PDA

View Full Version : Pound for Pound, Marlin matches up well with Burnet

cunbed10
09-22-2003, 02:47 PM
Hey! young world, I would like to start off by saying Burnet gained my respect last year against Jasper, one hurt QB and Wide out, and a great defense, that's why I'm not mentioning our injuries, because I watched Mr. Mcgee and Mr. Shipley play with pain last year, but 3A Football world, don't think Marlin will not come to Play, yes we've had a slow start, but Burnet is our measuring stick, and I will say this once, Marlin is coming to Burnet to win, barring turnovers, we will pull this game out, and It's going to take a hell of an effort, and I believe Marlin is one of 5 teams I think can beat Burnet, the other four being Gainesville,Bellville,Everman,Kennedale,and Marlin of course. This is my opinion so I am entitled to it, never once did I down Burnet, becasue I saw this team with my own eyes, and I will tell you this people, Mcgee and Shipley are the real deal, no doubt, but Mr. levens will be missed sorely, and if a team can contain Mr. Shipley, and Mr. Mcgee, then and upset can happen, and this is what I think will take place on 26Sep03.

Bandera YaYa
09-22-2003, 03:01 PM
...Burnet by 21

Commerce Fan
09-22-2003, 03:15 PM
I hope marlin is in end of season shape because with a wide open passing game even the coaches wil be tired after this one.

The Old One
09-22-2003, 03:16 PM
Mr. Levens will be missed?

Mr. Levens is currently the TB for Burnet.

Mr. Levens seems to be having a great season thus far.

espn1
09-22-2003, 03:35 PM
He'll be playing, but don't worry you will be seeing more than just Levens running the ball. Watch for # 20.
http://www.burnet.txed.net/high/bhsact04/midland/images/DSC_2967.jpg

PAINTBALL
09-22-2003, 03:55 PM
If raining: Burnet 21 Marlin 7
If dry: Burnet 35 Marlin 14

If Marlin tries to defend with 3 down line like last year then I predict Ferguson(Burnet's little fullback) will gain 100 yds rushing. I hope we see McGee under center more this game. With the speed of Marlin's line the shotgun goes not work well. It's anyone's ballgame. After last year both teams will be ready to play.

Burnet '94
09-22-2003, 04:03 PM
Anything is possible, but I think Marlin really needs to play their best game to have a chance. They must get the breaks and win the turnover battle.

The key for Marlin is ball control. They have to run the ball effectively and make this a slow, methodical game.

If they try and get in a track meet with Burnet, they'll lose big. You can't match Burnet score for score. There's just too many weapons.

Good luck though.

MonkeyJoe
09-22-2003, 04:26 PM
Marlin gets killed 56-13...

Bandera YaYa
09-22-2003, 04:32 PM
...it won't be pretty......

jason
09-22-2003, 05:58 PM
I know people from Burnet are gonna pound me for this, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and call an upset....if Arizona can beat Green Bay then Marlin can beat Burnet....

Marlin 21
Burnet 20

in a thriller....

aamove
09-22-2003, 06:06 PM
MY-O-MY.... I can't believe that I'm agreeing with Jason, I'll take Marlin by a point.

jason
09-22-2003, 06:07 PM
deep down, i don't think it will happen....but i have certain gut feeling...

...i just hope you fine folks from Burnet don't shun me when I'm sitting on your side at the game...

CHECK PM aamove.....

<small>[ September 22, 2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: jason ]</small>

GreatBigBurnetFan
09-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Hi Jason,
We certainly hope you enjoy the game. We are sure both teams will be well prepared. Burnet has as
many injuries as Marlin, that shouldn't be brought up.

My advise is enjoy the game and the Burnet hospitality. I don't think however, that you should express your feelings too loudly. Even the food from the dog pound is great. Have a safe trip.
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan

29x281
09-22-2003, 07:02 PM
I'd say Burnet is expecting a tough game from Marlin, and is looking forward to the challenge.

jason
09-22-2003, 07:13 PM
GreatBigBurnetFan:
Hi Jason,
We certainly hope you enjoy the game. We are sure both teams will be well prepared. Burnet has as

My advise is enjoy the game and the Burnet hospitality. I don't think however, that you should express your feelings too loudly. Even the food from the dog pound is great. Have a safe trip.
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFanthanks...i'll be sitting with hotdawg89.....if they'll let me since i made my prediction....

