PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater boats

bwdlionfan
04-14-2010, 10:32 PM
I went deep sea fishing last summer in the gulf for the first time and I loved it... have grown up a big fan of freshwater fishing... but now that I've tasted saltwater fishing, I'm thinking I want to do it several times a year... but I don't want to spend $500+ to charter a boat every single time I go. Therefore... I'm toying with the idea of buying my own boat. Again I'm just toying right now... can someone tell me specifications I need to look for in a boat to get me around in the gulf... say maybe up to 10 miles out? I don't really want to go very far out. We only went 7 miles out last summer and caught a lot of fish.

big daddy russ
04-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I went deep sea fishing last summer in the gulf for the first time and I loved it... have grown up a big fan of freshwater fishing... but now that I've tasted saltwater fishing, I'm thinking I want to do it several times a year... but I don't want to spend $500+ to charter a boat every single time I go. Therefore... I'm toying with the idea of buying my own boat. Again I'm just toying right now... can someone tell me specifications I need to look for in a boat to get me around in the gulf... say maybe up to 10 miles out? I don't really want to go very far out. We only went 7 miles out last summer and caught a lot of fish.
Charter a boat. It's cheaper.

A lot of it depends on your flexibility. I've been seven miles offshore on an 18' flat bottom aluminum boat, but I wouldn't recommend that on a regular basis. Or any basis, for that matter. The more flexible you are with dates (i.e. if you can watch the offshore conditions on a daily basis and pick up and leave at a moment's notice when conditions are favorable), it opens up a lot more possibilities.

Problem is, the Gulf has a lot of chop and getting out there is better-handled by a deep V or catamaran typically 23' or larger. And that's bare bones, something you don't want to be in when it gets rough. Bottom of the line, you're looking at big money for a boat and big money on gas. Gas alone for an offshore trip will be hundreds of dollars. Maintenance on a boat like that is also enormous. And that doesn't include your reel (offshore reels are big bucks) and everything else.

I know what you mean by "taste of the salt water," though, and I feel you. A buddy of mine and I want to go in together on a large offshore catamaran in the future. Cats are great offshore boats because of their stability and fuel economy, but we need to be making good money to get into something like that.

AP Panther Fan
04-15-2010, 02:05 PM
BDR is absolutely correct about the cost aspects. I think you would be better off chartering if you will only be able to go deep sea fishing a couple of times per year.

We are big fans of bay fishing. My son's boat can be used in the bays and/or lakes...kind of the best of both worlds, so to speak.:)

sinton66
04-15-2010, 09:44 PM
"The two best times in a man's life are when he buys his boat and when he sells it." One thing if you decide to go with your own boat, NEVER venture out into the Gulf with a single engine (especially outboards).

big daddy russ
04-16-2010, 12:27 PM
This will give you an example of what you're looking at...

Sportfishing--Boattrader (http://www.boattrader.com/search-results/Type-Power/Category-Sport%20Fisherman/Zip-77084/Radius-500/Sort-Price:ASC/?sort=1)

Bluewater Boats--Boattrader (http://www.boattrader.com/search-results/Type-Power/Category-Bluewater%20Fishing/Zip-77084/Radius-500/Sort-Price:ASC/?sort=1)

Catamarans--Boattrader (http://www.boattrader.com/search-results/Type-Power/Category-Catamaran%20%28Power%29/Zip-77084/Radius-500/Sort-Price:ASC/?sort=1/)

And this is the one my friend and I want to get...

Glacier Bay 26' Canyon Runner Catamaran (http://www.glacierbaycats.com/show/boats/model/2665_center_console.html)

Right now, though, we're still trying to come up with that $80k. And we'll probably be trying for the next 20-30 years. For us, stability, fuel economy, and smooth ride were important. The Glacier Bay is great at all of it, but can't scream out in the open water. A cat will never top out as fast as a v hull, and this one is particularly heavy, so we'd need a 1-ton pickup or bigger with a diesel if we ever wanted to pull it around. There are the pros on cons on "our" boat.

Iboats.com is a fantastic resource for this stuff. Bluewater's a much larger commitment than freshwater or bay fishing, but if this is something you want I'd highly recommend going over iboats and snooping around. Do your research, think about what's most important to you in a boat (smooth ride, fuel economy, weight of the boat if you want to pull it to and from the coast, the truck you're using if you do that, price, time constraints--getting out there and back can sometimes be half the trip--etc.). The fishing is nothing short of amazing, and most people that get into something like this turn it into a lifestyle. It's spoiled me for freshwater fishing.

I actually have a buddy back home that moved from Southlake, got a taste of bluewater fishing, and decided he wanted a 31' center console. Went out and bought one, turned that into his career.

Another option, if you'd rather save money, is going out on a party boat. It's typically more crowded than a charter, but it's also much cheaper. You can find day trips in the $125/person range.

Just some food for thought. If you have any other questions, we'd all love to help you.

bwdlionfan
04-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks for all the input from everyone!

Saltwater definitely spoiled me of freshwater

Green Bling
04-16-2010, 05:50 PM
I've been a deep sea angler most of my life and have been lucky to have friends with boats. It's WAY cheaper to pay the $500 as often as you want to fish than to buy the boat, rent a slip, pay the fuel (HUGE expense) and upkeep, never mind the $250K+ purchase price for a boat big enough to go out for billfish. I don't get to go out much anymore, but have lots of good fish tales to tell!! Happy Days!!:D :D

Trashman
04-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Boat = Fiberglass or aluminum hole in the water, that you poor money into.....yes i own a fresh water boat.:D

sinton66
04-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Check out the VIP line of boats. I've seen 19 footers out there before. People who own them swear by them. I've only been fishing the intercoastal canal in one, so no experience on one in the gulf for me.

BwdLion73
04-19-2010, 09:53 AM
BOAT: B e
O ut
A nother
T housand

bwdlionfan
04-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Ya'll are making me change my mind!