TheDOCTORdre
05-06-2010, 03:18 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/video/local-15749667/19585803

Pick6
05-06-2010, 03:45 PM
I would love to hear the spin on this.

MUSTANG69
05-06-2010, 04:11 PM
This is getting ridiculous. You can't be a patriotic American, you can't be a Christian, you can't be this or that because someone is offended. Cinco de Mayo is not a U.S. holiday. Anyone should be able to wear an American Flag shirt any time and any place in the U.S. Things like this really piss me off! :mad: :mad: :mad:

IHStangFan
05-06-2010, 04:16 PM
I've been saying it for years....political correctness is a cancer...and it WILL eat this country from the inside out and eventually ruin/kill this once great nation.

I wrote a thesis & paper a couple of years ago for a class I was taking.... about the direct link between PC and the pacification of American and how it will ultimately lead to this country's downfall.....I got an A. :thinking:

"Oh we can't fight back even though (insert country, extremist group, etc. here) has openly declared war on us.....we might OFFEND someone!!!" :rolleyes:

Gobbler Fan
05-06-2010, 04:52 PM
St Patricks Day - Irish

Easter - Christians

MLK Day - African Americans ... ect. ect.Try taking these away .

I have no problem with any Race Celebrating a Holiday any which way they choose and many Celebrating Cinco De Mayo are Americans and are as Patriotic as any of us ...what a false sense of Entitilement we have as Americans .

TheDOCTORdre
05-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
St Patricks Day - Irish

Easter - Christians

MLK Day - African Americans ... ect. ect.Try taking these away .

I have no problem with any Race Celebrating a Holiday any which way they choose and many Celebrating Cinco De Mayo are Americans and are as Patriotic as any of us ...what a false sense of Entitilement we have as Americans .

I thought St. Patricks and Cinco were for alcoholics:D

crzyjournalist03
05-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Do they celebrate the 4th of July in Mexico?

Gobbler Fan
05-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I thought St. Patricks and Cinco were for alcoholics:D

lol Thats what I use them for :D

TheDOCTORdre
05-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Do they celebrate the 4th of July in Mexico?

why does that matter?

crzyjournalist03
05-06-2010, 05:06 PM
why does that matter?

Point of reference. I've never heard of Americans that celebrate Canada Day (although I've never been far enough north to know if that's common or not). Just seems kind of weird to celebrate another country's independence day.

TheDOCTORdre
05-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Point of reference. I've never heard of Americans that celebrate Canada Day (although I've never been far enough north to know if that's common or not). Just seems kind of weird to celebrate another country's independence day.

Cinco de Mayo is not Mexican Independence day though, September 16th, diez y seis de septiembre, is.

BleedOrange
05-06-2010, 05:22 PM
I believe its the Mexican victory over the French. Imagine that...someone with a victory over the French.

crzyjournalist03
05-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Cinco de Mayo is not Mexican Independence day though, September 16th, diez y seis de septiembre, is.

We weren't technically free from the British for several months after July 4th. Although Mexico's independence day is Sept. 16, Cinco de Mayo is considered to be the bigger holiday because of the significance it had in working toward Mexican independence.

Emerson1
05-06-2010, 05:28 PM
We weren't technically free from the British for several months after July 4th. Although Mexico's independence day is Sept. 16, Cinco de Mayo is considered to be the bigger holiday because of the significance it had in working toward Mexican independence.

I have heard all day most of Mexico doesn't make a big deal out of Cinco de Mayo

TheDOCTORdre
05-06-2010, 05:33 PM

Mexico was made independent from Spain on September 16, 1810, while cinco de mayo was when the Mexican Army beat the French in 1862...Cinco de Mayo is just considered more significant here, while Mexico hold September 16th in even more high regards

sinton66
05-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Where's the ACLU when crap like this happens? I can't think of a better example of AMERICAN civil liberties being violated.
If the ACLU doesn't jump on this with a lawsuit, they should be forced to change their name.

BleedOrange
05-06-2010, 05:37 PM

We weren't free from the British until 1781 (End of Am. Rev) and arguably as late as 1783 which is several years after Dec. of Ind.

