PDA

View Full Version : Taser or No Taser?

Bullaholic
05-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Where do you come down on this? :

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/04/fan-tasered-after-jumping-onto-field-during-phillies-game/?hpt=C2

I'm sort of conflicted---on one hand the fence-jumper wasn't posing any danger to himself or others, but on the other, I can see where some of these idiots may now think twice about fence-jumping at athletic events.

turbostud
05-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Tase him twice.

Bearkat
05-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Taser him again while he's on the ground, then when he gets up give him one more for good measure. The idiot knew it was against the rules of the ballpark, as well as, against the law to jump onto the field and start running around. Maybe this will send a message to anyone else that thinks they should follow in his actions.

MUSTANG69
05-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
Tase him twice.

x2:D :devil:

jason
05-04-2010, 10:59 AM
doesn't even look like he got tazed...

scrub c
05-04-2010, 11:00 AM
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

i think its funny when other people get tased...

I sure wouldn't want to have it done to me

PPSTATEBOUND
05-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Tazers have been known to kill people in a instant, and that has happend on numerous occasions. The use of tazers should only be justified if ones life is in danger IMO. This man was headed to jail as soon as he left the field so why taze him and take the chance of killing him just cause you have a tazer gun and are trigger happy and you can.

As soon as one of their dear cadets gets dropped like a rock then the use of these will come to a screeching hault.

BwdLion73
05-04-2010, 11:14 AM
[i]

As soon as one of their dear cadets gets dropped like a rock then the use of these will come to a screeching hault. [/B]

:(

Bullaholic
05-04-2010, 11:19 AM
The core of this issue comes down to---Should security personnel or law enforcement officers be allowed to use tasers to subdue non-violent fence jumpers, or should they be required to run them down and physically eject and arrest them?

TheDOCTORdre
05-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Fence jumpers make me think about mexicans:D

crzyjournalist03
05-04-2010, 11:26 AM
I could be mistaken, but I believe that officers in the police academy all must GET tased during their training.

Pick6
05-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Bearkat
Taser him again while he's on the ground, then when he gets up give him one more for good measure. The idiot knew it was against the rules of the ballpark, as well as, against the law to jump onto the field and start running around. Maybe this will send a message to anyone else that thinks they should follow in his actions.

I agree, we need stupid people to see more examples of what could happen if they break the law.

rholl
05-04-2010, 11:49 AM
If all major sports made it policy that fence jumpers are captured and brought down with the use of tasers then fence jumping should stop. You know how its going to end if you decide to jump the fence and if you choose to jump the fence then you are responsible for the results!!!

big daddy russ
05-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I could be mistaken, but I believe that officers in the police academy all must GET tased during their training.
They do. My godson's dad is going through the academy here in Houston right now. Just got tased recently.

Reds fan
05-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by jason
doesn't even look like he got tazed...

Yeah, he did not look like it had a big effect.

GreenMonster
05-04-2010, 12:01 PM
I disagree totally. I say tie them to a stake stategically placed right behind second base, then pile firewood up around them roughly waist high, douse it all with a little gasoline, and then toss a book of lit matches on the pile. After 2, or maybe 3, burnings at the stake I think fence jumping would come to an end at sporting events altogether, or we could just stop selling alcohol at games which would probably do the same thing with the exception of only 2 or 3 idiots a decade. Just a thought.:p

TheDOCTORdre
05-04-2010, 12:06 PM
he should have listened to his dad

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5161474

bigwood33
05-04-2010, 12:21 PM
I agree with PPSB, just say no to tasing. A fine and night in jail is appropriate. Assault by a police officer is not.

ziggy29
05-04-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm starting to think one of the reasons we're getting so much anti-social behavior today is that anything more than a slap on the wrist as punishment for it is seen as "cruel and unusual" or "excessive."

Maroon87
05-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
I'm starting to think one of the reasons we're getting so much anti-social behavior today is that anything more than a slap on the wrist as punishment for it is seen as "cruel and unusual" or "excessive." :iagree:

PPSTATEBOUND
05-04-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm starting to think one of the reasons we're getting so much anti-social behavior today is that anything more than a slap on the wrist as punishment for it is seen as "cruel and unusual" or "excessive."

Mandatory $20,000 fine if you jump the fence...seams like it would put a stop to things without risking killing anyone with the use of a tazer.

TheDOCTORdre
05-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
Mandatory $20,000 fine if you jump the fence...seams like it would put a stop to things without risking killing anyone with the use of a tazer.

and a lifetime ban from all sporting events...start blackballing all offenders

turbostud
05-04-2010, 12:39 PM
He looks Middle Eastern to me. Tazing is justified.
Plus he's a Philly fan, who doesnt enjoy seeing that.

ronwx5x
05-04-2010, 12:43 PM
I find myself wondering what would have happened to someone who did this in 1970, before tasers. I doubt there would have been gunfire, just arrest and a fine. While shooting would be inappropriate for his actions, I'm not sure a taser is either. The authorities have training for handling this type of occurance and there are legal penalties. With all the police and security officers, he would have been apprehended without tasing.

With that said, I surely don't condone fans running across the field. Aprehend and fine them.

