PDA

View Full Version : New NCAAF Rules

BaseballUmp
04-15-2010, 01:32 PM
No more Eye Black with messages on them and no more wedge blocks.

Also starting the next season, any touchdown scored with taunting occuring prior to the score can be disallowed. Not sure what the result of the play will be...penalty do-over maybe?

NateDawg39
04-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Whats wrong with a wedge block?

BaseballUmp
04-15-2010, 01:37 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- Eye black with messages and wedge blocks will be banned from college football this fall, and taunting in the field of play will start costing teams points in 2011.

On Thursday, the NCAA's playing rules oversight panel approved the three rules changes.

The eye black trend grew in popularity because of Heisman Trophy winners Reggie Bush and Tim Tebow.

Bush wrote "619" on his eye-black patches, in reference to the area code for his hometown near San Diego, and Tebow cited Bible passages, such as "John 3:16."

One year after the NFL banned wedge blocking on kickoffs because of safety concerns, the NCAA followed the lead. The new rule says that when the team receiving a kickoff has more than two players standing within 2 yards of one another, shoulder to shoulder, it will be assessed a 15-yard penalty -- even if there is no contact between the teams.

The NCAA has banned eye black messages, such as these worn by Tim Tebow at Florida.
The reason: NCAA studies have shown that 20 percent of all injuries occurring on kickoffs result in concussions.

"Everybody is looking to make sure we have a safe environment for the players," said Grant Teaff, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association. "On kickoffs, you have a lot of steam on both sides and you usually have what is called a 'wedge buster.' This will eliminate some of that."

The hope is it will reduce concussions, an issue that has received greater attention in the past year.

The NCAA deemed it so important that it made a rare rules change in an off-year of the normal two-year process.

But it's the taunting rule that likely will create the biggest buzz.

Currently, players who are penalized for taunting on their way to the end zone draw a 15-yard penalty on the extra point attempt, 2-point conversion attempt or the ensuing kickoff.

Beginning in 2011, live-ball penalties will be assessed from the spot of the foul and eliminate the score. Examples include players finishing touchdown runs by high-stepping into the end zone or pointing the ball toward an opponent.

Celebration penalties following a score will continue to be assessed on conversion attempts or the ensuing kickoff.

"I think one of the reasons it's been looked at is that when a penalty occurs on the field, it's normally taken from the spot," Teaff said. "This was the only occurrence that it wasn't taken from the spot, so they wanted to change that."

Taunting has caused an annual debate among college football players, coaches and fans, and last season's big controversy stemmed from Georgia receiver A.J. Green receiving a 15-year personal foul penalty after he caught a go-ahead touchdown pass late in a game against LSU.

The yardage from the penalty was assessed on the kickoff and helped LSU get into position to drive for the winning score. Southeastern Conference officials said later that there was no video evidence to support the flag on Green.

"The rules committee voted unanimously on this. Let's keep the lid on sportsmanship and prevent that type of demeaning," said Dave Parry, the NCAA's national coordinator of college football officiating. "I recall a play a few years ago where a player turned around at the 10 and teased the opponent with the ball. In the past this would be a penalty assessed on the extra point or kickoffs. Now, it's no touchdown."

Parry said the decision to implement the rule in 2011 gives players and coaches ample advance warning.

"This gives the players a year's notice that we're going to be tougher on sportsmanship. Last year it was mentioned that this could become a possibility," Parry said.

He also predicted the penalty would be called "very rarely."

"If it's close to diving into the end zone, most likely it would be ruled that the act ended while in the end zone. We'll be lenient," Parry said. "It's really if it's really bad, for example, if a guy flips the bird at the 10 or high-steps backwards into the end zone or starts a forward roll at the 3-yard line."

ESPN

sahen
04-15-2010, 01:49 PM
the taunting one is gonna be very controversial...it gives the officials big time control of a game...what if a kid is scoring the game winning touchdown w/ 0:00 on the clock and the official feels the kid taunted on his way in...im not a fan of using a subjective rule to take points off hte board...obviously if they are flipping the bird or something it wont be much of a controversy but we got flagged for taunting this year a baylor when our players gave a high 5 after a big tackle and another one when one guy pointed up to the sky as he was scoring....the last one wouldve been called off and it all depends on teh official and whether he sees it as taunting or not...

gatordaze
04-15-2010, 01:51 PM
"The NCAA has banned eye black messages, such as these worn by Tim Tebow at Florida.
The reason: NCAA studies have shown that 20 percent of all injuries occurring on kickoffs result in concussions."

Are these injured players reading the eye black during the kick off and getting hurt some how?

