PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia

Antec
04-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Do any of yall deal with insomia or sleeping diordes from time to tiem.

My problme is terrble an I'm hooked on AMbien CR 12.5 G pernight and I get tleep but wake up early in the morning and then can't get back.

Have had this problem almost 5 years already and seems to be gettign worse as I gorw older

Im 56 aNd have strsssed at work with high anxiety problem

bobcat4life
04-19-2010, 10:35 PM
I have trouble sleeping too and Im still in school....

Txbroadcaster
04-19-2010, 10:43 PM
I have always been a short sleeper..I seem to actually run better on 4-6 hours of sleep than 6-8.

coach
04-20-2010, 01:29 AM
i have trouble every night too....i have to drink nyquil every night before i go to bed or i wont fall asleep at all

Tx Challenge
04-20-2010, 12:36 PM
You Prob have Sleep Apnea. If your doctor gave you ambien, and it is not keeping you asleep, I am surprised they dont suggest you have a sleep study. Lots of folks swear by the Cpap machines, however they take some getting used to.

I went thru this and even had surgery about 3 years ago. It is better but I still tend to stop breathing and wake up several times a night.

The problem I have with ambien, yes it puts me to sleep quick, but I have weird dreams and if I do get woke up, I am up for the rest of the night. I cant seem to shut my mind and thoughts down. Any over the counter stuff I have ever tried takes too long to work and I have a fog hangover till I drink about a pot of coffee.

If your problem is not something physically, it has to be stress related. Might need to find a good "chill" med to help you put your mind at ease so you can sleep.

PPSTATEBOUND
04-20-2010, 02:21 PM
I recommend something natural.

Ranger Mom
04-20-2010, 02:30 PM
I have seen lots of commercial about ZEO.com (http://www.myzeo.com/) which is supposed to monitor your sleeping habits and then "couch" you on how to get better sleep!!

Tx Challenge
04-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
I recommend something natural.

+1 I am all for anything natural. First though the problem needs to be diagnosed. It could be something physical or all stress related. Lots of things can cause this. That is why I suggested a sleep study or at least talking to a doctor to try to figure out the cause.

sinton66
04-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Antec

My problme is terrble an I'm hooked on AMbien CR 12.5 G pernight and I get tleep but wake up early in the morning and then can't get back.

Have had this problem almost 5 years already and seems to be gettign worse as I gorw older

Do you smoke?

LH Panther Mom
04-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
+1 I am all for anything natural.
I'm not sure you're "all for" what I think he's talking about! :D

BwdLion73
04-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Buy you a lottery ticket and check the jackpot amount just before bed. When you hit the sack begin working with the prize amount figure the taxes, how you will invest it, who you will reward, and what you will do with some of the money. Go to sleep with good thoughts and when you wake up to pee.....(you did say you were 56) start where you left off and go back to sleep.
It stopped me from pressure from work worries , home worries ect.:D
Now if I ever win the lottery.....I may never get a good nights sleep again.
As usual run this by your doctor before trying it.;)

SintonFan
04-20-2010, 11:37 PM
This coming from a family of insomniacs:

I have found a combination of over-the-counter sleep aids works great if used every other night.

One night use the high quality natural sleep aid Melatonin(buy a good one from GNC like their 3-5 mg Natrol brand Melatonin). Take this before 9pm at night or it will be difficult to get up the next day.

The next night take the non-antihistamine sleep aid doxylamine succinate like Unisom. Take this at least 6-7 hours before you have to get up.

All nights take the pill and drink a large glass of water(12 oz) when you take it. That will help push the pill into your intestines where it works best.

Try this regiment for a week and report back here.
This route is cheaper than prescription drugs and much easier on your liver.
:)

PPSTATEBOUND
04-21-2010, 07:55 AM

Big Pharma at its finest.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/ambien-side-effects.html

Side Effects of Ambien - for the Consumer
Ambien
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Ambien:

Diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness (including daytime drowsiness); "drugged" feeling; dry mouth; headache; nausea; nose or throat irritation; sluggishness; stomach upset.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Ambien:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the hands, legs, mouth, face, lips, eyes, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); abnormal thinking; behavior changes; chest pain; confusion; decreased coordination; difficulty swallowing or breathing; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; memory problems (eg, memory loss); mental or mood changes (eg, aggression, agitation, anxiety, depression); severe dizziness; shortness of breath; suicidal thoughts or actions; vision changes.

Ambien CR Extended-Release Tablets
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Ambien CR Extended-Release Tablets:

Dizziness; drowsiness (including daytime drowsiness); "drugged" feeling; dry mouth; headache; muscle aches; nausea; nose or throat irritation; sluggishness; stomach upset.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Ambien CR Extended-Release Tablets:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the hands, legs, mouth, face, lips, eyes, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); abnormal thinking; behavior changes; chest pain; confusion; decreased coordination; difficulty swallowing or breathing; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; memory problems (eg, memory loss); mental or mood changes (eg, aggression, agitation, anxiety, depression); severe dizziness; shortness of breath; suicidal thoughts or actions; vision changes.

