PDA

View Full Version : Drug Raid at West Columbia High School

mistanice
04-17-2010, 02:26 PM
WEST COLUMBIA — In a scene reminiscent of the old TV show 21 Jump Street, police on Friday arrested 16 students accused of delivering drugs on Brazoria County's Columbia High School campus after an undercover officer posing as a student named “Victor” allegedly bought the goods from them.

The raid, which took place around 9:30 a.m. during fourth-period classes, took everyone by surprise but was conducted efficiently and quietly with the students being called out of their classrooms and to the office, where they were arrested, school officials said.

The students were charged with felony offenses alleging they delivered drugs in a drug-free zone. Another student who has moved out of Brazoria County will be arrested later, said Sheriff Charles Wagner.

The drugs, bought by a Columbia-Brazoria Indepen_dent School District under_cover officer during his three-month stint on campus, included *********, cocaine, hydrocodone, Xanax and other prescription drugs, Wagner said.

School district police “had developed information they had a problem over there and decided to do something about it,” Wagner said.

Those arrested ranged from freshmen to seniors, spanning ages from 16 to 19, and included two girls. Five are legally considered adults.

“The school district should be commended for it,” Brazoria County Sheriff's Office Narcotics Lt. Chris Reioux said of the operation. “They brought in the undercover officer and asked for our assistance.”

Friday's raid caused a stir at the school on Texas 36 in West Columbia, where about 860 students are enrolled. Those arrested were suspended from campus for three days. They could face mandatory expulsion, according to the school's code of conduct, said Assistant Superintendent Steven Galloway.

Students said they were shocked by the arrests and supported the police's actions, but at the same time said it gives their school a black eye.

Freshman Cassie Dittrich said she has seen drugs being sold on the school campus regularly. “They sell them all the time. They do it right in front of you ... in the bathroom, in the cafeteria ... but nobody wants to tell on them,” she said.

“I think it puts us in a bad light,” she said of the bust, noting that most all of the students there are good kids. “It's a little embarrassing, especially when you know half these people and you go on the Internet and see your friends chained in handcuffs.”

Students began suspecting “Victor” was the undercover officer as soon as Friday's drug bust began, said seniors Justin Newell and Tyler Davis. But up until then, no one had suspected he was not a student.

“No one had no clue — no one at all,” Davis said.

The undercover officer enrolled as a student at the school in January after Christmas break and attended classes, carried books, had a locker and took tests. He remained there until April 9, when the operation ended.

The officer's assignment brought to mind the plot of the Fox TV show 21 Jump Street, which centered on young cops working undercover in schools to catch illicit activity.

Each day after school let out, “Victor” reported to the sheriff's office narcotics division. “People here didn't know who he was and would ask, ‘Who is that kid?'” Reioux said.

The five suspects legally considered to be adults are Michael Lee Sproles, 17, Brandon Scott Lillian, 19, and Carlos Armando Figueroa, 17, all of West Columbia; Claudio Cantu, 18, of Sweeny; and Baleigh Gail Williams, 18, of Brazoria.

Sproles is charged with delivery of or offering to deliver a dangerous drug, a sedative known as promethazine, in a drug-free zone, and Lillian is charged with delivery of a simulated controlled substance, specifically fake cocaine, in a drug-free zone.

Cantu is charged with delivery of ********* in a drug-free zone, and Figueroa and Williams are each charged with delivery of a controlled substance in a drug-free zone. Figueroa is accused of delivering hydrocodone, and Williams is accused of delivering Xanax, Reioux said.

All five went before a judge Friday. Lillian's bail was set at $10,000, likely because he has a prior criminal history; Williams' bail was set at $7,500. The other three adults saw their bail set at $5,000 each.

The juveniles were taken to the Brazoria County Juvenile Detention Center and were expected to see a judge Friday, who will decide if they will be kept in custody or released.

“What we're doing is eliminating the activity,” said Superintendent Carol Bertholf. “There's not a high school in the nation that doesn't have an issue with drugs. We work hard to do what we can to eradicate it and to help students understand that's not an activity they should engage in.

“The opportunity was there.”

Chronicle reporter Dale Lezon contributed to this report. Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6962267.html)

mac77
04-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Old news from yesterday.

And it is not West Columbia High School it is Columbia High School!

ol country boy
04-17-2010, 07:44 PM
I say props to the school officials for doing this. Every school has a problem and they took a proactive stance to try to correct theirs.

More schools should do the same!!!

mac77
04-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by ol country boy
I say props to the school officials for doing this. Every school has a problem and they took a proactive stance to try to correct theirs.

More schools should do the same!!!

Should have seen the news people, hovering around like vultures at a carcass.

44INAROW
04-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by mac77
Old news from yesterday.

And it is not West Columbia High School it is Columbia High School!

not everyone is familiar with the details of the name with the school.. I've seen it several ways, even someone from
"there" has West Columbia Roughnecks as his signature..

mac77
04-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
not everyone is familiar with the details of the name with the school.. I've seen it several ways, even someone from
"there" has West Columbia Roughnecks as his signature..