TheDOCTORdre
04-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
"The NCAA has banned eye black messages, such as these worn by Tim Tebow at Florida.
The reason: NCAA studies have shown that 20 percent of all injuries occurring on kickoffs result in concussions."

Are these injured players reading the eye black during the kick off and getting hurt some how?

if im correct the Tebow line is probably a caption from a picture that didnt translate into the post

sahen
04-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
No more Eye Black with messages on them and no more wedge blocks.

Also starting the next season, any touchdown scored with taunting occuring prior to the score can be disallowed. Not sure what the result of the play will be...penalty do-over maybe?

pretty sure they are going to give the team a 15 yard penalty from the spot of the foul...so if you taunted at the 5 you would get it at the 20...dunno if it would be a loss of down or not...

BaseballUmp
04-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze

Yea there was a pic of tebow and im guessing that first part was a caption under his picture and i just didnt fix it...my bad

gatordaze
04-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Yea there was a pic of tebow and im guessing that first part was a caption under his picture and i just didnt fix it...my bad

I was just kidding. Everyone knows Tebow is'nt even on the kick off team

BaseballUmp
04-15-2010, 02:29 PM
But looking into those eyes even on the sideline is enough to lose focus while on the field lol

GATAPride77
04-15-2010, 03:29 PM
FYI. These are also new rules for Texas HS football.

WestTxschwab
04-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Great for the integrity of the game...

Z-RO
04-16-2010, 04:34 AM
Im cool with the eye black, like Mack Brown said it takes away from the whole team concept.

The wedge block thing is for the players safety, and while I think the game is becoming a sissy sport with all of these rules I dont have a problem with this one.

The taunting rule is just opening up a can of worms waiting for something to go wrong.

TexMike
04-16-2010, 07:11 AM
The wedge blocking rule and the eye black rule go into effect this year. The unsportsmanlike conduct enforcement change goes into effect in 2011.

For everyone who is worried about the unsportsmanlike conduct rule being "subjective", the simple answer is play football and don't do any action that is borderline. Lots (probably MOST) of the rules are "subjective" and we make those calls all the time. Example, runner just has to get by the last DB to have free sailing to the EZ. The DB is locked up with the WR who is blobking him. DId the WR hold? Some might see a hold and flag, thus erasing the score. Others might not see it as a hold and the score stands. This rule change is not much different. We show videos to refs during preseason clinics of what IS and IS NOT considered unsportsmanlike conduct. I suspect there will be even more of that this Summer and next.

DDBooger
04-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by TexMike

For everyone who is worried about the unsportsmanlike conduct rule being "subjective", the simple answer is play football and don't do any action that is borderline. .
what a novel concept! :clap:

sahen
04-16-2010, 11:41 AM
The wedge blocking rule and the eye black rule go into effect this year. The unsportsmanlike conduct enforcement change goes into effect in 2011.

For everyone who is worried about the unsportsmanlike conduct rule being "subjective", the simple answer is play football and don't do any action that is borderline. Lots (probably MOST) of the rules are "subjective" and we make those calls all the time. Example, runner just has to get by the last DB to have free sailing to the EZ. The DB is locked up with the WR who is blobking him. DId the WR hold? Some might see a hold and flag, thus erasing the score. Others might not see it as a hold and the score stands. This rule change is not much different. We show videos to refs during preseason clinics of what IS and IS NOT considered unsportsmanlike conduct. I suspect there will be even more of that this Summer and next.

See Georgia vs. LSU last year for problems that could happen with this rule....and i am a fan of LSU...of course the only argument there is the subjective taunting call actually cost Georgia the game anyway, but atleast they didn't have to score twice to get 2 leads....

Old Tiger
04-16-2010, 12:04 PM
I like the eye black rule(due to Terrelle Pryor's idiocracy) and the wedge rule. I think the taunting rule will ruin the game.

Txbroadcaster
04-16-2010, 12:11 PM

For everyone who is worried about the unsportsmanlike conduct rule being "subjective", the simple answer is play football and don't do any action that is borderline..

Wow..the whole fact it is subjective means a player might not even know WHAT is borderline. What is borderline to one offical wont be to another.

Old Tiger
04-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Wow..the whole fact it is subjective means a player might not even know WHAT is borderline. What is borderline to one offical wont be to another. Terry, you know how that argument is going to go...officials are always right and we don't know nothing because we are not officials.

BaseballUmp
04-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Terry, you know how that argument is going to go...officials are always right and we don't know nothing because we are not officials.
Exactly lol

TexMike
04-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by sahen
See Georgia vs. LSU last year for problems that could happen with this rule....and i am a fan of LSU...of course the only argument there is the subjective taunting call actually cost Georgia the game anyway, but atleast they didn't have to score twice to get 2 leads....