LOL.....yeah I'll stick with my all natural thingy.

PPSTATEBOUND
04-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm not sure you're "all for" what I think he's talking about! :D

Hey now..I think everyone can enjoy a warm cup of milk.:D

Farmersfan
04-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Hey now..I think everyone can enjoy a warm cup of milk.:D

Yea but how do you keep it lit?????

DDBooger
04-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Big Pharma at its finest.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/ambien-side-effects.html

Side Effects of Ambien - for the Consumer
Ambien
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Ambien:

Diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness (including daytime drowsiness); "drugged" feeling; dry mouth; headache; nausea; nose or throat irritation; sluggishness; stomach upset.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Ambien:

Ambien CR Extended-Release Tablets
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Ambien CR Extended-Release Tablets:

Dizziness; drowsiness (including daytime drowsiness); "drugged" feeling; dry mouth; headache; muscle aches; nausea; nose or throat irritation; sluggishness; stomach upset.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Ambien CR Extended-Release Tablets:

LOL.....yeah I'll stick with my all natural thingy.

Hey PPSB, have you read Let Them Eat Prozac?

44INAROW
04-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
This coming from a family of insomniacs:

I have found a combination of over-the-counter sleep aids works great if used every other night.

One night use the high quality natural sleep aid Melatonin(buy a good one from GNC like their 3-5 mg Natrol brand Melatonin). Take this before 9pm at night or it will be difficult to get up the next day.

The next night take the non-antihistamine sleep aid doxylamine succinate like Unisom. Take this at least 6-7 hours before you have to get up.

All nights take the pill and drink a large glass of water(12 oz) when you take it. That will help push the pill into your intestines where it works best.

Try this regiment for a week and report back here.
This route is cheaper than prescription drugs and much easier on your liver.
:)
sounds great Daniel but if I drank a 12 oz glass of water right before bed - I'd be up all night in the bathroom :) One thing we've done at our house is change to DeCaf Tea.. We are big tea drinkers and would drink tea until bedtime.. Then we wondered why we weren't sleeping good.. DUH the Decaf has helped.. In fact, the other night we went out to eat and I got regular tea and had trouble sleeping that night.. of course, the 3 hour nap that afternoon might have been another cause :)

44INAROW
04-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
You Prob have Sleep Apnea. If your doctor gave you ambien, and it is not keeping you asleep, I am surprised they dont suggest you have a sleep study. Lots of folks swear by the Cpap machines, however they take some getting used to.

I went thru this and even had surgery about 3 years ago. It is better but I still tend to stop breathing and wake up several times a night.

The problem I have with ambien, yes it puts me to sleep quick, but I have weird dreams and if I do get woke up, I am up for the rest of the night. I cant seem to shut my mind and thoughts down. Any over the counter stuff I have ever tried takes too long to work and I have a fog hangover till I drink about a pot of coffee.

If your problem is not something physically, it has to be stress related. Might need to find a good "chill" med to help you put your mind at ease so you can sleep.

CPAP machine totally changed my husband's quality of life and I am not kidding.. His sleep study revealed he quit breathing ALOT all night long - he wasn't resting at all...... Now he feels better! He takes that thing wherever he goes - Deer Camp, fishing trips, no matter..
Hope you find something that works Antec!

PPSTATEBOUND
04-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Hey PPSB, have you read Let Them Eat Prozac?

http://search.half.ebay.com/Let-them-eat-prozac_W0QQmZbooks

No sir....but will look it up.

I'm reading Rescuing Sprite as we speak....A book by Mark Levin...a possible Hero of yours?

DDBooger
04-21-2010, 11:25 AM
[url]

I'm reading Rescuing Sprite as we speak....A book by Mark Levin...a possible Hero of yours?
Naw, just another promoter of Somalian Govt. :D ;)

BullsFan
04-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
One thing we've done at our house is change to DeCaf Tea.. We are big tea drinkers and would drink tea until bedtime.. Then we wondered why we weren't sleeping good.. DUH the Decaf has helped.. In fact, the other night we went out to eat and I got regular tea and had trouble sleeping that night.. of course, the 3 hour nap that afternoon might have been another cause :)

I switch to decaf Diet Dr Pepper after school. Makes a huge difference in whether or not I sleep at night!

AP Panther Fan
04-21-2010, 02:56 PM

When I read this, I further questioned my vision. I think your fingers went to sleep just fine, it was your brain you couldn't turn off.;) :)

Ranger Mom
04-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
When I read this, I further questioned my vision. I think your fingers went to sleep just fine, it was your brain you couldn't turn off.;) :)

ROFL!! I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out.....which is weird....I usually spot typos right off!!!:p :p

AP Panther Fan
04-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
ROFL!! I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out.....which is weird....I usually spot typos right off!!!:p :p

I thought it was rather ironic and found humor in it for some damn, strange reason. :ack!:

:D

Green Bling
04-21-2010, 08:17 PM
When I wake up and have trouble getting back to sleep, I just play the seventh hole at Pebble Beach, and before I know it I'm asleep. I never lose my ball in the drink, and I always par the hole. I know I'd never be able to birdie it, so par is the big dream for me!! :D

SintonFan
04-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Try to watch TV without the sound. It puts you right back to sleep. ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.......

