PDA

View Full Version : I need some travel advice

STANG RED
04-14-2010, 11:34 AM
I'll be taking my wife and daughter to Hawaii next month, and my daughter will be staying for at least 3 months, doing an internship at Sea Life Park. She needs to take enough clothes and misc things for an extended stay, and I'm not sure of the best way to get it there, without spending an arm and a leg. I checked on shipping it by UPS, but was looking at spending $800 or more. And I know the airline will only let us take 2 checked bags each. Anybody got any good ideas of how I can get this done the easiest way, and not spend a ton of money?
Also have to keep in mind, she's got to get all this back here at the end of August.

jason
04-14-2010, 11:37 AM
maybe cheaper to just buy stuff when you get there and then deal with getting it back when she comes back...

44INAROW
04-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Is she taking just clothes and "personal care" items or TV's, stereos, etc?
that was the nice thing with hauling 3 boys on trips - 3 pair of khaki shorts, 2 pair blue jeans and 8 T shirts, underwear/socks and shoes. Toothbrush, contact solution and deodorant in the shave kit. Golf clubs, Laptop and cell phone of course. :D

SintonPirateFan
04-14-2010, 12:29 PM
the USPS one rate packages?

STANG RED
04-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by jason
maybe cheaper to just buy stuff when you get there and then deal with getting it back when she comes back...

I have thought about that, but I've also heard all the horror stories about how expensive everything is in Hawaii. But I know there are several Walmarts and Sams Clubs right there in Honolulu. Surely they cant be that much more expensive than they are here. The locals have to shop somewhere where things are reasonable.

STANG RED
04-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Is she taking just clothes and "personal care" items or TV's, stereos, etc?
that was the nice thing with hauling 3 boys on trips - 3 pair of khaki shorts, 2 pair blue jeans and 8 T shirts, underwear/socks and shoes. Toothbrush, contact solution and deodorant in the shave kit. Golf clubs, Laptop and cell phone of course. :D

just clothes and personal care items, and here laptop of course.
But being the girl I know she is, her clothes and shoes alone could fill the plane. LOL, I'll probably take one bag and a carry on at the most myself.

BullsFan
04-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I have thought about that, but I've also heard all the horror stories about how expensive everything is in Hawaii. But I know there are several Walmarts and Sams Clubs right there in Honolulu. Surely they cant be that much more expensive than they are here. The locals have to shop somewhere where things are reasonable.

I would check into prices at the local Walmarts and Sams. I've heard those horror stories too.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-14-2010, 01:18 PM
You never told me you had a daughter. :devil:

STANG RED
04-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
You never told me you had a daughter. :devil:

You would'nt like her. She's a crackpot shot with an M-16, and uses liberal politicians pictures for targets. Never misses. Oh and shes beautiful to.:D

88bobcats
04-14-2010, 04:29 PM
You would'nt like her. She's a crackpot shot with an M-16, and uses liberal politicians pictures for targets. Never misses. Oh and shes beautiful to.:D

This sounds like one those "...please send picture of boat and motor..." jokes.

By the way, please post images of M-16 and "damaged" liberal politician pictures.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-14-2010, 06:40 PM

That's okay, I can brainwash her. I'll just tell her that Fox News changed their name to CNN and it will all work out.

garciap77
04-14-2010, 07:50 PM

LOL

LE Dad
04-14-2010, 08:28 PM
I know little about overseas shipping, but I have heard DHL has very good rates for shipping. Might be worth checking out.

STANG RED
04-14-2010, 09:17 PM
That's okay, I can brainwash her. I'll just tell her that Fox News changed their name to CNN and it will all work out.

LOL, you have no idea how outmatched you would be son. There have been others that have tried and failed, and have the scars to show for it. But your welcome to try. It would at least make for amusing entertainment for the short time it lasts.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-14-2010, 10:20 PM
LOL, you have no idea how outmatched you would be son. There have been others that have tried and failed, and have the scars to show for it. But your welcome to try. It would at least make for amusing entertainment for the short time it lasts.

Well, considering the fact that I have the ability to manipulate and seduce women, I don't think it would be too tall of an order.

DaHop72
04-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Oh and shes beautiful to.:D :thumbsup:

STANG RED
04-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Well, considering the fact that I have the ability to manipulate and seduce women, I don't think it would be too tall of an order.

Try it smart guy. Better have an extra set of cods to slip in when you get home to mommy though.