PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow's religious beliefs could be "divisive on the field"

turbostud
04-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AodKlA.ymqc7kPMSk1.a36o5nYcB?slug=lc-tebow042110)

Some tough words from some NFL execs....

"I don’t want any part of him or the circus,” one AFC front office executive told Yahoo! Sports’ Michael Silver recently. “At some point as a team, don’t you have to be concerned with what comes with him? The guy has never met a microphone he didn’t like and he’s obviously got a message. I think he needs to go away and hide for awhile.”

Keith7
04-21-2010, 08:15 PM
wow this is dumb :doh:

BaseballUmp
04-21-2010, 08:29 PM
I dont see how any religious beliefs affect any on-field play...how does being a devoted Christian make you a bad player?

TheDOCTORdre
04-21-2010, 09:52 PM
what I dont get is McCoy is just as devout of a Christian, so how come he isnt going to be "divisive on the field"

SintonFan
04-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
what I dont get is McCoy is just as devout of a Christian, so how come he isnt going to be "divisive on the field"

He's from Texas.:nerd:

Trashman
04-21-2010, 10:57 PM
McCoy dosen't wear his faith on his shirt sleeve.....

DDBooger
04-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
McCoy dosen't wear his faith on his shirt sleeve..... Precisely, but not just that, I think it has more to do with Tebow's rah rah style of leadership. It's awesome in college, but he'll be real unpopular in the pros if he tries that. I guess that's why some like the college game better.

Spread It Out
04-22-2010, 12:06 AM
McCoy had "I Am Second" commercials being aired every single day before the national championship, don't try to say he doesn't wear it on his sleeve. People are sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for a Tebow fallout ala Tiger Woods. It's ridiculous that people try this hard to bring somebody down.

Keith7
04-22-2010, 12:30 AM
Do you guys think Tebow is going to be preaching in the huddle or something?? Seriously, his beliefs have no bearing on how good he'll be in the NFL.. As for his "rah-rah" style, I see Drew Brees and his copycat wannabe keith brooking do that crap every week and get praised for it..

garciap77
04-22-2010, 07:51 AM
The AFC front office executive should be more concern about drug addicts and rapist!

themsu97
04-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Tebow is a different religion than McCoy... Tebow's parents were/are missionaries and he is taught to be a strong witness for his faith and to profess his beliefs openly...

what is the difference between Tebow and Charles Barkley? both say what they are thinking...

Colt is not as charismatic off the field... but both have strong convictions, as does Sam Bradford... who was also in the I am Second video...

DDBooger
04-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
Do you guys think Tebow is going to be preaching in the huddle or something?? Seriously, his beliefs have no bearing on how good he'll be in the NFL.. As for his "rah-rah" style, I see Drew Brees and his copycat wannabe keith brooking do that crap every week and get praised for it.. Brees has earned it. Perhaps they're afraid he'll start that up immediately.

Gobbler Fan
04-22-2010, 08:04 AM
With Colts accent his teammates wouldnt understand him anyway if he did decide to preach in the huddle .

According to Jon Gruden of course :D

BullsFan
04-22-2010, 08:06 AM
I don't think it's the religion so much as it is the "never met a microphone he doesn't like" part. He's much more of a showboater about his religious beliefs than the other QBs who've been mentioned. And while being a showboater about your religious beliefs is in many ways a very admirable quality, it may not be what you want in the guy who is supposed to be helping the guys in the locker room meld into a single-minded team.

Farmersfan
04-22-2010, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by BullsFan
I don't think it's the religion so much as it is the "never met a microphone he doesn't like" part. He's much more of a showboater about his religious beliefs than the other QBs who've been mentioned. And while being a showboater about your religious beliefs is in many ways a very admirable quality, it may not be what you want in the guy who is supposed to be helping the guys in the locker room meld into a single-minded team.

