PDA

View Full Version : To you "youngsters"

LH Panther Mom
04-18-2010, 07:44 PM
I got this in an email. :D

If you are 40, or older, you might think this is hilarious!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... Barefoot... BOTH ways… yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in heck I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it! But now that I'm over the ripe old age of 40, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a darn Utopia! And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the darn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our butts! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car.. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby! Dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a damn call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". OH MY GOD !!! Think of the horror...not being in touch with someone 24/7!!! And then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right. Please! You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent...you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your screen guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen...Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your butt and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!! NO REMOTES!!! Oh no, what's the world coming to?!?!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-finks!

And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!

And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were lucky, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place! See! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1970 or any time before!

Regards,
The Over 40 Crowd :D

PutMeInCoach
04-18-2010, 08:30 PM
I so agree!

WOS87
04-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Ugh! I feel so old right now.... :doh:

My Christmas present in 1978 was a Color TV with Cable!! We were able to get more than 3 channels for the first time ever.... lol

hawkfan
04-18-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm only 30 and all that applies to me.

LH Panther Mom
04-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by WOS87

My Christmas present in 1978 was a Color TV with Cable!! We were able to get more than 3 channels for the first time ever.... lol
:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: Christmas 1978, I had been out of high school for 1-1/2 years. :p

Rabid Cougar
04-18-2010, 09:09 PM
I "was" the TV Switcher.

bobcat4life
04-18-2010, 09:13 PM
as a teenager, I have to agree....

but Im not your average teenager either

WOS87
04-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: Christmas 1978, I had been out of high school for 1-1/2 years. :p

I was 9 :p

...and had been out of high school for 1-1/2 years as well....

ok... j/k. But my school (Oates) was literally 200 yards from WO-S West Campus and I had to walk down Newton Street to meet my sisters at the high school who gave me a ride home.

sinton66
04-18-2010, 09:37 PM
I remember when NO ONE had a pool in their backyard. Only the larger cities had community pools. We used a wide swimming hole in Chiltipin creek and an occasional irrigation tank when the owners would let us. We all had summer jobs too.

Old Tiger
04-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I remember when NO ONE had a pool in their backyard. Only the larger cities had community pools. We used a wide swimming hole in Chiltipin creek and an occasional irrigation tank when the owners would let us. We all had summer jobs too. when you were a kid the wheel and fire were the top items huh?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-18-2010, 09:52 PM

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... Barefoot... BOTH ways… yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in heck I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it! But now that I'm over the ripe old age of 40, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a darn Utopia! And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the darn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our butts! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car.. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby! Dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a damn call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". OH MY GOD !!! Think of the horror...not being in touch with someone 24/7!!! And then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right. Please! You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent...you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your screen guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen...Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your butt and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!! NO REMOTES!!! Oh no, what's the world coming to?!?!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-finks!

And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!

And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were lucky, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place! See! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1970 or any time before!

Regards,

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/45/140662940_70cb910952.jpg

coach
04-18-2010, 10:54 PM

Regards,

you complain too much

coach
04-18-2010, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END

this is the one time i applaud you gary :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

skins4life
04-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
I "was" the TV Switcher.

I was the TV "tuner". Had to turn the antenna to the South for the Austin channels, to the East for the Temple channels, and the the NE for the Waco channels. And we only got 3 channels.

garciap77
04-19-2010, 08:08 AM

LOL

garciap77
04-19-2010, 08:10 AM

:iagree:

We need to get this back!:D

Farmersfan
04-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Well considering most of us now use all these modern marvels of technology as much as most teenagers do, I guess a 70 year old could say these exact same things about us compared to how they had to live in their 40's! Or is it JUST teenagers that have it better now????? :D

NastySlot
04-19-2010, 09:00 AM
any old timers remember pay phones? remember how if you walked up to a bank of about 2,3 or 4 to use one the person using the one next to you would turn away for privacy.......now with cell phones people don't care too much for privacy and talk out loud any and everywhere.

how about now parents arguing that there children need to have thier cell phone on during class so they can reach them........in my day a call to office and a note delievered to class was good enough.

Farmersfan
04-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
any old timers remember pay phones? remember how if you walked up to a bank of about 2,3 or 4 to use one the person using the one next to you would turn away for privacy.......now with cell phones people don't care too much for privacy and talk out loud any and everywhere.

how about now parents arguing that there children need to have thier cell phone on during class so they can reach them........in my day a call to office and a note delievered to class was good enough.