Even the article that is quoted has it as Columbia High School. It may be located in the city of West Columbia, it is still Columbia High School. The district serves two different communities, WC and Brazoria, plus a large rural area that stretches from the mouth of the San Bernard River, to the edge of Lake Jackson, and almost to Damon. Hence the name Columbia High School. The other communities tend to get upset when the high school is called West Columbia. FYI for everyone.

"someone from
"there" has West Columbia Roughnecks as his signature."

Scrub C is just being a smart#$%. He also calls Brazoria, "Dumpzoria." All in good fun.

Keith7
04-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Should have seen the news people, hovering around like vultures at a carcass.

too bad all their hard work isn't rewarded because people copy and paste their stories to other sites :(

bobcat4life
04-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Should have seen the news people, hovering around like vultures at a carcass. you sound upset....any chance you were one of the kids arrested and are now embarrassed?

SintonPirateFan
04-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
you sound upset....any chance you were one of the kids arrested and are now embarrassed?

had $50 and now nothing to spend it on...

44INAROW
04-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
too bad all their hard work isn't rewarded because people copy and paste their stories to other sites :(

he did include a link.. I missed it the 1st time too, but it's there ;)

Originally posted by mistanice
Chronicle reporter Dale Lezon contributed to this report. Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6962267.html)

Keith7
04-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
he did include a link.. I missed it the 1st time too, but it's there ;)

Why would people click it if they can read the whole thing on here? :p

scrub c
04-18-2010, 07:50 AM

"someone from
"there" has West Columbia Roughnecks as his signature."

Scrub C is just being a smart#$%. He also calls Brazoria, "Dumpzoria." All in good fun.

What??? Me??? huh...

and just how do you pronounce#$% anyway?

mac77
04-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
you sound upset....any chance you were one of the kids arrested and are now embarrassed?

Actually, I was the one trying to get Channel 2's van out of the bus lane so we could get the 869 kids that don't sell drugs home for the day. I just want the news people to come to the campus when there is something positive and pursue it with the same vigor they had on Friday. You know how it goes, "if it bleeds, it leads!"

Rabid Cougar
04-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Beware of students that look like Johnny Depp...

Paratrooper
04-18-2010, 07:00 PM
I am surprised the ACLU hasn't said the students rights were violated?

ol country boy
04-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Actually, I was the one trying to get Channel 2's van out of the bus lane so we could get the 869 kids that don't sell drugs home for the day. I just want the news people to come to the campus when there is something positive and pursue it with the same vigor they had on Friday. You know how it goes, "if it bleeds, it leads!"

Well probs to your school on doing this..

scrub c
04-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Beware of students that look like Johnny Depp...

lol
21 JUMP STREET!!!

Im trying to remember how the song went...

44INAROW
04-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
lol
21 JUMP STREET!!!

Im trying to remember how the song went...

Here you go.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3kwPbjBLgY

LE Dad
04-19-2010, 08:23 AM
My question is....How in the world were they in 4th period at 9:30? :confused:

Good job on drug sting though!:clap: :clap:

baseballcoach13
04-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Mac77 wasnt arrested. Geritol is legal.

LE Dad
04-19-2010, 11:37 AM
too bad all their hard work isn't rewarded because people copy and paste their stories to other sites :( The only reason I am aware of this story is someone cut and pasted it. Otherwise the writers work would be viewed by fewer people.

Keith7
04-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
The only reason I am aware of this story is someone cut and pasted it. Otherwise the writers work would be viewed by fewer people.

wouldn't just a link to the person's website be better? I mean then that person would actually get a little credit for his work

LE Dad
04-19-2010, 11:59 AM
wouldn't just a link to the person's website be better? I mean then that person would actually get a little credit for his work You are probably correct, but I may not take the time to open it. I guess it could go either way.

mac77
04-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by baseballcoach13
Mac77 wasnt arrested. Geritol is legal.

Don't you have some dirt to water!

LE Dad
04-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Don't you have some dirt to water! Pancho?:eek: :eek:

Is that you?:confused: :nerd:

garciap77
04-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Pancho?:eek: :eek:

:thinking:
:thinking: :thinking:
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

mac77
04-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Pancho?:eek: :eek:

Alas, tis only Pancho's trusty steed, Juan Pablo de Jesus.

Footballhudini
04-19-2010, 11:51 PM
this is one of the reasons why i was always extremely careful and NEVER, EVER sold drugs to n00bs in high school.

garciap77
04-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
this is one of the reasons why i was always extremely careful and NEVER, EVER sold drugs to n00bs in high school.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

BullsFan
04-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Footballhudini

Joking about being a drug dealer in high school? Ummm...okay.:rolleyes:

baseballcoach13
04-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Don't you have some dirt to water!

Fixed it for ya

Don't you have some dirt to water?

Don't worry, when I get your age, I will probably have difficulty seeing the little keys on the keyboard too.

And no, no watering is needed today. The man upstairs has watered the dirt for us this week, and we wont have too.

gordo
04-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by baseballcoach13
Fixed it for ya

Don't you have some dirt to water?

Don't worry, when I get your age, I will probably have difficulty seeing the little keys on the keyboard too.

And no, no watering is needed today. The man upstairs has watered the dirt for us this week, and we wont have too.

Well go standaround by the dugout and pick your seat!

baseballcoach13
04-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by gordo
Well go standaround by the dugout and pick your seat!

No need for that either. I have my name on my bucket.