PDA

View Full Version : Do people really want to work anymore?

LE Dad
04-19-2010, 01:20 PM
I hired a gentleman with absolutely zero experience in my business. I started him out at 9.75 / hour and gave him a bonus structure that could yield him an additional $500 / mo. He came into my office this morning and advised me, that after only 30 days, he needed a raise. Needless to say he is no longer employed.

Cooper Tire, has hired 40+ people over the past month. Out of that number less than 10 are still employed currently. Over half quit because they claimed the work was too hard or the plant was not air conditioned, but my all time favorite was " I was getting paid the same amount at my last job and all I did was sit on my a$$". The others were released because they simply couldn't or wouldn't do simple repetitive production tasks. The most glaring of these was the one who bulit 300 tires completely backwards.

This is truly sad.

BEAST
04-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Why work when the gov't will pay you not to?

BEAST

kaorder1999
04-19-2010, 01:22 PM
the real question is...can you get us downlowers discounts on tires??

Old Tiger
04-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
the real question is...can you get us downlowers discounts on tires?? very true!

Reds fan
04-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
I hired a gentleman with absolutely zero experience in my business. I started him out at 9.75 / hour and gave him a bonus structure that could yield him an additional $500 / mo. He came into my office this morning and advised me, that after only 30 days, he needed a raise. Needless to say he is no longer employed.

Cooper Tire, has hired 40+ people over the past month. Out of that number less than 10 are still employed currently. Over half quit because they claimed the work was too hard or the plant was not air conditioned, but my all time favorite was " I was getting paid the same amount at my last job and all I did was sit on my a$$". The others were released because they simply couldn't or wouldn't do simple repetitive production tasks. The most glaring of these was the one who bulit 300 tires completely backwards.

This is truly sad.

Very sad indeed, hard to compete with the government ( I mean taxpayers) paying folk NOT to work.

SWMustang
04-19-2010, 01:29 PM
I The most glaring of these was the one who bulit 300 tires completely backwards.

This is truly sad.

How was he allowed to work unsupervised that long to mess up that bad. Was he properly trained? Should he have known these were backwards? just curious

LE Dad
04-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
the real question is...can you get us downlowers discounts on tires?? No one gets a discount anymore. They claim you do, but by the time they are done the employees are getting screwed just as bad as the next guy.

Although they may have 300 at a special discount price.:D

kaorder1999
04-19-2010, 01:32 PM
No one gets a discount anymore. They claim you do, but by the time they are done the employees are getting screwed just as bad as the next guy.

crap....NOT what i was hoping to hear!! lol

LE Dad
04-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
How was he allowed to work unsupervised that long to mess up that bad. Was he properly trained? Should he have known these were backwards? just curious It really doesn't take that long. My understanding was his trainer probably could have trained him more effectively, but at the same time it was a rather glaring mistake.

NateDawg39
04-19-2010, 01:43 PM
I recently interviewed a young man (a year older than me at 24) for my former position as QA/QC with my company. He has about a months worth of experience but turns out he is the nephew of someone a little bit higher up than me ;)

So while I am in Europe he will be over projects in the states. He needs training and guidance but he will not get it....my only hope is that we do not get audited while I am gone because I am certain he will overlook something and cause us to be in serious trouble :(

CenTexSports
04-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Welcome to the real world. It is a problem everywhere. I have been fighting this for the last 25 years. The link below is a talk I gave before the 21st Century Workforce Commission. It is not spot on your topic but is addresses other issues that make being a manager in manufacturing very difficcult.

http://permanent.access.gpo.gov/lps5258/www.workforce21.org/archive_ms_brunson.htm

Trashman
04-19-2010, 01:52 PM
The most glaring of these was the one who bulit 300 tires completely backwards.

I know nothing about building tires. Is it even possible build one backwards? Looks like it would work just as well one way or the other.:confused:

LE Dad
04-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
I know nothing about building tires. Is it even possible build one backwards? Looks like it would work just as well one way or the other.:confused: I am not in the tire business myself, my friend is a supervisor out there, but yes it is very possible. There are several layers (plys,steel belt etc) that must go on in a particular order. These layers are color coded and if you don't put them on right then the tire could malfunction.