It is also a big concern that the higher up on the pedestal someone is placed the farther they will fall when they finally do fall. And make no mistake about it, The Tebow House of Cards will eventually fall. Would you want to hold a huge contract with him when it happens?
( I ionly hope it's just normal "Man" stuff and not devil worship or transvestite stuff) :D :D

gatordaze
04-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
It is also a big concern that the higher up on the pedestal someone is placed the farther they will fall when they finally do fall. And make no mistake about it, The Tebow House of Cards will eventually fall. Would you want to hold a huge contract with him when it happens?
( I ionly hope it's just normal "Man" stuff and not devil worship or transvestite stuff) :D :D

That is pretty cynical. What you seem to be saying is that there are no truly good people in the world that are incorruptable by fortune and fame. I hope that you are wrong. I wonder had he been on your team would you think the same?

Txbroadcaster
04-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
That is pretty cynical. What you seem to be saying is that there are no truly good people in the world that are incorruptable by fortune and fame. I hope that you are wrong. I wonder had he been on your team would you think the same?

No I think what he is saying is he will fall because no man is perfect and ANY and I mean ANY little thing about Tebow will be blown up into something alot bigger than it is.

DDBooger
04-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
No I think what he is saying is he will fall because no man is perfect and ANY and I mean ANY little thing about Tebow will be blown up into something alot bigger than it is. Which is logical. Wait till he drops his first F-bomb! haha

Farmersfan
04-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze

Not cynical at all gator! I support Tebow completely and hope he has a great career in the NFL. But let's face it, we all have been force-fed Tebow propaganda for several years now and even the smallest normal human mistake will get ripped to shreads by the media and fans. What Tiger did was not such a terrible thing in comparison to worldly ills but because of who we were made to believe he was, we jumped at a chance to tear him down. And I also find it hard to believe a good looking, successful athletic young man hasn't done what is in his GOD given nature to do. No amount of "Goodness" can replace the natural order of things.

LE Dad
04-22-2010, 09:15 AM
If Tebow is not taken by a team it will more than likely be based
on his ability, or lack there of, than on his faith. I hope that is the case anyway.

Farmersfan
04-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
If Tebow is not taken by a team it will more than likely be based
on his ability, or lack there of, than on his faith. I hope that is the case anyway.

I agree Dad! All this other crap is just postering by some people to either try to throw others off the trail or justify their own decisions.

Emerson1
04-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
Do you guys think Tebow is going to be preaching in the huddle or something?? Seriously, his beliefs have no bearing on how good he'll be in the NFL.. As for his "rah-rah" style, I see Drew Brees and his copycat wannabe keith brooking do that crap every week and get praised for it..
Keith Brooking is a veteran and has at least done something on the field. People will listen to him, no one will listen to a rookie who doesn't even play.

UPanIN
04-22-2010, 10:29 AM
it was ok for Ali to praise his god after every boxing match and before every interview...

but not ok for a nobody rookie to praise his God anywhere or anytime:thinking:

Pick6
04-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by UPanIN
it was ok for Ali to praise his god after every boxing match and before every interview...

Ali is muslim, you know everyone is afraid (scared) to condemn muslims :rolleyes:

The more I read about Tebow, esp the crap on here, the more I hope he excels.

DDBooger
04-22-2010, 10:34 AM

but not ok for a nobody rookie to praise his God anywhere or anytime:thinking: Well, if Tebow is banned from Football and banished from the sport for upholding his teachings, we can put those on a even field.

UPanIN
04-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Well, if Tebow is banned from Football and banished from the sport for upholding his teachings, we can put those on a even field.

because he was banished and reinstated his beliefs are better and its ok for him to have the soap box?

Txbroadcaster
04-22-2010, 10:52 AM

first off the pretend Ali did not face problems because of his faith is crazy

2nd..Ali was not playing a TEAM sport. He only had to worry about himself.

Read about the 90's Cowboys and the crap some of the players who simply did not choose to live the party lifestyle took from teammates. Now they were not even preaching about anything, or even saying a word, but they were heckled and made fun of and basically disconnected from the team simply because they chose to live a "cleaner" life than the rest of the team.

Again this is NOT about his views, but some are worried his "preaching" or whatever you want to call it MIGHT cause problems in a lockeroom.