TheDOCTORdre
05-04-2010, 12:46 PM
how bout if its a baseball game have the ace pitcher get to throw at the offender like firing squad style...that would definately leave a mark

PPSTATEBOUND
05-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
how bout if its a baseball game have the ace pitcher get to throw at the offender like firing squad style...that would definately leave a mark

LOL.....hilarious visual...:clap:

big daddy russ
05-04-2010, 01:30 PM
I don't think excessive fines wlll curb the practice. I'm kinda on the fence about tazing, but Mike Greenberg had a great point about the individual's intent. It's always been fun and games up till now, but what happens when one of these days someone with some bad intentions runs out there?

Maybe tazing is the way to go. Maybe it's not. But there are great arguments both ways.

Pick6
05-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Monica Seles was attacked on the court, a baseball coach was attacked on the field. Taser is a pretty good idea.

turbostud
05-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I don't think excessive fines wlll curb the practice. I'm kinda on the fence about tazing, but Mike Greenberg had a great point about the individual's intent. It's always been fun and games up till now, but what happens when one of these days someone with some bad intentions runs out there?

Maybe tazing is the way to go. Maybe it's not. But there are great arguments both ways.

Its already happened. A Royals first base coach was attacked a few years ago by a father and son in Chicago.

big daddy russ
05-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Its already happened. A Royals first base coach was attacked a few years ago by a father and son in Chicago.
I remember that.

BleedOrange
05-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
I agree with PPSB, just say no to tasing. A fine and night in jail is appropriate. Assault by a police officer is not.

The idiot broke the law and deserves what he got. Once the decision to jump was made he accepted the consequences. If the intent is to imply that their was "assualt by a police officer" I find this laughable. Why do people continually blame the police for doing their job?

Ranger Mom
05-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by BleedOrange
The idiot broke the law and deserves what he got. Once the decision to jump was made he accepted the consequences. If the intent is to imply that their was "assualt by a police officer" I find this laughable. Why do people continually blame the police for doing their job?

I agree!!! In this day and age, you just can't be too careful anymore!!!!

PPSTATEBOUND
05-04-2010, 02:01 PM

People must totally be missing the point that a tazer can kill you..like a drunk driver can....laws against what ifs are in place for one...but a free for all is going on with the other...I say when A cadet drops like a rock it will stop immediatly..and the sad fact it is a reality and just a matter of time before one hits the floor never to get back up.

Pick6
05-04-2010, 02:03 PM
People must totally be missing the point that a tazer can kill you..like a drunk driver can....laws against what ifs are in place for one...but a free for all is going on with the other...I say when A cadet drops like a rock it will stop immediatly..and the sad fact it is a reality and just a matter of time before one hits the floor never to get back up.

And a knife could of killed Monica Seles also.

PPSTATEBOUND
05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
And a knife could of killed Monica Seles also.

She got poked at best. Ive hurt myself worse weeding the garden.:)

Bullaholic
05-04-2010, 02:05 PM

A little "devil's advocate" here, PPSB---The same arguments concerning fatalities are sometimes used against football and boxing calling for their abolitions, also.

PPSTATEBOUND
05-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
A little "devil's advocate" here, PPSB---The same arguments concerning fatalities are sometimes used against football and boxing calling for their abolitions, also.

:devil: :devil: .....:D

Farmersfan
05-04-2010, 02:20 PM

The tacos served in concessions can also kill you if you don't swallow right PP! Do we outlaw those also? I'm thinking that a lot of "fence jumpers" getting killed by tasing might not be all bad. I am more and more beginning to beleive that we need to CLEAN HOUSE in this country a little bit! Know what I mean? In a population of 300 million I don't think we should be overly concerned about protecting a few douchbags who really wouldn't be missed anyway.........................

Pick6
05-04-2010, 02:22 PM
She got poked at best. Ive hurt myself worse weeding the garden.:)

Regardless of how deep the stab was, the intent for harm was there for much worse. I guess if someone attacks your daughter with a knife that person shouldn't be stopped until we can see how deep the wound is.

bigwood33
05-04-2010, 02:22 PM

His job was to apprehend the kid, not electrocute him, that was the cop's decision. If you are being honest, you will admit that the only reason that it happened (taser was used) is the cop got tired of chasing him.
I will admit that we may have to agree to disagree on this point. I do like the idea of using water canon's to deter this type of thing.

BTW, don't any of you remember Morganna, the kissing bandit? She was greatness!

PPSTATEBOUND
05-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
The tacos served in concessions can also kill you if you don't swallow right PP! Do we outlaw those also? I'm thinking that a lot of "fence jumpers" getting killed by tasing might not be all bad. I am more and more beginning to beleive that we need to CLEAN HOUSE in this country a little bit! Know what I mean? In a population of 300 million I don't think we should be overly concerned about protecting a few douchbags who really wouldn't be missed anyway.........................

Doesn't fit the crime...never mentioned outlawing anything I dont think.

PPSTATEBOUND
05-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Regardless of how deep the stab was, the intent for harm was there for much worse. I guess if someone attacks your daughter with a knife that person shouldn't be stopped until we can see how deep the wound is.

Jeez pick6....I saw no knife or machete in the teens hands.

Farmersfan
05-04-2010, 02:35 PM
His job was to apprehend the kid, not electrocute him, that was the cop's decision. If you are being honest, you will admit that the only reason that it happened (taser was used) is the cop got tired of chasing him.
I will admit that we may have to agree to disagree on this point.