How about Party lines? I lived in Key West Florida at about age 10 and we had 4 or 5 families sharing a party line. Seemed like every time you picked up the phone someone was gabbing on the other end! You had to ask for time to make a call.

NastySlot
04-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
How about Party lines? I lived in Key West Florida at about age 10 and we had 4 or 5 families sharing a party line. Seemed like every time you picked up the phone someone was gabbing on the other end! You had to ask for time to make a call.

my grandparents lived on ranch when I stayed with them summers they had one of these lines....one in which a certain ring tone or number of rings was yours and all others belonged to someone else.

Pick6
04-19-2010, 09:09 AM

typical young immature response

Bullaholic
04-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Young folks---it is called "right of passage". When you get old and gray, you too can complain about the young folks and long for "the good old days"---and you will. :D

STANG RED
04-19-2010, 09:42 AM
LOL, I hate to admit it but I remember our first phone number, BE456. I have no idea what the BE was even for, you just dialed 456. It was also a party line. Seems like most everyone around here was on a party line in the 60s, and early 70s though.

waterboy
04-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Do y'all remember only having to dial the last four digits of a phone number for a local call? If there were more than one local exchange you had to dial the last digit of the other exchange and then the four digits.......

Dang!:mad: Now y'all are making me fell old!:doh:

ronwx5x
04-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
LOL, I hate to admit it but I remember our first phone number, BE456. I have no idea what the BE was even for, you just dialed 456. It was also a party line. Seems like most everyone around here was on a party line in the 60s, and early 70s though.

Ours was 306J. 306W seemed to always be talking when we needed the line. We had an operator, no dial phones, and you had to ask the operator to place a call. You could actually call the operator and ask to call "Joe Blow", even if you didn't know the number. I remember when dial phones were introduced and my mother, the operator, was out of a job.

I was twelve when we bought our first television. Way out in west Texas, there were no local stations, just cable. That guy made a mint with the monopoly.

At our elementary school there were not enough seats for all students in the cafeteria, so the 5th & 6th grades had to line up and walk 3 blocks to the Jr/Sr high cafeteria. Imagine kids actually walking 3 blocks today! We considered it high adventure, except of course when it rained, which in west Texas is rare.

Farmersfan
04-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Ours was 306J. 306W seemed to always be talking when we needed the line. We had an operator, no dial phones, and you had to ask the operator to place a call. You could actually call the operator and ask to call "Joe Blow", even if you didn't know the number. I remember when dial phones were introduced and my mother, the operator, was out of a job.

I was twelve when we bought our first television. Way out in west Texas, there were no local stations, just cable. That guy made a mint with the monopoly.

At our elementary school there were not enough seats for all students in the cafeteria, so the 5th & 6th grades had to line up and walk 3 blocks to the Jr/Sr high cafeteria. Imagine kids actually walking 3 blocks today! We considered it high adventure, except of course when it rained, which in west Texas is rare.

Hilarious! We had pre-K through 12th grade all in one building and the lunchroom was several hundred yards from the building. All the elementary school kids ate first and the lunch bell would ring for 9th through 12th graders to go to lunch and the mad dash was ON! Many times I saw young (and slow) freshmen get run down like a injuried gazelle in Africa. If you didn't keep up with the flow you had better move to the side or you too would end up as a "Lunch Time Statistic"!

Bullaholic
04-19-2010, 10:24 AM

No rain, but I bet you got dust in your teeth, Ron...:D
I remember living in San Angelo and Sweetwater back in the 50's and the sky would turn red quite often and then the wind would blow hard. Remember seeing those piles of dirt on everything on the windward side.

I remember those 5lb black, rotary dial, Ma bell phones too, ron.

During highschool in the 60's I remember eating lunch at the only McDonalds in Metairie, LA when they had the Golden Arches and the employees wore all white, including a white paper hat. The sign said--"Thousands sold"--:D

I remember when my dad brought home our first transitor radio, put it in his inside coat pocket playing, and none of us could figure out where the music was coming from.

I remember when my older brother ran his Cushman Eagle into the back of a laundry truck (yep--they had em') in the 50's.

I remember walking across the dry, cracked bottom of Lake Nasworthy in the 50's.

