PDA

View Full Version : Gps

Emerson1
05-06-2010, 05:25 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Widescreen-Bluetooth-Navigator/dp/B002DN928S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=gps&qid=1273080574&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Widescreen-Navigator-Recognition/dp/B001OMGVII/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=gps&qid=1273080574&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Widescreen-Portable-Navigator/dp/B001U0O7T4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273080964&sr=1-1

Anyone know anything about these? These are the ones that caught my eye and in my price range.

The 1300 and 855 wal mart has, as much as I don't want to I need to be able to pick it up soon.

firstdown
05-07-2010, 07:44 AM
I have a garmin . It is easy to work and never gives me any trouble. The only problem with a garmin is that you have to pay for map updates after the initial load. (around $ 60). My son has a Tom Tom and it's is a little more confusing to navigate through but it updates new maps for free when you plug it in to the computer.

Ranger Mom
05-07-2010, 08:22 AM
My GPS on my phone has never let me down...is free with my service and updates every time I use it.:p

ronwx5x
05-07-2010, 08:28 AM
I have a Garmin 235WT. One feature I really appreciate is it shows the speed limit where you are, although I have found it in error once or twice. It attempts to show the traffic situation but that's not of much value as it always seems to show a one minute delay. Going from point to point doesn't always take me the way I think it should be, but it always gets me there.

If I elect to go another way than indicated, it is very quick to "recalculate".

My son-in-law has a TomTom and he always wants to borrow my Garmin. Be sure to get one with the larger screen. I don't like the suction cup mount provided and buying a different one costs $30-50, which is too much. The only reason I don't like the suction cup is that I have two vehicles and move it from one to the other. The suction cup leaves an ugly mark on the window that needs to be cleaned.

LE Dad
05-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My GPS on my phone has never let me down...is free with my service and updates every time I use it.:p Free?:confused: I pay $10 a month, but I only activate it when I need it, which lately is every month, but I don't worry about anybody stealing it because it is always with me.:D

SWMustang
05-07-2010, 08:36 AM
I'm not sure if the pics are accurate in the ads, but some Garmin models show you the speed limit of the road you're on and the speed the vehicle is traveling. Very handy feature - look for it.

Of those models listed, I would get the 285 because it's bluetooth enabled. They want more for the 855 because of the speech recognition - I wouldn't use that.

I have a NUVI 205W that I think is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but my new company rig doesn't have bluetooth so I'm searching for one that does. I wouldn't buy anything other than the Garmin.

Trashman
05-07-2010, 08:42 AM
I have the Garmin Nuvi 1200, it has the smaller screen but has given me no trouble at all. You will get tired of it constantly talking and will want to mute it. Any one of those on your list is worth the money.:thinking:

Ranger Mom
05-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Free?:confused: I pay $10 a month, but I only activate it when I need it, which lately is every month, but I don't worry about anybody stealing it because it is always with me.:D

Yes.....free "Sprint Navigation"...unlimited text, unlimited internet.....all mobile to mobile (no matter what provider) is free.

When I went over to that plan, my monthly bill was almost cut in half!!

scrub c
05-07-2010, 09:02 AM
I have a tomtom, and though it never gets me lost, and is easy to use... it is not very good at points of interest.

good example, kids are whining for micky-dees in the back seat coming into Trinity, I look on tomtom to see if there is a mcdonalds... says no, then I drive right by it!!!!

It cant find the Houston zoo???
now, type in the address and it will take you right to it...

So if points of Interest are important to you, research that aspect pretty intensely

LE Dad
05-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Yes.....free "Sprint Navigation"...unlimited text, unlimited internet.....all mobile to mobile (no matter what provider) is free.

When I went over to that plan, my monthly bill was almost cut in half!! AT&T will $10 and $20 you to death.:doh:

pancho villa
05-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
I have a tomtom, and though it never gets me lost, and is easy to use... it is not very good at points of interest.

good example, kids are whining for micky-dees in the back seat coming into Trinity, I look on tomtom to see if there is a mcdonalds... says no, then I drive right by it!!!!

It cant find the Houston zoo???
now, type in the address and it will take you right to it...

So if points of Interest are important to you, research that aspect pretty intensely

I used scrub's tomtom this week and it only tells you where the restaurant's are. Won't find anything else!

44INAROW
05-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
I used scrub's tomtom this week and it only tells you where the restaurant's are. Won't find anything else!
OMG - that's good stuff right there :D :D (waiting on Scrub's reply)

scrub c
05-07-2010, 10:16 AM
did I mention my tomtom has mind reading ability...
It knew you only in corpus for one reason... to find restaurants...

pancho villa
05-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
did I mention my tomtom has mind reading ability...
It knew you only in corpus for one reason... to find restaurants...

Then why did it not take me to Beer, or a strip club?

BwdLion73
05-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Funny that this conversation poped up. Yesterday my Garmin 200 told me it was time to check for updates. Hooked it up to my computer and downloaded updates....crashed my GPS.
After checking further I found a load of sites that said they were having a software problem and the solution was not easy for a farm boy to understand. I called their tech. service and after a short 42 minute wait they walked me through it and I'm back up and running.
I was beginning to think I would just buy a new one. While upset that it happen I was suprised with the happy ending.

ronwx5x
05-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
Funny that this conversation poped up. Yesterday my Garmin 200 told me it was time to check for updates. Hooked it up to my computer and downloaded updates....crashed my GPS.
After checking further I found a load of sites that said they were having a software problem and the solution was not easy for a farm boy to understand. I called their tech. service and after a short 42 minute wait they walked me through it and I'm back up and running.
I was beginning to think I would just buy a new one. While upset that it happen I was suprised with the happy ending.

How much did you have to pay for the update? I have a Garmin I received last Christmas and have never updated it.

BwdLion73
05-07-2010, 01:18 PM
I did not pay anything to correct the problem. It told me when I checked updates that none were needed at this time.

ronwx5x
05-07-2010, 01:25 PM
I saw that upates are available on the Garmin website, but no price listed for a one time. Lifetime price is shown.

venomous tat2
05-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa

You have to program it to do what you want and you have to update it I have a tom tom and have everything from eating places , hospitals , hotels , stadiums , schools , & churches programed in it and any time I pass near one a bell sounds off I also have my speed limit set for 75 on the hy way and when I'm over it a alarm goes off . It's the coolest thing !