PDA

View Full Version : Goliad...

playnhurt
04-27-2010, 09:34 AM
... closes this week. Anybody know who has applied and who the frontrunners might be?

CheerMom
04-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Heard Taylor from Hallettsville was a frontrunner....

onsideanytime
04-27-2010, 10:21 AM
why would you leave halletsville to go to goliad?

CheerMom
04-27-2010, 10:32 AM
I think that is his hometown.

sinton3055
04-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Coach taylor coached there in the mid 90's, He married one of my teachers in high school, Miss Hencerling or however you spell it. Thats if thats the same taylor yall talking about. She was from Goliad, maybe thats why IDK.

fumanchu
04-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Don't think he is leaving Hallettsville.

runtowin
04-27-2010, 01:39 PM
thought he left a few years ago.

tlc84
04-27-2010, 02:49 PM
he did and went to Victoria Memorial and I think went back to HB last year. HB lost their Head Football/AD also this year.

headhunter
04-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Kyle Taylor coached at Goliad in the 90's, he was the reason for the two good playoff runs in the mid 90's (94 & 95)

Since then he has been the HC at Halletsville and now is the OC at Victoria - Memorial. Victoria is splitting into two 4A high schools. He has applied for the Goliad job and will probably be a finalist. Taylor has family ties to the area and IMO probably wouldn't mind a challenge. Goliad is not a bad place to be at right now. Lots of kids have transfered to that area because of the Victoria School system being so messed up, also the recent oilfield boom in the area has allowed Goliad to have some of the nicest facilities and is able to pay their teachers and coaches fairly well.

It is absolutly amazing to read some of the posts on this board, I love the site and check it out periodicaly, but their is many of you who have no clue what you are posting and most of the comments are just hear-say and pieced together info.

44INAROW
04-27-2010, 03:22 PM
The new facilities at Goliad are top notch too!

Ranger Mom
04-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by headhunter

It is absolutly amazing to read some of the posts on this board, I love the site and check it out periodicaly, but their is many of you who have no clue what you are posting and most of the comments are just hear-say and pieced together info.

I have to admit I laughed when I read this! What you say may be true, but if you are going to chastise us, you might wanna do with correct spelling and grammar.....it would be easier to take you seriously......SERIOUSLY!!!!:hand: :hand: :D :D :p

CheerMom
04-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Taylor came back to Hallettsville last season. Thought he would be the obvious to take back over, but have heard from inside sources that he didn't apply for the HC job. Heard from more than one source that he is going to Goliad. I guess time will tell.

AP Panther Fan
04-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

Did they get a new football stadium? The concession stand and restrooms were nice, but the field needed work (lots of it).

I like Goliad and enjoy visiting their Market Days occasionally.

SintonPirateFan
04-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

hope their gym has improved since 94....it was terrible.

Blue42
04-27-2010, 06:28 PM
A lot of Colleges would be envious of Goliad's new gym. Its fantastic with an indoor second floor track.

SintonPirateFan
04-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Blue42
A lot of Colleges would be envious of Goliad's new gym. Its fantastic with an indoor second floor track.

awesome. that's even better to hear since they are in our district next year!

rockmoor
04-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Kyle Taylor coached at Goliad in the 90's, he was the reason for the two good playoff runs in the mid 90's (94 & 95)

Since then he has been the HC at Halletsville and now is the OC at Victoria - Memorial. Victoria is splitting into two 4A high schools. He has applied for the Goliad job and will probably be a finalist. Taylor has family ties to the area and IMO probably wouldn't mind a challenge. Goliad is not a bad place to be at right now. Lots of kids have transfered to that area because of the Victoria School system being so messed up, also the recent oilfield boom in the area has allowed Goliad to have some of the nicest facilities and is able to pay their teachers and coaches fairly well.

I couldn't have said it any better headhunter. Maybe take some of your own advice and realize Taylor has been back at Hallettsville for a year now. LMAO.

44INAROW
04-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by SintonPirateFan
hope their gym has improved since 94....it was terrible.

it's brand new - I haven't seen it but I hear it's really nice - has an indoor track too I think..

APPF not sure about the stadium but for some reason I am thinking it is.

Green Bling
04-27-2010, 10:36 PM
I believe they improved and added seating.

GT Fan
04-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Goliad Events Center (http://www.goliadisd.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=987&Itemid=122)

Check this link to see pictures of the New Gym.