<small>[ September 22, 2003, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: jason ]</small>

Chris Hart
09-22-2003, 08:03 PM
Cunbed, I'll agree that Marlin matches up with Burnet as well as any team in the state. Marlin has a great secondary. Burnet has been the most effective this year throwing the football, we're not as balanced as last year. This means it will be Burnet's offensive strength against the strength of the Marlin defense. On the other hand, Marlin's strength on offense is running the ball and controlling the clock, this plays to Burnet's weakness on defense. Burnet has trouble with teams that will continue running the ball even when they fall behind(examples Everman, Gatesville and Marlin last year). Most teams against Burnet seem to panic when Burnet gets a lead, and start pressing by throwing, trickery etc. which in turn plays into Burnet's hands. Burnet has a smallish defense that has a tendency to get pushed around a little against powerful OLs later in the games. If Marlin goes on top early, it should be a great game. If Burnet gets the early lead, it will be up to the Marlin coaching staff not to abandon the gameplan, if they stay true to the plan it could be very interesting. The name of Burnet's game is to overwhelm teams early and just continue attacking. Marlin has played some tough games this year, where Burnet hasn't been threatened yet. How will Burnet react to adversity, if it presents itself this Friday. These are questions that I have as a fan about this year's team. I think this should be a really good game pitting two very good teams. Whatever the outcome, I still believe both teams are a serious threat in the playoffs in their respective divisions. I have been looking to this game all year, I am curious to see how we stack up with, what IMO is a legitimate contender in 3A. It's only Monday and I am stoked. :)

I'm going to predict a great game that Burnet wins 34-27! Go Burnet, let's answer some ?'s this week. wink

espn1
09-22-2003, 08:43 PM
Chris Hart:
Cunbed, I'll agree that Marlin matches up with Burnet as well as any team in the state. Marlin has a great secondary. Burnet has been the most effective this year throwing the football, we're not as balanced as last year. This means it will be Burnet's offensive strength against the strength of the Marlin defense. On the other hand, Marlin's strength on offense is running the ball and controlling the clock, this plays to Burnet's weakness on defense. Burnet has trouble with teams that will continue running the ball even when they fall behind(examples Everman, Gatesville and Marlin last year). Most teams against Burnet seem to panic when Burnet gets a lead, and start pressing by throwing, trickery etc. which in turn plays into Burnet's hands. Burnet has a smallish defense that has a tendency to get pushed around a little against powerful OLs later in the games. If Marlin goes on top early, it should be a great game. If Burnet gets the early lead, it will be up to the Marlin coaching staff not to abandon the gameplan, if they stay true to the plan it could be very interesting. The name of Burnet's game is to overwhelm teams early and just continue attacking. Marlin has played some tough games this year, where Burnet hasn't been threatened yet. How will Burnet react to adversity, if it presents itself this Friday. These are questions that I have as a fan about this year's team. I think this should be a really good game pitting two very good teams. Whatever the outcome, I still believe both teams are a serious threat in the playoffs in their respective divisions. I have been looking to this game all year, I am curious to see how we stack up with, what IMO is a legitimate contender in 3A. It's only Monday and I am stoked. :)

I'm going to predict a great game that Burnet wins 34-27! Go Burnet, let's answer some ?'s this week. wink Good Point! Burnet by 4 td's.

HotDawg89
09-22-2003, 08:55 PM
jason:

GreatBigBurnetFan:
Hi Jason,

Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFanthanks...i'll be sitting with hotdawg89.....if they'll let me since i made my prediction....Actually Jason- you'll be sitting with my Dad who is an old football coach! But don't worry, I'll come over and meet you and find you--- (about the last 4 minutes of the game- as Burnet is taking it, 35-14.) If my kids don't come, then my hubby and I will come and getcha so we can poke at you every time Burnet scores! :D Dad's got great seats too! We'll still let you sit there! Heck, I picked Reagan to beat us- then I saw us play- I won't pick anyone else over Burnet- but I do think this will be the most challenging game that we play before we reach the playoffs.

Good luck to both teams!

BIG19
09-23-2003, 07:29 AM
To close a game to call. As for Jason and cunbed10, have a good time and know that you are always welcome to come back and enjoy the Burnet hospitality. My wish is that everyone that travels to this game gets to see the best game of the season. One that make Matthew328 wish he would have come down and watched this game instead of the Everman game.

espn1
09-23-2003, 08:03 AM
HAVE FUN!

cunbed10
09-23-2003, 08:14 AM
BIG19:
To close a game to call. As for Jason and cunbed10, have a good time and know that you are always welcome to come back and enjoy the Burnet hospitality. My wish is that everyone that travels to this game gets to see the best game of the season. One that make Matthew328 wish he would have come down and watched this game instead of the Everman game.Thanks Big guy, I will probably watch another Burnet game, but this will be Playoff time, I love the sport just that much, because it's still pure, no shoe contracts, no bonuses, and no owners tryin to move a team for personal profit.

Megatonpitch
09-23-2003, 08:43 AM
Burnet 42, Marlin 14. Marlin is banged up and Burnet has too many weapons.

PAINTBALL
09-23-2003, 11:11 AM
The fact that both teams will be tested before district and the playoffs is what makes this contest so important regardless of the outcome. Both coaches should be able to determine areas that need work. Burnet even has a week off after the game to work on these areas. Last year the offensive line coaches worked on the ability of the offensive line to block fast defensive linemen. The defensive coaches worked on open field tackling. Without the great competition from Marlin and Shoemaker last year, the coaches might not have even known these areas needed work until it is was too late.