Buckeye1980
04-22-2010, 01:40 PM
I use to have trouble sleeping but I recorded a soccer match, if I can't sleep, I jus start watching and I am out!

Phantom Stang
04-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
I use to have trouble sleeping but I recorded a soccer match, if I can't sleep, I jus start watching and I am out!
Putting in a movie dvd, and turning on "commentary" works like a charm.:sleeping:

PPSTATEBOUND
04-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Putting in a movie dvd, and turning on "commentary" works like a charm.:sleeping:

You know I have actually done that and it does work.:eek:

AP Panther Fan
05-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Here you go RM ... I tghout of tihs trhaed wehn I got tihs emial aigan. l :D

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

MUSTANG69
05-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Here you go RM ... I tghout of tihs trhaed wehn I got tihs emial aigan. l :D

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

I read this and it cured my insomnia. Just kidding. I have seen this before and it is amazing that a person can understand it.:thinking:

AP Panther Fan
05-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
I read this and it cured my insomnia. Just kidding. I have seen this before and it is amazing that a person can understand it.:thinking:

See you have a strange mind too.

I have always liked scrabble, puzzles, word find etc... Maybe we can read things like this easier than some....I just dunno.

:nerd:

MUSTANG69
05-05-2010, 11:14 AM

I have always liked scrabble, puzzles, word find etc... Maybe we can read things like this easier than some....I just dunno.

:nerd:

Maybe we both have breathed too much salt air off the Gulf.:D

waterboy
05-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Maybe we both have breathed too much salt air off the Gulf.:D
That can't be it. I'm 250 miles from the coast and I can still read and understand it. I guess I'm one of those 55 in a hundred.....:doh:

I went through a period of a couple of years of insomnia. My cure was getting married, having sex at least once a day, and a brand new bedroom suit with better mattresses.:D

MUSTANG69
05-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
That can't be it. I'm 250 miles from the coast and I can still read and understand it. I guess I'm one of those 55 in a hundred.....:doh:

I went through a period of a couple of years of insomnia. My cure was getting married, having sex at least once a day, and a brand new bedroom suit with better mattresses.:D

Braggart:D

waterboy
05-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Braggart:D
Yep! Not everybody can afford a brand new mattress set.....:D

SintonFan
05-05-2010, 05:54 PM

Give it time.
Marriage taught me about "delayed gratification".:doh:

BwdLion73
05-05-2010, 06:16 PM

I went through a period of a couple of years of insomnia. My cure was getting married, having sex at least once a day, and a brand new bedroom suit with better mattresses.:D [/B]

Does it have to go in any particular order?:)

bobcat4life
05-05-2010, 07:33 PM

:nerd: Even idiotscan read it. Heres proof: I read it without trouble

are minds are amazing

waterboy
05-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Give it time.
Marriage taught me about "delayed gratification".:doh:
:eek: When does it change? I've been married 13-1/2 years.....:eek:

:thinking: Oh..........and they have a pill for that......:D

MUSTANG69
05-06-2010, 11:03 AM

:thinking: Oh..........and they have a pill for that......:D

Just be patient. The "change is coming" and it ain't going to be fun. :D

waterboy
05-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Just be patient. The "change is coming" and it ain't going to be fun. :D
:eek: What is this "change" you're talking about? At what age does it usually happen? I'll be 49 in a couple of months......:doh: .........but I don't look a day over 48!:clap: :D

MUSTANG69
05-06-2010, 11:27 AM
:eek: What is this "change" you're talking about? At what age does it usually happen? I'll be 49 in a couple of months......:doh: .........but I don't look a day over 48!:clap: :D

The "change of life" for women. Such a lovely period in a marriage. Requires lots of patience for the husband because he can't do nothing right even when he doesn't do anything.:D

waterboy
05-06-2010, 11:35 AM
The "change of life" for women. Such a lovely period in a marriage. Requires lots of patience for the husband because he can't do nothing right even when he doesn't do anything.:D
:doh: Oh, crap! I thought you were talking about ME!:D

:thinking: What's my wife's "changes" got to do with me?:D

I kid.....I kid!

MUSTANG69
05-06-2010, 12:11 PM
:doh: Oh, crap! I thought you were talking about ME!:D

:thinking: What's my wife's "changes" got to do with me?:D

I kid.....I kid!

Don't let her hear you say that! The results could be devastating. Like I said you won't be able to do anything right and anything you say WILL be held against you. I have the mental scars to prove it.:D

AP Panther Fan
05-06-2010, 12:12 PM
pffft.....to both of you.:twitch:

MUSTANG69
05-06-2010, 12:18 PM
pffft.....to both of you.:twitch:

See this response Waterboy. Get used to it.:mad:

SintonFan
05-06-2010, 12:51 PM