Farmersfan
04-19-2010, 02:21 PM
As a GM of a major Resturaunt chain I saw labor issues in every single market I worked in for 12 years. In Sherman Tx I could hire 10 people a day but very few of them were worth the time and most didn't last more than a week. In Midland Tx I got about 2 applications a month and most turned down my wage offer. In Flagstaff Arizona all I could hire were Native Americans who didn't care if they worked or not and college students from NAU who required every single holiday off. People don't work! Minimum wagers think they should have working conditions like CEOs or Managers. If not for illegal aliens the service industry would be hurting big time!

44INAROW
04-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Very sad indeed, hard to compete with the government ( I mean taxpayers) paying folk NOT to work.

Preach on - I totally agree!

Ex-Tiger2005
04-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Why work when the gov't will pay you not to?

BEAST

We did a survey deal the other day in History and some real stats showed that some people were recieving 2x what some of us were making actually working!!! I was pissed! :mad:

BEAST
04-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Exactly.

BEAST

Keith7
04-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
We did a survey deal the other day in History and some real stats showed that some people were recieving 2x what some of us were making actually working!!! I was pissed! :mad:

And those are the people conservatives want to give tax cuts! :mad: :mad:

Bullaholic
04-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
And those are the people conservatives want to give tax cuts! :mad: :mad:

I just got to hear this imaginative explanation. Proceed.......

LE Dad
04-19-2010, 03:03 PM
And those are the people conservatives want to give tax cuts! :mad: :mad: I think he was referring to entitlements Keith. I don't think they need tax breaks.:D

Keith7
04-19-2010, 03:45 PM
I read the message I posted wrong.. oops ignore me please :(

NateDawg39
04-19-2010, 03:51 PM
I read the message I posted wrong.. oops ignore me please :( Thats easy Keith give us a real challenge :D

TheDOCTORdre
04-19-2010, 03:59 PM
I work for a magazine distribution company and within the last three months we have had around ten people quit(we only have 8 routes) because the work was too hard. The tasks involved in this "hard work" drive a van/box truck, to a store,(ie wal-mart, walgreens, albertsons, HEB) and put the magazines in the magazine racks, or go to convenience stores and just drop off the magazines and not even have to put them out... I still dont understand how this is hard work

BullsFan
04-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Well, in my profession we don't make nearly what we're worth. We work evenings and weekends without pay, and taking a day off is more work than actually going to work, which is why so many of us work sick. People think we get summers off, but we don't--we get paid only for the days we work with the pay spaced out over 12 months. And many of us take second (or as in my case, third and fourth) jobs just to make ends meet. So yes, I'd say there are some of us who want to work. :)

waterboy
04-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I work for a magazine distribution company and within the last three months we have had around ten people quit(we only have 8 routes) because the work was too hard. The tasks involved in this "hard work" drive a van/box truck, to a store,(ie wal-mart, walgreens, albertsons, HEB) and put the magazines in the magazine racks, or go to convenience stores and just drop off the magazines and not even have to put them out... I still dont understand how this is hard work
Them dang magazines are heavy!:weeping:

Tell them fellers we have some hay to haul over here in East Texas! I also know a feller that delivers sheet rock.....:evillol: How about some landscaping jobs? I've got some 8"x8"x 12' crossties that need to be stacked and leveled....:devil: I also know some drilling rigs that need some "worms".....

Maybe after a few days of this work they'll appreciate those pansy jobs...:D

waterboy
04-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Well, in my profession we don't make nearly what we're worth. We work evenings and weekends without pay, and taking a day off is more work than actually going to work, which is why so many of us work sick. People think we get summers off, but we don't--we get paid only for the days we work with the pay spaced out over 12 months. And many of us take second (or as in my case, third and fourth) jobs just to make ends meet. So yes, I'd say there are some of us who want to work. :)
What are you? A teacher?:clap: :D That's what it sounds like..... I know, I'm married to one...:clap:

TheDOCTORdre
04-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by waterboy

Tell them fellers we have some hay to haul over here in East Texas! I also know a feller that delivers sheet rock.....:evillol: How about some landscaping jobs? I've got some 8"x8"x 12' crossties that need to be stacked and leveled....:devil:

are you calling me a pansy for having this job:(

garciap77
04-19-2010, 04:26 PM
I am not in the tire business myself, my friend is a supervisor out there, but yes it is very possible. There are several layers (plys,steel belt etc) that must go on in a particular order. These layers are color coded and if you don't put them on right then the tire could malfunction.

