules there are the more rule breakers there will be. Soon it would be impossible to not break a rule making the schools more of a prison facility than a chance for an education. If you want it to be uptight and unfair then by all means pile on the rules till you cannot breathe. I wonder what kind of educational atmosphere that would promote.

Works great in Japan! They score well above ours!

Spaceman_Spiff
05-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder

hookandladder for President!!!

BILLYFRED0000
05-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Works great in Japan! They score well above ours!

Yes especially the higher suicide rate. thanks for playing.

BILLYFRED0000
05-13-2010, 03:39 PM
and btw I do not allow my kids to take cell phones to school.

eagleqb_14
05-13-2010, 04:28 PM

What do you think? thats how it is aty our school, and if you do have it out and it gets taken up. you have to pay 15$ to get it back

garciap77
05-13-2010, 06:22 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Or............. Hey! There is a fight at the park, Hurry before it's over!

bobcat4life
05-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Or............. Hey! There is a fight at the park, Hurry before it's over! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

wildstangs
05-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
But look at the things you listed. There are already rules against all of that and it goes on with the kids that would do it anyway.
redundant.

10 times as worse with a cell phone. We never had to worry about kids taking pictures of each other in locker room when I was in school.