PDA

View Full Version : Robstown baseball coach resigning

MUSTANG69
04-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Corpus Christi Caller is reporting that Robstown's baseball coach Steve Castro is resigning after this season. He has been at Robstown since 1983.

SintonPirateFan
04-15-2010, 09:14 AM
too bad. he's a heck of a coach....guess he decided he didn't want to be in a place where certain higher ups would try to backdoor him. can't say i blame him.

mustanglonghorn
04-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Great man, Great Coach, he always took the time to talk to me and answer a young coach's questions.......the cotton pickers will never be the same without him

Be_Advised
04-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Being a long time Cotton Picker fan, these last few weeks have been very nerve racking just from the fans view.

There is a lot of animosity towards Coach Castro from many people around the area. Sadly most of it is from his own community, that he has given most of his life to.

This season has been very successful so far on the field, but in the shadows it has been perhaps the darkest ever.

There were rumors that many of the current team members were ready to quit when he got suspended. His suspension divided the team, coaching staff, school, and community.

I am very sad to see Coach Castro retire, he and his teams for the past 25 plus years have been very instrumental in my life.

Good Luck Coach and thanks for the memories.

DDBooger
04-15-2010, 10:20 AM
WOW!!! he was a worthy adversary

MUSTANG69
04-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Be_Advised
Being a long time Cotton Picker fan, these last few weeks have been very nerve racking just from the fans view.

There is a lot of animosity towards Coach Castro from many people around the area. Sadly most of it is from his own community, that he has given most of his life to.

This season has been very successful so far on the field, but in the shadows it has been perhaps the darkest ever.

There were rumors that many of the current team members were ready to quit when he got suspended. His suspension divided the team, coaching staff, school, and community.

I am very sad to see Coach Castro retire, he and his teams for the past 25 plus years have been very instrumental in my life.

Good Luck Coach and thanks for the memories.

It is a sad day when a high school baseball icon like Steve Castro resigns under questionable circumstances. :(

onsideanytime
04-15-2010, 10:27 AM
why was he suspended?

MUSTANG69
04-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by onsideanytime
why was he suspended?

He was suspended for allowing a non-school district employee to throw batting practice prior to the Bobby Gonzalez Tournament in February.

He says he is retiring for health reasons (diabetes).

VWG
04-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
He was suspended for allowing a non-school district employee to throw batting practice prior to the Bobby Gonzalez Tournament in February.

He says he is retiring for health reasons (diabetes).

That's pretty bad if that is all that it was..........