PDA

View Full Version : Vacation

pancho villa
04-26-2010, 09:14 AM
We are going to travel around Texas this summer and eat at the cool places we have seen on the food network and the travel channel. Anyone have some good places to recomend? (NO CHAINS) A few places we want to go are 1. doughnut place in Roundrock 2. A million to Juan in Austin 3. Puffy tacos in San Antonio

Also anyone know the names of the puffy taco place and the doughnut place?

NastySlot
04-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
We are going to travel around Texas this summer and eat at the cool places we have seen on the food network and the travel channel. Anyone have some good places to recomend? (NO CHAINS) A few places we want to go are 1. doughnut place in Roundrock 2. A million to Juan in Austin 3. Puffy tacos in San Antonio

i do know of a place called 'Juan in Million" Austin.

Do the places just have to have been on foot net or travel channel to qualify?

shs06
04-26-2010, 09:21 AM
I saw something on the food channel once about a place in Snook, TX that has chicken fried bacon.

FbCoachB40
04-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Love Creek Orchards Cider Mill in Medina, TX.

Good food, but known for their apple pie and apple pie soft serve ice cream.

The apple pie has been rated #1 by southern living mag.

The pie has 4 pounds of apples put in each one

NastySlot
04-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls has great pie also.

LH_Tuff
04-26-2010, 09:28 AM

The donut place is 'Round Rock Donuts'. Pretty darn good. :)

44INAROW
04-26-2010, 09:30 AM

those would be on my list too.. The Food Channel story on Round Rock Donuts was excellent. I've always wanted to check out that Steak Place- maybe in Amarillo - that is WAY AWAY but it is in Texas :) What about the original Salt Lick in Driftwood?

onsideanytime
04-26-2010, 09:45 AM
pancho- stop in rosenberg and start your vacation off at Bobs taco, they were on food net a couple months ago

44INAROW
04-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by onsideanytime
pancho- stop in rosenberg and start your vacation off at Bobs taco, they were on food net a couple months ago

I saw that one too..... I watch way too much Food Network :) Love me some Triple D

pancho villa
04-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
i do know of a place called 'Juan in Million" Austin.

Do the places just have to have been on foot net or travel channel to qualify?

No just good places

Bullaholic
04-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Gil's Broiler
San Marcos, TX

Order a Manske Roll--a fantastic home-made cinnamon roll.

pancho villa
04-26-2010, 09:50 AM
I have been to Bob's taco in Rosenberg-awsome
I have also eaten the 72oz steak at Big Texas steak house in Amarillo

pancho villa
04-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Gil's Broiler
San Marcos, TX

yummy

Bullaholic
04-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Pick out the Texas locations on the following list, Pancho...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/guys-diners-drive-ins-and-dives/index.html

PPSTATEBOUND
04-26-2010, 10:16 AM
The DQ in Pilot Point serves up some mean tacos.:)

OnceABucJr
04-26-2010, 10:23 AM
I saw something on the food channel once about a place in Snook, TX that has chicken fried bacon.

That would be Sodolak's in Snook. Try their "Extra Small Sirloin Steak" (16 oz.!) $11.95

garciap77
04-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
The DQ in Pilot Point serves up some mean tacos.:)

PPSTATEBOUND needs to get out more...:D

:p

;)

garciap77
04-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Allen Family Style Meals
1301 East Broadway Street, Sweetwater, TX 79556-4721
(325) 235-2060

It's great!!!!!:)

sooner4life
04-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Jamaica Gates in Arlington. Good 'n' Spicy Carribean food!

Gobbler Fan
04-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Star Light Theater*an actual working theatre*in Terlingua...we caught a show during our trip last year during dinner . Thats if you want atmosphere to add to the ho hum everyday meal . Try to catch a dinner in the evening and watch the sun set behind the Chisos Mountains as you wait to be seated ...the food is pretty good and throw in a couple cold alcoholic beverages then your set... :D

LE Dad
04-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
PPSTATEBOUND needs to get out more...:D

:p

;) :clap: :clap:

:D

lakers
04-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Perini Ranch Steakhouse

Buffalo Gap, Tx

They have awesome steaks and even better hamburgers, but make sure to RSVP before you go though.