:thinking:
Maybe the person was color blind!
:D

waterboy
04-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
are you calling me a pansy for having this job:(
:tisk: .....Oh, contrare'! You stuck with it! I'm talking about those complaining little wusses that can't hack it......;)

garciap77
04-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........................If not for illegal aliens the service industry would be hurting big time!

Something has to give.....................

waterboy
04-19-2010, 04:37 PM
:thinking: Maybe we could all live in communes so we all pitch in on one rental property, have our wives cook and clean for us while we're out slaving for peanuts, not pay taxes, and have free medical care!:clap: :D We could save up a bunch of money over the next 25 years, retire, and move to a remote Mexican beach, grow our own hooch, and act like we're Americans....:smoker:

garciap77
04-19-2010, 04:39 PM

This is truly sad.

We hired a young man with some experience and no degree @ $25 / hr plus benefits. He only lasted two months! My job is the easiest I have ever had in my life. I just don’t get it!

garciap77
04-19-2010, 04:39 PM
:thinking: Maybe we could all live in communes so we all pitch in on one rental property, have our wives cook and clean for us while we're out slaving for peanuts, not pay taxes, and have free medical care!:clap: :D We could save up a bunch of money over the next 25 years, retire, and move to a remote Mexican beach, grow our own hooch, and act like we're Americans....:smoker:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

LE Dad
04-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
We hired a young man with some experience and no degree @ $25 / hr plus benefits. He only lasted two months! My job is the easiest I have ever had in my life. I just dont get it! LOL, My ex employee told me he could make more doing lawncare.:doh: Hmmm working in an airconditioned office with a chance to advance into management within 8-12 months and make 40-50,000 a year... Yeah, go mow a yard. I am sure they offer 401K.:thinking:

garciap77
04-19-2010, 08:45 PM
LOL, My ex employee told me he could make more doing lawncare.:doh: Hmmm working in an airconditioned office with a chance to advance into management within 8-12 months and make 40-50,000 a year... Yeah, go mow a yard. I am sure they offer 401K.:thinking:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/fastmower.jpg

If he lawncares like this guy; he might have a chance!

LE Dad
04-19-2010, 08:51 PM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/fastmower.jpg

If he lawncares like this guy; he might have a chance!

:D :clap: :clap: You crack me up Garcia.

garciap77
04-19-2010, 08:59 PM
:clap: :clap: You crack me up Garcia.

I heard at the Whataburger in Early, that he was making 200K! :D

BullsFan
04-19-2010, 11:53 PM
What are you? A teacher?:clap: :D That's what it sounds like..... I know, I'm married to one...:clap:

You are correct!! :) What does your wife teach?

Pick6
04-20-2010, 06:46 AM
LOL, My ex employee told me he could make more doing lawncare.:doh: Hmmm working in an airconditioned office with a chance to advance into management within 8-12 months and make 40-50,000 a year... Yeah, go mow a yard. I am sure they offer 401K.:thinking:

He maybe right. A friend of mine worked at Peterbilt making around $25 an hour. Quit that and opened his own lawn care and is making more now. He moved his retirement to somewhere else and still contributes.

waterboy
04-20-2010, 07:30 AM
You are correct!! :) What does your wife teach?
She moved to first grade this year after teaching 4th grade for several years......:thinking: At the first of the year she had 26 kids. They didn't split her class until the Christmas break, so she was having an extremely tough time then....almost to the point she wanted to throw in the towel. Everything seems to be MUCH better now, though.........imagine that!;) She still brings a lot of work home with her, and probably works a couple of hours a night at home, more than that on weekends, plus she tutors after school three days a week......:clap: Needless to say, I have an appreciation for what teachers do compared to before I met her.

What do you teach?

turbostud
04-20-2010, 07:45 AM

Tell them fellers we have some hay to haul over here in East Texas! I also know a feller that delivers sheet rock.....:evillol: How about some landscaping jobs? I've got some 8"x8"x 12' crossties that need to be stacked and leveled....:devil: I also know some drilling rigs that need some "worms".....

I used to haul hay when I was in high school and its tough. I also had a playset put in for my daughter and thought I would do a little landscaping around it. I put a border around it, laid down some weed blocker and covered it in red mulch. After 1 day of landscaping I told my wife I would never want to do that for a living. Its tough, back breaking work.