It's great to get good competition before the outcome really matters.

<small>[ September 23, 2003, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: PAINTBALL ]</small>

Tiny
09-23-2003, 11:49 AM
Bandera YaYa:
...it won't be pretty......Ya Ya have you seen either team play this year?
Wow

Bandera YaYa
09-23-2003, 11:58 AM
No...not this year. I'm just going on past experiences, like everyone else on here! I think it will be a good game, but I think Burnet will win....just my take....I'm rooting for Burnet, for sure!

PAINTBALL
09-23-2003, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris Hart:
[QB]Cunbed, Burnet has trouble with teams that will continue running the ball even when they fall behind(examples Everman, Gatesville and Marlin last year). Most teams against Burnet seem to panic when Burnet gets a lead, and start pressing by throwing, trickery etc. which in turn plays into Burnet's hands. Burnet has a smallish defense that has a tendency to get pushed around a little against powerful OLs later in the games.

Except for last year's Everman game(which is a different story as far as I'm concerned) I disagree with this statement. When Burnet is up by 21 points or more late in the game, Burnet shifts to a bend, but not break defense to not allow quick scores. Gatesville ran 10 minutes off the 3rd quarter to just get back 7 points which Burnet quickly got back. If you want to know what Burnet's defense can do in close games, look at last year's Sinton and Marlin games.

<small>[ September 23, 2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: PAINTBALL ]</small>

espn1
09-23-2003, 01:54 PM
PAINTBALL:
[QB]Cunbed, Burnet has trouble with teams that will continue running the ball even when they fall behind(examples Everman, Gatesville and Marlin last year). Most teams against Burnet seem to panic when Burnet gets a lead, and start pressing by throwing, trickery etc. which in turn plays into Burnet's hands. Burnet has a smallish defense that has a tendency to get pushed around a little against powerful OLs later in the games.

Except for last year's Everman game(which is a different story as far as I'm concerned) I disagree with this statement. When Burnet is up by 21 points or more late in the game, Burnet shifts to a bend, but not break defense to not allow quick scores. Gatesville ran 10 minutes off the 3rd quarter to just get back 7 points which Burnet quickly got back. If you want to know what Burnet's defense can do in close games, look at last year's Sinton and Marlin games.Well said!

Chris Hart
09-23-2003, 03:52 PM
PAINTBALL:

Except for last year's Everman game(which is a different story as far as I'm concerned) I disagree with this statement. When Burnet is up by 21 points or more late in the game, Burnet shifts to a bend, but not break defense to not allow quick scores. Gatesville ran 10 minutes off the 3rd quarter to just get back 7 points which Burnet quickly got back. If you want to know what Burnet's defense can do in close games, look at last year's Sinton and Marlin games.Paintball, I knew the weakness of last year's team as well as this year's team. And I never said, we didn't go to a bend no break defense when we have a 21+ point lead. Our defense against a strong, patient running game WAS our weakness last year, and it appears to me that we have the same achilles heel this year. EVERY team has one, and I believe this is ours. You mentioned the Sinton game, you are right we had some great defensive stands in that game, but just because Sinton couldn't exploit it, where Everman did, and Gatesville this year and last, and Marlin last year, doesn't mean it isn't our weakness. It is not always exploited enough to lead to defeat, but exploited none the less. Do I think Marlin will be able to exploit it enough to win, No, but if we do lose this week or any other you can bet it WILL be to a patient RUNNING team. Each team has their weakness, I'm not saying that we are weak here, I'm just saying this is our weakest link. When I think our weakness is an area that we are still strong at, that should tell you how I feel about the team. But most know our weakness, but just can't exploit it enough. Go Bulldogs! :)

<small>[ September 23, 2003, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hart ]</small>

PAINTBALL
09-23-2003, 04:14 PM
Chris Hart:

PAINTBALL:

Except for last year's Everman game(which is a different story as far as I'm concerned) I disagree with this statement. When Burnet is up by 21 points or more late in the game, Burnet shifts to a bend, but not break defense to not allow quick scores. Gatesville ran 10 minutes off the 3rd quarter to just get back 7 points which Burnet quickly got back. If you want to know what Burnet's defense can do in close games, look at last year's Sinton and Marlin games.Paintball, I knew the weakness of last year's team as well as this year's team. And I never said, we didn't go to a bend no break defense when we have a 21+ point lead. Our defense against a strong, patient running game WAS our weakness last year, and it appears to me that we have the same achilles heel this year. EVERY team has one, and I believe this is ours. You mentioned the Sinton game, you are right we had some great defensive stands in that game, but just because Sinton couldn't exploit it, where Everman did, and Gatesville this year and last, and Marlin last year, doesn't mean it isn't our weakness. It is not always exploited enough to lead to defeat, but exploited none the less. Do I think Marlin will be able to exploit it enough to win, No, but if we do lose this week or any other you can bet it WILL be to a patient RUNNING team. Each team has their weakness, I'm not saying that we are weak here, I'm just saying this is our weakest link. When I think our weakness is an area that we are still strong at, that should tell you how I feel about the team. But most know our weakness, but just can't exploit it enough. Go Bulldogs! :) Chris, I don't mean to argue. I just don't see run defense as a weakness of our team. If a team wants to run out the clock with no chance to win, then our coaching staff will let them. Except in the Everman game our defense(this year or last) never gave up large yards running until the game was already won. The tie at the end of 4 quarters in the Marlin game was not the fault of the defense. Turnovers by the offense just gave Marlin too many chances with great field position to score and they finally tied the game. Except for good defense Burnet would have lost the game.

The Everman game was a different story. Without wanting to sound like I am making excuses, I don't think the team(offense or defense) played the same after Corey got hurt. There's just no way of knowing what would have been different without Corey's injury. This is not to mean Everman did not have a great team because they did and probably does this year also.

marlinbulldogplayer
09-23-2003, 04:38 PM
well if u dont know already as of today there has already been 8000 tickets sold and someone told me that there stadium only holds 7500. So i would say that it is going to be a pretty packed game. better get ur tickets while u can

PAINTBALL
09-23-2003, 04:46 PM
marlinbulldogplayer:
well if u dont know already as of today there has already been 8000 tickets sold and someone told me that there stadium only holds 7500. So i would say that it is going to be a pretty packed game. better get ur tickets while u canIf I was you I would get to the game early and put down blankets to reserve seats. The Burnet fans who didn't buy season tickets have got used to sitting on the visitors side because the non reserved seats on the Burnet side fill up by 6:00 o'clock. I know Marlin will bring enough fans to fill up the visitors side without any help from the overflow of the Burnet side. Looks like standing room only, I hear they are expecting 10,000 people.
eek! eek! eek!

The Guru
09-23-2003, 05:42 PM
If you expect Burnet to completely shut down Marlin's running game, you're going to be disappointed. I think everyone from Burnet would be just satisfied if this game turned out like the Gatesville game. Just because you give up a decent amount of rushing yards to a good running team, doesn't mean you have a weakness. I think Burnet fans are a little spoiled. Burnet completely dominates most of their games, and their fans get used to that.

Marlin will run the ball against Burnet, so be ready. Burnet will also throw the ball on Marlin. Neither of these teams are good enough to shut down the other. The question is who can stop the other the most. I also think weather will play a factor. When the footing is slick, the receivers have the advantage, but so does the offensive line.

PAINTBALL
09-23-2003, 05:53 PM
The Guru:
If you expect Burnet to completely shut down Marlin's running game, you're going to be disappointed. I think everyone from Burnet would be just satisfied if this game turned out like the Gatesville game. Just because you give up a decent amount of rushing yards to a good running team, doesn't mean you have a weakness. I think Burnet fans are a little spoiled. Burnet completely dominates most of their games, and their fans get used to that.

Marlin will run the ball against Burnet, so be ready. Burnet will also throw the ball on Marlin. Neither of these teams are good enough to shut down the other. The question is who can stop the other the most. I also think weather will play a factor. When the footing is slick, the receivers have the advantage, but so does the offensive line.Marlin is more than a good running team.Their quarterback has good form and can both run and pass, which makes their quarterback draw one of their best plays. Number 5 looks awesome on film.

Burnet can run and pass, but passing is their strongest weapon.

This is going to be a great game.

To get back to Chris's post however, Shoemaker was more effective than any other offense against Burnet last year except Everman and Shoemaker ran a no huddle, run and shoot offense. If their defense had bogged down Burnet's offense like Marlin it would have been all over but the crying for Burnet.

<small>[ September 23, 2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: PAINTBALL ]</small>

espn1
09-23-2003, 06:01 PM
The Guru:

Marlin will run the ball against Burnet, so be ready. Burnet will also throw the ball on Marlin. Neither of these teams are good enough to shut down the other. The question is who can stop the other the most. I also think weather will play a factor. When the footing is slick, the receivers have the advantage, but so does the offensive line.Good Post!

bulldogman
09-23-2003, 07:16 PM
I personally think the Burnet defense is head and shoulders above last years defense at this time. The point has already been stated that Gatesville was 21 points behind when they pounded their way in for 7 taking several minutes of valuable time off the clock. Burnet quickly added seven more points to put the game far out of reach at that point. And don't forget the fact that both starting defensive tackles were on the bench with injuries due to illegal blocks. Burnet will win and show their fans that they are not going to allow anyone to pound the ball on them all game long.