Maroon87
05-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Where's the ACLU when crap like this happens? I can't think of a better example of AMERICAN civil liberties being violated.
If the ACLU doesn't jump on this with a lawsuit, they should be forced to change their name.

They're probably too busy trying to get the Times Square wannabe bomber off the hook on a technicality.

crzyjournalist03
05-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Mexico was made independent from Spain on September 16, 1810, while cinco de mayo was when the Mexican Army beat the French in 1862...Cinco de Mayo is just considered more significant here, while Mexico hold September 16th in even more high regards

I'm not an expert on Mexican culture. I just had a roommate for two years in college who had lived in Mexico his entire life. All I have to go off of is what he told me, which over the years has proved inaccurate more than once.

I am probably way off base here based upon what you and Emerson said.

Rabid Cougar
05-06-2010, 06:25 PM
5th of May is mainly an American thing. Mexicans don't celebrate it. Sorry .. not politically correct.

crzyjournalist03
05-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
5th of May is mainly an American thing. Mexicans don't celebrate it. Sorry .. not politically correct.

If you are from Mexico you are a Mexican...nothing politically incorrect about that. :)

It's generalizing all hispanics as Mexicans = not PC, and probably a little racist.

MUSTANG69
05-07-2010, 07:21 AM

Correct. Cinco de Mayo is actually a victory celebration for one battle. After this Napolean III marched through Mexico to Mexico City. I believe he then turned to control of Mexico over to Maximillan. You history scholars correct me if I'm wrong.

JJWalker
05-07-2010, 08:02 AM
What is ridiculous, is this discussion of Mexican history.

If you want to discuss Mexican history you need to go to ... tres "A" abajo bajo.

This is America!

STANG RED
05-07-2010, 12:36 PM
When the Mexican people free themselves from the drug lords and corrupt government that runs that county, I’ll be more than happy to celebrate with them on any day of the year. And why would they celebrate independence from either Spain or France in the first place? Either would be a vast improvement over the mess they live with now. And would no doubt be a much better neighbor to us.
If this isn’t PC enough for some of you. TOUGH!

LE Dad
05-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
When the Mexican people free themselves from the drug lords and corrupt government that runs that county, I’ll be more than happy to celebrate with them on any day of the year. And why would they celebrate independence from either Spain or France in the first place? Either would be a vast improvement over the mess they live with now. And would no doubt be a much better neighbor to us.
If this isn’t PC enough for some of you. TOUGH! Works for me!!:clap: :clap:

DDBooger
05-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by JJWalker
What is ridiculous, is this discussion of Mexican history.

If you want to discuss Mexican history you need to go to ... tres "A" abajo bajo.

This is America! I guess in your world no need for World History...lmao
Ah ignorant people :D

DDBooger
05-07-2010, 12:54 PM
When the Mexican people free themselves from the drug lords and corrupt government that runs that county, I’ll be more than happy to celebrate with them on any day of the year. Well Geez, I suppose when the drug lords aren't rolling around in billions of American Dollars they'll have a foot to stand on!

And why would they celebrate independence from either Spain or France in the first place? Either would be a vast improvement over the mess they live with now. And would no doubt be a much better neighbor to us.
If this isn’t PC enough for some of you. TOUGH! Being a Dumbass is your American right bro! You celebrate it quite well. By the way an imperial power South of us was in violation of the Monroe Doctrine (which stated that further efforts by European countries to colonize land or interfere with states in the Americas would be viewed by the United States of America as acts of aggression requiring US intervention). Geez, you imbeciles don't know your own history!
How's that for no PC?

SintonFan
05-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Well Geez, I suppose when the drug lords aren't rolling around in billions of American Dollars they'll have a foot to stand on!

Being a Dumbass is your American right bro! You celebrate it quite well. By the way an imperial power South of us was in violation of the Monroe Doctrine (which stated that further efforts by European countries to colonize land or interfere with states in the Americas would be viewed by the United States of America as acts of aggression requiring US intervention). Geez, you imbeciles don't know your own history!
How's that for no PC?