1 call does not "cost a game" any more than 1 missed block or tackle can cost the game. There are over 100 plays in a game. What did they do on the other 99?

Txbroadcaster
04-16-2010, 10:43 PM
1 call does not "cost a game" any more than 1 missed block or tackle can cost the game. There are over 100 plays in a game. What did they do on the other 99?

always thought this is a weak argument. Yes ONE call can cost a game..just like one mistake, one bad coaching decision, one bad throw all can cost a game...you mention the other 99 plays..Well those plays come together to create the situation where one thing good or bad is the deciding factor

TheDOCTORdre
04-16-2010, 11:17 PM
always thought this is a weak argument. Yes ONE call can cost a game..just like one mistake, one bad coaching decision, one bad throw all can cost a game...you mention the other 99 plays..Well those plays come together to create the situation where one thing good or bad is the deciding factor

exactly my line of thinking

TexMike
04-17-2010, 10:05 AM

That is a crock and is a way for someone to "easily" assess blame to what was actually a complicated process that resulted in a final outcome to the contest. When you have 22 players on the field on everyone of @100 plays, and ea player doing multiple things on each play, and add in the coaching decisions prior to and after each play, plus the random bounces of a ball, there are far too many variables to say that 1 thing alone cost a a game. I understand the inherent desire by humans to make things easily explainable but in the case of a football game, it canot be broken down to such an "easy" explanation.

zebrablue2
04-17-2010, 10:18 AM
I like the eye black rule(due to Terrelle Pryor's idiocracy) and the wedge rule. I think the taunting rule will ruin the game.

Please explain yourself on the taunting rule, and why you think it will ruin the game??

LH Panther Mom
04-17-2010, 10:30 AM
It's pretty simple - don't do anything that IS, or can be conceived as, taunting and there's no call-back! Act like you've been there before...

Old Tiger
04-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
It's pretty simple - don't do anything that IS, or can be conceived as, taunting and there's no call-back! Act like you've been there before... This is going to be as inconcistent as the NFL protecting the QB rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKz93sGZQwQ&feature=player_embedded

penalty or not?

ziggy29
04-18-2010, 04:07 PM
I don't see why a 15 yard penalty assessed on the kickoff isn't enough for taunting. Taking points off the board will be arbitrary and silly.

If you want to crack down on it, after the first 15 yard penalty, make the second and subsequent ones subjected to a 15 yard penalty *and* an ejection.

Agreed about LSU-Georgia last year. My first thought was that if the officials could screw up and possibly change a game with that terrible call, what can they do if points can be taken off the board? And when does excessive celebration become "taunting"?

TexMike
04-18-2010, 05:33 PM
I don't get it. Some of you act like there is no other call that can take points off the board. It happens rather routinely, too routinely if you ask some coaches

zebrablue2
04-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
Please explain yourself on the taunting rule, and why you think it will ruin the game??

Old Tiger-- Answer to this question...

Txbroadcaster
04-18-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't get it. Some of you act like there is no other call that can take points off the board. It happens rather routinely, too routinely if you ask some coaches

Because things like Holding, Offensive interfernece and such can directly lead to the TD..A T holding gives the QB a chance to throw the TD and so on...A taunting infraction has NO BEARING on the play

Old Tiger
04-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
Old Tiger-- Answer to this question... Just for the simple fact that you will be taking points off of the scoreboard for a subjective rule and call by an official.

I for one can't wait for this rule to ruin a game so they'll do away with it.

TexMike
04-18-2010, 06:07 PM
The left side flanker goes in long motion to the right side. He is near the right sideline when the ball is snapped and a flag geos down because the linesman thinks the flanker was angling slightly forward when ball was snapped. Meanwhile the QB throws out to the left flat and completes a pas sto the RB who takes it all the way for a score. The foul had NO bearing on the play but the TD is wiped off.

TexMike
04-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Just for the simple fact that you will be taking points off of the scoreboard for a subjective rule and call by an official.

I for one can't wait for this rule to ruin a game so they'll do away with it.

Yeah, the college coaches and ADs who asked for and approved this rule change never thought that might happen. :rolleyes:

Old Tiger
04-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Yeah, the college coaches and ADs who asked for and approved this rule change never thought that might happen. :rolleyes: I see it now...its the final seconds of a game a QB hits a streaking receiver who breaks a tackle and is fist pumping to the endzone and has a sort of high step and he goes into the endzone for the game winning touchdown. But about 10 yards before the endzone lays a yellow flag and the official calls a penalty to his celebrations prior to entering the endzone and the touchdown is now taken off of the scoreboard. And that cost the team the game because a game can end on an offensive penalty.

But what do I know?