Pudlugger
09-23-2003, 07:51 PM
Burnet 35
Marlin 14

Burnet loses in semi-final in '03 to Navasota. :D :D :D

<small>[ September 23, 2003, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

jason
09-23-2003, 07:54 PM
Pudlugger:
Burnet 35
Marlin 14

Burnet loses in semi-final in '03 to Navasota. :D :D :D no, burnet loses to forney in the state championship game....

PAINTBALL
09-23-2003, 08:00 PM
jason:

Pudlugger:
Burnet 35
Marlin 14

Burnet loses in semi-final in '03 to Navasota. :D :D :D no, burnet loses to forney in the state championship game....I wish Jason and Pudlugger would agree on who we are going to play so our coaching staff can start scouting the correct team.

espn1
09-23-2003, 08:00 PM
jason:

Pudlugger:
Burnet 35
Marlin 14

Burnet loses in semi-final in '03 to Navasota. :D :D :D no, burnet loses to forney in the state championship game....Don't bring any of that stuff you and pudlugger are smoking to the game, you'll get arrested.

Chris Hart
09-23-2003, 09:43 PM
PAINTBALL

To get back to Chris's post however, Shoemaker was more effective than any other offense against Burnet last year except Everman and Shoemaker ran a no huddle, run and shoot offense. If their defense had bogged down Burnet's offense like Marlin it would have been all over but the crying for Burnet.[/QB]Paintball, I'm not trying to argue either. Hey, we can agree to disagree. It seems we just have a difference of opinion, that's what makes the world go around. But in reference to the Shoemaker game last year, the reason for that was 'The Honorable Jesse Jackson the 10.29 sprinter/WR from Shoemaker. If you remember they scored 28 points and all 4 TDs came on just drop back and heave it passes from their QB to Jesse Jackson. Of course he was on the opposite side of Shipley, but the kid covering him last year, could in no way stay close to him. Very few teams have a 10.29 sprinter to just drop back and throw it to and let him run underneath it like Shoemaker did last year. We're both Bulldogs, let's disagree now but let's agree on Friday night. See ya at the game. Go Bulldogs! :)

PAINTBALL
09-23-2003, 10:13 PM
Chris Hart:

PAINTBALL

To get back to Chris's post however, Shoemaker was more effective than any other offense against Burnet last year except Everman and Shoemaker ran a no huddle, run and shoot offense. If their defense had bogged down Burnet's offense like Marlin it would have been all over but the crying for Burnet.Paintball, I'm not trying to argue either. Hey, we can agree to disagree. It seems we just have a difference of opinion, that's what makes the world go around. But in reference to the Shoemaker game last year, the reason for that was 'The Honorable Jesse Jackson the 10.29 sprinter/WR from Shoemaker. If you remember they scored 28 points and all 4 TDs came on just drop back and heave it passes from their QB to Jesse Jackson. Of course he was on the opposite side of Shipley, but the kid covering him last year, could in no way stay close to him. Very few teams have a 10.29 sprinter to just drop back and throw it to and let him run underneath it like Shoemaker did last year. We're both Bulldogs, let's disagree now but let's agree on Friday night. See ya at the game. Go Bulldogs! :) [/QB]O.K. Chris, no problem.

GreatBigBurnetFan
09-23-2003, 10:27 PM
Hi Ya Ya,
We appreciate you supporting us. We certainly do
support our friends from Bandera. That is until we are playing you. We really look forward in coming down to see you folks in the not too
distant future. Good luck 'till we get there. Hey,
YaYa, where's a good place to eat in lovely Bandera?
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan

bd0707
09-23-2003, 10:35 PM
I suspect Burnet will unleash the Dawgs! I feel Marlin is a strong team, well coached and well disciplined. You know, you can always tell when your team has their work cut out for them, you have a coach that believes in his players and a team that believes in each other. Both teams have these same qualities, none the less I think what Marlin is about to witness can only be described one way..... SHOCK & AWE!!!

Everman01Grad.
09-23-2003, 11:24 PM
Hey burnet people i was just wondering does shipley run both ways again this year. I know he did last year. I want to say mcgee did to but not for sure just wondering. This will be a very good game im sure.

PAINTBALL
09-24-2003, 12:02 AM
Everman01Grad.:
Hey burnet people i was just wondering does shipley run both ways again this year. I know he did last year. I want to say mcgee did to but not for sure just wondering. This will be a very good game im sure.Our two starters that play both ways are Shipley and Warner. Both receivers also play defensive backs.

PAINTBALL
09-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Burnet newspaper reported today that D'Nerian Wrighter will be used as running back this week. I wonder were he got that information and if it is true. Does anyone know?

SWTdawg
09-24-2003, 04:18 PM
Tiny:

Bandera YaYa:
WowHave you Tiny???

espn1
09-24-2003, 05:29 PM
SWTdawg:

Tiny:

Bandera YaYa:
WowHave you Tiny???http://www.geocities.com/espn_1@sbcglobal.net/score.gif
I doubt it.