SintonPirateFan
04-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by GT Fan
Goliad Events Center (http://www.goliadisd.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=987&Itemid=122)

Check this link to see pictures of the New Gym.

wow that's some kinda improvement since the last time i was in their gym.....wooden pull out bleachers and the teams' benches were on the first row!

playnhurt
04-28-2010, 09:47 AM
I've heard the training room has a whirlpool in it that has an underwater treadmill like the NFL teams use.

Green Bling
04-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Congrats to Goliad on a fab facility!! This might be one of the best in 2A!!

MUSTANG69
04-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Green Bling
Congrats to Goliad on a fab facility!! This might be one of the best in 2A!!

I think Goliad is 3A:thinking:

playnhurt
04-28-2010, 01:49 PM
They are!

Green Bling
04-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Sorry, typo.:doh: I vow to proofread in the futuer!:D

44INAROW
04-28-2010, 03:17 PM

ROFL. nicely done Green Bling :)

MUSTANG69
04-28-2010, 04:19 PM

I was just picking on you. I knew Goliad was 3A. They will be in the same district as Ingleside.:D :D

Green Bling
04-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
I was just picking on you. I knew Goliad was 3A. They will be in the same district as Ingleside.:D :D
Yeah, we just lost them out of our district. It's always weird when the next town over is in a different district!

playnhurt
04-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Apps closed yesterday, going to be interesting on who gets this one.

If you are in the know, keep us posted!

JABGAC
04-30-2010, 07:31 PM

Speaking of no clue headhunter, you aren't very informed either! Taylor has been back in Hallettsville for a year, not Victoria. Get your facts right Mr. know-it-all headhunter!

crabman
04-30-2010, 08:48 PM
I wonder who built that fabulous facility?????? HMMMMM.

I will post some completed pictures of it tomorrow. I got some cool exterior shots at night and some pretty good interiors too.

Any of you folks on a school board or in administration, give me a PM.

44INAROW
04-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by crabman
I wonder who built that fabulous facility?????? HMMMMM.

I will post some completed pictures of it tomorrow. I got some cool exterior shots at night and some pretty good interiors too.

Any of you folks on a school board or in administration, give me a PM.
I wondered when you were going to find this thread :D :D

44INAROW
05-05-2010, 09:48 AM
.Goliad names head football coach

Mark Cunningham File Coaching experience: 29 years

Current position: China Spring defensive coordinator

Head coaching positions: Alvarado, Pittsburg, Glen Rose, White Settlement

Mark Cunningham was a candidate to become the head football coach at Goliad when Kyle Taylor got the job in 1994.

Cunningham, who has been the defensive coordinator at China Spring, didn't miss out on his second chance at the Goliad job.

Cunningham was named the head football coach at Goliad by a unanimous vote of the school district's board of trustees on Tuesday night.

Cunningham was selected from a group of four finalists that were interviewed on Monday night by board members, interim superintendent Buddy Young, incoming superintendent Debbie Paulsgrove and former NFL coach Bum Phillips.

The finalists ironically included Taylor, who is currently the offensive coordinator at Hallettsville.

The other finalists were St. Joseph athletic director and head football coach John Mares and Alice defensive coordinator Stephen Silva.

"It's a great opportunity," Cunningham said. "The community is obviously totally behind the program. They have unbelievable facilities so you can tell they care. This is an opportunity to move into something special."

Cunningham has been a head football coach at Alvarado, Pittsburg, White Settlement and Glen Rose.

He began his 29-year coaching career as an assistant under Ross Rogers at Giddings and A&M Consolidated.

Young said Cunningham received a two-year contract and will start work on Thursday.

Cunningham will replace Greg Althof, who resigned as head football coach last month.

Althof will continue as athletic director until the end of his contract or until he finds another position at which time Cunningham will become athletic director.

"The first thing I want to do is get to know the teachers, the students, the athletes and the parents," Cunningham said. "We're going to talk about academics and not just athletics. Athletics are not the only way to get to college."

Goliad had a 1-9 record last season and went 0-5 in District 28-3A.

The Tigers will compete in District 30-3A in the upcoming season against Aransas Pass, Ingleside, Mathis, Rockport-Fulton and Sinton.
http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2010/may/04/mf_goliadcoach_050510_95255/?sports&local-sports