PDA

View Full Version : Jasper vs. Newton broken down

SETXFBFAN
10-16-2002, 10:11 AM
OK I have heard everyone's opinion about the game, but I want to know from those of you that really know these two schools. Let's get detailed and do a position breakdown.

Jasper OL vs Newton DL
Jasper QB/RB vs Newton's LB's
Jasper Receivers vs Newton Secondary

Newton OL vs Jasper DL
Newton Backfield vs Jasper LB's
Newton's Receivers vs Jasper Secondary

Special Teams ?
Intangibles?
Coaching ?

southern_thunder
10-16-2002, 10:36 AM
Jasper's OL is bigger and stronger than Newton's DL but Newton's DL is faster.

Jasper's QB & RB's are faster than Newton's LB's

Jasper's receivers are faster than Newton's secondary

Newton's OL is not as big , fast, or strong as Jasper's DL

Newton's QB is slow however there RB's are as fast if not faster than Jasper's LB's

Newton's recievers are not as fast or physical as Jasper's secondary

Special Teams might be a toss up but lean towards Newton

Intangibles who knows that is what makes them intangible.

Coaching well experience goes to Newton, but from what I have seen this is the best staff Jasper has ever had. So another toss up.

All I know for sure is that the game will played on the field Friday night and it will be one hell of a game, don't miss it if you can help it.

Jasper by 21.

Just an uneducated guess.

Reveille
10-16-2002, 10:55 AM
Jasper OL vs Newton DL
Jasper's OL is big. Newton's DL is small but quick. I would give the edge to Newton.

Jasper QB/RB vs Newton's LB's
This one is close to a wash. Newton has a junior backer who will be a d-1 recruit. Jasper has excellent speed at QB/RB.

Jasper Receivers vs Newton Secondary
If Jasper has time to pass, they will kill Newton in the secondary. Jasper heavy in this category.

Newton OL vs Jasper DL
Newton's OL is small and quick. They pull well when running their sweeps. Jasper has an all world lineman in Red Bryant. He has his pick of D-1 schools. Don't look for Newton to run up the middle much. Jasper probably has a minimal edge here.

Newton Backfield vs Jasper LB's
Newton has two solid underclassmen running backs. Been impressed with them. Jasper has one very good LB and two others that are not bad. Would probably give it to Newton here though.

Newton's Receivers vs Jasper Secondary
Jasper's secondary is in a lot better shape than Newton's receivers.

Special Teams ?
Jasper is horrible in the kicking game with Newton being about the same. The return teams are about equal. It is a wash.

Intangibles?
I believe the intangibles are a wash also.

Coaching ?
I give Newton the decided edge here. Barbay and Walkoviak on offense and W.T. on defense. Excellent coaching staff overall for Newton. Year in and out, the coaching staff gets a premium out of their players.

duckbutter
10-16-2002, 11:08 AM
Reveille I think you covered all the bases except for Jaspers receivers vs Newton secondary. I would have to say that these two are even because this is the best secondary that Newton has had in a long time. Most of them have been starting on varsity since they were soph. I think one deciding factor will be that Newton is a more physical team than Jasper and we will see how well Jasper's QB can stand up to the punishment.

Reveille
10-16-2002, 11:30 AM
Duck, you are probably right about Newton being a more physical team, but both teams are going to be laying the wood this Friday. I also agree that Mitchell is going need to have his jets turned on this weekend. As we both know, Newton knocked him out of the game last year. .............This game is going to be rated R with all of the hitting going. Should be a hell of a ballgame.

PURPLE_SWARM
10-16-2002, 05:06 PM
I THINK THAT AS A UNIT THAT NEWTONS DEF. WILL PUNISH MITCHELL. AS FOR THE SECONDARY I AGREE WITH DUCKBUTTER MOST LIKELY THE BEST IN SOME TIME, I HOPE JASPER HAS UNDER ESTIMATED THEM. I THINK NEWTON HOLDS THE EDGE ON RETURN TEAMS BUT ONLY IF NEWTON CAN HOLD ON TO THE BALL, THIS GAME COULD COME DOWN TO TURNOVERS.

Keith7
10-16-2002, 06:56 PM
I hope Newton wins.. but Jasper has this one.. thats all i got to say about it

purplethug
10-16-2002, 08:38 PM
I hope Newton wins.. and Newton has this one.. thats all i got to say about it

"Newton will win, dont believe it, be there and watch"

Newton Fan
10-16-2002, 08:58 PM
Newton has their primary kicker / punter back. His first game this year was last week. May make a difference in this game.

