PDA

View Full Version : High School Game Forfeited After Three Innings, 45-0 Lead

BaseballUmp
04-16-2010, 12:32 PM
A baseball game in Wisconsin was called off after three innings this week when Three Lakes High School rand up a 45-0 lead against Phelps High School.

"It was kind of embarrassing. I feel bad," Three Lakes coach Jeff Liebscher told the local newspaper.

When I see scores like 45-0 in high school sports, I always feel like it's got to be poor sportsmanship on the part of the winning team, and one detail in the local newspaper account -- the fact that Three Lakes stole 11 bases in the first inning -- makes me think this was another such case.

On the other hand, from all indications, the Phelps High School team is just really, really bad.

For one thing, Three Lakes entered the game with a 1-2 record, and lost its previous game 15-0. So this wasn't some powerhouse team beating up on Weak Sisters of the Poor. This was a mediocre team beating up on a team that would probably lose to Weak Sisters of the Poor.

For another thing, Liebscher said he didn't even play all his top players.

"We have starters that didn't even get on the field on defense," Liebscher said. "It could be a long season for (Phelps)."

I'd say so.

The most impressive player for Three Lakes would have to be pitcher Ben Wales, who threw a no-hitter and went 6-for-6 at the plate, hitting for the cycle in the process. Alas, Wales' stats don't count, and neither does the game. The Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association considers this one a forfeit.

Link (http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2010/04/16/high-school-game-forfeited-after-three-innings-45-0-lead/)

LE Dad
04-16-2010, 01:14 PM
:doh: 6-6 in 3 innings. That had to be painful to watch.:dispntd: :dispntd:

rholl
04-16-2010, 01:59 PM
11 stolen bases in one inning may not be excessive.....first 3 batters steal 2 each for a total of 6 and score may only be 3/4-0 by the time you get to you 7 hole hitter you could potentially have more thn 11 steals under your belt. Played a similar game last weekend....after 1 told the ump to "open up" our strike zone..

BaseballUmp
04-16-2010, 03:27 PM
last weekend i called a 10U tourney in CS and I had a 55 minute half inning one game where 5 different pitchers were used...luckily i was not behind the plate

another game that tourney we had a 40 minute half inning...again i was not behind the plate, but if i were you can sure bet there would be a lot of complaining about my strike zone from the winning team lol

buckeyebob
04-17-2010, 04:31 AM
And the Buckeyes ran up the score?