PDA

View Full Version : Gladewater coach resigns

Buckeye1980
04-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Smoaky.com learned Scott Callaway resigned on Wednesday as athletic director and head football coach at Gladewater High School to take a job as an assistant coach at Mesquite High School.

Callaway was 16-25 in four years with the Bears.

But the Whitehouse and SFA graduate told Smoaky.com, "This was a tough and difficult decision to make because I've had a tremendous amount of support from the superintendent, school, community and of course my staff and the student-athletes here in Gladewater," he continued, "But, I felt it was the right time to make a move and go back to a program where we experienced a lot of success in the 90's."

Callaway was an assistant coach at Mesquite from 1992-1999.

He was also 51-14 in five years at Big Sandy High School, including a semifinals appearance in 2004 followed by a championship game appearance in 2005

waterboy
04-29-2010, 12:42 PM
I read about that this morning. Sad situation for Gladewater. It's also kind of late in the year for his resignation. It makes it more difficult to find a replacement, and that replacement is at a big disadvantage by not getting to know the kids unless they hire from within.......which is what I suspect will happen. Another disadvantage is an upstart head coach will be under fire in his first year being in the same district with the likes of Gilmer, Carthage, Pittsburg, Henderson, and Spring Hill. That is one TOUGH district!

LE Dad
04-29-2010, 12:50 PM
I am sure that being in that district had alot to do with his decision. He was looking at 5th place in district for the next 2 years.

waterboy
04-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
I am sure that being in that district had alot to do with his decision. He was looking at 5th place in district for the next 2 years.
My guess would've been 6th with Spring Hill being much improved. Now, I'm pretty sure where they'll end up.

Eagle1
04-29-2010, 07:43 PM
We should start a poll about who would want to take the Gladewater job considering their district they are in.

bigwood33
04-29-2010, 07:45 PM
I'll bet they get well over 100 applicants...they won't have ANY trouble filling the position.

tdsteele
04-30-2010, 09:00 AM
I am sure they will get many applicants. I am also equally sure that should the next HC win 16 games in 4 years, that they would find that coach another "opportunity" as well. Trouble is, it is hard to find those wins in that new district.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-30-2010, 09:44 AM
The title made me think of this song every time I looked at it.

Black Water by the Doobie Brothers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE_9I3awuu0

Aesculus gilmus
04-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Gladewater has one of the best stadiums for a 3A school I've ever seen. It's about 25 years old, but it still looks to be an excellent facility.

It's amazing they never won state back in the glory days of Jack V. Murphy or maybe they did and I don't recall it.

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/simages/469.jpg

waterboy
04-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Gladewater has one of the best stadiums for a 3A school I've ever seen. It's about 25 years old, but it still looks to be an excellent facility.

It's amazing they never won state back in the glory days of Jack V. Murphy or maybe they did and I don't recall it.

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/simages/469.jpg
Nope. They never won a state title, but that '84 team they had should've. That was the year they missed that PAT and tied Daingerfield 27-27, a year after the Tigers had that historic '83 team, and Daingerfield advanced on first downs. I still say that if they would've won that game they would've won it all.....but we'll never really know.

LE Dad
04-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/simages/469.jpg It is a very nice stadium. I was very surprised when I saw it the first time. We played them at house in the first round in 05 I believe and not anyone showed up to support the kids. It was really sad. I admit it was very cold, but when the vistors bring more fans that does not inspire your kids.

I remember their old stadium. If you kicked a PAT you had to supply someone to stand in the street to field the ball.