Farmersfan
04-20-2010, 07:49 AM
She moved to first grade this year after teaching 4th grade for several years......:thinking: At the first of the year she had 26 kids. They didn't split her class until the Christmas break, so she was having an extremely tough time then....almost to the point she wanted to throw in the towel. Everything seems to be MUCH better now, though.........imagine that!;) She still brings a lot of work home with her, and probably works a couple of hours a night at home, more than that on weekends, plus she tutors after school three days a week......:clap: Needless to say, I have an appreciation for what teachers do compared to before I met her.

What do you teach?

Teachers are sooooo underpaid!!!!! Almost as much as me!!!!

turbostud
04-20-2010, 07:53 AM
As a GM of a major Resturaunt chain I saw labor issues in every single market I worked in for 12 years. In Sherman Tx I could hire 10 people a day but very few of them were worth the time and most didn't last more than a week. In Midland Tx I got about 2 applications a month and most turned down my wage offer. In Flagstaff Arizona all I could hire were Native Americans who didn't care if they worked or not and college students from NAU who required every single holiday off. People don't work! Minimum wagers think they should have working conditions like CEOs or Managers. If not for illegal aliens the service industry would be hurting big time!

If you work for a major restaurant chain, how do you get away with hiring illegals? Its virtually impossible to hire them unless your HR department doesnt follow the rules.
I used to be a manager at Luby's and we would be in deep $%^& if we hired an illegal.

waterboy
04-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Teachers are sooooo underpaid!!!!!
Amen to that! People who don't believe that don't have a clue what teachers do, nor know what they have to put up with.

Farmersfan
04-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
If you work for a major restaurant chain, how do you get away with hiring illegals? Its virtually impossible to hire them unless your HR department doesnt follow the rules.
I used to be a manager at Luby's and we would be in deep $%^& if we hired an illegal.

I worked for Furrs Cafeterias for 12 years from 86' to 98'. And I NEVER hired any illegals.....:D :D :D

Seriously, all we were required to do was fill out the I-9 form and visually inspect the documents. As long as nothing was out of the ordinary we were ok. Occasionally I would get a message from HR that a Social Security number for Julio would come back as belonging to a Barbara Somebody in New York but normally all I had to do was question Julio about it and he would never show back up for work.

BullsFan
04-20-2010, 08:20 AM
What do you teach?

I teach fourth grade, plus I tutor after school twice a week. During tax season I work nights and weekends at H&R Block as the night manager, and I teach summer school during the summer as well. Plus for the last year I've provided childcare on Sunday nights for a church small group. So yeah, I think you could say I'm someone who really wants to work. ;)

BullsFan
04-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Amen to that! People who don't believe that don't have a clue what teachers do, nor know what they have to put up with.

SO very true!! This is why I get so irritated when people make snide remarks about teachers and vacation time or other silly stuff. You have to live in a teacher's shoes (or with a teacher) to truly understand what all goes into it.

Farmersfan
04-20-2010, 09:16 AM
SO very true!! This is why I get so irritated when people make snide remarks about teachers and vacation time or other silly stuff. You have to live in a teacher's shoes (or with a teacher) to truly understand what all goes into it.

I have often wondered why so many people would want to work in a profession that is so "underpaid" and "overworked"?

waterboy
04-20-2010, 09:39 AM
I have often wondered why so many people would want to work in a profession that is so "underpaid" and "overworked"?
....Because that's what most of them actually WANTED to do for a living. It's a noble profession, and not for just anybody. That's for sure...:clap:

BullsFan
04-20-2010, 09:55 AM

Well if people stick with a job where they are overworked and underpaid, it's clearly a job that they love and something that gives them fulfillment and a sense of purpose. I feel like my job is a calling and not just a job, and honestly I feel like my job is the most important job on the planet. If it wasn't for me and my colleagues doing our job well, then the rest of you wouldn't be half as prepared to do your jobs well. :)

And thank you, waterboy. Your wife would certainly be proud. :)

waterboy
04-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Well if people stick with a job where they are overworked and underpaid, it's clearly a job that they love and something that gives them fulfillment and a sense of purpose. I feel like my job is a calling and not just a job, and honestly I feel like my job is the most important job on the planet. If it wasn't for me and my colleagues doing our job well, then the rest of you wouldn't be half as prepared to do your jobs well. :)

And thank you, waterboy. Your wife would certainly be proud. :)
I salute you, my wife, and all the hardworking teachers! I have a FULL appreciation for what y'all do, and what y'all have to put up with!:clap: :clap:

CenTexSports
04-20-2010, 11:34 AM
I appreciate what teachers do but they are not under paid. If they were they would quit and find a job that pays better. I don't think teachers understand the concept of supply and demand. They pay of 98% of all jobs is set on how much it takes to fill empty positions. People that want to teach know the pay before they go to college and get their degree.

