PDA

View Full Version : Any of yall own a Harley?

kaorder1999
04-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Im looking at them. I really want one but cant decide if I want to go the Harley route or the cheaper route with a Yamaha Roadstar or a Honda VTX...

Pick6
04-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Im looking at them. I really want one but cant decide if I want to go the Harley route or the cheaper route with a Yamaha Roadstar or a Honda VTX...

Just remember what HD stands for, another Hundred Dollars.

If you're looking for image go HD. If you want value for your Dollar go Yamaha or Honda.

44INAROW
04-23-2010, 10:02 AM
I don't own a MC but I do write the insurance for alot of them and I'd say 60% of the bike business I write is for Harleys and the others are 20/20 Honda and Yamaha. We've been seeing alot of guys fixing up (restoring) the older bikes and majority of the time, they are restoring Harleys. The younger guys are "into" the Ninja type bikes - if the drivers are under 30 years old, they pay more for the insurance than the bike payment if they get a Ninja :eek: Oh, until a while ago, I had no idea BMW made motorcyles.. Girl question: Are the BMW MCs more expensive than other types - cause they are BMW? I mean is it a status thing or are they supposed to be really good bikes? just asking, I have no idea about these things, but I've been wondering about that:p

big daddy russ
04-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Old Green owns one. He's a wealth of knowledge on this stuff.

My two cents... I think Harleys just look better. I think most people do. More metal, more chrome, more detail than the Japanese bikes. Also more money... and you can always pay to customize and upgrade the foreign bikes.

Harleys just have those stronger lines and reliability is almost a non-issue these days (it wasn't always like that). A lot of it depends on what you want in a bike (a touring bike, a faster cruiser, something sporty that can handle--similar to the old cafe racers, etc, etc).

If you're looking for something for long trips, you definitely want to sink some money in it. I'd just try each bike out. Go look at the Harley Softtail line and Road Kings, then take a look at the bigger V Stars, then look at the VTX and Goldwings.

It's all personal preference, though. Go and check them out, see how they feel. I'll tell you this, there's nothing like the feel of riding a bike.

kaorder1999
04-23-2010, 12:01 PM
i LOVE the sound of most Harley's. There are a lot of people with big VTX's that say they sound a lot like the Harley's but I just dont know. I REALLY like the cheaper prices of the VTX 1300 and 1800's. The bigger VStars are too small for me. If I were to get a Yamaha it would have to be the Roadstar. THey are big enough.

I reallyjust want something to cruise around town and to the lake. Not much Highway time at all. Im not one that likes to get on a bike and drive a few hours. Maybe once or twice but not often!

DECISIONS DECISIONS DECISIONS!

turbostud
04-23-2010, 12:28 PM
I used to own a 77 IronHead Sportster and a 95 Dyna Wide Glide when I lived in Florida. Moved back to Tx, got married, and sold them to buy a house. I went to Daytona Bike Week, Key West Poker Run, and BiketoberFest a few times and Sturgis twice. It was very fun while it lasted.

big daddy russ
04-23-2010, 01:08 PM
i LOVE the sound of most Harley's. There are a lot of people with big VTX's that say they sound a lot like the Harley's but I just dont know. I REALLY like the cheaper prices of the VTX 1300 and 1800's. The bigger VStars are too small for me. If I were to get a Yamaha it would have to be the Roadstar. THey are big enough.

I reallyjust want something to cruise around town and to the lake. Not much Highway time at all. Im not one that likes to get on a bike and drive a few hours. Maybe once or twice but not often!

DECISIONS DECISIONS DECISIONS!
You're right. The Japs have tried to reproduce that sound, but they can't. Even with pipes.

I'm a Harley guy. I love them. Always wanted either a Road King Classic, a Wide Glide or a Deuce (RIP). And no other company's been able to successfully imitate the classic looks and the sound of a Harley.

On that note, I know you can get a Superglide in the $12k-range, a Wide Glide in the $14k-range, or you could move up to the Softail line for another couple thousand. That Dyna would bring you in right around the Honda prices, or for a couple thousand extra you could have a Wide Glide.

big daddy russ
04-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
I used to own a 77 IronHead Sportster and a 95 Dyna Wide Glide when I lived in Florida. Moved back to Tx, got married, and sold them to buy a house. I went to Daytona Bike Week, Key West Poker Run, and BiketoberFest a few times and Sturgis twice. It was very fun while it lasted.
Man, those are some nice bikes. Have any pictures?