And btw this type of concern is for ANY rookie who is talkative, speaks his mind and is used to being a leader. The concern is does the player have it in him to take a backseat to others until he has EARNED the right to be an outspoken leader of the team

Pick6
04-22-2010, 10:56 AM

Read about the 90's Cowboys and the crap some of the players who simply did not choose to live the party lifestyle took from teammates. Now they were not even preaching about anything, or even saying a word, but they were heckled and made fun of and basically disconnected from the team simply because they chose to live a "cleaner" life than the rest of the team.

I've never heard anything about this. I'm interested to know where this info came from.

DDBooger
04-22-2010, 10:58 AM
because he was banished and reinstated his beliefs are better and its ok for him to have the soap box? You're dichotomizing an argument by using a comparison that is not any where near the same. Tebow is being black-balled by a few execs, Ali was stripped of a belt, ostracized and could not fight for years after.

UPanIN
04-22-2010, 11:00 AM

Again this is NOT about his views, but some are worried his "preaching" or whatever you want to call it MIGHT cause problems in a lockeroom.

And btw this type of concern is for ANY rookie who is talkative, speaks his mind and is used to being a leader. The concern is does the player have it in him to take a backseat to others until he has EARNED the right to be an outspoken leader of the team

Don't recall that being a problem in college. So we assume as soon as he's a pro the preaching in the locker room begins.

Phil C
04-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
He's from Texas.:nerd:

SintonFan I admire the Baptist Church.

Txbroadcaster
04-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
I've never heard anything about this. I'm interested to know where this info came from.

Read Jeff Perlman's Boys will Be Boys..

Robert Jones the then rookie LB was given such a hard time about his wanting to stay at home and not party and cheat on his wife that it began to effect him on the field.

Both NAte Newton and Irvin apologized to him years after because of how they treated him( as Irvin says in the book, we basically made his life hell because he was a better man than us)

Txbroadcaster
04-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Don't recall that being a problem in college. So we assume as soon as he's a pro the preaching in the locker room begins.

Again..it is not just about Tebow and his religious beliefs..it only gets reported because it is Tebow and his beliefs. There are MANY players who were leaders and out spoken in college that NFL execs worry if they will be able to go thru the chain of command by starting out at the bottom and working there way back up.

Doing that in college is ALOT easier because most of the guys are in the same age range...in the NFL an outspoken 21-24 yr old now has to learn to deal with 21-35 yr old men.

Pick6
04-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Read Jeff Perlman's Boys will Be Boys..

Jeff is a poor man's version of Skip Bayless.

Txbroadcaster
04-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Jeff is a poor man's version of Skip Bayless.

I wont disagree..but most of this book is interviews WITH the players..not as much he said/he said like in a Bayless book...ALOT of cooperation with the former players who were all pretty open about that era

UPanIN
04-22-2010, 11:28 AM
You're dichotomizing an argument by using a comparison that is not any where near the same. Tebow is being black-balled by a few execs, Ali was stripped of a belt, ostracized and could not fight for years after.

I give you props for using "dichotomizing" not sure i could have spelled it correctly without your help.

Tebow is being somewhat ostracized for his faith just as Ali was early on.

IMO. Just because Ali was prevented from fighting that doesn't give him anymore or less reason to be heard than Tebow or even you and me. Tebow has the stage and he's standing up to the mic. Just as you and I put our views on this board he's letting people know what he believes. Agree with him or not he doesn't seem to care.

Farmersfan
04-22-2010, 11:52 AM
I give you props for using "dichotomizing" not sure i could have spelled it correctly without your help.

Tebow is being somewhat ostracized for his faith just as Ali was early on.

IMO. Just because Ali was prevented from fighting that doesn't give him anymore or less reason to be heard than Tebow or even you and me. Tebow has the stage and he's standing up to the mic. Just as you and I put our views on this board he's letting people know what he believes. Agree with him or not he doesn't seem to care.

Ali was nothing more than a draft dodger! He found a loophole and used his celebrity to get out of trouble for it.

garciap77
04-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Ali is muslim, you know everyone is afraid (scared) to condemn muslims :rolleyes:

The more I read about Tebow, esp the crap on here, the more I hope he excels.