Why would any sane person think a cop should have to "Chase" a crimminal in the first place? Crimminals aren't afraid of running from cops anymore. I say if you run from a cop who has demanded you stop then you get shot. Hopefully you can live through the gunshot, but if not, Oh well! Don't run from a cop!
We have effectively tied the hands of our law enforcement over the past 30 years and now we have a police force that is suspect in a lot of ways. What quality person would want to be subjected to the crap that a cop must put up with?(A lot like our teachers). The standards for becomeing a police officer are lowered each and every year just to fill the spots that are needed. Imagine the number of trigger happy sociopaths that will be working in this field in the future if things don't change.

Farmersfan
05-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Doesn't fit the crime...never mentioned outlawing anything I dont think.

Not allowing the taser is outlawing it!!!! Doesn't fit the crime based on todays standards PP! And todays standards are exactly what is being questioned in this post.

TheDOCTORdre
05-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Victims of society

Bullaholic
05-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Why would any sane person think a cop should have to "Chase" a crimminal in the first place? Crimminals aren't afraid of running from cops anymore. I say if you run from a cop who has demanded you stop then you get shot. Hopefully you can live through the gunshot, but if not, Oh well! Don't run from a cop!
We have effectively tied the hands of our law enforcement over the past 30 years and now we have a police force that is suspect in a lot of ways. What quality person would want to be subjected to the crap that a cop must put up with?(A lot like our teachers). The standards for becomeing a police officer are lowered each and every year just to fill the spots that are needed. Imagine the number of trigger happy sociopaths that will be working in this field in the future if things don't change.

Time out Farmer! I'm having a little prob following your post---tell me if this is a true perception of what you are saying...

1. More people need to be shot by police for fleeing arrest.

2. Too many sociopaths who like to shoot people are becoming police officers.

Which of the above would make you happiest?

bigwood33
05-04-2010, 02:44 PM

My goodness, the kid was just messing around! He didn't attack anyone and, yes before you point out the obvious, was breaking the law, but he sure wasn't hurting anyone. All he was doing was annoying people and if that starts being against the law, you are in trouble. I suppose that you supported the Plano police officer who pulled a gun on those folks last year in the hospital parking lot who were just trying to get to the hospital before their mother died! I know that we live in a dangerous world but everything isn't dangerous. A little discretion is a good thing.

BleedOrange
05-04-2010, 03:16 PM
My goodness, the kid was just messing around! He didn't attack anyone and, yes before you point out the obvious, was breaking the law, but he sure wasn't hurting anyone. All he was doing was annoying people and if that starts being against the law, you are in trouble. I suppose that you supported the Plano police officer who pulled a gun on those folks last year in the hospital parking lot who were just trying to get to the hospital before their mother died! I know that we live in a dangerous world but everything isn't dangerous. A little discretion is a good thing.

You assume that the police officer knew the intent of the fence jumper. To make assumption on someone's intent prior to actual knowledge can be very dangerous for enforcement agencies. Tasing always seems excessive after the fact when the original intent, once discovered, is generally harmless. A little discretion should have been considered by the jumper.

rholl
05-04-2010, 03:27 PM
People dont want to held accountable for their own actions!!! Its being proven right here on this thread. Lets minimize all infractions and argue that every response is an overreaction!!!!! Starts with parents in the schools and carries over into everyday life. But lo and behold when someone gets probation for a manslaughter charge, everyone wants to get all indignant and blame the justice system for a failure but the seeds of deterance were planted way before!!!!!!!

ronwx5x
05-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Hmm, I don't recall even one post advocating no punishment. Several, including my own, did feel tasering was maybe a bit overboard. But no punishment? Don't think so.

Farmersfan
05-04-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm talking about cause and effect.

If the crime continues then the punishment isn't strict enough!!!!

crzyjournalist03
05-04-2010, 03:54 PM

There is no such thing as a non-lethal weapon.

Tasers are far less dangerous than most weapons, and in the hands of properly trained professionals, are even less dangerous.

Taser-related deaths are almost always the result of one of two situations: a shot to the head in which the dart pierces the brain (so it's not the shock that gets you actually) or people with heart-related issues requiring things like a pacemaker (the pacemaker may temporarily stop due to the electric jolt.)

Police officers are trained on taser usage and know not to shoot at the head. I have a hard time believing that a taser used by a trained professional is any more dangerous than the alternative of getting gang-tackled and forcibly subdued by a group of officers' bodies.

bigwood33
05-04-2010, 05:09 PM
You assume that the police officer knew the intent of the fence jumper. To make assumption on someone's intent prior to actual knowledge can be very dangerous for enforcement agencies. Tasing always seems excessive after the fact when the original intent, once discovered, is generally harmless. A little discretion should have been considered by the jumper.