Pay levels are not set on how hard the job is or how good someone is at the job. Where they are paid within the range are affected by both of the above but that is all.

I am sooooo tired of having teachers whine about the pay.

BTW: I have made 6 figures the last 15 years and am now unemployed. I am considering getting an alternative teaching certificate so I can teach until I retire.

garciap77
04-20-2010, 12:14 PM

I warned my daughter about the "underpaid" and "overworked", but she said’ “that’s what I want to do”! She seems to be very happy being a teacher! She tells my wife and I that she really loves her kids

garciap77
04-20-2010, 12:15 PM
I worked for Furrs Cafeterias for 12 years from 86' to 98'. And I NEVER hired any illegals.....:D :D :D

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................

:lies:

;)

BullsFan
04-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I appreciate what teachers do but they are not under paid. If they were they would quit and find a job that pays better. I don't think teachers understand the concept of supply and demand. They pay of 98% of all jobs is set on how much it takes to fill empty positions. People that want to teach know the pay before they go to college and get their degree.

Pay levels are not set on how hard the job is or how good someone is at the job. Where they are paid within the range are affected by both of the above but that is all.

BTW: I have made 6 figures the last 15 years and am now unemployed. I am considering getting an alternative teaching certificate so I can teach until I retire.

Teachers are absolutely underpaid. There are no other degreed professions that pay anywhere near as low as teacher pay. This doesn't even take into consideration the evenings and weekends that we aren't paid for at all. What you don't understand is that our love for our jobs and our children and the fulfillment and satisfaction we find daily are more important to us than pay. THAT is why we don't all quit and find higher-paying jobs. And the people who don't find that fulfillment and job satisfaction are the ones who do quit, usually within the first five years.

I will be quite anxious to hear from you after you get your certificate and go to work as a teacher. I'm betting you'll be singing a different tune once you're on the other side of the desk. You really have no idea what you're talking about. Whining? Pfft.

BullsFan
04-20-2010, 12:46 PM
I warned my daughter about the "underpaid" and "overworked", but she said’ “that’s what I want to do”! She seems to be very happy being a teacher! She tells my wife and I that she really loves her kids

That's exactly what I mean! I really can't imagine doing anything else. :)

Old Tiger
04-20-2010, 12:48 PM
teachers get to work in A/C

GreenMonster
04-20-2010, 12:51 PM

I agree with teachers not necessarily being under-paid and I am a teacher, but if I were to work in some other field I would be paid more for all of the duties and responsibilities that are levied on me on a daily basis. In other words, I don't think we are under paid but we are definitely on the low end of the spectrum. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I love my job and I know very well that if want to make more money I can always move on. I just also feel like a big part of my pay that isn't measured in dollars and cents is the gratification that I get from my students in return for my hard work. When you look at how important an education is in this country in this day and age you would think that a highly qualified teacher with a four year degree and teacher training that almost adds up to a masters degree all completed prior to ever setting foot in a classroom would be compensated in accordance with the importance of the job. We in this country like to pay lipservice to the importance of education and wonder why our students are falling behind students in other countries, but the simple fact is that if you want to be the best you must have the best and the best cost money. Every year good teachers move on to other industries because they can work shorter days with greater income possibilities. Every year we lose experienced teachers because they are non-renewed simply because the number years they have put in have made them too costly for the district to continue paying them when they can hire a young teacher for half the cost but how do you replace the years of experience? The true problem with education is that it is government run and competition is not allowed to occur. It's not like you can take your services elsewhere and get a big pay raise because all schools base their pay off of what the government tells them to pay. I may make a couple hundred more here or there, but for the most part teacher pay is controlled by the government.

waterboy
04-20-2010, 12:56 PM

You obviously know nothing about the teaching profession and all the new mandates, nor the kids of those so-called "parents" who are apathetic and/or don't believe in disciplining their child. I'll bet you think it's the teachers' faults that a lot of those kids are failing, too. :rolleyes: They are NOT overpaid! And most of the true teachers are there because it's what they wanted to do, knowing full well they would never get rich doing it. I am one of those tired of all those clueless whiners that say that teachers are overpaid!:thmbdwn: No progress will be made with work conditions, pay, and educational mandates if this type of clueless apathy continues. Children are the ones that are suffering, and isn't that what really matters?

