PDA

View Full Version : Best game you ever saw at Texas Stadium thread

Emerson1
04-12-2010, 03:41 PM
I will start with the sad ones

Forney v. La Grange. State Championship 2000. If I remember right, which I was 10 at the time, Forney was going in to score and Dabryan Blanton fumbled inside the freaking 10 yard line. La Grange got the ball back and ran out the time

Forney v. Everman 2002. That wasn't intentional grounding he was spiking the damn ball. . . Am I remembering this right? Hanie gets called for intentional grounding, the next pass is completed on a hail mary inside the 10?

--

The happy ones.

Abilene beating SLC a couple years back was epic.

Copperas Cove v. Texas High in 2007

Cove intercepted Ryan Mallet twice in the final minutes to seal it. Mallet had at least 100 yards receiving in that game. Yes, receiving.

Txbroadcaster
04-12-2010, 03:43 PM
SLC vs Trinity 2006

Everman vs WF Rider..Rider DOMINATED for 3 and half Quarters and somehow Everman pulls of the big win

Carthage vs Celina...Carthage beat Celina up physically something supposedly could not happen

Marshall vs Plano...Plano matched us score for score, but we outlasted them

have some more will put up tonight

crzyjournalist03
04-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Forney v. Everman 2002. That wasn't intentional grounding he was spiking the damn ball. . . Am I remembering this right? Hanie gets called for intentional grounding, the next pass is completed on a hail mary inside the 10?

Yep...there was that, and the fake spike where they completed a pass down the field but the referees ruled it a spike. There was a lot of talk here by Everman fans how the Forney staff was at fault for not alerting the referees that they would attempt a fake spike.

Matthew328
04-12-2010, 04:00 PM
SLC Trinity 2006 by a mile...over 50k in attendance the build up and hype was unreal and the game lived up to it....still think Trinity was the better team

Denton Guyer-Longview 2008...very underrated game...that was a hell of a team Guyer had and they went toe to toe w/Longview great crowd for this one also....

Everman-Hebron 2005..the year Hebron won state....Everman's Maurice Moore nearly led a last minute drive to win it...that was the infamous TXB "Marcus Clark" game...Everman wins that game I think they win the state title..

Everman-Rider 2007...TXB mentioned it already...Rider DOMINATES for 3 quarters but never put Everman away...Everman comes back in the 4th...Everman tries to run the clock out but Rider lets Everman score...Shavodrick Beaver leads them down for a TD but gets stopped just short on the 2 point try...

Abilene-SLC 2005?? Whatever year Potts was a junior and SLC won like 33-30 and there was about 30k there...fantastic game I think Abilene fumbled late to preserve a SLC win...heartbreaking loss for Abilene

coach
04-12-2010, 04:10 PM
lewisville beating converse judson in 1993 for the 5a state championship

lostaussie
04-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Gilmer/Snyder..........can't remember the score:D Thats the only high school game I ever saw there except for the one right before ours. That was Ennis/Marshall and it was also a very good game.

garciap77
04-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Abilene High vs South Lake Carroll!

IRVING, Texas -- One of the original dynasties in Texas high school football ended the state's latest run of dominance Saturday.

Abilene High recovered a fumble by Southlake Carroll when the Dragons were trying to set up for a field goal in the final seconds of a 22-21 playoff loss that ended their three-year run of Class 5A championships and snapped a 58-game winning streak against Texas teams.

Carroll (11-2), which had a 49-game winning streak snapped in a loss to Miami Northwestern earlier this season, hadn't lost to a Texas team since falling to Katy 16-15 in the 2003 5A Division II championship game.

The loss to Miami Northwestern left the Dragons one game short of Abilene's 50-game winning streak in the 1950s, a state record for big schools. The War Eagles won three straight state titles from 1954-56.

Carroll won back-to-back 5A Division II titles in 2004-05 and won the 5A Division I championship last season. The Dragons also won the 5A Division II title in 2002, giving them four championships in five years coming into this season.

All of those titles came under former coach Todd Dodge, who made the rare jump from high school to the highest division of college football. Dodge finished 2-10 in his first season at North Texas, including a 38-19 loss Saturday night that ended Florida International's 23-game losing streak in the final college game at Miami's Orange Bowl.

Dodge's son, Riley Dodge, was going for his second title as Carroll's starting quarterback, but he left the game in the second quarter with a shoulder injury. His backup, Kyle Padron, fumbled a snap at the Abilene 10-yard line with eight seconds left. Abilene (12-1) recovered and took a knee for the win.

"No one said life was fair," Carroll coach Hal Wasson said. "It's one of the hazards of the game."

Riley Dodge has orally committed to play for his dad at North Texas. Todd Dodge was the starting quarterback at Texas in the 1980s.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

waterboy
04-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Gilmer/Snyder..........can't remember the score:D Thats the only high school game I ever saw there except for the one right before ours. That was Ennis/Marshall and it was also a very good game.
Does this picture jog your memory any?