The kid was zigzagging around the outfield, laughing with no weapon in his hand. He was obviously just in a "penalty kill" mode. Yes, he should be held accountable for his actions, a fine and maybe a night in jail/juvie. He in no way could have anticipated being electrocuted. I imagine what he expected was to be tackled, possibly even roughed up a bit but not tased.

turbostud
05-04-2010, 05:16 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dO0zGwIVbv4/R36b53sTXPI/AAAAAAAAAHQ/blX_Xj1dE-w/s320/%255B1984%255DRIDE%2BTHE%2BLIGHTNING.jpg

sinton66
05-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Taze 'em or bring 'em down with a net gun then drag them off the field feet first.:D

turbostud
05-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Roll on 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBTgFkQskQc)

D_bird
05-04-2010, 06:03 PM
I have absolutely no problem with the tazing. For one thing, you never know what anyone's intentions are and second of all whoever is stupid enough to go run around out on a field in front of 45,000 people deserves it. He is just lucky Bo Jackson wasn't out there.

eagleqb_14
05-04-2010, 07:10 PM
who cares it already happened just laugh and enjoy:clap:

ssgmp5150
05-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
:iagree: :ditto: :ditto:

ssgmp5150
05-04-2010, 07:42 PM
:iagree:

ssgmp5150
05-04-2010, 07:44 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!

ziggy29
05-04-2010, 07:46 PM
He in no way could have anticipated being electrocuted. I imagine what he expected was to be tackled, possibly even roughed up a bit but not tased.
Maybe if they expect to be tased in the future, they won't do it.

Maybe it's all about changing expectations. If the punishment is something to joke about and dismiss as trivial, you're just inviting it to continue.

I'm not necessarily saying he *should* have been tased but I'm certainly not outraged about an idiot breaking laws and getting zapped.

sinton66
05-04-2010, 07:52 PM
If he'd been a "streaker", he would have deserved it.

Don't look, Ethyl!!!:D

Ranger Mom
05-04-2010, 08:00 PM
The kid was zigzagging around the outfield, laughing with no weapon in his hand. He was obviously just in a "penalty kill" mode. Yes, he should be held accountable for his actions, a fine and maybe a night in jail/juvie. He in no way could have anticipated being electrocuted. I imagine what he expected was to be tackled, possibly even roughed up a bit but not tased.

I bet he don't do it again!!

ziggy29
05-04-2010, 08:08 PM
And where's Mike Curtis when you need him?

BaseballUmp
05-04-2010, 09:07 PM
haha just saw on baseball tonight that another guy ran onto the field again tonight but he wasnt tased...just taken off the field

orange machine
05-04-2010, 09:40 PM
So some of you folks think that the Officer and other staff should just chase this guy around the baseball field give me a break. What if this idiot would have assaulted a player coach fan or whatever during his stupid act, would the officer have been justified then by tasing the guy.

PPSTATEBOUND you act like the taser is a real gun and kills people all the time. The taser has saved many people from actually getting shot. This crap about the taser killing people is dumb. Most of the deaths that have been linked to the taser are people who are on serious drugs and have had health issuses already. The taser itself did not cause the people to die.

CHALK ONE UP FOR THE GOOD GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

Pick6
05-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by orange machine

Funny, I didn't see a good guy on the field during that time.

ssgmp5150
05-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Excellent point! Tase em all is what I say! You want to act like an idiot, then prepare to ride the lightning! lol

So some of you folks think that the Officer and other staff should just chase this guy around the baseball field give me a break. What if this idiot would have assaulted a player coach fan or whatever during his stupid act, would the officer have been justified then by tasing the guy.

PPSTATEBOUND you act like the taser is a real gun and kills people all the time. The taser has saved many people from actually getting shot. This crap about the taser killing people is dumb. Most of the deaths that have been linked to the taser are people who are on serious drugs and have had health issuses already. The taser itself did not cause the people to die.

BHBrave08
05-05-2010, 08:18 AM
A little extreme to use a taser but the guy did get what was coming to him for being an idiot.

As far as the idea of a taser being a non-lethal or lethal weapon... Yea yall are right it can be lethal (but the chances are low) but then again if they chase that guy around for 15 minutes and then tackle him there is a chance (even though it's low just like the taser) that he could break his neck when he hits the ground... So the subject of is it lethal or not is really not all that important because really and truly any type of physical force to "take him down" can be possibly lethal in one way or another.

LE Dad
05-05-2010, 08:26 AM
If the following rules are posted for any sports teams season, I think you would see a significant drop in fans disrupting games. I would say no more than 3 incidents would occur per year.

Rules for fans on the field:

1st fan- chase down and pummel

2nd fan- taser

All subsequent fans will be shot on sight.

BHBrave08
05-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
If the following rules are posted for any sports teams season, I think you would see a significant drop in fans disrupting games. I would say no more than 3 incidents would occur per year.

2nd fan- taser

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :clap:

Farmersfan
05-05-2010, 08:29 AM
I heard on the news this morning that the Police Dept has said the incident is being investigated. Another Police Dept fearing the Liberal public outrage and bending to stupid Political Correctness! Just once I would love to hear about a leader with the Police force that tells the public (media) how it REALLY is instead of playing politics!!!!

Farmersfan
05-05-2010, 08:31 AM

2nd fan- taser

I say they should have trained attack dogs at the game and if a fan jumps the fence then they simply "RELEASE THE HOUNDS"!!!!

venomous tat2
05-05-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm sure there were other officers there and my point is they could have cut him off he had to exit some where but because they were not not going to catch him running they just tazed him.
it looks like to me they were not gonna be embarrassed cause they couldnt catch him in front of 45 thousand fans .

