PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Jones and Celebrities Right to Privacy...

Bullaholic
04-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Jerry Jones was caught on tape saying some unsavory things about Bill Parcells:

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Video-Jerry-Jones--90793804.html

Tiger Woods, Jesse James, and numerous other celebs have had every detail of their lives researched and aired by the media as the result of some major transgressions on their parts. Where do we draw the line? Dale Hansen of DFW WFAA Channel 8 Sports speaks directly to this issue in the following clip----I sort of agree with him regarding media story editorial decisions to air , but I still condemn excessively bad or criminal behavior on anyone's part. But, clandestine eavesdropping and recording in a bar does cross the line in my book.

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/dale-hansen/Dale-Hansen-This-decision-was-the-wrong-decision-90806069.html

BullsFan
04-14-2010, 09:41 AM
I think whoever filmed that clip on their camera and sold it to the media is a pretty low individual, and I think the media who bought and aired it are even worse. Do I condone what Jerry said or the way he acted? Absolutely NOT. But that whole thing just felt sordid. I don't expect my local newscasts to look and feel like TMZ.

Bullaholic
04-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Dang, not even the Jerry "floggers" are jumping on this one....:D

kaorder1999
04-14-2010, 10:10 AM
here you go....I think Dale Hansen said it best!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

by DALE HANSEN / WFAA-TV

Posted on April 13, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Updated today at 9:04 AM

That story we had earlier tonight about Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, if that's what it is (and our news director thinks it is), is yet another example of the decline of journalism as we once knew it.

Our business now, too many times, is a fat kid in a T-shirt in his mother's basement, eating Cheetos and writing his blogs — and we make it news.

Jerry Jones in a bar, being Jerry Jones, is not news to me. And the fact that some creep slides up to Jones, records the conversation without Jones knowing, then tries to sell that recording — and that becomes news — is an embarrassment to us all.

Cowboys public relations director Rich Dalrymple says it's the world we live in.

I don't want to be a part of that world.

The news director, the assistant news director and I talked about it earlier today. I said I wouldn't do the story; they decided to do it anyway, saying it wasn't an easy choice, but a choice they had to make.

Their position was, Jones is a public figure, and the story's already out there, so we had to do it, too.

That's the standard now. Public figures are fair game, and our game is reduced to following the lead of others.

No one wants to lead anymore; everyone wants to follow. And this "public figure" argument rings hollow, too.

This station, and every station in America, always uses the argument about "public figures" when they run some of these ridiculous, embarrassing stories — unless it's one of their "public figures."

The bad stories, the embarrassing stories, about some of the most powerful people in this town — the stories about the people who come into your home every night at 6 and 10 — those stories somehow never see the light of day, unless one of the other stations decides to (and sometimes, they do).

News anchors who commit suicide "passed away during the night."

News anchors posing for pictures with drug dealers are cropped out of the shot so a Cowboys player can be shown.

It's a slippery slope we're on, and we've been sliding downhill a long time now because no one wants to lead anymore... everyone wants to follow.

It was Ralph Waldo Emerson who said: "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail."

The news management here had that opportunity. And while better than most on most days, on this day... this decision was the wrong decision

LE Dad
04-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Dang, not even the Jerry "floggers" are jumping on this one....:D Not a Jerry Jones flogger.....

...but...

... maybe he needs to keep his mouth shut in bars.:thinking:
Wasn't he was in a bar when he ran his mouth to Jimmy Johnson?

:nerd:

Bullaholic
04-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Not a Jerry Jones flogger.....

...but...

... maybe he needs to keep his mouth shut in bars.:thinking:
Wasn't he was in a bar when he ran his mouth to Jimmy Johnson?

