PDA

View Full Version : USC running back

turbostud
04-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Check out his run at the :50 mark.

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Wi9g-KVaw&feature=player_embedded#!)

coach
04-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Check out his run at the :50 mark.

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Wi9g-KVaw&feature=player_embedded#!)

a la reggie bush vs fresno state

DDBooger
04-14-2010, 03:53 PM
The article on Rivals said the defense was full of walk-ons. Cynical or not. That was a great run.

Old Tiger
04-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
The article on Rivals said the defense was full of walk-ons. Cynical or not. That was a great run. walk-ons....not impressed. Thats like a star runningback in high school breaking a huge run against a JV in practice.

coach
04-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
walk-ons....not impressed. Thats like a star runningback in high school breaking a huge run against a JV in practice.

that does kindof dumb down the run but i still think he has some moves

Z-RO
04-14-2010, 10:43 PM
walk-ons....not impressed. Thats like a star runningback in high school breaking a huge run against a JV in practice.

Exactly

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-14-2010, 10:44 PM

Nothing like it. But the level of competition is lower than the starters.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Nothing like it. But the level of competition is lower than the starters.

A better comparison is like starters for a top ten team against the starters for a middle of the pack or lower squad. There are a lot of walk-ons for USC that could start for other schools I'm sure.

Z-RO
04-15-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
A better comparison is like starters for a top ten team against the starters for a middle of the pack or lower squad. There are a lot of walk-ons for USC that could start for other schools I'm sure.

I know you take personal offense to this seeing as how it somewhat pertains to you, but if they were middle of the pack or lower quality squad type material they would have received a scholarship from one of those type of schools.

Keith7
04-15-2010, 01:49 PM
On further review the video isn't "full of walk-ons".. Doing a little research there seems to be plenty of guys, albeit underclassmen, with a lot of talent. Here are some of the guys info that were playing defense:

Marquis Simmons - LB - No. 53 - R-Fr.
His 2008 honors included Super Prep All-American, Prep Star All-American, USA Today All-USA second team, Super Prep All-Farwest, Prep Star All-West, Long Beach Press-Telegram Best in the West honorable mention, Orange County Register Fab 15 second team, Tacoma News Tribune Western 100, Cal-Hi Sports All-State third team, Golden State Preps All-Southern California third team and All-CIF Western Division first team as a linebacker at Dominguez High in Compton (Calif.). He had 81 tackles and 7 sacks in 2008.

Byron Moore - S - No. 9 - R-Fr.
2010: Moore, who was moved to safety from cornerback prior to 2010 spring practice, will compete for playing time as a redshirt freshman in 2010.

2009: Moore redshirted as a freshman cornerback in 2009, his first year at USC.

HIGH SCHOOL: His 2008 honors included Super Prep All-American, Prep Star All-American, ESPN 150, Prep Star Dream Team, Sporting News Top 100, Super Prep All-Farwest, Prep Star All-West, Long Beach Press-Telegram Best in the West first team, Orange County Register Fab 15 first team, Tacoma News Tribune Western 100, Cal-Hi Sports All-State first team, Golden State Preps All-Southern California first team, All-L.A. City first team, Los Angeles Times All-Star first team, South Bay Daily Breeze All-South Bay first team and All-Marine League Offensive MVP as a senior defensive back and wide receiver at Narbonne High in Harbor City (Calif.). He had 83 tackles, 4 interceptions (with 2 TDs), 15 deflections, 3 fumble recoveries (with 1 TD) and 2 forced fumbles on defense, had 61 receptions for 963 yards (15.8 avg.) with 8 TDs on offense and added 820 return yards with 4 TDs. Narbonne was the 2008 L.A. City co-champion.

As a junior in 2007, he made South Bay Daily Breeze All-South Bay second team and All-Marine League while getting 86 tackles, 5 interceptions (with 3 TDs) and 15 deflections on defense, 41 catches for 889 yards (21.7 avg.) with 7 TDs on offense, 221 rushing yards on 8 carries (27.6 avg.) with 3 TDs and 343 return yards (with 2 TDs) in 2007.

Spencer Spiegel - S - No. 34 - R-Jr.
2010: Spiegel will be among those trying to replace Taylor Mays who has moved on to the NFL.

2009: Recorded 9 tackles while playing sparingly. Had a career high in tackles again Cal (3).

2008: Saw action mostly on special teams as a redshirt freshman.

Allen Noble - CB - No. 41 - R-Jr.
2010: Noble looks to me in the rotation at the cornerback position heading in the the fall.

2009: Saw action in seven games as a redshirt sophomore and had an interception against Oregon.

Derek Simmons - DT - No. 90 - r-Sr.
2010: Simmons will compete for playing time at defensive tackle as a senior in 2010.