PPSTATEBOUND
04-23-2010, 01:10 PM
After breaking every major bone in my body and being in not one car accident....I stay away from the Motorcycles....

Buy a Harley..they do sound better.

turbostud
04-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Man, those are some nice bikes. Have any pictures?
Yea I'll see if I can dig'em out and scan them.

Tx Challenge
04-23-2010, 01:21 PM
I have owned a Fatboy and then a Heritage Softail Classic. Loved both of them. Be prepared to spend lots of money with custom options! Every Harley owner wants their different than the next guy...

Ranger Mom
04-23-2010, 01:21 PM
My daughter in law collided side to side with a Harley a few weeks ago.....her fault.

I still can't get past the fact that the guy riding the Harley suffers from Parkinson's Disease.....she thought he was going into convulsions!!!

turbostud
04-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
I have owned a Fatboy and then a Heritage Softail Classic. Loved both of them. Be prepared to spend lots of money with custom options! Every Harley owner wants their different than the next guy...

If you want a custom Harley dont buy a new one. The older ones are made for customization and no where near expensive, and there arent very many older ones left.

big daddy russ
04-23-2010, 01:24 PM
KA, just buy a Harley. Just do it.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Harley's have the worst ride out of any of the bikes though. But if you're not going to ride for very long then it probably won't matter much anyways.

DDBooger
04-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Get a vespa lol

kaorder1999
04-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Get a vespa lol

lol....id look like a bear on a tricycle

Old Green
04-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Old Green owns one. He's a wealth of knowledge on this stuff.

My two cents... I think Harleys just look better. I think most people do. More metal, more chrome, more detail than the Japanese bikes. Also more money... and you can always pay to customize and upgrade the foreign bikes.

Harleys just have those stronger lines and reliability is almost a non-issue these days (it wasn't always like that). A lot of it depends on what you want in a bike (a touring bike, a faster cruiser, something sporty that can handle--similar to the old cafe racers, etc, etc).

If you're looking for something for long trips, you definitely want to sink some money in it. I'd just try each bike out. Go look at the Harley Softtail line and Road Kings, then take a look at the bigger V Stars, then look at the VTX and Goldwings.

It's all personal preference, though. Go and check them out, see how they feel. I'll tell you this, there's nothing like the feel of riding a bike. At one point , I had three Harley's in the garage. A 1977 Ironhead Sportster which I have owned 33 years, 1995 Softail Custom, and a 2005 Ultra Classic touring Bike fully decked out with all the top of the line option that you can get with it.

Older Harley's are great bikes to own, but only if you have the mechanical skils to service and maintain them while own the road. If you're not that savvy on how Harley engine and electrics operate, then buy 1 starting with the 1988 year models. The reason why I say that is because the Evolution motor That was used on all big twin bikes from 1985 to 1999 had design faults and growing pains. By 1988 all the problems had been eliminated and it became Harley's most reliable engine. This engine allowed you the Freedom of just getting on and riding with no problems just like a Honda. Engine size is 80 Cubic inches (1340 CC).

My 2005 Ultra Classic has the new Twin Cam Motor that produces a lot more horsepower, but is just as reliable as the Previous made Evolution motor. It too had design proplems that are very simple to fix and most have been fixed. The flaw was a $.75 bolt that holds the cams on the shaft. Most were fixed under warranty by the Dealers. By 2001 this problem had been eliminated. Engine size 88" to 96" (1450 CC To 1550 CC). For Extra money you can Upgrade the engines all the way to 110 ".

My 2005 UC has a lot of options . Only Engine mods are Stage 1 Upgrade for about 10 extra horsepower and the elimination of the stock exhaust. This will keep you from cooking your lright leg in stop and go traffic. The twin cam motor is designed to operate up to 260 degrees compared to around 215 degrees for the Evolution engine.

If you want a fast Harley Then try the New V-Rod series or one of the discontinued Harley Buell Sportsters with and upgraded 1200 CC Motor. The V-Rod has a 1140 cc engine design by Porsche of Germany that is very fast and watercooled.