:nerd:

Good thought, LE---but asking people to keep their mouths shut in a bar after they've had a few would be like asking a bunch of ladies not to gossip in a beauty parlor....:D

LE Dad
04-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by BullsFan
I think whoever filmed that clip on their camera and sold it to the media is a pretty low individual, and I think the media who bought and aired it are even worse. Do I condone what Jerry said or the way he acted? Absolutely NOT. But that whole thing just felt sordid. I don't expect my local newscasts to look and feel like TMZ. Everyone wants to see a train wreck. The only way it quits being news is when the public quits watching. Even complaining about the story is good for the station, it gets the station out there into peoples conversation. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

LE Dad
04-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Good thought, LE---but asking people to keep their mouths shut in a bar after they've had a few would be like asking a bunch of ladies not to gossip in a beauty parlor....:D :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

GreenMonster
04-14-2010, 10:20 AM
sounds like ol' JJ needs to stay home more to sip his whiskey and flog his dolphin and there will be less reason to for the Jerry floggers. Just my $0.02.

marler1972
04-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Jerry did nothing wrong other than talking to what was suppose to be fans. You bet from now on he will not speak to the regular people. You wonder why celebs turn their nose and don't want to talk to anyone well here is a prime example.

Emerson1
04-14-2010, 10:36 AM
As much as I always defend Jerry Jones, if you are blabbing drunk in a bar don't expect in this day in age for it to not be recorded. It's not like his phone was wire tapped

Maroon87
04-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Celebrities/musicians/coaches/players/owners have always talked like this behind the scenes. The only thing that has changed is that now everything is on You Tube about 10 seconds after it happens.

And I'm sure Parcells knows exactly what Jerry thinks about him. If he didn't, the fact that Jerry signed TO without Parcell's blessing should have been a pretty clear sign.

And as for the Tebow comments, I don't think Jerry is the only one with that opinion.

Overall, though, not Jerry's proudest moment. I kept waiting for him to drop a "500 coaches could win the Super bowl with this team" blast...:doh:

BullsFan
04-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Everyone wants to see a train wreck. The only way it quits being news is when the public quits watching. Even complaining about the story is good for the station, it gets the station out there into peoples conversation. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

Not everyone. I kept changing the channel last night, but every station was carrying it. So I turned it off and watched an old episode of Seinfeld instead.

Bullaholic, I am very carefully choosing NOT to reply to that comment about ladies at a beauty salon. Maybe sometimes I can avoid the bait afte all.... :D

Bullaholic
04-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Not everyone. I kept changing the channel last night, but every station was carrying it. So I turned it off and watched an old episode of Seinfeld instead.

Bullaholic, I am very carefully choosing NOT to reply to that comment about ladies at a beauty salon. Maybe sometimes I can avoid the bait afte all.... :D

Some of the best intel I get comes from those salons, BullsFan...:D

crzyjournalist03
04-14-2010, 11:25 AM
My question...did Jerry say anything we didn't already know?

Phil C
04-14-2010, 11:31 AM
It is unfortunate maybe but the a large portion of privacy is lost for celebrities. That is an added price of fame and fortune.

Bullaholic
04-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
It is unfortunate maybe but the a large portion of privacy is lost for celebrities. That is an added price of fame and fortune.

They are victims of society, Phil...:D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-14-2010, 11:39 AM
What right to privacy are you talking about? The right to privacy in the Constitution protects privacy in your beliefs, privacy of your home against providing room and board for soldiers, privacy against illegal search and seizure, and privacy against self-incrimination. The rest of the interpretations of the right to privacy were created by judges who were, as so many of you have put it, were created by judges who "legislated from the bench." So what's the argument? Still trying to have it both ways as long as it fits your ideals?

44INAROW
04-14-2010, 11:45 AM
ut oh............ we need a "going south" smiley :D :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
ut oh............ we need a "going south" smiley :D :D

I'm just stating the fairly obvious here. You can read through the Constitution and it will not outline any right to privacy that so many people on here feel like we already have given to us in the Constitution, and if they know that it's not there they feel like we deserve it. And it's fine to feel like we deserve it, but any interpretations and any precedent for the right to privacy that was "given" to us by the Constitution has been created by Judicial Activism, which the vast majority on here have been opposed to.

big daddy russ
04-14-2010, 03:26 PM
I think whoever filmed that clip on their camera and sold it to the media is a pretty low individual, and I think the media who bought and aired it are even worse. Do I condone what Jerry said or the way he acted? Absolutely NOT. But that whole thing just felt sordid. I don't expect my local newscasts to look and feel like TMZ.
I refuse to watch the local news here in Houston for that very reason. One of the stations here in town actually has a segment with TMZ at the end of their broadcasts.