So if someone like Morgana Roberts jump the fence it's ok to taze her too . Tazing should only be done when a situation becomes hostile . If that kid would have died I bet your comments
would be different . JMO :thinking:

turbostud
05-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by venomous tat2
I'm sure there were other officers there and my point is they could have cut him off he had to exit some where but because they were not not going to catch him running they just tazed him.
it looks like to me they were not gonna be embarrassed cause they couldnt catch him in front of 45 thousand fans .

So if someone like Morgana Roberts jump the fence it's ok to taze her too . Tazing should only be done when a situation becomes hostile . If that kid would have died I bet your comments
would be different . JMO :thinking:

Coulda woulda shoulda. They shoulda hooked the taser darts to his family jewels and lit him up Abu Ghraib style. that would also eliminate his chances of reproduction and polluting the gene pool.

PPSTATEBOUND
05-05-2010, 02:00 PM

LOL..if they would not have been tazed they would not have died..sounds correct? and like I said..Once a cadet hits the floor never to get up again "and its only a matter of time" the Tazer will be rethought, and nobody will be laughing my friend....you know everyone is not created equal in this society so it will take one of their own going down to stop using the tazer in inncidents like this...Not against tazers but in this instint lack of judgement got the best of two people. A inshape police officer would have got the best of this guy and fast....guess those types were not available.:eek: from my experience they seem to be the minority these days.

LE Dad
05-05-2010, 02:09 PM

would be different . JMO :thinking: No, if he had died, I would be more remorseful but I would still think the officer acted correctly. If the kid was ordered to stop he should stop, any action other than stopping is evading apprehension. The kid may have meant no harm, but he was distracting security resources away from their assigned posts which could endanger fans should something occur elsewhere. Law enforcements job is to protect and serve and they can't do that while chasing some jackass across the field.

In the words of my favorite law enforcement officer....

"cuff em n stuff em" - Roscoe Peeeeeeeeeeee Coultrane.:D

ronwx5x
05-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Ask yourself if a 17 year old girl ran out on the field, would she be treated the same? Of course not. Should the officers be sanctioned for their actions? Probably not, but they sure could have stopped the boy without the taser.

As far as all the ridiculous banter on what should have been done or where he should have been shot, think about if he were your son and some of the things mentioned on here actually were done to him. Get a grip and deal with adversity in an adult manner. Grab him, escort him out and fine him.

Bullaholic
05-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Following is a good example of the correct and judicious use of the taser:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2010/05/05/carjacking.suspect.tased.koin?hpt=C2

NateDawg39
05-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Why don't we just put snipers on different sections of stadiums from now on? Im sure that would keep people from risking being zapped :)

Farmersfan
05-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Ask yourself if a 17 year old girl ran out on the field, would she be treated the same? Of course not. Should the officers be sanctioned for their actions? Probably not, but they sure could have stopped the boy without the taser.

As far as all the ridiculous banter on what should have been done or where he should have been shot, think about if he were your son and some of the things mentioned on here actually were done to him. Get a grip and deal with adversity in an adult manner. Grab him, escort him out and fine him.

Treat him nice and escort him out and he will live to jump another fence in another ball park again in the future......... Sounds like a real good "Adult" plan to prevent this from happening.

ssgmp5150
05-05-2010, 04:01 PM
LMAO!!!! That's funny right there!

Coulda woulda shoulda. They shoulda hooked the taser darts to his family jewels and lit him up Abu Ghraib style. that would also eliminate his chances of reproduction and polluting the gene pool.

ssgmp5150
05-05-2010, 04:06 PM
PP Steakhound....I suggest you pick up a sidearm and join the force my friend! I am sure you could have kept up with em! I have personally been tased twice and I can assure you that there is a VERY MINIMAL chance of serious bodily injury or death! Less of a chance than breaking the guys neck as you tackle him to the ground! I absolutely applaud that officer for jacking his sorry butt up in front of thousands! The knucklehead should have thought about the consequences before jumping onto that field! Now, I say fine the ever living crap out of him and throw him in jail for a little bit! If we did this more often, then perhaps our crime rate might go down just a little bit! Bottom line....I bet that kid will never do that again!

LOL..if they would not have been tazed they would not have died..sounds correct? and like I said..Once a cadet hits the floor never to get up again "and its only a matter of time" the Tazer will be rethought, and nobody will be laughing my friend....you know everyone is not created equal in this society so it will take one of their own going down to stop using the tazer in inncidents like this...Not against tazers but in this instint lack of judgement got the best of two people. A inshape police officer would have got the best of this guy and fast....guess those types were not available.:eek: from my experience they seem to be the minority these days.

ssgmp5150
05-05-2010, 04:08 PM
I would tase the ever living crap out of a 17 year old girl in a heartbeat without hesitation if she pulled a stunt like this idiot did! Without batting an eyebrow!

Z motion 10 out on 2
05-05-2010, 05:05 PM

Your post made me laugh!

Phantom Stang
05-05-2010, 05:36 PM

So if someone like Morgana Roberts jump the fence it's ok to taze her too .
If she had jumped the fence in this day and age, she would have been tased
and soon forgotten. It's a good thing for Morgana and America, that she came along at a time when folks in this country still had a sense of humor.

ronwx5x
05-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Treat him nice and escort him out and he will live to jump another fence in another ball park again in the future......... Sounds like a real good "Adult" plan to prevent this from happening.

