PDA

View Full Version : 7 on 7

GreenMonster
04-20-2010, 01:05 PM
What is your stance on 7 on 7? Personally I hate it and think that there are entirely too many HS coaches that are involved in it. I think the UIL is way over due on stepping in and putting a stop to HS coach involvement in this mess.

Old Tiger
04-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Need another option "I like it as long is its well organized, and ran properly but do not care if ran by coaches or parents."

Rule #76
04-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Why should coaches be taken out completely?

GreenMonster
04-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Need another option "I like it as long is its well organized, and ran properly but do not care by coaches." OK, I can see that. I,m all for it if a bunch of dad's want to go out and have their kids play 2-below, flag football, or whatever the hell else they might want to call 7-on-7, but there is no place for professional coaches in it. UIL rules spell it out very plainly and some schools/coaches have chosen to ignore those rules because they feel it benefits them only if it is run using their terminology, their routes, and under their control. How are you as a coach supposed to teach sportsmanship and proper behavior if you pick and choose what rules you will follow and which ones you will break? It's all or nothing in my book. To break a rule through lack of oversight or ignorance is one thing but all coaches know that this is wrong and many do it any ways.

jason
04-20-2010, 01:24 PM
what if you are a coach on the high school staff but also happen to be a parent of one of the players? does that disqualify them from coaching the 7 on 7?

Old Tiger
04-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by jason
what if you are a coach on the high school staff but also happen to be a parent of one of the players? does that disqualify them from coaching the 7 on 7? yes

and greenmonster is is my revised option

Need another option "I like it as long is its well organized and ran properly but do not care if ran by coaches or parents."

marler1972
04-20-2010, 02:04 PM
It is a great tool for the players. I do belive the UIL was going to vote on letting the coachs actually coach the teams but they tabled the vote till this next summer.

marler1972
04-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
What is your stance on 7 on 7? Personally I hate it and think that there are entirely too many HS coaches that are involved in it. I think the UIL is way over due on stepping in and putting a stop to HS coach involvement in this mess.

Why not let the coach's coach it?

nt7on7
04-20-2010, 02:58 PM
I love it. I think it is great conditioning, it has an exciting pace, and moms seem to love it more than football.

More than offensive work, I think it gives the defense a lot of work in man-to-man, that younger kids may not get until the varsity level otherwise.

I don't think the coaches should be involved in the coaching side of it. Mostly, because it is against the rules.

Rabid Cougar
04-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Linemen Challanges.... That's were it is at. HARNESS PULL!

LH Panther Mom
04-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by nt7on7
moms seem to love it more than football.
Not this one! I watch because my kids participate. The only time I've intentionally been to watch 7-7 other than my kids is at Lake Travis a few years ago when I went to visit with 44IAR. I like football because of the physical nature...and not a lot of "physical" stuff going on in 7-7.

Matthew328
04-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Here's my take....

1) 7 on 7 is a GREAT tool for your team, if you dont use it all you will be missing out on great opprotunities to get your kids great experience in game-like settings. Even if you dont throw the ball much the simple fact of the matter a lot of other people run the spread and sling it around so your DB's better be able to cover.

2) 7 on 7 has grown nationwide, if the UIL were to completely takes the coaches out of it then it will quickly devolve into AAU basketball, club soccer or select baseball. The snakes will be out and soon you'll see all-star teams, kids that have handlers and eventually AAU coaches being the go between with the college coach and the kid. It's going on in other states.

3) The simple fact of the matter is over 90% of the teams in Texas use 7 on 7 in some form or fashion, most would agree UIL stepping in would be bad.

Now what's happening w/7 on 7.

1) Coaches are NOT being taken out of tournaments or league play, they are just being taken out of running tournaments or league play that their teams are in.

2) Luckily the state 7 on 7 board has grown to the point and is so organized that they have thought ahead for a ruling like this. (With the help of yours truly). What will eventually happen is the coaches on the state board will rotate around and cover each others tournaments for them. So the coach at Denton may run the tournament in Mesquite and the coach at Mesquite will run the Denton tournament etc. So the backup plan is already in place and being worked and in the event the coaches can't run each others tournaments there's several guys statewide who are willing to run tournaments. For example I am running the Snyder tournament.

3) State Qualifier Play and State Tournament play won't be affected, what will be affected is local league play. They dont have the infrastructre like the State Qualifiers so it will be tough for them to figure out how to still run their local leagues.