I remember watching my dad race his 10hp Willis Rocket outboard racing boat on lakes like White Rock, Nasworthy, and Lake Jacksboro in the 50's.

I remember riding in our 1st air-conditioned, auto trans car back in the 50's. Those cars even had hood ornaments.

I remember being in high school when they announced that JFK had been shot in Dallas.

I remember watching live the first man walk on the moon on TV in 69'.

I remember how close we came to nuclear war with Russia during the Cuban missle crisis in the 60's.

I can remember the rope swing at Cobb's Crossing over the Gabriel in Rockdale and how good that water felt during the summer in the 50's.

NastySlot
04-19-2010, 10:39 AM
i remember when the school lunches were good and they gave you good portions...........I sometimes fill in for another coach at lunch duty it amazes me that these lunches today are considered healthier and supposed to be better........i'd be hungry twenty mins. after lunch if I had to eat lunch now a days...................

did any you others go to a school district where you had fish and hush puppies every friday........that's the way it was for me k-12.

BILLYFRED0000
04-19-2010, 10:46 AM
What I remember is that we had 3 channels to watch on tv and the antenna had to be turned to get two of them. Oh and two of them were abc so really we had two channes with different local news services. we did have voice activated remote control.
MY granddad would say bobby, get up and change over to channel 3 so we can watch the cowboys. And voila the channel was changed(or I would catch 7 kinds of hell).

Farmersfan
04-19-2010, 10:47 AM
We use to take road trips and I honestly can remember getting up in the rear window of the Ford Fairlane and going to sleep. My brother would get the seat, my sister would have to sleep on the hump and I would lay on the back dash! It would get soooooo hot somethimes!

BEAST
04-19-2010, 10:51 AM
i remember when the school lunches were good and they gave you good portions...........I sometimes fill in for another coach at lunch duty it amazes me that these lunches today are considered healthier and supposed to be better........i'd be hungry twenty mins. after lunch if I had to eat lunch now a days...................

did any you others go to a school district where you had fish and hush puppies every friday........that's the way it was for me k-12.

For me it was hamburgers (soy I think) every friday. It still is.

BEAST

STANG RED
04-19-2010, 10:53 AM
I remember us kids being pretty good litter control in those days also. We would walk all over town, picking up coke and beer bottles to turn in for refunds at the grocery stores. Also picked up every ICEE cup we could find, and tore off the little coupons to redeem for prizes. Lots of bottle tops were redeemable for prizes also, so you never passed one up without at least taking a look at it. When you found one worth a quarter on a rare occasion, you thought you'd hit the mother load lol.
Also, how many of you had pull tab belts, hat bands, or any other goofy thing you could think of to make out of them? I must have picked up a million pull tabs.

BILLYFRED0000
04-19-2010, 10:55 AM
I shucked some corn, hauled some hay, picked some beans and occasionally got some new clothes for it. Hey I forgot to say that the antenna we turned was outside the house. I was also the remote antenna tuner.......

NastySlot
04-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I remember us kids being pretty good litter control in those days also. We would walk all over town, picking up coke and beer bottles to turn in for refunds at the grocery stores. Also picked up every ICEE cup we could find, and tore off the little coupons to redeem for prizes. Lots of bottle tops were redeemable for prizes also, so you never passed one up without at least taking a look at it. When you found one worth a quarter on a rare occasion, you thought you'd hit the mother load lol.
Also, how many of you had pull tab belts, hat bands, or any other goofy thing you could think of to make out of them? I must have picked up a million pull tabs.

pull tabs.....interlock them into chains right....man this post reminds me of summers at my grandparents ranch......I used to collect them and interlock them...

BILLYFRED0000
04-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Hey tho you know what used to be fun was catchin a crawdad, then settin your army men up in the trenches and pretend that the crawdad was some great monster and let him rip down the trench trying to get away. after he got away we launch bottle rockets and cherry bombs at whatever was still standing.

