PDA

View Full Version : disapointment with new AD

footballguru
04-28-2010, 07:10 AM
New AD meets with the kids for the first time and although he is the athletic director, he tells the kids that only play basketball or baseball to go somewhere else while he meets the football team and addresses only the football team. Several of the non-football players felt like they were not good enough to meet the new man. As a parent I hope this was a mistake by a young new AD and not a sign that sports besides football are not important.

MUSTANG69
04-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Hopefully this was just a slip up on his part. If not he probably will not be AD for long.

Johnny Utah
04-28-2010, 07:34 AM
Wow.

44INAROW
04-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Wow.

wow x2......... :doh: If it was a slip - that is a HUGE SLIP

PutMeInCoach
04-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by footballguru
New AD meets with the kids for the first time and although he is the athletic director, he tells the kids that only play basketball or baseball to go somewhere else while he meets the football team and addresses only the football team. Several of the non-football players felt like they were not good enough to meet the new man. As a parent I hope this was a mistake by a young new AD and not a sign that sports besides football are not important.

Wow! Wonder how he will treat the girl's program? :eek:

Footballhudini
04-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by PutMeInCoach
Wow! Wonder how he will treat the girl's program? :eek:

girls don't play football!

hookandladder
04-28-2010, 08:53 AM
I understand your disappointment with what happened, hopefully this is not what he beleives. I think this is one of those learning experiences about being an AD ,also any coach has to be carefull with what they say and do. It can be taken the wrong way and it seems like some might have taken it wrong, This is not the way you want to start off at your new school.

STANG RED
04-28-2010, 09:37 AM
I can understand an AD wanting to meet with just one sport individually. But he MIGHT have handled it the wrong way.
Was this his first meeting with the kids? If he had already meet with all of them previously, then wanted to just meet with the football team alone, I see nothing wrong with that at all.
What is the WHOLE story here??? We often jump to conclusions with only part of the story.

Oops, never mind. I just went back and read the initial post again. I see this is where this was his first meeting with the kids. Big mistake on his part, if this is true.

Pick6
04-28-2010, 09:47 AM
This sounds like the AD/HC in a 2A school in the North Texas area. Only thing is this one has been around coaching for many years.

3afan
04-28-2010, 09:51 AM
y'all are probably reading too much into this ... maybe what the AD had to talk about at that point in time affected only football and not the other sports? perhaps?

sounds like part of the story is missing ...

hookandladder
04-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
y'all are probably reading too much into this ... maybe what the AD had to talk about at that point in time affected only football and not the other sports? perhaps?

sounds like part of the story is missing ...

You hit the nail on the head, the talk was all about Football. However time will tell how a 5A or 4A coach adjust to being at a small school, meaning sharing athlete's during football offseason. I feel a good AD/HC needs to be able to work with other HC's in other sports to a successful AD.

playnhurt
04-28-2010, 10:53 AM
I've worked for a new man like that. I didn't think it was right but had to live with it.

XMan
04-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Sadly, there are lots of AD/HFCs that only want one sport to be successful. The worse the other sports do, the more everyone can concentrate on football. It is very sad when this happens. Luckily, there are also lots of great ad/hfcs.

Spaceman_Spiff
04-28-2010, 12:47 PM
1 - Call an emergency meeting with your School Board.

2 - Have the new guy reassigned to maintenance. His pride won't let him accept that job.

3 - While the Board is meeting, offer your #2 guy the job. He couldn't be worse for your school or community.

pancho villa
04-28-2010, 12:52 PM
What is wrong with what he did? He dosen't need to talk to the NA'S.

FOOTBALL IS KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marler1972
04-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by footballguru
Well I assume this is a small school and I am sure he is the head football coach also. I have never heard of a AD meeting with all the athletes, I am sure it was a Football team meeting and if you are not on the football team you did not need to be in there. IDK just a thought.

kaorder1999
04-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Is this AD also the Head Football Coach?

NastySlot
04-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by XMan
Sadly, there are lots of AD/HFCs that only want one sport to be successful. The worse the other sports do, the more everyone can concentrate on football. It is very sad when this happens. Luckily, there are also lots of great ad/hfcs.

sadly enough he will be on the hot seat for not winning in football before the community gets up in arms with losing in other sports.

also is this the whole story.......maybe he called a football meeting to address his new team.........if so he could have probably handled it different...maybe by telling other coaches to take the other sports while he addressed the football team.

XMan
04-28-2010, 09:14 PM
I agree with you 100% nasty, and that is why they sometimes dont support/want other sports to do well. Im my opinion, having the head of a sport also being the AD is a direct conflict of interest.

Ghostrider
04-30-2010, 10:18 AM
One thing any HC/AD in a small school has to recognize is that all sports need to be successful; not just football--the more all sports are successful the better the whole school situation becomes for everyone.:nerd:

Buckeye1980
04-30-2010, 01:08 PM
kinda reminds me of when I was a junior in HS , babseball season comes around and we did not start praticing for 2 weeks after the first date you could , and then only after we did a full track workout (longer and harder than the track team). First day of paractice , coach told us the ONLY reason he was coaching base ball was cause he had to . Our schedule consisted of 16 games ,2 non-district and 14 district games. We went 1-15 and the same group of kids later that summer went 18-1. What happened with the coach? NOTHING , he was the AD/HC's brother in law! I resent it to this day!

Additup
05-01-2010, 05:12 AM
New AD should meet with all the COACHES...coaches of kids specializing in only one sport can meet with kids. Probably trying to address football issues with football players.
If he had met with all athletes, it'd be spun as the new AD is stepping on the toes of current coaches of other sports.
My experience has been most coaches want kids playing multiple sports - daddys and agents want kids to specialize.

scrub c
05-01-2010, 11:28 AM
sorry... don't see a problem with what he did.

Not many HFB/AD's get fired for the baseball team having a couple of bad seasons...

And i bet it was more like, I only need to meet with the young men playing football.