The steakhouse isn't just a favorite for locals. Tom's unique style of cooking coupled with his natural Texas demeanor has gained him national and international attention. Tom was named as one of the "24 Reasons Why We Love Texas" by Saveur (June/July 2009) and the destination steakhouse was listed by Texas Monthly as the third best steakhouse in Texas (December 2007). Perini Ranch Steakhouse was also featured in Everyday with Rachael Ray "The Search for the Great Amerian Steakhouse" (March 2009), with numerous listings and features in Texas Highways, Cowboys and Indians, and Southern Living, to name a few.

But steaks aren't the only thing Perini has perfected. Food Network Magazine (June 2009) named Perini's hamburgers the best in Texas. In July 2009, Perini appeared on TODAY to cook is acclaimed burger live on the plaza in a head to head burger challenge. His "Ranch Burger" was unanimously the favorite! In addition to TODAY, Tom has appeared twice on CBS' Early Show and also on Good Morning America. He has also appeared on The Outdoor Channel, The Food Network, and Fox News show, "Fox and Friends."
http://www.periniranch.com/

STANG RED
04-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by lakers
Perini Ranch Steakhouse

Buffalo Gap, Tx

They have awesome steaks and even better hamburgers, but make sure to RSVP before you go though.

The steakhouse isn't just a favorite for locals. Tom's unique style of cooking coupled with his natural Texas demeanor has gained him national and international attention. Tom was named as one of the "24 Reasons Why We Love Texas" by Saveur (June/July 2009) and the destination steakhouse was listed by Texas Monthly as the third best steakhouse in Texas (December 2007). Perini Ranch Steakhouse was also featured in Everyday with Rachael Ray "The Search for the Great Amerian Steakhouse" (March 2009), with numerous listings and features in Texas Highways, Cowboys and Indians, and Southern Living, to name a few.

But steaks aren't the only thing Perini has perfected. Food Network Magazine (June 2009) named Perini's hamburgers the best in Texas. In July 2009, Perini appeared on TODAY to cook is acclaimed burger live on the plaza in a head to head burger challenge. His "Ranch Burger" was unanimously the favorite! In addition to TODAY, Tom has appeared twice on CBS' Early Show and also on Good Morning America. He has also appeared on The Outdoor Channel, The Food Network, and Fox News show, "Fox and Friends."
http://www.periniranch.com/

I'll second Perini Ranch for steaks, or really for anything on their menu. The burgers are awesome!
Have lunch at Allens in Sweetwater, then supper at Perini's later that evening. It'll be the best day of eating you ever had Pancho.

sinton66
04-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Try the Country Inn in Somerville. You won't be disappointed. Good steaks.

jdawg2012
04-26-2010, 11:03 PM
If you go anywhere near Woodville, you have to stop at Naomi's. It's a little roadside Mexican restaurant. Seriously, they have the best Quesadillas* I have ever had. It's on Magnolia St. off of Hwy 190.

*-If I spelled that wrong, forgive me.

1st and goal
04-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Cathy's seafood in Port O'Connor. All you can eat shrimp, oysters.

1st and goal
04-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Try the Country Inn in Somerville. You won't be disappointed. Good steaks.

Just don't look down at what used to be indoor/outdoor carpet. Looks more like 30lb roofing felt tarpaper as of last summer....

fumanchu
04-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Saw something the other night about Magnolia's South Cafe in Austin. It looked like it had some pretty good food.

BaseballUmp
04-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Gil's Broiler
San Marcos, TX

Haha my mom saw something about this on Texas Reporters a few weeks ago and tolod me to bring some when I go home this weekend lol