Txbroadcaster
04-19-2010, 11:05 AM
I remeber in elementry having a milk break every morning..they would bring milk to the class..you PRAYED u were the first or second class because the milk was COLD..if you were the last it would be lukewarm

ronwx5x
04-19-2010, 11:07 AM
This thread is becoming Maudlin!!!:D

I remember all that also, and then some. We actually had to go to the post office and register for the draft. After a driver's license, this was the next rite of passage to adulthood. My Dad took me and actually seemed proud. He missed WWII due to a hearing problem, so maybe he thought I would make up for it. I got my opportunity in 1967 and still remember the letter congratulating me on being selected by "my fellow countrymen". Fooled them though, and joined the Air force first!:cool:

Txbroadcaster
04-19-2010, 11:10 AM
This thread is becoming Maudlin!!!:D

I remember all that also, and then some. We actually had to go to the post office and register for the draft. After a driver's license, this was the next rite of passage to adulthood. My Dad took me and actually seemed proud. He missed WWII due to a hearing problem, so maybe he thought I would make up for it. I got my opportunity in 1967 and still remember the letter congratulating me on being selected by "my fellow countrymen". Fooled them though, and joined the Air force first!:cool:

Guys stillhave to register..I did it in 93

BILLYFRED0000
04-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I remeber in elementry having a milk break every morning..they would bring milk to the class..you PRAYED u were the first or second class because the milk was COLD..if you were the last it would be lukewarm

Yeah thats right. Oh and you did get paddled at school, then at home if you messed up. How did we ever let that get away not to mention praying in school. None of the buses had ac. Some of our cars did not. My mom wrecked a 63 bug. I remember being hot and trying to sleep in the back seat. I was laying down and the 260 ac was doing(for you youngsters that is 2 windows rolled down at 60 miles per hour) and the next thing I knew I was in the floor boards. Boy was that truck big. My moms ABS(all brakes stomped) just did not cut it.

BILLYFRED0000
04-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Anybody else remember all the salt tablets you could eat at two a days? hahahaha.....

LE Dad
04-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Ha! I don't know if I should feel old or young?? I remember some of this stuff, but barely.:D

44INAROW
04-19-2010, 11:39 AM

I had 2 kids ;)

Old Tiger
04-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I had 2 kids ;) were you still in high school?

44INAROW
04-19-2010, 11:45 AM

exactly.. The cafeteria used to make the BEST food. We also had "fish or meat" Fridays up until Jr High -

44INAROW
04-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
were you still in high school?

I graduated in 76.. ;)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-19-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm seeing a lot of bitterness on this thread from the old timers.

44INAROW
04-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm not bitter - I wouldn't trade the 70's experience for all the tea in China ;)

Old Tiger
04-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I graduated in 76.. ;) I heard that was a good year

PPSTATEBOUND
04-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Awesome.....:)

NateDawg39
04-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Im about to turn 24 and I started complaining about the speed the kids drive when I was 22. I would catch myself saying things like, "use the highway for your race car not my dirt roads ". :mad:

I even stopped a kid one day and gave him a "nice" piece of advice when zooming past my house when I lived in Decatur. ;)

Old Tiger
04-19-2010, 02:30 PM
nm

Farmersfan
04-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Anybody else remember all the salt tablets you could eat at two a days? hahahaha.....

After a full summer of working fulltime and partying fulltime two a days were murder. If you didn't throw up our coach thought you were slacking off. I watch practice these days and throwing up gets you rest and a water break!

mwrams
04-19-2010, 05:54 PM
I love it when folks say they remember things that happened way before their time such as someone 40 years old having to turn the channel before remotes or they remember when man landed on the moon...I'm 55 years old and these things took place when I was a kid! 15 when they landed on the moon! We got out of school early the day Kennedy was killed...

AP Panther Fan
04-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
For me it was hamburgers (soy I think) every friday. It still is.

BEAST

Our "Hamburger Day" was Thursday. I have never cared for tater tots, so when we occasionally got french fries it was a real treat.

On hamburger day they would also give us a frozen icee cup that you had to scrap with a spoon to eat.

:D

Pick6
04-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by mwrams
I love it when folks say they remember things that happened way before their time such as someone 40 years old having to turn the channel before remotes

I'm 40 and we did have to change the channel, usually with a pair of pliers because the knob would break.

