PDA

View Full Version : Some QB lessons by two great late former pro quarterbacks

Phil C
04-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Norm Van Brocklin was a great QB and led the Eagles to the NFL championship in 1960. Johnny Unitas another great QB led the Baltimore Colts to two NFL championships in 1957 and 1958. Remeber the NFL championship was it then before the super bowls.

Van Brocklin said there were three things for a QB to be effective besides the obvious natural talent that he wrote in his book.

One was blocking. If a QB doesn't have time to throw the passing game will be a disaster. I have watched NFL QBs for years and nearly everyone can do a good job for you if they have good protection.

Another thing was good receivers. You have to have them. They need to get open quickly and of course make the catches as that is what they are paid to do.

Another thing he said was a good running attack to take the pressure off of the passing game.

He didn't say it but I also think a good defense is good to bail them out when they do make an interception. All good special teams are good to get field goals and put the offense and defense in good field position.

Johnny Unitas once said in a magazine article (I don't remember the magazine) that time to throw is important. Bear in mind some things may have changed because back then defenses played man to man in pass defense. This was before zone defenses.

He said if he had at least 3 1/2 seconds to find a receiver and pass that he would have a great day. If he had more time so much the better.

If he had from 3 to 3 1/2 seconds he could have a good day but would probably throw a few incomplete passes that should have been complete.

If it was between 2 1/2 seconds to 3 seconds he could still probably have a fairly good day and do a decent job but still would have a few incompleted passes that should have been complete and possibly an interception or two.

If he had less than 2 1/2 seconds then he would have to eat the ball all day. (In todays language that means he would be sacked all day)