Read the second part of my post one more time. Certainly he will live, but to jump another fence? I doubt it seriously. Again, what if it were your own child?

I think the little twerp should be punished with whatever the law says is the legal maximum. I also feel if it were my child, I would want them punished and a lesson learned. The boy was not harmed by the taser, but he would have been captured without resorting to that strong of a takedown.

Once again, I don't even advocate that the officers should be punished. I think they (the officers) will think twice before tasing someone again unless there is violence on the part of the offender, If you don't think so, just read what happened to the next guy who jumped on the field. The tasing of the first kid certainly did not deter him. They're both deserving of whatever punishment they get. I also think the kid who got tased will get off lighter than the second idiot.

LH Panther Mom
05-05-2010, 06:24 PM
think about if he were your son and some of the things mentioned on here actually were done to him.
If it were my son that had called me to ask if he should do it and I told him "no, that's a bad idea!" AND he did it anyway, he'd be thankful to be tased, because that's nothing compared to the eternal grounding & slave labor I'd put him through! :devil:

Z motion 10 out on 2
05-05-2010, 06:31 PM
For those posters that are not familiar with police policies: the police use what is called a use of force continuum. Using a taser and jumping on someone and subduing them generally fall within the same level of force. That being said, the chance of injury of the offender would be much less being tased and the officers hand cuff him while he is "under power". Generally officers that carry it have been tased themselves so that they know what it feels like. Just on a side note: I have been tased in police in-service training and it sucks being tased. I certainly would do what I was told if one was pointed at me. I wouldn’t suggest that every single person that goes onto the field be tasered because they ran on the field. I would suggest that the taser level of force be available should it arise to that level. I agree with the vast majority on this board that in today’s time we cannot allow people to gain access to the field no matter their intention. Should the guy have been tasered? In my opinion, -- yes. What injuries did he receive? I suspect there were none. What injuries did the officers/ security receive? I suspect none. Had the officers jumped on him without tasing him then both parties may have been injured. There you have it!

Z motion 10 out on 2
05-05-2010, 06:36 PM
One more thing and this is for Green Monster. At an Iowa Park v. Vernon game about 6 or 7 years ago during the halftime show a kid ran out of the tunnel with nothing but shoes, whitie tities and a mask. He did this while the band was playing and he ran the complete 100 yards on the field only to run out of breath and have the Iowa Park cops catch him on the other side of the field.

I assume he became famous at the school after that incident. Does anyone remember that?

Z motion 10 out on 2
05-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Not titties you guys. Tighties I mean!

ronwx5x
05-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
If it were my son that had called me to ask if he should do it and I told him "no, that's a bad idea!" AND he did it anyway, he'd be thankful to be tased, because that's nothing compared to the eternal grounding & slave labor I'd put him through! :devil:

Here are just a few suggestion by your friendly posters of what should be done to your son after you told him no.

Originally posted by Bearkat

Originally posted by GreenMonster
I disagree totally. I say tie them to a stake stategically placed right behind second base, then pile firewood up around them roughly waist high, douse it all with a little gasoline, and then toss a book of lit matches on the pile. After 2, or maybe 3, burnings at the stake I think fence jumping would come to an end at sporting events altogether, or we could just stop selling alcohol at games which would probably do the same thing with the exception of only 2 or 3 idiots a decade. Just a thought.:p

Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre

Originally posted by sinton66
Taze 'em or bring 'em down with a net gun then drag them off the field feet first.:D

2nd fan- taser

I say they should have trained attack dogs at the game and if a fan jumps the fence then they simply "RELEASE THE HOUNDS"!!!!

Originally posted by NateDawg39
Why don't we just put snipers on different sections of stadiums from now on? Im sure that would keep people from risking being zapped :)

ssgmp5150
05-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Right on Mom!

Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

ziggy29
05-06-2010, 10:35 AM
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20100506_Phils_security_puts_police_on_sideline.ht ml

Police officers stationed on the field will offer their assistance only "if greater force is necessary," according the team's statement.

Meaning what? Only after an assault is already in progress? Only after we let another player, coach or umpire become the next Tom Gamboa or Monica Seles?

We are truly becoming a wussified nation.

NateDawg39
05-06-2010, 11:09 AM
When some idiot runs on the field or court, stabs a player, coach or official, and they DIE.....what then?

If your gonna be stupid you better be tough.

Phantom Stang
05-06-2010, 11:10 AM
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20100506_Phils_security_puts_police_on_sideline.ht ml

Meaning what? Only after an assault is already in progress? Only after we let another player, coach or umpire become the next Tom Gamboa or Monica Seles?

We are truly becoming a wussified nation.
From the article:
"Betz also faces a *********(wacky tobacky)-possession charge. He apparently forgot, police said, to take a bag of the drug out of his pocket before interrupting the game."
:D :evillol:

PPSTATEBOUND
05-06-2010, 11:30 AM
According to Amnisty Internation 2009 Report, 334 people were killed by Taser Guns from 2001 to 2009, in the US alone.

http://www.taserdeathmap.org/

ziggy29
05-06-2010, 11:34 AM
According to Amnisty Internation 2009 Report, 334 people were killed by Taser Guns from 2001 to 2009, in the US alone.
Even more incentive to not be a moron and run on to the field.

PPSTATEBOUND
05-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Even more incentive to not be a moron and run on to the field.