Honda, Yamaha, and others will never have the sound of a Harley because of the engine design and patent rights. Harley engines are set at 45 degree angle and operate on a single crank pin which give it it's unique sound and low speed performance. the other brands engines ore offset using a different crank.

Harley's engine disign is antigue and limits it high speed performance compared to Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki. It's almost at it's design limitations also. That's why Harley went to Porsche for the design of their new engine.

When it comes down to choice of bikes, it's all up to the individual. One thing to remember is Harley's hold the value a lot better and you can almost get your money back on them. I sold my 1995 Softail in 2006 for for $11.000.00. I only paid $13,000.00 for it.

Go to Harley Davidson Website and build your bike before buying. You can start with 883 cc Sportsters for around $8,000.00 all the way up to $60,000.00 works of art.

sinton66
04-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Yep, the years AMF owned them were grim for Harleys.

Old Green
04-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Yep, the years AMF owned them were grim for Harleys. Yep ! My 1977 Sportster is an AMF Harley. Had a lot of trouble with it.

sinton66
04-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Yep ! My 1977 Sportster is an AMF Harley. Had a lot of trouble with it.
Had a buddy with a '77 sportster and he modified it with an earlier souped up hog engine. Actually made a drag bike out of it.

kaorder1999
04-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Heres the one i REALLY want!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/kaorder1999/fatboy3.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/kaorder1999/fatboy.jpg

sinton66
04-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Nice. I wouldn't get on one now to win a $1000.00 bet, but I've always liked them.

SintonPirateFan
04-25-2010, 11:28 PM
i had a 100th anniversary Super Glide. loved it....but then got shipped off to Okinawa so i sold it.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-26-2010, 02:28 AM
The Harley Night Rod is just awesome. The only Harley I would ever want.

Old Green
04-26-2010, 05:06 AM

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/kaorder1999/fatboy.jpg Nice looking Softtail Fat Boy There. I see it already has Some engine mods. Looks like it may have been upgraded to a Stage 2. Those exhuast pipes sell for around $900.00. A friend of mine put the same ones on his 2008 Softail Night Train. Ask the dealer what stage upgrade it has and find out who did the upgrades. Anytime you have a upgrade above a stage 3, I've noticed the bikes aren't as reliable for serious long distance tour riding. That's just my opinion and what I've noticed with some of the guy's I ride with.

Old Green
04-26-2010, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
The Harley Night Rod is just awesome. The only Harley I would ever want. The new V-Rod Porsche engines are Great. Harley had it designed for the younger riders who wanted high engine performance to keep up with the Metric Bikes. You can't go wrong with this model.

Old Green
04-26-2010, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I don't own a MC but I do write the insurance for alot of them and I'd say 60% of the bike business I write is for Harleys and the others are 20/20 Honda and Yamaha. We've been seeing alot of guys fixing up (restoring) the older bikes and majority of the time, they are restoring Harleys. The younger guys are "into" the Ninja type bikes - if the drivers are under 30 years old, they pay more for the insurance than the bike payment if they get a Ninja :eek: Oh, until a while ago, I had no idea BMW made motorcyles.. Girl question: Are the BMW MCs more expensive than other types - cause they are BMW? I mean is it a status thing or are they supposed to be really good bikes? just asking, I have no idea about these things, but I've been wondering about that:p The BMW's are competively priced with Harley and have about the same problem as Harley(Old Engine Design). BMW's engines are opposed twin cylinders and are only in up to 1200 CC. Very reliable engine with lots of power for the size.

MamaBull
04-26-2010, 08:32 AM
ive been looking at the vtx 1300c. slick bike.

Pick6
04-26-2010, 08:36 AM

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/kaorder1999/fatboy.jpg

Spent a weekend in the hill country on one of these, never again. They are nice for short rides, uncomfortable on long ones.

jason
04-26-2010, 08:40 AM
buddy of mine won a brand new harley fat-boy in a raffle...paid $20 for 1 ticket and won it...

he listed it on craigslist and had it sold in 6 hours - got $15,000 for it....

kaorder1999
04-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by MamaBull
ive been looking at the vtx 1300c. slick bike.

I found an AWESOME VTX 1300. Cant decide what i want to do!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-26-2010, 11:34 AM
I found an AWESOME VTX 1300. Cant decide what i want to do!