I rather :cheerl: for Tebow than a "Draft Dodger"!

Go Tebow!

DDBooger
04-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Ali was nothing more than a draft dodger! He found a loophole and used his celebrity to get out of trouble for it. That's what you're called when you're not privileged enough NOT to serve like Clinton, Bush, Cheney and post-war tough guy Nugent

crzyjournalist03
04-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
I rather :cheerl: for Tebow than a "Draft Dodger"!

Go Tebow!

Interesting that the "draft" could be both Tebow and Ali's biggest issue.

Aesculus gilmus
04-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Ali was nothing more than a draft dodger! He found a loophole and used his celebrity to get out of trouble for it.

I don't know if you are aware of this, but most of the members of the previous two U.S. presidential administrations from 1992 until 2008 did the same thing and were not even threatened with arrest for having done so. What went on during that war is why the military and government NEVER want to bring back the draft.

Farmersfan
04-22-2010, 12:25 PM
That's what you're called when you're not privileged enough NOT to serve like Clinton, Bush, Cheney and Nugent

Or smart enough to do it the RIGHT way!

DDBooger
04-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Or smart enough to do it the RIGHT way! Sorry, you meant wealthy or connected enough.

Even so, "smart enough to do it the right way" makes it right? LMAO! The contradiction is staggering.

How comforting for the men sent to die that the people sending them dodged their turn THE RIGHT WAY.

Farmersfan
04-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
I don't know if you are aware of this, but most of the members of the previous two U.S. presidential administrations from 1992 until 2008 did the same thing and were not even threatened with arrest for having done so. What went on during that war is why the military and government NEVER want to bring back the draft.

Which member of the previous two U.S. Presidential Administrations were drafted and refused it????? I know they all used political connections to LEGALLY avoid it but what are you talking about?

Farmersfan
04-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Sorry, you meant wealthy or connected enough.

Even so, "smart enough to do it the right way" makes it right? LMAO! The contradiction is staggering.

How comforting for the men sent to die that the people sending them dodged their turn THE RIGHT WAY.

I'm sorry Booger! Nobody told me we switched the discussion from legal/illegal to right/wrong.

DDBooger
04-22-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm sorry Booger! Nobody told me we switched the discussion from legal/illegal to right/wrong. Sorry that you think their is a difference in "intent" when avoiding service legally or illegally. Especially when access to that legality is limited to a few. :thinking:

Farmersfan
04-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Sorry that you think their is a difference in "intent" when avoiding service legally or illegally. Especially when access to that legality is limited to a few. :thinking:

The original statement was that Ali was persecuted for his religious beliefs! That is NOT the case. Ali was persecuted because he dodged the draft and was found guilty of draft evasion. All this other nonsense you have added to the discussion is meaningless. Because a few well connected political figures found a legal loophole to get out of the draft does not make it acceptable for EVERYONE to simply refuse it. I have never agreed with the draft myself but pull up your Liberal panties and stop acting like everyone in the country is entitled to exactly the same things. Like it or not there is a peaking order and the higher up on that order you get the more advantages you can expect.

DDBooger
04-22-2010, 12:41 PM
The original statement was that Ali was persecuted for his religious beliefs! That is NOT the case. Ali was persecuted because he dodged the draft and was found guilty of draft evasion. All this other nonsense you have added to the discussion is meaningless. Because a few well connected political figures found a legal loophole to get out of the draft does not make it acceptable for EVERYONE to simply refuse it. I have never agreed with the draft myself but pull up your Liberal panties and stop acting like everyone in the country is entitled to exactly the same things. Like it or not there is a peaking order and the higher up on that order you get the more advantages you can expect. Spoken as the puppet you truly are! Rules for all, except for some! ;) Perhaps when you take off your conservative hood to the world, you'll have a different perception, rather than the narrow parameters you seem to think from(I use that word hesitantly).

Where's your Patriotism? Isn't that what REAL tyranny is all about? (pecking order, entitlement that is good when it is for the top) haha

This was about Tebow, someone compared it to Ali, nothing pertained to Draft Dodger except your use of it as a negative connotation.