4) I agree coaches shouldn't be coaching and I know it will be watched closely this summer but I think once the adjustment period is over 7 on 7 will be stronger than ever.

bobcat4life
04-20-2010, 10:03 PM
I like the way it is but I think the coaches should be more involved. It helps the players for football I think if they at least practiced with coaches and run the same system as their school runs

trg
04-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Linemen Challanges.... That's were it is at. HARNESS PULL!

Woooohoooo!!!! I am with you. :)

VWG
04-21-2010, 01:05 PM
It's gotten to where 7 on 7 has become more than just a few summer or end of school tournaments. Money is getting involved now, so like it or not, it's going to get bigger.
The problem is that in smaller schools you have to juggle summer football, basketball, and baseball.
Football coaches want more 7 on 7, hoops coaches want kids involved in summer league, same with baseball.
4A and 5A schools don't have the issues that 3A and below classifications have.

CheerMom
04-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Personally, I love it!!:D

GreenMonster
04-21-2010, 01:20 PM
I'll admit that my biggest gripe isn't the organizing of the events by the coaches it's most definitely the coaching of 7-on-7 by hs coaches using school equipment on school grounds and in at least a few cases using school transportation (I know of several such instances that got swept under the rug). UIL has rules set up that plainly state these as infractions and yet there are still so many that completely disregard these rules. The basketball coaches and baseball coaches would LOVE to have the opportunity to continue their program through the summer the way these football coaches have been doing for the last 5 or 6 years.

Old Tiger
04-21-2010, 01:23 PM
The only problem is if high school coaches get pushed away from it it gives and opportunity for street agents to get involved.

marler1972
04-21-2010, 01:51 PM
I'll admit that my biggest gripe isn't the organizing of the events by the coaches it's most definitely the coaching of 7-on-7 by hs coaches using school equipment on school grounds and in at least a few cases using school transportation (I know of several such instances that got swept under the rug). UIL has rules set up that plainly state these as infractions and yet there are still so many that completely disregard these rules. The basketball coaches and baseball coaches would LOVE to have the opportunity to continue their program through the summer the way these football coaches have been doing for the last 5 or 6 years.

The UIL needs to let all coaches coach summer leagues.

Pick6
04-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by marler1972
The UIL needs to let all coaches coach summer leagues.

Then coaches will want more $$$ and most schools don't have the extra to spend on that.

Charlie47
04-21-2010, 02:38 PM
It's great, just get the coaches involved, so there can be real
benefit to the teams.:)

Matthew328
04-21-2010, 07:40 PM

Green Monster, the UIL actually likes whats going on w/7 on 7 for the most part. The blatant violations esp in Dallas and Houston are with basketball and thats why the UIL has cracked down.

VWG
04-21-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Green Monster, the UIL actually likes whats going on w/7 on 7 for the most part. The blatant violations esp in Dallas and Houston are with basketball and thats why the UIL has cracked down.

That still doesn't address the 3A/2A/1A scenarios with multiple sport athletes.

Additup
04-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Can't believe no major accidents traveling to and from games. The way kids pile in cars to commute to games is dangerous. Coaches should at least be able to help transport kids safely if UIL is OK with 7 on 7.

Matthew328
04-22-2010, 06:56 AM
VWG there is no scenario for the smaller school multi-sport athlete. All you can do is deal with it and work around it. You'll always have summer conflicts.

GreenMonster
04-22-2010, 09:24 AM
There's been lots of good info and quality discussion on this subject, but I still hate 7 on 7. I can certainly believe the inner city hoops issues with AAU. My thought is that if UIL is happy with it then they should pick it up and make it an additional spring sport.

Txbroadcaster
04-22-2010, 09:31 AM
There's been lots of good info and quality discussion on this subject, but I still hate 7 on 7. I can certainly believe the inner city hoops issues with AAU. My thought is that if UIL is happy with it then they should pick it up and make it an additional spring sport.

I think that is the next step to be honest..to much money in it for the UIL to not get involved

Matthew328
04-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Agreed, thats about the only thing left. I doubt they'd make it a spring sport though.

UIL likes things as they are run now, they just needed to do some fine tuning and making sure a few kinks are worked out.

Third parties are running qualifying tournaments statewide. I'm doing at least one and possibly two. I think Jeff Howe from ESPN is doing one, Padilla's doing a couple, one of the head refs in FW is doing a couple, Matt Diggs is doing one.

Several others are still being run by coaches but because their teams aren't in the tournament they are legal by UIL definition. Examples of this are Houston Texans Day 2, Arlington Bowie D2, Midwestern State, Tarleton State, Round Rock Westwood D2.

Whats really going to be hurting is the local leagues which are less organized. Be interesting to see how that works out.