PDA

View Full Version : Navasota people

Johnny Utah
04-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Who got the basketball job??

OldBison75
04-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Patrick Goodman is the pick to be Navasota's next boys basketball head coach, getting the job based on his contributions to the overall Navasota athletic program more than his basketball experience.

The 41-year-old Goodman has spent the last five years as an assistant coach with Navasota's football and track programs. He served as head coach of the powerlifting team for the last three years.

This will be Goodman's first basketball head coaching job. The bulk of his basketball coaching experience came as a varsity assistant at Georgetown from 1996 through 2000.

Goodman was among nine candidates interviewed by Navasota athletic director Lee Fedora. He replaces Donald Wesley, who resigned at the end of the season to spend more time with his family. Wesley took over the program after playing on the Navasota state championship team coached by Mike Dacus.

“I’m excited and a little nervous about replacing the two [coaches] that came before me,” Goodman said. “I’m not worried about my capabilities and having the knowledge to be successful. If I don’t know something, I know where to go find the answers.

“I’m going to stress fundamentals. I know we’ve got some guys who can run and jump. I’m a pay-attention-to-detail guy. I want them to understand the game, when to run and when to get into the half-court offense. I’m going to continue to stress defense.”

Goodman’s promotion is expected to be approved at the next Navasota ISD board meeting April 19.

Fedora interviewed three high school head coaches and three varsity assistants. Among that group was former Bryan High School star Daryl Mason, who recently completed his second season as head coach at Class A Leggett.

“We had some good interviews, and Patrick stood out far ahead,” Fedora said. “Everybody’s on the same page. I think this is a great hire for our basketball program and for our total athletic program. He’s got an unbelievable background and basketball knowledge.”

Goodman graduated from Sweetwater High School. He received a football scholarship to Eastern New Mexico and later spent a year and a half as a walk-on at Texas Tech.

He has previous coaching stints at Mineral Wells, Lubbock Monterey, Georgetown and Brownwood.

For more on the hire, see Saturday’s Eagle. (theeagle.com)

Goodman is a grat guy that is really respected and loved by the kids at Navasota. He has been mentioned as the on staff person that would be most likely to replace Fedora if he was to leave. I think this will be a great hire and that the program will not skip a beat and keep getting better.

HEMOTOXIC
04-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Congrats to Coach Goodman.

And, please don't get me wrong when I say this, but, was Goodman the most qualified applicant for the position? Why didn't Fedora want to name the applicants? Only time will tell.

Coach Charles Wilson has over 25 years of coaching and he is currently the boys JV coach. Coach Wilson started out coaching the Snakettes back in the 80s. He then coached under Mike Dacus and most recently Donald Wesley. IMO, its a slap in the face and insulting to pass up on a great coach.

Daryl Mason, Bryan High product and played at Texas A&M & Louisiana Monroe, is the only coach that has been confirmed to have applied. He lead his team to the state championship in his first two seasons. http://www.brazossports.com/basketball/Navasota-closing-in-on-new-basketball-coach

I am sure there were other qualified applicants who probably have a more proven tract record. Who applied? This is nothing more than a friend (Fedora) giving another friend (Goodman) a job that he might not have been the best person for the position.

I am sure that some will object to this, but, its my OPINION. They will get over it!
:doh: :confused: :thinking: :hand:

LH Panther Mom
04-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Patrick Goodman is the pick

:doh: :doh: :doh: I had to read that again!

OldBison75
04-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Hemotoxic, I agree that there are some questions about the pick, but most of all, Goodman has no head coaching experience in basketball. I also agree that there are some questions about who else might have applied and what they could bring. And, Wilson could no doubt be successful in this program.

I personally think that Goodman will be a good choice and a good fit for the program. I know that he has the respect of the kids and the administration and that will go a long way toward helping him. Plus, Goodman will most likely keep the current assistants in place and that means some continuity. Maybe the colse ties with the administration and AD will translate to the basketball program getting more benefits. The Girls program get to go to the top tournaments because Gates has the record and the ties to admin. Goodman could bring that to the table for the boys too.

HEMOTOXIC
04-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Hemotoxic, I agree that there are some questions about the pick, but most of all, Goodman has no head coaching experience in basketball. I also agree that there are some questions about who else might have applied and what they could bring. And, Wilson could no doubt be successful in this program.

I personally think that Goodman will be a good choice and a good fit for the program. I know that he has the respect of the kids and the administration and that will go a long way toward helping him. Plus, Goodman will most likely keep the current assistants in place and that means some continuity. Maybe the colse ties with the administration and AD will translate to the basketball program getting more benefits. The Girls program get to go to the top tournaments because Gates has the record and the ties to admin. Goodman could bring that to the table for the boys too.

Goodman is a good person. I just question if he is the best person for the position. I wish him and the Rattler staff all the best.

Johnny Utah
04-19-2010, 06:52 AM
Just my opinion, but the other head coaches in that district are licking their chops!! I know nothing about the hire, but I am sure the Ducks, Tigers, Buffs, Hornets, and other Tigers are saying they have a chance now. Interesting hire for sure. Being that Nav has been sooooo successful, I am sure their were some heavy weights who applied. Interesting.

navscanmaster
04-19-2010, 09:18 PM
I was really hoping that Coach Wilson would get the job. He is still the best fit for that position, and could have taken it over easily if Coach Wesley had never wanted it. I am sure Goodman is a good guy; I have heard nothing but good things about him. However, nobody else knows Navasota basketball and the kids like Charles Wilson.

UPanIN
04-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Did coach Wilson want the job?

HEMOTOXIC
04-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by UPanIN
Did coach Wilson want the job?

Of course- he applied. I doubt that he would have applied if he really didn't want the job.

navscanmaster
04-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Of course- he applied. I doubt that he would have applied if he really didn't want the job.

Maybe we could have gotten him to join the board?:thinking: ;)

HEMOTOXIC
04-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Maybe we could have gotten him to join the board?:thinking: ;)

:p

hookandladder
04-21-2010, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Just my opinion, but the other head coaches in that district are licking their chops!! I know nothing about the hire, but I am sure the Ducks, Tigers, Buffs, Hornets, and other Tigers are saying they have a chance now. Interesting hire for sure. Being that Nav has been sooooo successful, I am sure their were some heavy weights who applied. Interesting.

Do not forget about them Leps next year, we will all be in the same District.

UPanIN
04-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC

Didn't have privy to the list.

You should share the list.

mwynn05
04-21-2010, 08:47 PM
WOW is all I can say....I almost promise you some great coaches with head coaching experience applied for this job, not knocking the guy who got it but is a guy who hasnt coached basketball in 10 years (while still coaching mind you) and has never been a head coach gets the job it just makes you wonder whose best interest is in mind here