:D

http://forsan.esc18.net/FishbackBob/SnyderGilmer/DSC_0542.jpg

charlesrixey
04-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Celina 21, Mart 17 in 2000

Both were defending state champions, combined they had more than half of the TSWA all-state team, Celina had won 40 straight and Mart had won 30 straight (they had set a 15 game scoring record for 2A with 789 points the year before), and the 20,000+ crowd from the Ennis-WOS game previously didn't drop off much for this game (official attendance was 13,000, but a lot of people stayed for the second game).

Quan Cosby and Adam Herrin each had over 300 yards total offense, if i recall. Both were named 1st team all-state QB's by various publications. I think Herrin remains the only 11-man QB to start and win three titles?

pirate4state
04-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Everman-Rider 2007...TXB mentioned it already...Rider DOMINATES for 3 quarters but never put Everman away...Everman comes back in the 4th...Everman tries to run the clock out but Rider lets Everman score...Shavodrick Beaver leads them down for a TD but gets stopped just short on the 2 point try...

Yall just needed me there to shine! :D I got to watch the best part! :)

Matthew328
04-13-2010, 08:58 AM
LOL thats funny how as soon as P4S walks in it goes from 13-0 to 14-13

87 TIGER
04-13-2010, 12:22 PM
The only game I ever saw there Rockdale 23-Childress 6 State championship game.

LE Dad
04-13-2010, 12:36 PM
NONE!!:mad:

It was not very kind to Texarkana teams.:dispntd: :dispntd:

Footballhudini
04-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
Celina 21, Mart 17 in 2000

Both were defending state champions, combined they had more than half of the TSWA all-state team, Celina had won 40 straight and Mart had won 30 straight (they had set a 15 game scoring record for 2A with 789 points the year before), and the 20,000+ crowd from the Ennis-WOS game previously didn't drop off much for this game (official attendance was 13,000, but a lot of people stayed for the second game).

Quan Cosby and Adam Herrin each had over 300 yards total offense, if i recall. Both were named 1st team all-state QB's by various publications. I think Herrin remains the only 11-man QB to start and win three titles?

mart was very fortunate just to be playing in that game imo. they came back from a 20 point deficit the previous weekend. makes me sick

LionKing
04-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Brownwood defeating Gainseville 21-12 for the 1978 State championship.
Also in the same year seen the ''Doomsday Defense'' led Cowboys beat the New England Patriots.
And seen the 92' Cowboys knock the Eagles out of the playoffs.

Worse games :
Brownwood losing to Denton Ryan 20-6 in the 2nd round of D2 4A playoffs in 2003.
Eric Dickerson led L.A. Rams whip the Cowboys (can't remember exact year, either 84' or 85').

Although I didn't personally see, I heard the Tyler John Tyler-Plano East playoff game was probably the best all-time high school game ever played at Texas Stadium.

charlesrixey
04-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
mart was very fortunate just to be playing in that game imo. they came back from a 20 point deficit the previous weekend. makes me sick

lol you must be a Refugio fan!

I listened to Mart's games over the radio against Lone Oak and Refugio, all three of which were top 5 in the state (Sonora and Celina were the other two). Mart had set a scoring record the previous season, but part of that was due to their relatively easy district and playoff schedule (Their toughest game before a 40-7 win over Boyd for the title was against Lexington, which i think was 42-7. They were quite talented that year and the next, however, and John Garrett was their major loss after the 1999 season.

Most of the rest returned, and they had a tougher regular season and district schedule (they played a very tough 3A marlin team) and then in the playoffs they were in Div II rather than DI (DII was much deeper in 2000 than the higher bracket).

Lone Oak was having a historic year as well, and they were 12-0 and averaging 50+ ppg and led Mart 7-6 late in the fourth until with about a minute left the Panthers scored to win 13-7.

Refugio was also undefeated and had one of their best teams hit the field against Mart in the semis. Once again, Mart fell behind 20-0 and in the fourth quarter, led by Cosby, they came back and won 21-20.

Whether you liked them or not, Mart certainly didn't have any quit in them. Although i do have to admit i thought for sure Refugio was going to knock them out after they scored three quick ones early on.

Ex-Tiger2005
04-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Does this picture jog your memory any?

:D

http://forsan.esc18.net/FishbackBob/SnyderGilmer/DSC_0542.jpg

oh man it still hurts to see that...:mad:

waterboy
04-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
oh man it still hurts to see that...:mad:
I sawwy......didn't mean to bring back sad memories..;) Just jogging aussie's memory a little.....:) He seems to forget those kinda things...:D For what's it's worth, we've been on the short end of a few of those, too...:mad:

Ex-Tiger2005
04-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I sawwy......didn't mean to bring back sad memories..;) Just jogging aussie's memory a little.....:) He seems to forget those kinda things...:D For what's it's worth, we've been on the short end of a few of those, too...:mad:

Its cool i can accept being beat by a better team...and clearly they were!

Z-RO
04-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
SLC vs Trinity 2006

Everman vs WF Rider..Rider DOMINATED for 3 and half Quarters and somehow Everman pulls of the big win

I am going with those in that exact order as well. I still think the SLC/Trinity game had more people in that considering most of the people didnt get there until after half time since the traffic was so bad.