Reds fan
04-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
The true problem with education is that it is government run and competition is not allowed to occur. It's not like you can take your services elsewhere and get a big pay raise because all schools base their pay off of what the government tells them to pay. I may make a couple hundred more here or there, but for the most part teacher pay is controlled by the government.

Bingo! Great post! I would venture to say that teachers at private schools are better compensated, as teachers at private schools are paid based on performance and ability.

BullsFan
04-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
teachers get to work in A/C

Only when it works. ;)

DDBooger
04-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Bingo! Great post! I would venture to say that teachers at private schools are better compensated, as teachers at private schools are paid based on performance and ability. Not really, historically private school teachers have always been paid less. In order to compete with smaller pools of well qualified teachers, private schools have had to increase pay. Of course their is the elite level of the spectrum, boarding schools and preparatory which pay is higher, but due to large endowments and alumni.

Old Tiger
04-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Only when it works. ;) I always thought it was funny when you were in a teachers room and their A/C was controlled by a teacher in a separate adjoining room...they'd get so frustrated.

BullsFan
04-20-2010, 01:33 PM
I always thought it was funny when you were in a teachers room and their A/C was controlled by a teacher in a separate adjoining room...they'd get so frustrated.

I once worked in a district where the AC was controlled at the ad building. We got sensors but could not make any changes to the set temperature. So we used bags of ice for when it got too cold and mug warmers to get the AC to come on. Only one teacher forgot to take the mug warmer off her sensor when she went to lunch, prompting a panicked call from the ad building about the classroom that was sitting at 150 degrees. :D :D :D

CenTexSports
04-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Once again, the people that want the teachers to make more money react with emotion and stories on how hard they work. I have no doubt that all of this is true. However, that is not what drives pay. Having workied in manufaturing most of my life, it is the guys that work the hardest that make the least. They are also the easiest to replace.

As I said earilier, I quit my job (probably a stupid move) but the number of people with my skill sets is limited. It took almost nine months for the company to find a qualified replacement. As a plant manager, I was responsible for knowing all of the jobs, training new hires in environmental, personnel, company procedures, and many other topics. I was responsible for all all production, QA, and shipping.

If you want to make more money, find a job that is specialized. Then look around, if there are 10 people waiting for your job, then the pay will probably not be very good.

I respect teachers and their role in everyone's life. The key to remember is supply and demand (that is the driving force for pay in our society).

Old Tiger
04-20-2010, 01:57 PM
I once worked in a district where the AC was controlled at the ad building. We got sensors but could not make any changes to the set temperature. So we used bags of ice for when it got too cold and mug warmers to get the AC to come on. Only one teacher forgot to take the mug warmer off her sensor when she went to lunch, prompting a panicked call from the ad building about the classroom that was sitting at 150 degrees. :D :D :D Sweet they created a 3rd world country classroom! lol

BullsFan
04-20-2010, 01:59 PM
The key to remember is supply and demand (that is the driving force for pay in our society).

But pay is not the key for every job, and that's what you don't understand. Like I said, you go get your teacher's certificate and then come and visit this topic again. Maybe then you'll understand that teaching isn't like working at a plant.

BullsFan
04-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Sweet they created a 3rd world country classroom! lol

That's what it felt like! ;)

garciap77
04-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Bingo! Great post! I would venture to say that teachers at private schools are better compensated, as teachers at private schools are paid based on performance and ability.

The teachers that I know, who work at private schools, do not get pay more than teachers in public schools. I always thought they got paid more!:confused:

waterboy
04-20-2010, 04:31 PM
My wife actually taught at a private school a couple of years. She liked it because the students were very disciplined, and their parents were real parents, but the pay was at least 30% less than what she was making in public schools. Needless to say, she went back to teaching in public schools.

garciap77
04-20-2010, 04:35 PM
My wife actually taught at a private school a couple of years. She liked it because the students were very disciplined, and their parents were real parents, but the pay was at least 30% less than what she was making in public schools. Needless to say, she went back to teaching in public schools.

That's the same thing my friends told me!

ssgmp5150
04-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Oh yes there is ! My wife has a college degree and works in mental health! That is a career field that the pay sucks in! Trust me! Teacher's actually get paid rather well in my opinion! Most of them make more money than I do and I have a college degree as well.