MARLINFAN
09-24-2003, 11:44 PM
IS D NERIAN WRIGHTER PLAYING THIS WEEK FOR THE BULLDOGS

SWTdawg
09-25-2003, 02:26 AM
If I have heard right the only person that will be out for Marlin will be Tank.

About the teams matching up...look for Levens this Friday to take care of any of his doubters as he will pick up the slack and surprise everyone.
Oh yeah, who else would like to see levens run a little defense or at least some special teams???

BIG19
09-25-2003, 07:14 AM
Great graphic espn1!! Very creative. Do you really just sit around looking for new things to add to the board? You do a good job of it. Thanks.

espn1
09-25-2003, 08:38 AM
BIG19:
Great graphic espn1!! Very creative. Do you really just sit around looking for new things to add to the board? You do a good job of it. Thanks.Thank you! I have fun with it.It doesn't take long to do. The score board took 10 minutes. It helps me get my mind off of real work.

PAINTBALL
09-25-2003, 08:56 AM
SWTdawg:

About the teams matching up...look for Levens this Friday to take care of any of his doubters as he will pick up the slack and surprise everyone.
Oh yeah, who else would like to see levens run a little defense or at least some special teams???If Burnet had no two way starters, I would be happy. Everytime Shipley or Warner make a hard tackle, I hold my breath. They would be missed a lot more on offense then defense.

BIG19
09-25-2003, 09:00 AM
PAINTBALL:

SWTdawg:

Oh yeah, who else would like to see levens run a little defense or at least some special teams???If Burnet had no two way starters, I would be happy. Everytime Shipley or Warner make a hard tackle, I hold my breath. They would be missed a lot more on offense then defense.But that is one of the things that make 3A and below what it is. Once you start gettting above the Burnet level in attendance, you get the "specialized" players at almost every position. Being that many 3A players go both ways, just makes it that much more special when a player gets selected to a major college. Make any since?

duckbutter
09-25-2003, 10:22 AM
Burnet 35
Marlin 14

PAINTBALL
09-25-2003, 10:54 AM
BIG19:

PAINTBALL:

SWTdawg:

Oh yeah, who else would like to see levens run a little defense or at least some special teams???If Burnet had no two way starters, I would be happy. Everytime Shipley or Warner make a hard tackle, I hold my breath. They would be missed a lot more on offense then defense.But that is one of the things that make 3A and below what it is. Once you start gettting above the Burnet level in attendance, you get the "specialized" players at almost every position. Being that many 3A players go both ways, just makes it that much more special when a player gets selected to a major college. Make any since?It makes sense, but that doesn't mean I like it. The risk is too great!!!! We have some average talented kids backing up Shipley and Warner, and when average is good enough, why take a chance. They can always be used when average is not good enough. I think Burnet keeps both of these kids in on defense too long.

TYWASH11
09-25-2003, 11:13 AM
This will be a tuff game for Burnet but I know they will come out on top. I seriously don't believe this will be an upset for Burnet. Marlin is a great team but Burnet is up for the challenge and will prevail. Burnet by 14....

cunbed10
09-25-2003, 11:25 AM
The Old One:

Mr. Levens seems to be having a great season thus far.No running on Marlin!

cunbed10
09-25-2003, 11:28 AM
HotDawg89:

jason:

GreatBigBurnetFan:
Hi Jason,

Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFanthanks...i'll be sitting with hotdawg89.....if they'll let me since i made my prediction....Actually Jason- you'll be sitting with my Dad who is an old football coach! But don't worry, I'll come over and meet you and find you--- (about the last 4 minutes of the game- as Burnet is taking it, 35-14.) If my kids don't come, then my hubby and I will come and getcha so we can poke at you every time Burnet scores! :D Dad's got great seats too! We'll still let you sit there! Heck, I picked Reagan to beat us- then I saw us play- I won't pick anyone else over Burnet- but I do think this will be the most challenging game that we play before we reach the playoffs.

Good luck to both teams!Niether team will score more than 4 Touchdowns so my prediction is some one will have 28 and someone will have 26 so 28 to 26 if the final.

PAINTBALL
09-25-2003, 11:43 AM
cunbed10:

The Old One:

Mr. Levens seems to be having a great season thus far.No running on Marlin!If Marlin tries to defend Burnet with just 3 down linemen again. there will be lots of running against Marlin by both Levens and our liitle fullback, Ferguson. Or maybe the end around, or maybe the quarterback keeper, or maybe the quarterback draw, or maybe. . . .

The Old One
09-25-2003, 12:12 PM
Please excuse my mistake. This is an empty post. Perhaps a forum leader could delete it.