As someone who was once in the business, it disgusts me to see how fall the industry has fallen. For those of you on the board who have studied journalism and/or been in the industry (and I know there are a good group of you), you know exactly what I'm talking about. I couldn't agree more with Dale Hansen. I wish more directors at more stations shared his beliefs.

Farmersfan
04-14-2010, 03:36 PM
The only reason this is a story at all is because JJ lied about his motives and feelings in the first place. If he had told us how he felt about Parcells originally then this would not be news!!!!! Don't put on false fronts unless you can handle them being exposed sooner or later!

Maroon87
04-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I refuse to watch the local news here in Houston for that very reason. One of the stations here in town actually has a segment with TMZ at the end of their broadcasts.

As someone who was once in the business, it disgusts me to see how fall the industry has fallen. For those of you on the board who have studied journalism and/or been in the industry (and I know there are a good group of you), you know exactly what I'm talking about. I couldn't agree more with Dale Hansen. I wish more directors at more stations shared his beliefs.

:2thumbsup

Gobbler Fan
04-14-2010, 04:10 PM
alcohol the truth serum ...:D

Txbroadcaster
04-14-2010, 04:13 PM

The industry has not fallen...technology has simply caught up to those willing to do whaever it takes to create/make the news.

If reporters/news outlets in the 50's could have had this type of technology they would be the exact same way as what we see now.

this iin the past would have been reported as an overheard Jerry Jones talking ( that is basically how the comment he made about Jimmy Johnson and 500 other coaches could coach Dallas got known). Now someone in media or not just throws up their cell phone and it is documented.

88bobcats
04-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
alcohol the truth serum ...:D

In vino veritas.....

garciap77
04-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Good thought, LE---but asking people to keep their mouths shut in a bar after they've had a few would be like asking a bunch of ladies not to gossip in a beauty parlor....:D

:eek: :eek: :eek:

garciap77
04-14-2010, 04:17 PM
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

LE Dad
04-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Blah, blah, blah I am sure you posted something else but that is all I could make of it...

Sorry.:(

LE Dad
04-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
The industry has not fallen...technology has simply caught up to those willing to do whaever it takes to create/make the news.

If reporters/news outlets in the 50's could have had this type of technology they would be the exact same way as what we see now.

this iin the past would have been reported as an overheard Jerry Jones talking ( that is basically how the comment he made about Jimmy Johnson and 500 other coaches could coach Dallas got known). Now someone in media or not just throws up their cell phone and it is documented. True, and as long as people tune in and discuss it, the media will continue to utilize it. As much as I hate to admit it BBDE is right, if you are in a public place you have no expectation of privacy.

Old Tiger
04-14-2010, 04:33 PM
I think its funny what he said about Tim Tebow...that is all.

big daddy russ
04-14-2010, 04:33 PM

this iin the past would have been reported as an overheard Jerry Jones talking ( that is basically how the comment he made about Jimmy Johnson and 500 other coaches could coach Dallas got known). Now someone in media or not just throws up their cell phone and it is documented.
I'd have to disagree. I think that the business has followed the technology and journalism as a whole has changed tremendously in the past decade or two. Though I can't put an exact date on when it happened, the first I remember of this brand of journalism was when the media started "camping out" for news during the OJ trial. I know for a fact that those kind of practices were frowned upon and considered unprofessional before that.

In the past, ethics in journalism were a big part of the profession. The industry generally policed itself because of the people that were in the industry. This story is proof that it's not like that anymore.

I knew a lot of little secrets when I was in the business, but never published them. Neither did any of my colleagues. And I didn't get out of it until 2003. There's a sense of professionalism that goes along with journalistic integrity. It's knowing the difference between a news story and mere gossip.

Txbroadcaster
04-14-2010, 04:59 PM
I'd have to disagree. I think that the business has followed the technology and journalism as a whole has changed tremendously in the past decade or two. Though I can't put an exact date on when it happened, the first I remember of this brand of journalism was when the media started "camping out" for news during the OJ trial. I know for a fact that those kind of practices were frowned upon and considered unprofessional before that.

In the past, ethics in journalism were a big part of the profession. The industry generally policed itself because of the people that were in the industry. This story is proof that it's not like that anymore.