:lies:

;)

Farmersfan
04-21-2010, 08:12 AM
But pay is not the key for every job, and that's what you don't understand. Like I said, you go get your teacher's certificate and then come and visit this topic again. Maybe then you'll understand that teaching isn't like working at a plant.

And this was the response I was fishing for in my statement about so many people wanting to be teachers. It is very, very rare indeed that a person can be in a career that pays them well and gives them personal satisfaction, benefits and great working environment. In a perfect world we all would make what we think we deserve. But in the real world you are paid what it takes to get the job done.
Bullsfan, do you believe the educational system would be BETTER if teachers were paid more?

DDBooger
04-21-2010, 08:48 AM
And this was the response I was fishing for in my statement about so many people wanting to be teachers. It is very, very rare indeed that a person can be in a career that pays them well and gives them personal satisfaction, benefits and great working environment. In a perfect world we all would make what we think we deserve. But in the real world you are paid what it takes to get the job done.
Bullsfan, do you believe the educational system would be BETTER if teachers were paid more? It would be better if parents cared.

BullsFan
04-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Bullsfan, do you believe the educational system would be BETTER if teachers were paid more?

You know, honestly I don't know. On the one hand, it'd be easier to keep the best and the brightest if pay was more compensatory. But then again I don't know if people who stick with it for the pay are the people I want in charge of our children. People in classrooms have to be in classrooms because they love children and because they're good at what they do. I find the idea of merit pay insulting, because the implication that more pay makes me a better teacher is insulting. It's not like I'm sitting in my classroom painting my nails and eating bonbons now, and if more money were offered I'd jump up and do a good job.

But it's also misleading to say that teachers have "personal satisfaction, benefits and great working environment". We do (or I do) derive great personal satisfaction from our jobs, but the benefits are not the best (especially after Rick Perry and the legislature cut our health care stipend), and the working environment depends a great deal on outside factors such as administration, parents, bureacracy, and a whole lot of other things that have nothing to do with education. As I said, the idea that I'd do better work for more money is insulting, but at the same time getting adequate pay--and by adequate, I mean enough to ensure that I didn't have to take all those other jobs just to make ends meet--is not too much to ask.

Farmersfan
04-21-2010, 09:35 AM
You know, honestly I don't know. On the one hand, it'd be easier to keep the best and the brightest if pay was more compensatory. But then again I don't know if people who stick with it for the pay are the people I want in charge of our children. People in classrooms have to be in classrooms because they love children and because they're good at what they do. I find the idea of merit pay insulting, because the implication that more pay makes me a better teacher is insulting. It's not like I'm sitting in my classroom painting my nails and eating bonbons now, and if more money were offered I'd jump up and do a good job.

But it's also misleading to say that teachers have "personal satisfaction, benefits and great working environment". We do (or I do) derive great personal satisfaction from our jobs, but the benefits are not the best (especially after Rick Perry and the legislature cut our health care stipend), and the working environment depends a great deal on outside factors such as administration, parents, bureacracy, and a whole lot of other things that have nothing to do with education. As I said, the idea that I'd do better work for more money is insulting, but at the same time getting adequate pay--and by adequate, I mean enough to ensure that I didn't have to take all those other jobs just to make ends meet--is not too much to ask.

And I would agree that we need a system in place where the "Good" teachers get paid better but unfortunately a wage increase for teachers would also increase the pay of all the average to poor teachers out there. It's the same in my Government job. Everyone gets the same raise amount if they complete the exact same objectives. There is no longer such a thing as getting more money for doing an exceptional job.

PPSTATEBOUND
04-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Everyone gets the same raise amount if they complete the exact same objectives. There is no longer such a thing as getting more money for doing an exceptional job.

Its Social justice.:eek:

big daddy russ
04-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Private schools all depend on the school. Most private schools pay between $20k-$35k for teachers. I was actually offered a job at a local private school for $23k.

On the other hand, I know a teacher with three years' experience who works at a public school in the Cy-Fair school district who makes $50k+.

But some higher-end private schools pay their teachers really well. If you can land a job at Strake Jesuit in Houston, you'll be pulling in $70k a year. However, that's definitely not the norm. Strake is a high-end, expensive college preparatory with tons of donors who are generally among the most wealthy in Houston.