2009: Simmons was moved back to defensive tackle, his original position at USC, from offensive guard prior to 2009 spring drills and served as a backup there as a junior in 2009. Overall in 2009 while appearing briefly in 7 games (all but Ohio State, Washington, California, UCLA, Arizona, Boston College), he made 8 tackles, including 2 for a loss (with a sack). He had 2 tackles (1 for a loss) against San Jose State, 1 tackle against Oregon State, 3 tackles (with a sack) at Arizona State and 2 tackles against Stanford.

2008: Simmons was switched to offensive guard from defensive tackle in 2008 fall camp and served as a reserve there as a sophomore in 2008. He appeared briefly in 10 games (all but Arizona, California and Stanford).

2007: Simmons saw brief action in 6 games (Idaho, Nebraska, Washington State, Notre Dame, Arizona State and Illinois) as a reserve defensive tackle as a redshirt freshman in 2007. He made 2 tackles in 2007 (1 each against Idaho and Illinois). 2006: Simmons redshirted as a freshman defensive tackle-end in 2006, his first year at USC.

Malik Jackson - DE - No. 97 - Jr.
2010: Jackson will compete for key playing time at defensive end as a junior in 2010.

2009: Jackson was an often-used backup defensive end as a sophomore in 2009, playing primarily in pass rushing situations. Overall in 2009 while appearing in all 13 games, he had 18 tackles, including 3.5 sacks, plus 1 forced fumble and 2 deflections.

He had 2 tackles at Ohio State, 3 stops (with a sack) against Washington State, 2 tackles (0.5 sack) at California, 1 tackle at Notre Dame and 1 sack with a deflection against Oregon State. He had 2 tackles (with a sack), a forced fumble and a deflection at Arizona State, then 3 tackles versus UCLA, 1 stop against Arizona and 3 tackles against Boston College.

2008: Jackson served as a backup defensive end as a first-year freshman in 2008. Overall in 2008, he appeared in 8 games (all but Oregon State, Arizona, California, UCLA and Penn State) and had 4 tackles, including 2 sacks for minus 8 yards, plus he had a deflection and forced a fumble. He had 2 tackles (with a sack) and a forced fumble (which USC recovered and it led to a TD) at Virginia.

As you can see this wasn't merely just a "bunch of walk ons" there was a ton of talent on the field during the run but of course USC haters are going to hate. It's sad texass fans can be so jealous over a school so far away :doh:

NateDawg39
04-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Well send some of those "walk ons" to UNT. I bet some of them could get things done.

Keith7
04-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Well send some of those "walk ons" to UNT. I bet some of them could get things done.

They have in the past. Our last all american (Casey Fitzgerald, WR) was a walk on

NateDawg39
04-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Thats true. Plenty of big names at UNT who were walk ons. Plenty who were went to ACU as well.

turbostud
04-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Keith7

As you can see this wasn't merely just a "bunch of walk ons" there was a ton of talent on the field during the run but of course USC haters are going to hate. It's sad texass fans can be so jealous over a school so far away :doh:

I'm a UT fan and I started the thread, just cause I thought it was a nice run. No hating here.

Keith7
04-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
I'm a UT fan and I started the thread, just cause I thought it was a nice run. No hating here.

Sorry not all texas fans were hatin on it just a couple on this thread

TheDOCTORdre
04-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Sorry not all texas fans were hatin on it just a couple on this thread

how is it that someone that doesnt like Texas, brings Texas into a thread that has nothing to do with them

on a side not nice job on researchin who the pkayers were on the field

Z-RO
04-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
how is it that someone that doesnt like Texas, brings Texas into a thread that has nothing to do with them

on a side not nice job on researchin who the pkayers were on the field

Because it is him, he could find a way to bash Texas at church on Easter Sunday

Keith7
04-15-2010, 10:46 PM

texas fan

Originally posted by Z-RO
Exactly

texas fan

aka haters in the house

Txbroadcaster
04-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Z-RO
, but if they were middle of the pack or lower quality squad type material they would have received a scholarship from one of those type of schools.

Some walk ons at major schools DID recieve offers from other D-1, they just prefered to play at a big school, or the school they are fans of since being a kid and have the means to do it.

Z-RO
04-16-2010, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Some walk ons at major schools DID recieve offers from other D-1, they just prefered to play at a big school, or the school they are fans of since being a kid and have the means to do it.

You mean the rich kids who couldn't cut it to begin with? I would like to know how many of those walk-ons in that video were seen as preferred? Your right SOME do this, but you can count that number of kids who have done this and are currently on the roster of a big time programs on one hand and still have a few fingers left over.

I lol at how WE are the haters, but you bash anything Texas related....who is the hater again? UNT will NEVER be on par with Texas, TT, or A&M for that matter so you mind as well get over it with the obvious envy you have towards Texas.