LH Panther Mom
04-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I remember being in high school when they announced that JFK had been shot in Dallas.
Dang! You're REALLY old! :D I was 4 and the only thing I really remember was my baby brother was born just a few days before, my Granny was there and celebrated her 50th birthday the day before. Mainly I remember Saturday cartoons being preempted. :(

garciap77
04-19-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm seeing a lot of bitterness on this thread from the old timers.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/massmoon.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

:D

;)

Looking4number8
04-19-2010, 08:19 PM
I remember when my much older brother got the first satlite dish I had ever seen. I think it was in the early 80's. We still had only 3 channels at our house but he had about 50! Each satalite and about 15 or 20 channels and none of it had to be paid extra for. One you bought the equipment, you watched every thing.

Only catch was when you wanted t change satalites, you had to go outside and crank the dish to the next "mark" while someone inside was yelling (go back just a little) Hell, it was worth every bit of it.

Also saw the very first video ever played on MTV. It was a John Couger Mellowcamp video, I think "Jack and Diane". I loved MTV, now I scream every time I see that crappy station on my TV

Looking4number8
04-19-2010, 08:23 PM

There weren't any freakin' cell phones either.:D

I must correct you... "Get Smart" had a shoe phone!

BullsFan
04-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by mwrams
I love it when folks say they remember things that happened way before their time such as someone 40 years old having to turn the channel before remotes or they remember when man landed on the moon...I'm 55 years old and these things took place when I was a kid! 15 when they landed on the moon! We got out of school early the day Kennedy was killed...

I'm 40, and I clearly remember changing the channels, usually at my dad's behest. We got our first color set when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, and we were so excited to watch The Wizard of Oz when it came on tv. It started in black and white, and we were all terribly disappointed...and then Dorothy stepped out into Oz and it was the most beautiful thing ever!

BullsFan
04-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I remember when my much older brother got the first satlite dish I had ever seen. I think it was in the early 80's. We still had only 3 channels at our house but he had about 50! Each satalite and about 15 or 20 channels and none of it had to be paid extra for. One you bought the equipment, you watched every thing.

Only catch was when you wanted t change satalites, you had to go outside and crank the dish to the next "mark" while someone inside was yelling (go back just a little) Hell, it was worth every bit of it.

Also saw the very first video ever played on MTV. It was a John Couger Mellowcamp video, I think "Jack and Diane". I loved MTV, now I scream every time I see that crappy station on my TV

I remember my aunt and uncle had a satellite back then. It was like 10 feet across or something. It was HUGE!

And actually I think the first video ever played on MTV was "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles. Fairly symbolic, no? Slpybear and I were both watching, I think on a little 13 inch black and white I had back in my bedroom.

NastySlot
04-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8

i thought the first video played on mtv was video killed the radio star by the buggles......am i wrong?

yeah i remember when mtv was all video's and vj's.....martha quinn...yeah.

BullsFan
04-19-2010, 11:58 PM
i thought the first video played on mtv was video killed the radio star by the buggles......am i wrong?

Oh man, I so wanted to be Martha Quinn. I thought she was the coolest girl ever. And I had a HUGE crush on the guy with the big curly hair. Mark Blackman, I think. I remember when MTV used to be about the music and not all the stuff on there now...

NastySlot
04-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Oh man, I so wanted to be Martha Quinn. I thought she was the coolest girl ever. And I had a HUGE crush on the guy with the big curly hair. Mark Blackman, I think. I remember when MTV used to be about the music and not all the stuff on there now...

i so wanted martha quinn.......mtv is crap now....cribs and real world give me a break..... mtv....music television i thought.

Looking4number8
04-20-2010, 07:12 AM

I could be wrong, maybe "jack and Diane" was the first video I ever saw. I am not positive enough to wager any money on it. After all we are talking about 30 years ago and I am not positive what I had for supper on Sunday night

Farmersfan
04-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Day #1 broadcast for MTV:

"Video Killed the Radio Star" by The Buggles - MTV Video
"You Better Run" by Pat Benatar - MTV Video
"She Won't Dance With Me" by Rod Stewart - MTV Video
"You Better You Bet" by The Who - MTV Video
"Little Suzi's on the Up" by Ph.D. - MTV Video
"We Don't Talk Anymore" by Cliff Richard - MTV Video
"Brass in Pocket" by The Pretenders - MTV Video
"Time Heals" by Todd Rundgren - MTV Video
"Take It On the Run" by REO Speedwagon - MTV Video
"Rockin' the Paradise" by Styx - MTV Video

Bearkat
04-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by WOS87

My family had a color TV but no cable. Didn't get cable until I was a senior in high school, which was in 1994.