I think this game will come down to how much Jaspers #1 QB plays. If he plays the most of the entire game Jasper wins. If he doesn't Newton wins.

mojjo_1
10-16-2002, 09:07 PM
OL-Jasper Rec-Jasper Rb-Jasper Qb-Jasper with Mitchell DL-Jasper Lb-Newton Db-Newton Special teams-Newton Depth-Jasper Speed-even Coaching-Newton Size-Jasper. I think Jasper's offense will score more on Newton's defense than Newton's offense will score on Jasper's defense. This game will be decided by turnovers. I look for a close hard fought game. Flip a coin this is a toss up. Don't talk alot of smack because crow taste baaaad. I know this game can go either way and so do alot of Newton fans. Most of the fans back both teams. I hope both teams stay healthy and win state titles.

southern_thunder
10-16-2002, 09:15 PM
I agree mojo a good old fashioned knock down drag out Friday night, then pull for both teams to bring both 3a State Championship Trophies back to 20-3A.

OldSchoolBulldog
10-16-2002, 10:12 PM
The keys to the game for Newton:
- Frustrate Jasper's Offense, clog the middle
- Establish the running game, execute the
toss sweep and pass to the flat.
- Win the special team battle.
- Hold on to the ball.
- Take advantage of the Newton's quickest
at the defensive line and linebacker
positions.

The keys to the game for Jasper:
- Hit Newton hard, they tend to drop the ball
when hit.
- Execute the passing attach, Newton's
secondary is suspect. Mitchell has an
excellent arm.
- The big offensive line must dominate and win
the battle up front.
- The big & quick defensive line must stay at
home and tackle.
- The secondary must step up and defend.

purplethug
10-16-2002, 10:28 PM
Newton Fan:
Newton has their primary kicker / punter back. His first game this year was last week. May make a difference in this game.

I think this game will come down to how much Jaspers #1 QB plays. If he plays the most of the entire game Jasper wins. If he doesn't Newton wins.If they play Jaspers #1 QB than the only thing he'll be doing for the rest of the season is throwing water bottles out from the bench

Bulldog92
10-16-2002, 10:56 PM
Is it necessary to refer to Mitchell like you're trying to knock him out of the game? That's classless. We don't act that way on this board, purplethug. Got it? Go Dogs....

mojjo_1
10-16-2002, 11:00 PM
That ought to fuel the fire.Thanks thug

purplethug
10-16-2002, 11:03 PM
mojjo_1:
That ought to fuel the fire.Thanks thugthat was the ideal

purplethug
10-16-2002, 11:08 PM
And i was not refuring that Newton will be putting anyone out of the game intentionaly.
But i understand that jaspers quarterback is already hurt and all im saying is he's gonna get hit come friday. And i just hope he can take it.

Bulldog92
10-16-2002, 11:15 PM
Read what you said and try to tell me and mojjo that there's no way we can assume that's what you meant. Come on man...we're not stupid. I think the Jasper coaches were taking it easy on Mitchell so that he would be ready for this game. I haven't been this fired up for a regular season game in a long time. It's gonna be electric...even for me 2500 miles away....

Jason1725
10-17-2002, 12:05 AM
Yeah maybe this year if Newton gets a late hit on Jasper's QB they will actually throw the flag. It's one thing to be proud of your team and want to win, but it is something different to play dirty. But I know from past experience this is nothing new over there. I know I am so pumped for this game I am even ready for the JV game tomorrow night.

PURPLE_SWARM
10-17-2002, 11:56 AM
BUCKEL YOUR CHIN STRAP AND TIGHTEN YOUR JOCK STRAP. NEWTONS COMEING AFTER ALL THE BULLDOGS WITH THE BALL, NOT JUST MITCHELL. CALL ESPN THIS OUGHT TO BE A INSTANT CLASSIC FOR DAM SURE!
I DONT THINK THUG WAS SAYING THAT WE ARE GOING TO TRY AND HURT ANY ONE. NEWTON KNOWS WHAT ITS LIKE TO LOSE A STARTING QB. (ISOM) AND HAVE EVERY ONE GUNING FOR HIM. ALL IM SAYING IS IF MITCHELL CANT HANDLE THE PAIN. HE MIGHT THINK ABOUT SETTING ON THE BENCH. WE WOULDNT MIND AND ITS DAMN HARD TO GET HURT ON THE SIDE LINE...
LETS HOPE FOR NO INJURYS ON EITHER SIDE. GO EAGLES

WreckinCrew
10-17-2002, 08:14 PM
Newton has hella speed and if Jasper's players are faster than Newton's and more physical i'll have to give it to Jasper. But dont get me wrong Newton can play some ball so ima have to go with
Newton !!!