I knew a lot of little secrets when I was in the business, but never published them. Neither did any of my colleagues. And I didn't get out of it until 2003. There's a sense of professionalism that goes along with journalistic integrity. It's knowing the difference between a news story and mere gossip.

Look at how the media covered the Lindbergh kidnapping..same as they did the OJ case

Yellow Journalism was around a LONG time ago..as were papers with agendas

..you talk about secrets...well most are not printed because the proof is unattainble or flimsy at best, not because of integrety IMO.

The difference now is Joe Q Public is able to be a part of the media with blogs and cell phone cameras. But all they are is an extension of the media..instead of someone reporting that Jones was overheard the proof is in the video.

big daddy russ
04-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Look at how the media covered the Lindbergh kidnapping..same as they did the OJ case

Yellow Journalism was around a LONG time ago..as were papers with agendas

..you talk about secrets...well most are not printed because the proof is unattainble or flimsy at best, not because of integrety IMO.

The difference now is Joe Q Public is able to be a part of the media with blogs and cell phone cameras. But all they are is an extension of the media..instead of someone reporting that Jones was overheard the proof is in the video.
I'd agree with almost everything you said. But journalistic integrity came about as a direct result of yellow journalism, the industry didn't truly clean itself up until the 50's or 60's (remember the Randolph Hearst/Citizen Kane ordeal?).

I'd also disagree with the ability to publish secrets. One quote and one additional phone call is all it really takes to publish something, and in most cases I had much more than just that. So did most of my colleagues.

The difference was that the private affairs of athletes weren't considered news unless resulted in legal action.

Maroon87 actually worked at the same place I got my start years before I worked there and worked with many of the same people I did. Maybe it was just the way we were mentored, but we probably have similar views of the business.

My mentor in the business is still with the same company and still in a director's capacity. And he still hates gossip to this day.

Txbroadcaster
04-14-2010, 05:31 PM
I'd agree with almost everything you said. But journalistic integrity came about as a direct result of yellow journalism, the industry didn't truly clean itself up until the 50's or 60's (remember the Randolph Hearst/Citizen Kane ordeal?).

I'd also disagree with the ability to publish secrets. One quote and one additional phone call is all it really takes to publish something, and in most cases I had much more than just that. So did most of my colleagues.

The difference was that the private affairs of athletes weren't considered news unless resulted in legal action.

Maroon87 actually worked at the same place I got my start years before I worked there and worked with many of the same people I did. Maybe it was just the way we were mentored, but we probably have similar views of the business.

My mentor in the business is still with the same company and still in a director's capacity. And he still hates gossip to this day.

I still think the integrity was there as much because of the limitations of news gathering compared to what we have now. Not meaning evey media person is out for gossip( I am not and detest it), but Media outlets also knows what sales..the same thing people gripe about, they turn around and go to the sites, and read the blogs they are cursing.

big daddy russ
04-14-2010, 06:19 PM
I still think the integrity was there as much because of the limitations of news gathering compared to what we have now. Not meaning evey media person is out for gossip( I am not and detest it), but Media outlets also knows what sales..the same thing people gripe about, they turn around and go to the sites, and read the blogs they are cursing.
Absolutely. I definitely think the media has gone the way that the public has steered it. With the problems financial problems the industry's had the past 10-20 years, it's understandable why it's been steered that way.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-14-2010, 06:35 PM
I love how nobody addressed what I have to say. Mostly because it's true, but the other part was that everyone is too cowardly to admit that they're that way.

big daddy russ
04-14-2010, 06:43 PM
I love how nobody addressed what I have to say. Mostly because it's true, but the other part was that everyone is too cowardly to admit that they're that way.
I believe everything you said. I'm not a coward anymore, am I?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-14-2010, 06:45 PM
I believe everything you said. I'm not a coward anymore, am I?

I wasn't talking about you though, Russ. They know who they are. ;)

But you're still a coward for other reasons. I won't disclose them, but you know why.

big daddy russ
04-14-2010, 07:04 PM
I wasn't talking about you though, Russ. They know who they are. ;)

But you're still a coward for other reasons. I won't disclose them, but you know why.
Those gerbils will never be the same. Will they, Gary?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Those gerbils will never be the same. Will they, Gary?