Like I said..when one of their own hits the floor for good..... this will stop.

kaorder1999
05-06-2010, 11:40 AM
i think its completely justified. Doesnt even look in the video like he got tased though....

BEAST
05-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Like I said..when one of their own hits the floor for good..... this will stop.

Are you simply against the use of a taser altogether or against the use of one in this instance.

BEAST

ziggy29
05-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
Are you simply against the use of a taser altogether or against the use of one in this instance.
Apparently we should wait until someone on the field is getting beaten on or stabbed.

LE Dad
05-06-2010, 12:22 PM

:( Amnesty International is one of the biggest U.S. haters in the world. I would doubt any stats that they published.:nerd:

LE Dad
05-06-2010, 12:30 PM
LOL..if they would not have been tazed they would not have died..sounds correct? and like I said..Once a cadet hits the floor never to get up again "and its only a matter of time" the Tazer will be rethought, and nobody will be laughing my friend....you know everyone is not created equal in this society so it will take one of their own going down to stop using the tazer in inncidents like this...Not against tazers but in this instint lack of judgement got the best of two people. A inshape police officer would have got the best of this guy and fast....guess those types were not available.:eek: from my experience they seem to be the minority these days. If he would not have violated the law by goining onto the field and then violated another law by not complying with police instructions... no force would be necessary.
If he was forced to the ground and seriously injured or potentially killed by the extreme use of force then it would be the same conversation. The fact is the kid violated the law and was evading the officer. No different than ending a high speed chase with spike strips.:thinking:

kaorder1999
05-06-2010, 12:35 PM
If he would not have violated the law by goining onto the field and then violated another law by not complying with police instructions... no force would be necessary.
If he was forced to the ground and seriously injured or potentially killed by the extreme use of force then it would be the same conversation. The fact is the kid violated the law and was evading the officer. No different than ending a high speed chase with spike strips.:thinking:

amen! :clap: :clap:

OldBison75
05-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Using the theory that if a cadet goes down the taser will be not used anymore is crazy. The same stats that were posted from amnesty international (a criminal support group) include more than 10 police officers that died in training exercises with tasers. All of these deaths were not from the taser shock itself, but from the underlying medical condition that the victim had.

AI won't post the total picture either. There have been over 3 million documented uses of a taser in police situations in the last ten years and there have been less that 350 that resulted in death to the person tased. A very low percentage that is made even more infrequent since over 300 of those victims had underlying heart conditions or were on drugs that caused the effects to be more dangerous.

Take into consideration that more people have died from physical confrontations with police in the last ten years where there has been no weapon of any kind used (gun, taser, nightstick, etc.). Plus, how many have died in custody from stress after these physical confrontations and thier underlying medical conditions kicked in. AND, each year a large number of police officers are killed in the line of duty by the fine citizens of this country. Stats prove that the actor is usually a previous offender that has never served time for previous offenses. Many have been "slapped on the hand" by the court system more than once.

I say, there are laws that must be enforced for the safety and security of all. If a person chooses to break these laws and refuses to cooperate with the responding officer when confronted, then they are asking for a physical response. Non-lethal force is force that is least likely to cause death or serious bodily injury. A taseer is a low risk use of non-lethal force. Less likely to cause permanent injury or death that a night stick beating to the head and body.

I'll never change some people's mind--but as a former Police Officer, I have been on both sides of physical confrontations and have the physical and emotional scars to prove it. I have had friends in law enforcement killed or crippled by idiots just having a little fun. It is a shame that some people see it as okay that our society seeks to handcuff the police by telling them that they have to have a checksheet and make sure that every box is checked before they decide what response to give in a situation. I can tell you that many time the cops have a split second to remember and assess the thrat levels and standard operating procedure for justification of use of force. Ultimately, the officer should determine if allowing the situation to progress could be dangerous. If so--USE THE FORCE NECESSARY TO END THE SITATION. This happened in this case.

PPSTATEBOUND
05-06-2010, 01:03 PM
I say we bring back 5 cent beer night and give the tazers a great workout.

PPSTATEBOUND
05-06-2010, 01:05 PM
"All of these deaths were not from the taser shock itself, but from the underlying medical condition that the victim had."

so they were fixing to die at anytime?

OldBison75
05-06-2010, 01:19 PM
A person with underlying medical conditions or undiagnosed medical conditions is subject to die any time, YES PPS.

Just like many athletes have underlying heart conditions that are usually undetected and die during or after practice or games. So, using your logic, should society outlaw practices and hold coaches responsible for making a kid have to practice to play, even if they have no knowlege of the underlying medical condition of the players and they have passed the required physical examination to participate in the sport?

Should we tell cops that they should never use force except to defend themself after being attacked? If they have been shot or shot at, they can fire in return, if they are not already dead or incapicated. If they see a person threatening the safety of another, they must wait until the physical attack starts to do anymore than tell the actor to stop. If a person runs, and they have no visible weapon, just let them run. If we do this, no ctriminal will carry a weapon when they run, they will throw it down and dare the cops to do anything but chase them.