TexMike
04-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Well...since you asked...
;)
one thing you don't know is the penalty enforcement. In this scenario, the penalty would be enforced and the offense would get an untimed down. If the defense declined the penalty so the game would end, the score would count

3afan
04-18-2010, 06:35 PM
This is going to be as inconcistent as the NFL protecting the QB rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKz93sGZQwQ&feature=player_embedded

penalty or not?

no

Old Tiger
04-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Well...since you asked...
;)
one thing you don't know is the penalty enforcement. In this scenario, the penalty would be enforced and the offense would get an untimed down. If the defense declined the penalty so the game would end, the score would count bullcrap penalty defense wouldn't decline it because it takes the points off the board because after all it was a game winning touchdown for the team who scored it.

and for the instance i provided for the receiver to be running into the endzone like that would mean there are no defenders within 10-15 yeards

TexMike
04-18-2010, 06:48 PM
And your point is?? In that scenario the penalty WOULD BE enforced and the game WOULD NOT end. The offense would get an untimed down.

Old Tiger
04-18-2010, 06:55 PM
And your point is?? In that scenario the penalty WOULD BE enforced and the game WOULD NOT end. The offense would get an untimed down. lol cause thats fair to the team who scored. A once in a lifetime type play have to be re-done because of a dumb rule.

TexMike
04-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Just like if they had been guilty of illegal motion that had no bearing on the play. It still comes back.

Old Tiger
04-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Just like if they had been guilty of illegal motion that had no bearing on the play. It still comes back. there are no illegal motions or any other penalty on the play except for this.

TexMike
04-18-2010, 07:18 PM
My point is you could have the same play, without the unsportsmanlike conduct but with the illegal motion that has no bearing on the play and the TD is wiped off.

Old Tiger
04-18-2010, 07:22 PM
My point is you could have the same play, without the unsportsmanlike conduct but with the illegal motion that has no bearing on the play and the TD is wiped off. and my point is this rule is going to ruin the game

TexMike
04-18-2010, 07:29 PM
You have not explained how this rule, that will be enforced just like many other fouls, is going to "ruin the game". If it will "ruin the game" to reduce the number of unsportsmanlike conduct acts that occur then maybe your vision of what the game should be is flawed.

Old Tiger
04-18-2010, 07:33 PM
You have not explained how this rule, that will be enforced just like many other fouls, is going to "ruin the game". If it will "ruin the game" to reduce the number of unsportsmanlike conduct acts that occur then maybe your vision of what the game should be is flawed. the game has changed the the type of player of the game has changed from what it was. a lot of unsportsmanlike conduct penalties are borderline but there are some that are blatant.

LH Panther Mom
04-18-2010, 07:37 PM
the game has changed the the type of player of the game has changed from what it was.
Actually, the game was never designed with the players acting the way you prefer. Buth then what do I know. :thinking:

TexMike
04-18-2010, 07:43 PM
the game has changed the the type of player of the game has changed from what it was. a lot of unsportsmanlike conduct penalties are borderline but there are some that are blatant.

And there are blatant holds and borderline holds, but both can wipe out a TD

Txbroadcaster
04-18-2010, 08:46 PM
The left side flanker goes in long motion to the right side. He is near the right sideline when the ball is snapped and a flag geos down because the linesman thinks the flanker was angling slightly forward when ball was snapped. Meanwhile the QB throws out to the left flat and completes a pas sto the RB who takes it all the way for a score. The foul had NO bearing on the play but the TD is wiped off.

That is still a flag on something happening that is PART of the play. Illegal motion is still a play that can still affect the play..The SS might have went with the illegal motion WR, or the LBs shifted to that right side

Sorry but your not going to give me any valid reason why a team should have a TD taken off the board because someone gets a little to happy scoring a TD.

TexMike
04-18-2010, 09:12 PM
As much football as you have likely seen and you are going to deny that there are flags for actions that had NOTHING to do with the ability of a team to score yet the score is erased? It happens all the time. This new rule change, effective in 2011, just adds to the list.

Hey, but you and the others have plenty of time to argue your case with the guys who made this decision and I will be happy to hook you up with them if you wish. Why do you supose they took this action? It couldn't be because they thought unsportsmanlike conduct was starting to get out of control could it? And they are giving everyone a year grace period to get it handled before kicking it in.

I probably see more football film than the average fan (or ref) and I have hardly ever seen an act that will be penalized under this new rule and cost a TD. We have already been told that dives and flips are to be considered "after the score" even if the player dived before the goal line. Therefore, those will nto result in a loss of the score. I have seen 1 player start goosestepping at the 5 or 10. That would be affected by the change. I have seen a few players turn around and stick the ball back towards a pursuing defender. That would be affected. I really can't recall seeing anything else that would be affected.