How could they be?

eagleqb_14
04-14-2010, 08:11 PM
WOW

LE Dad
04-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Those gerbils will never be the same. Will they, Gary? :eek: :eek: :eek:

gobblerfan34
04-15-2010, 12:26 AM
Jerry Jones has to take some responsibility for his actions, we are not talking about a young kid who has never been exposed to the media and who doesn't know how to handle themselves.

Just another example of Jerry being Jerry, oh how sad it is.

All the money in the world cannot buy you class.

GO MEAN GREEN

Maroon87
04-15-2010, 06:42 AM

Geez...self righteous much?:hand:

Pick6
04-15-2010, 07:38 AM

:rolleyes:

LE Dad
04-15-2010, 08:55 AM
...but the other part was that everyone is too cowardly to admit that they're that way. Hmmm, this coming from someone who cries to the Mods when he gets his wittle feelings hurt.:thinking:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Buckeye1980
04-15-2010, 12:22 PM
first off , I am not a JJ fan........

but what did he do wrong

He drank...others do it
He said Romo was a miracle...to come from where he started to where he is today, is really quite a miracle
What he said about Parcells...probaly true,only he can answer that, but it is his opinion
Tebow....again ,his opinion, and probably a true one, why would the Cowboys EVER draft him

All he did was the truth in his opinion

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Hmmm, this coming from someone who cries to the Mods when he gets his wittle feelings hurt.:thinking:

When did I do this??

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Geez...self righteous much?:hand:

Sometimes. ;)

Keith7
04-15-2010, 03:40 PM
I don't feel like reading what everybody already said but I thought the release of the video was fine. Stuff like this holds people of Jones' stature accountable and shows what kind of a slimeball he really is

Keith7
04-15-2010, 03:41 PM
When did I do this??

that's their only explanation for what happens to the little tea party threads when they get taken down. No way could it be that they are just breaking the rules :doh:

Bullaholic
04-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
that's their only explanation for what happens to the little tea party threads when they get taken down. No way could it be that they are just breaking the rules :doh:

You are so persecuted.....we feel your "pain"....:rolleyes:

LE Dad
04-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
that's their only explanation for what happens to the little tea party threads when they get taken down. No way could it be that they are just breaking the rules :doh: No actually I start my threads on the other forum, thank you. That way I don't have to worry about it being moved.

You should try ....oh I forget, then that would be one less thing to feel oppressed about.:thinking:

Keith7
04-15-2010, 05:00 PM
No actually I start my threads on the other forum, thank you. That way I don't have to worry about it being moved.

You should try ....oh I forget, then that would be one less thing to feel oppressed about.:thinking:

I dont get access to "the other forum" and prolly never will so I already feel oppressed :(

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Hey Keith, want to go beat up some stupid old men?

Pick6
04-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Hmmm, this coming from someone who cries to the Mods when he gets his wittle feelings hurt.:thinking:

I know it's getting hard to tell them apart, but I think you're talking about Keith

Keith7
04-15-2010, 05:09 PM

Duh, I'm always down for that

Keith7
04-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
I know it's getting hard to tell them apart, but I think you're talking about Keith

OH NO! DON'T HURT ME WITH THE TATTLE TALE CARD!! I'M CRUSHED :(

Pick6
04-15-2010, 05:12 PM

You'd have to do the heavy lifting if he's with you...lol

LE Dad
04-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Hey Keith, want to go beat up some stupid old men? My money is on the old men. One of ya would whine about your back and the other would run after the first swing.:clap: :clap:

Maybe you should try cow tipping, I would give you even odds on that.:D

LE Dad
04-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
I know it's getting hard to tell them apart, but I think you're talking about Keith No joke, I think their cycles have synched and everything. :eek: :eek:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-15-2010, 07:04 PM
My money is on the old men. One of ya would whine about your back and the other would run after the first swing.:clap: :clap:

Maybe you should try cow tipping, I would give you even odds on that.:D

I actually still work out every day. My upper body strength is doing just fine.

BaseballUmp
04-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Wow this is great stuff...

pretty childish to me

zebrablue2
04-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Wow this is great stuff...

pretty childish to me

very childish is more like it!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-16-2010, 02:28 AM