I have a solution, tell law enforcement to only pull thier weapons when they know the intention of the actor, which means that after the actor has actually used the weapon since we can't read his mind. If the actor decide to run and is apparently unarmed, put a notice in the local paper that they must turn themselves in or they will be punished. THAT WILL REALLY BE PUT A DENT IN CRIME.

ssgmp5150
05-06-2010, 01:36 PM
I can assure you there Steakhound....Tasers have saved many more lives than they have taken! If you don't want to run the risk of getting tased, then behave and obey the law! End of story...Plain and simple!

God Bless all police officers throughout this great country of ours by the way as National Police Memorial Week approaches! For all who have made the ultimate sacrifice, may you rest in peace. You may be gone, but you are not forgotten!

"All of these deaths were not from the taser shock itself, but from the underlying medical condition that the victim had."

so they were fixing to die at anytime?

PPSTATEBOUND
05-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
A person with underlying medical conditions or undiagnosed medical conditions is subject to die any time, YES PPS.

Just like many athletes have underlying heart conditions that are usually undetected and die during or after practice or games. So, using your logic, should society outlaw practices and hold coaches responsible for making a kid have to practice to play, even if they have no knowlege of the underlying medical condition of the players and they have passed the required physical examination to participate in the sport?

Should we tell cops that they should never use force except to defend themself after being attacked? If they have been shot or shot at, they can fire in return, if they are not already dead or incapicated. If they see a person threatening the safety of another, they must wait until the physical attack starts to do anymore than tell the actor to stop. If a person runs, and they have no visible weapon, just let them run. If we do this, no ctriminal will carry a weapon when they run, they will throw it down and dare the cops to do anything but chase them.

I have a solution, tell law enforcement to only pull thier weapons when they know the intention of the actor, which means that after the actor has actually used the weapon since we can't read his mind. If the actor decide to run and is apparently unarmed, put a notice in the local paper that they must turn themselves in or they will be punished. THAT WILL REALLY BE PUT A DENT IN CRIME.

I think having a inshape officer on duty at the time would have saved this whole arguement. Looked like nothing more then a harmless teen that wanted his 15. Nice way to find out he had no underlying medical conditions IMO.

And am also very sorry for those that found out to late they had some.

Don't taze me Bro.
:)

kaorder1999
05-06-2010, 01:38 PM
some of you have hit the nail on the head! OBEY THE LAW AND DONT RUN THE RISK OF BEING TASED!

Z motion 10 out on 2
05-06-2010, 01:42 PM

As a college professor, I can assure you that Amnisty International issues biased reports. I bet I could find bias in the methodology of their report should I be able to pull it up which the link did not work for me.

Z~

Z motion 10 out on 2
05-06-2010, 01:48 PM
This video shows what should be done in all cases like this:

Watch This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEguQ6PcDZs)

LE Dad
05-06-2010, 02:46 PM

Don't taze me Bro.
:) Stay off the field and stop when you are told!:D

IHStangFan
05-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Where do you come down on this? :

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/04/fan-tasered-after-jumping-onto-field-during-phillies-game/?hpt=C2

I'm sort of conflicted---on one hand the fence-jumper wasn't posing any danger to himself or others, but on the other, I can see where some of these idiots may now think twice about fence-jumping at athletic events. He may not have appeared to pose any threat...but there are rules/laws/regulations set in place for a reason, (ask any downlow mod ;) )whether it be in ball parks, or in society in general.....that's one of the things that's VERY wrong w/ this country. People have forgotten that there should be/are consequences for their actions. Instead, more times than not wrongful actions are justified and blame is shifted elsewhere rather than where it belongs. The idiot kid knew he wasn't supposed to be on the field, regardless of whether he meant it as a harmless prank or not. I think he got exactly what he deserved. :)

garciap77
05-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
He may not have appeared to pose any threat...but there are rules/laws/regulations set in place for a reason, (ask any downlow mod ;) )whether it be in ball parks, or in society in general.....that's one of the things that's VERY wrong w/ this country. People have forgotten that there should be/are consequences for their actions. Instead, more times than not wrongful actions are justified and blame is shifted elsewhere rather than where it belongs. The idiot kid knew he wasn't supposed to be on the field, regardless of whether he meant it as a harmless prank or not. I think he got exactly what he deserved. :)

:ditto:

BHBrave08
05-07-2010, 03:28 AM

But you could compare that to the number of Deaths from Legal Intervention from 1999-2006 which is actually shorter time. Taser looks pretty preferable if I am the one getting shot at.
Deaths from Legal Intervention with a Firearm - 2540 in the US

Just go here to this website http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_sy.html and all you have to change is the years to "1999-2006" and pick "Legal Intervention" and "Firearm"

bigwood33
05-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Did anyone notice that the very next night, also in Philadelphia, another fan ran onto then field? This time, they simply chased the guy until they caught him. No taser was used by the police. I would bet the the officer from the night before is on administrative leave and other officers, who might be working Phillies games, were given a stern talking to by their superiors.

Oh, by the way, it appears that the tasing was not much of a deterrent, was it.

ziggy29
05-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Did anyone notice that the very next night, also in Philadelphia, another fan ran onto then field? This time, they simply chased the guy until they caught him.
The irony is that it was probably some idiot in an ethanol-induced fog, thinking it might be cool to get tased.

LE Dad
05-07-2010, 10:23 AM
The irony is that it was probably some idiot in an ethanol-induced fog, thinking it might be cool to get tased. So you're implying that he was just a normal Philly fan.:p

:D