PDA

View Full Version : Did you know? NFL edition

crzyjournalist03
04-21-2010, 09:33 AM
As I was examining the schedule last night, it's hard not to immediately start thinking about the Super Bowl. So as I was laying in bed last night unable to sleep, I started trying to figure out if there was any way to predict a potential Super Bowl matchup, and I came up with a trend that was really surprising that I hadn't realized before.

Did you know that of the last 9 Super Bowls, there have been 9 different NFC teams to play in them? Take a look at the last nine years:

Saints
Cardinals
Giants
Bears
Seahawks
Eagles
Panthers
Buccaneers
Rams

Super Bowl XXXV had the Giants, so that's as far back as the run goes. But that means that there are more NFC teams have actually played in the Super Bowl in the last decade than teams that haven't. And of those teams that haven't, at least four of them could be considered threats to do it THIS year:

Cowboys
Redskins
Packers
Vikings
Lions
Falcons
49ers

I'd say that the Cowboys, Packers, Vikings, and Falcons at this point are all considered among the top contenders to play in Super Bowl XLV.

Meanwhile, during that same stretch, there have been only 4 AFC teams that have played in the Super Bowl: Colts, Steelers, Patriots, Raiders. In the last six Super Bowls, the Patriots played, followed by the Steelers and Colts, then the Patriots again followed by the Colts and Steelers.

So if you are a believer in trends and you want to make an educated guess on the teams in Super Bowl XLV, your best bet is to take either the Cowboys, Packers, Vikings or Falcons against the Patriots in Super Bowl XLV.

playnhurt
04-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Someone once said,

"Statistics remind me of the man that drowned in the river that averaged 3 feet deep."