Farmersfan
04-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Spoken as the puppet you truly are! Rules for all except for some! ;) Perhaps when you take off your conservative hood to the world you'll have a different perception rather than the narrow parameters you seem to think (I use that word hesitantly).

Where's your Patriotism? Isn't that what REAL tyranny is all about? haha

I never said I agreed with any of this Booger! But I will play the game.
What "rules" did the select few break?

BEAST
04-22-2010, 01:03 PM
From reading this thread, I can now assume, Tebow will soon become a draft dodger, convert to islam and change his name to Timok Otebobama, and be banned from the NFL.

BEAST

garciap77
04-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
From reading this thread, I can now assume, Tebow will soon become a draft dodger, convert to islam and change his name to Timok Otebobama, and be banned from the NFL.

BEAST

lol

DDBooger
04-22-2010, 01:04 PM
I never said I agreed with any of this Booger! But I will play the game.
What "rules" did the select few break? I didn't say they were broken, I said those that apply to some and not to others. Simply that the ACCESS to those legal loopholes were for a few not everyone. Not hard to surmise who it was that benefited.

Bah, we took this thread on a huge tangent.

I think Tebow does just fine in the Pros! ;)

DDBooger
04-22-2010, 01:05 PM

BEAST
LOL :clap:

Yall have a good one, Booger out!

Ranger Mom
04-22-2010, 01:25 PM

BEAST

From reading this thread, I can now assume that it will be closed before long!!

Get it back on track guys!!!

Farmersfan
04-22-2010, 01:27 PM
I didn't say they were broken, I said those that apply to some and not to others. Simply that the ACCESS to those legal loopholes were for a few not everyone. Not hard to surmise who it was that benefited.

Bah, we took this thread on a huge tangent.

I think Tebow does just fine in the Pros! ;)

You should run for President under a "We all deserve exactly the same things in life" regardless of our abilities or effort campaign!

TheDOCTORdre
04-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Bottom line is if Tebow can perform on the field the "issues of his faith":rolleyes: will be over looked but if he fails, there will be people that will blame his religious divisiveness for his failure

Farmersfan
04-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Bottom line is if Tebow can perform on the field the "issues of his faith":rolleyes: will be over looked but if he fails, there will be people that will blame his religious divisiveness for his failure

He seems like a pretty smart guy. I don't think he will burn any bridges or do anything harmful to his career. (Unless the skeletons start coming out of the Tebow closet).

TheDOCTORdre
04-22-2010, 01:44 PM
(Unless the skeletons start coming out of the Tebow closet).

are you saying Tebow is in the closet

Farmersfan
04-22-2010, 01:46 PM
are you saying Tebow is in the closet

Not that there is anything wrong with that! Right?

BEAST
04-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
From reading this thread, I can now assume that it will be closed before long!!

Get it back on track guys!!!

Why did I get the nasty qouted comment? I wasnt the one who derailed this thread. I just made a funny.

BEAST

Farmersfan
04-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Why did I get the nasty qouted comment? I wasnt the one who derailed this thread. I just made a funny.

BEAST

It was Booger! It was Booger! :p :p

turbostud
04-22-2010, 02:11 PM
LMAO, How does a Tim Tebow thread turn into a politcal thread? Only on the downlow.

Anyone remember how much crap Eli Manning took for "not being vocal enough" & "for not being a leader," I thought this is what NFL teams were looking for in a rookie QB.

Pick6
04-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
LMAO, How does a Tim Tebow thread turn into a politcal thread? Only on the downlow.

Anyone remember how much crap Eli Manning took for "not being vocal enough" & "for not being a leader," I thought this is what NFL teams were looking for in a rookie QB.

You need to remember the NFL people aren't as smart as some people on here

turbostud
04-22-2010, 02:26 PM
You need to remember the NFL people aren't as smart as some people on here

:D

Ranger Mom
04-22-2010, 02:46 PM

BEAST

Oops.....that wasn't intended to be directed at you. I quoted you because I was using the same wording you did in your post!!:)

Sorry for the confusion!