PDA

View Full Version : Shattered Lives Program

StangEm
05-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Anyone have this done at their school? It's supposed to demonstrate how every 15 minutes another person dies in America in an alcohol related accident.

Ranger Mom
05-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by StangEm
Anyone have this done at their school? It's supposed to demonstrate how every 15 minutes another person dies in America in an alcohol related accident.

We do it in Greenwood every year. I think they call it "Shattered Dreams" here!

It was being done while I was taking the kids to school one day...they had an ambulance in front of the school, two smashed up cars, kids on stretchers with blood all over them...I was FREAKING OUT!!

My kids then told me it was the Shattered Dreams program.

I really think they should have warned parents they were doing this.....I think I aged 10 years that day!!!:)

TheDOCTORdre
05-04-2010, 10:14 AM
They did it my Senior year in high school, I'm pretty sure it was the biggest waste of time ever. Everyone knew what ws going to happen ahead of time, and took it as a joke.

95mustang
05-04-2010, 12:31 PM
I have personally been involved in several Shattered Dreams programs during my career. It is a very good program. It effects the kids involved more then the entire student body, but I have seen some positive effects come from the program.

navscanmaster
05-04-2010, 04:04 PM
They used to read out a short obituary of the students taken every 15 minutes on the intercom. The kids this year that were involved were kept overnight at one of the churches, and were kept from talking to their friends or family until after the mock funerals.

BHBrave08
05-05-2010, 08:13 AM
4A Barbers Hill did it the 1st time about 4 or 5 years ago when I was a Junior or Senior in school. We do it every other year if I remember correctly. If I remember correctly the way that we did it was every 15 minutes they pulled a student that was involved in the program out of class and read a short obituary in front of the classroom with cause of death for the two who passed and for the others they announced what had happened (like the injured ones were in the hospital with whatever injuries). They also had the County Sheriff, who was closely involved with the coordination of the event, come in and arrest the student that was the "drunk driver" right out of class. They did this for about two hours (until they had all the students that had "been involved in the crash" out of class) then they went on to the actual crash-scene and then the funeral. I was a pall-bearer the year we did it for one of my best friends who had "died" in the crash. It was awful but amazing at the same time... His mom had to give a funeral speech along with the HS Principal and his favorite teacher. They went all out and had city ambulances, fire-trucks, police, life-flight landed in the parking lot and they even had a local funeral home come out and volunteer to let us borrow one of their cars and two coffins and coffin-carts for the two students that had "died".

ccmom
05-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Sadly, some dear friends of mine lost a child to an alcohol related accident. They have started a foundation in his memory, which provides grant money to schools for Shattered Dreams programs. The fathers of the two boys who were killed in the tragedy also go to schools to share their story with the students and address the dangers of drinking and driving. I have a link to their website if anyone is interesting in hosting a Shattered Dreams program at their school.