My dad has a Honda Valkyrie. It's pretty sick. More power than you would know what to do with, and you can run it at 120mph for however long you can hang onto it. So far it has over 50k miles and has had nothing done to it aside from tire and oil changes. He hit a deer on it and drove right through the deer, almost splitting it in half; pulled over on the side of the road and called me to get the trailer and come pick him up.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-26-2010, 11:40 AM
This is my dream bike:
Honda Valkyrie Rune
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/4929.jpg

kaorder1999
04-26-2010, 11:42 AM
that is a Rune? I thought they only made them in 2004. That doesnt even look like one

Pick6
04-26-2010, 11:47 AM
My dad has a Honda Valkyrie. It's pretty sick. More power than you would know what to do with, and you can run it at 120mph for however long you can hang onto it.

Can't go wrong with a Valkyrie. Harley needs to start with water coolings. After seeing bikes overheat at Austin I'll never buy anything that's not water cooled.

DDBooger
04-26-2010, 11:47 AM
This is my dream bike:
Honda Valkyrie Rune
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/4929.jpg this is something Techno-Viking would ride! :clap:

Awesome

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-26-2010, 11:52 AM
that is a Rune? I thought they only made them in 2004. That doesnt even look like one

I copied and pasted the wrong link. But that bike, whatever it is, is badass.

Valkyrie Rune, for real:

http://moto.by/articles/image/honda_valkyrie_rune/honda_valkyrie_rune_3.jpg

kaorder1999
04-26-2010, 11:55 AM
yeah it is...i thought...holy crap...they made a new Rune!! lol

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-26-2010, 12:21 PM
yeah it is...i thought...holy crap...they made a new Rune!! lol

Valkyries have a V6, the one I posted obviously doesn't haha.

kaorder1999
04-26-2010, 12:28 PM
those 2004 Runes are hard to find. They are pretty dang rare! There is NEVER one on Craiglist...at least not close to me!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-26-2010, 01:22 PM
those 2004 Runes are hard to find. They are pretty dang rare! There is NEVER one on Craiglist...at least not close to me!

Yeah, and they're in the $20k price range too when you do see them. I'd go with a Night Rod if it were me, those are some mean bikes. A friend of mine had one and I took it for a ride once. I can't claim to know how it does on a long ride but it was pretty comfortable when I did ride it. I'm more of a fan of crotch rockets to be honest though, so comfort really isn't as much of an interest to me as speed haha.

kaorder1999
04-26-2010, 01:24 PM
im the opposite..no crotch rocket wanted! lol

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-26-2010, 01:26 PM
im the opposite..no crotch rocket wanted! lol

I like sportier cruisers, but I'm a speed freak at heart.

Old Green
04-26-2010, 08:14 PM
those 2004 Runes are hard to find. They are pretty dang rare! There is NEVER one on Craiglist...at least not close to me! A month ago I stopped at Dales Sport Center on Hwy 77 in Victoria. They have a new 2004 Rune for sale sitting in the showroom $36,000.00 dollars.

IHStangFan
04-26-2010, 09:28 PM
I've never been a huge Harley fan....but they are building decent machines these days.

If I were going to buy a cruiser....I'd have to give serious consideration to the Victory motorcycles....

I really like the Hammer 8-Ball

nationalpastime
04-27-2010, 09:53 AM
i've had a yamaha virago and a currently have a harley sportster. i would say hands down i love the harley more. it handles better and sits better than the yamaha did.

IHStangFan
04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Are you an outdoorsy kinda guy? Do you have kids? If so there is no substitute for a Russian Ural.

Ural Motorcycles North America Division (http://www.imz-ural.com/)

Blue42
04-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm a big guy and owned a 1800 vtx up until a year ago its a lot of bike if you want to do back roads like I did, I would not suggest getting it, not that its a bad bike just a lot to handle, like to have lost it more than once on loose gravel. I am sizing down to the XR 650 Honda great bike for off and on road and you can pick them up used for about $3000 to $4000. I have learned over the years If your a looker like me and the bike is going to stay in the garage more than on the road just get something practical. But if your a rider that means at least 2 to 3 times a week get a Harley made in the good old USA.