BullsFan
04-21-2010, 10:45 AM
And I would agree that we need a system in place where the "Good" teachers get paid better but unfortunately a wage increase for teachers would also increase the pay of all the average to poor teachers out there. It's the same in my Government job. Everyone gets the same raise amount if they complete the exact same objectives. There is no longer such a thing as getting more money for doing an exceptional job.

How do you measure good teachers vs. bad teachers? Generally in education good teachers get "rewarded" by being assigned the neediest kids, ie kids with academic, behavioral, or home problems, so it's not fair to use test scores or some other objective number. That leaves subjective measures like principal appraisals or word of mouth. It's not like an industry where we're all given the same raw material to work with. Even though we all know who the good teachers are, it's really hard to make that official in any way.

GreenMonster
04-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Once again, the people that want the teachers to make more money react with emotion and stories on how hard they work. I have no doubt that all of this is true. However, that is not what drives pay. Having workied in manufaturing most of my life, it is the guys that work the hardest that make the least. They are also the easiest to replace.

As I said earilier, I quit my job (probably a stupid move) but the number of people with my skill sets is limited. It took almost nine months for the company to find a qualified replacement. As a plant manager, I was responsible for knowing all of the jobs, training new hires in environmental, personnel, company procedures, and many other topics. I was responsible for all all production, QA, and shipping.

If you want to make more money, find a job that is specialized. Then look around, if there are 10 people waiting for your job, then the pay will probably not be very good.

I respect teachers and their role in everyone's life. The key to remember is supply and demand (that is the driving force for pay in our society). No emotion in my response other than the fact that I truly love my job and the kids that make my job a reality. I'm sure that demand and worker availability do play a large role in driving pay, without a doubt, but for some strange reason the State of Texas is continually claiming a large shortage of teachers in the state nearing the 100,000 mark. If the state is short on teachers by close to 100,00 wouldn't you think that would influence pay? It hasn't, at least not in recent years. That's just it, the government controls teacher pay and that's just the way it is. It's not a free market and competition is frowned upon, therefore teacher pay is held down. I'm not upset about it, I know that I can go look for a job elsewhere and I knew what the pay would look like before I got in, but like I said earlier I love my job and I'm willing to do it as long as I can feed my kids, keep a roof over their head, and have the satisfaction of knowing that I make a difference in kids lives.

GreenMonster
04-21-2010, 11:12 AM
How do you measure good teachers vs. bad teachers? Generally in education good teachers get "rewarded" by being assigned the neediest kids, ie kids with academic, behavioral, or home problems, so it's not fair to use test scores or some other objective number. That leaves subjective measures like principal appraisals or word of mouth. It's not like an industry where we're all given the same raw material to work with. Even though we all know who the good teachers are, it's really hard to make that official in any way. That is a very true post. I am not at all in favor of the "teacher accountability" movement because of this very fact.

gordo
04-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Anyone can do what most of you do for a living. Teaching is a calling.

GreenMonster
04-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by gordo
Anyone can do what most of you do for a living. Teaching is a calling. I'd say that's pretty correct, but not just anyone can do it well. There are good teachers and bad teachers though. I never claimed to be irreplaceable but I try my dangest to make sure they'll know it when I'm gone.

garciap77
04-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
No emotion in my response other than the fact that I truly love my job and the kids that make my job a reality. I'm sure that demand and worker availability do play a large role in driving pay, without a doubt, but for some strange reason the State of Texas is continually claiming a large shortage of teachers in the state nearing the 100,000 mark. If the state is short on teachers by close to 100,00 wouldn't you think that would influence pay? It hasn't, at least not in recent years. That's just it, the government controls teacher pay and that's just the way it is. It's not a free market and competition is frowned upon, therefore teacher pay is held down. I'm not upset about it, I know that I can go look for a job elsewhere and I knew what the pay would look like before I got in, but like I said earlier I love my job and I'm willing to do it as long as I can feed my kids, keep a roof over their head, and have the satisfaction of knowing that I make a difference in kids lives.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

SintonFan
04-21-2010, 12:52 PM
No one gets a discount anymore. They claim you do, but by the time they are done the employees are getting screwed just as bad as the next guy.

How much are they and what size?
I have a vehicle that only the reverse works.:doh:

JJWalker
04-21-2010, 02:20 PM

This is truly sad.

... like they rolled in the wrong direction? ;)

garciap77
04-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by JJWalker
... like they rolled in the wrong direction? ;)

LOL