<small>[ September 25, 2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: The Old One ]</small>

The Old One
09-25-2003, 12:16 PM
Paintball,

It is clear that Burnet's offense is exposive with Warner and Shipley in there. However, it is very important to not underestimate their importance to the defense as well. If you were to poll the top coaches in the state, you would find that more emphasis is on defense in their programs. I'm not sure if that's the case in Burnet or not. But I would suspect that these two fine skill players would be viewed by thier coaches as being more important on defense in order to prevent their opponents from throwing successfully on them.

PAINTBALL:

BIG19:

PAINTBALL:

SWTdawg:

Oh yeah, who else would like to see levens run a little defense or at least some special teams???If Burnet had no two way starters, I would be happy. Everytime Shipley or Warner make a hard tackle, I hold my breath. They would be missed a lot more on offense then defense.But that is one of the things that make 3A and below what it is. Once you start gettting above the Burnet level in attendance, you get the "specialized" players at almost every position. Being that many 3A players go both ways, just makes it that much more special when a player gets selected to a major college. Make any since?It makes sense, but that doesn't mean I like it. The risk is too great!!!! We have some average talented kids backing up Shipley and Warner, and when average is good enough, why take a chance. They can always be used when average is not good enough. I think Burnet keeps both of these kids in on defense too long.

<small>[ September 25, 2003, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: The Old One ]</small>

Bandera YaYa
09-25-2003, 12:28 PM
GreatBigBurnetFan:
Hi Ya Ya,
We appreciate you supporting us. We certainly do
support our friends from Bandera. That is until we are playing you. We really look forward in coming down to see you folks in the not too
distant future. Good luck 'till we get there. Hey,
YaYa, where's a good place to eat in lovely Bandera?
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFanThanks! Well, we have a few places to eat, depends on what you like....I'd recommend the China Bowl if you like Chinese...really good stuff..or if you like good hamburgers, go to T.J's ...they are new, from New Braunfels, they feature a hamburger bar, really good, plus they have all kinds of hot and cold sandwhiches....
Billy Gene's is a good everything restaurant, good steaks, good chicken fried steaks.....then there is the old OST....been here forever...they have good nachos,that's all I eat there...the local hangout for the local yokels.... All are on Main St....can't miss them......Like I have said before, don't know where all of you will sit, so bring your lawn chairs...but I hope you have a safe trip down....

AND GOOD LUCK FRIDAY !! BEAT MARLIN !! :D

Peace and Ya Ya!!

PAINTBALL
09-25-2003, 12:37 PM
The Old One:
Paintball,

It is clear that Burnet's offense is exposive with Warner and Shipley in there. However, it is very important to not underestimate their importance to the defense as well. If you were to poll the top coaches in the state, you would find that more emphasis is on defense in their programs. I'm not sure if that's the case in Burnet or not. But I am sure that these two fine skill players would be viewed by thier coaches as being more important on defense in order to prevent their opponents from throwing successfully on them.

PAINTBALL:

BIG19:

PAINTBALL:

SWTdawg:

Oh yeah, who else would like to see levens run a little defense or at least some special teams???If Burnet had no two way starters, I would be happy. Everytime Shipley or Warner make a hard tackle, I hold my breath. They would be missed a lot more on offense then defense.But that is one of the things that make 3A and below what it is. Once you start gettting above the Burnet level in attendance, you get the "specialized" players at almost every position. Being that many 3A players go both ways, just makes it that much more special when a player gets selected to a major college. Make any since?It makes sense, but that doesn't mean I like it. The risk is too great!!!! We have some average talented kids backing up Shipley and Warner, and when average is good enough, why take a chance. They can always be used when average is not good enough. I think Burnet keeps both of these kids in on defense too long.I agree, which is why I didn't say don't start them. The thing I most like about football,however, is that kids with average talent, and average or above average intelligence with hard work can find a place to play by at least their senior year. Not counting special teams there are 22 positions to try and win compared to 5 in basketball and 9 in baseball. Let's also don't forget that it is the hard work and dedication of these average talented kids that make it possible for the Division 1 prospects to do their thing.
Why risk a career ending injury of these division 1 prospects when it is not necessary.

BIG19
09-25-2003, 12:43 PM
Paintball, I will agree with you taht it is risky to keep them in on both O and D. I have yet to figure out why they do it, but they do. As for keeping them in to long that I will agree with too. So far this season I have asked that question about their starting offense as well. My opinion is that someone is going ot get hurt and it will be nobodies fault but the coaches. I can understand the wanting to have records, but truthfully, is it worth it? I don't think so. But I still stick with my original post, this is 3A and this is what happens.