:tisk: :tisk: :tisk:

3). Do not engage in personal attacks and/or threats. (2 points)

This is NOT a smack site. We are not here to air personal vendettas. Bashing of students/athletes (grades 12 & under) will NOT be tolerated. Avoid using other members' real names in your posts(without their permission). Do not engage in name calling and the use of derogatory terms toward others. That attaches a personal flavor that most posters will find objectionable. Try reversing the roles and see how you would feel if someone said it to you or about your child. Personal attacks or threats, if reported, in PM's, open chat, or chat IM's may warrant warning, suspension or banning, subject to Administrator discretion. At 3A Downlow, we also tend to frown upon posts that attack the integrity of school systems and coaches. Use intelligence & wit. If all you have to offer is the tired old rah rah stuff, the vets on this site will tire of you quickly. Be prepared to offer facts and statistics to back up your claims.

DDBooger
05-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
:tisk: :tisk: :tisk:
[/i] lol no surprise it's you pointing it out! ;)

MUSTANG69
05-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Lock and load! Looks like things may be heating up on this thread.:)

bandera7
05-07-2010, 01:55 PM
These kids werent taking away Cinco De Mayo. They were wearing American Flags.

Irish people take no issue with British people wearing their flag on St. Patrick's day. You may get pinched a few times if you are wearing no green but thats about it. No being sent home.

Christians, atleast this Christian, doesnt care if Muslims celebrate their religion on Easter sunday. Or scientologists. Or Judaism or Hinduism or Buddhism.

The point is, because somebody was a little bit butthurt, while in AMERICA, they got five kids sent home. Was it in bad taste? maybe. But do they have the right? Absolutely.

DDBooger
05-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
These kids werent taking away Cinco De Mayo. They were wearing American Flags.

Irish people take no issue with British people wearing their flag on St. Patrick's day. You may get pinched a few times if you are wearing no green but thats about it. No being sent home.

Christians, atleast this Christian, doesnt care if Muslims celebrate their religion on Easter sunday. Or scientologists. Or Judaism or Hinduism or Buddhism.

The point is, because somebody was a little bit butthurt, while in AMERICA, they got five kids sent home. Was it in bad taste? maybe. But do they have the right? Absolutely. It was very wrong.

MUSTANG69
05-07-2010, 02:01 PM
It was very wrong.

What was wrong? Wearing the shirts or sending the kids home. Not being a smartass just didn't understand your response.

LE Dad
05-07-2010, 02:01 PM
It was very wrong. Surely you are taking this stance soley for the purpose of debate??

SintonFan
05-07-2010, 02:02 PM
lol no surprise it's you pointing it out! ;)

Really, I've never called you a Dumba$$ or an imbecile.:nerd:

DDBooger
05-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
What was wrong? Wearing the shirts or sending the kids home. Not being a smartass just didn't understand your response. sending them home

DDBooger
05-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Surely you are taking this stance soley for the purpose of debate?? sending them home. my gosh, I am not ALWAYS the antagonist :D

DDBooger
05-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Really, I've never called you a Dumba$$ or an imbecile.:nerd: lol not what I meant, but you jumping to conclusions is not a first! :D

MUSTANG69
05-07-2010, 02:05 PM
sending them home

Me thinks you and I finally agree on something!:D

LE Dad
05-07-2010, 02:06 PM
sending them home OK... Sorry misunderstood your post.:doh:

DDBooger
05-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Me thinks you and I finally agree on something!:D It was stupid, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

MUSTANG69
05-07-2010, 02:11 PM
sending them home. my gosh, I am not ALWAYS the antagonist :D

It's hard being the "Heathcliff" of the DownLow isn't it?:)

AP Panther Fan
05-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Lock and load!

You got half of that right. I think it will be the first half.

:doh:

eagleqb_14
05-07-2010, 03:30 PM
this is America:mad:

pirate4state
05-07-2010, 03:46 PM
After reading all this I can't help but think of the movie Clueless :D

"I NOT A MEXICAN!"

lol