Tiny
09-25-2003, 12:45 PM
SWTdawg:

Tiny:

Bandera YaYa:
WowHave you Tiny???Yes I Have!!!! wink

cunbed10
09-25-2003, 12:47 PM
BIG19:
Paintball, I will agree with you taht it is risky to keep them in on both O and D. I have yet to figure out why they do it, but they do. As for keeping them in to long that I will agree with too. So far this season I have asked that question about their starting offense as well. My opinion is that someone is going ot get hurt and it will be nobodies fault but the coaches. I can understand the wanting to have records, but truthfully, is it worth it? I don't think so. But I still stick with my original post, this is 3A and this is what happens.Hopefully, the Big guy in the sky will not allow any injuries in this game, or any other games Friday. Go Marlin underDogs, no one is giving Marlin a chance but me, so if we pull it out I will be the only guy in the state of Texas not surprised!

Tiny
09-25-2003, 12:52 PM
cunbed10:

BIG19:
Paintball, I will agree with you taht it is risky to keep them in on both O and D. I have yet to figure out why they do it, but they do. As for keeping them in to long that I will agree with too. So far this season I have asked that question about their starting offense as well. My opinion is that someone is going ot get hurt and it will be nobodies fault but the coaches. I can understand the wanting to have records, but truthfully, is it worth it? I don't think so. But I still stick with my original post, this is 3A and this is what happens.Hopefully, the Big guy in the sky will not allow any injuries in this game, or any other games Friday. Go Marlin underDogs, no one is giving Marlin a chance but me, so if we pull it out I will be the only guy in the state of Texas not surprised!No their will be two others right there with you.
Marlin 28-24

PAINTBALL
09-25-2003, 01:13 PM
Cunbed10
No one has stated Marlin doesn't have a chance. Every team has a chance to beat another team. We just agree with you that Marlin is the underdog.

jerry7
09-27-2003, 01:12 AM
Not even close.....

espn1
09-27-2003, 01:18 AM
espn1:

Chris Hart:

I'm going to predict a great game that Burnet wins 34-27! Go Burnet, let's answer some ?'s this week. wink Good Point! Burnet by 4 td's.Looks like a good guess to me.

Bandera YaYa
09-27-2003, 01:23 AM
Wanna go to Vegas, espn1? eek!

Tiny
09-27-2003, 01:36 AM
PAINTBALL:
Cunbed10
No one has stated Marlin doesn't have a chance. Every team has a chance to beat another team. We just agree with you that Marlin is the underdog.I thought Marlin would win this game WRONG! Marlin has more than enough talent to beat burnet but the difference is Coaching, Burnet coaches once again had the team ready, It was clear that Marlin was not Prepared at all to play Burnet. If you are going to beat Burnet you better be ready to play!!! Good job Burnet

PAINTBALL
09-27-2003, 01:59 AM
Tiny:

PAINTBALL:
Cunbed10
No one has stated Marlin doesn't have a chance. Every team has a chance to beat another team. We just agree with you that Marlin is the underdog.I thought Marlin would win this game WRONG! Marlin has more than enough talent to beat burnet but the difference is Coaching, Burnet coaches once again had the team ready, It was clear that Marlin was not Prepared at all to play Burnet. If you are going to beat Burnet you better be ready to play!!! Good job Burnet</strong>
Burnet has too many weapons to blame any coach for a loss against Burnet. I would hate to be the defensive coach who had to come up with a game plan to beat Burnet, unless I had a Mean Joe Green as my inside linbacker and a Dion Sanders as my defensive back.

Pudlugger
09-27-2003, 08:26 AM
PAINTBALL:

Tiny:

PAINTBALL:
Cunbed10
No one has stated Marlin doesn't have a chance. Every team has a chance to beat another team. We just agree with you that Marlin is the underdog.I thought Marlin would win this game WRONG! Marlin has more than enough talent to beat burnet but the difference is Coaching, Burnet coaches once again had the team ready, It was clear that Marlin was not Prepared at all to play Burnet. If you are going to beat Burnet you better be ready to play!!! Good job Burnet</strong>
Burnet has too many weapons to blame any coach for a loss against Burnet. I would hate to be the defensive coach who had to come up with a game plan to beat Burnet, unless I had a Mean Joe Green as my inside linbacker and a Dion Sanders as my defensive back.Oh pleeeeeeze!!!! :rolleyes:

thunder
09-27-2003, 08:39 AM
yes coaching and talent go hand in hand.marlin was out coached.it happens

Tiny
09-27-2003, 10:08 AM
espn1:

espn1:

Chris Hart:

I'm going to predict a great game that Burnet wins 34-27! Go Burnet, let's answer some ?'s this week. wink Good Point! Burnet by 4 td's.Looks like a good guess to me.Marlins coaching staff proved they don't belong on the field with Burnet coaches!!!

Bandera YaYa
09-27-2003, 11:34 PM
Has Cunbed10 given us his take on the game? Haven't seen a post from him..post game, I mean. I wanted to start a new topic "How do you eat your crow?", but didn't think he'd see the humor in it....... :D

3afan
09-28-2003, 12:08 AM
marlin may match up well pound-for-pound, but certainly not point-for-point