PDA

View Full Version : Buddist Tiger

CenTexSports
04-09-2010, 08:03 AM
What is the big deal about Tiger yesterday?

First, golf is like sex - once you do it well, it is not as hard from then on and I think Tiger has lots of practice in both.

Second, so he shot 68. A sixty year old shot 67 and a fifty year old shot 66. Before Tiger teed off, all day everybody talked about the story being the course and the tournamnet committee. The course was set up for potential rain and high wind and when it didn't come, the low scores were there for the taking.

Third, Tiger didn't crawl out of a hospital bed to play. He had been playing and practicing. If he had done like Ben Hogan and not played for ten months and had the tramatic injuries from his car wreck and won then that would be something. Getting caught screwing half the women on the PGA tour circuit does not equal a car wreck.

I have never been a Tiger fan even though I do think he is the best combination of talent and mental ability to ever play. I was also not a Jack N fan growing up but over the years, he won me over by opening up and in later years giving Arnie his due. Truthfully, Tiger was on his way to getting my respect but the revelations of the last months have brought me back to disliking him again.

Go Fred, Tom, and Ernie!

jason
04-09-2010, 08:11 AM
would be cool to see a fred couples - tom watson final group on sunday....

tiger will be close - and lurking on sunday afternoon.....

themsu97
04-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Centex, this could be a bad thing but you are thinking just like I am...

It is a sad state of affairs for golf when right now the leaders are a 60 year old, a 50 year old, and a man who has not played competitive golf for 6 months...

Tiger is a great golfer... but he has no rival and there is not another good player out there... he wins alot by almost default... and the first round yesterday almost proves that...

I have loved golf, love playing the game, and loved watching it on TV... but hearing Tiger, and all about Tiger ( not his fault) but now really seeing that all Tiger cares about is himself and his image I aslo now see that Tiger is a media whore... he loves attention...

44INAROW
04-09-2010, 08:35 AM
shooting a 68 or lower at Augusta is a great thing - no matter who you are or how old you are. Looking forward to another day of good golf :)

CenTexSports
04-09-2010, 09:12 AM
My favorite parts of the week so far have been:

1) Watching Arnie, Gary, and Jack and then Arnie making the putt from 50 feet from off the green.

2) The interview with Paula Creamer. It was her first time to go to Augusta and she was blown away by the course. She said the TV does not do the course justice. Having been to Augusta, I agree 100%. Getting to see the course in person and then watching it on TV brings a much greater appreciation for the shots.

CenTexSports
04-09-2010, 09:18 AM
One more thing on Tiger. I don't think the 68 is anything special. I do think it may be an indication of a bad omen for the rest of the field. I saw a stat on Wednesday that gave the number of rounds played by Tiger and Phil. Phil had played a few more rounds but their total score to par was significantly different. I don't remember exactly but it was something like

Phil - 35
Tiger -115

I kind of hope Tiger falls off the wagon Saturday night and gets to the course walking bow-legged Sunday morning.

Bullaholic
04-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Talk golf only---Tiger's or anybody else's. Leave the rest out---this story is more tired than Heidi Montag's plastic surgeon.

CenTexSports
04-09-2010, 09:32 AM
This is a thread about Tiger. Start your own if you don't like it. thanks

Bullaholic
04-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
This is a thread about Tiger. Start your own if you don't like it. thanks

My post was directed at the media---not your thread. I don't normally criticize what someone should or should not post unless I consider it to be in extremely bad taste.

CenTexSports
04-09-2010, 09:48 AM
nevermind, I am a little slow this morning

Bullaholic
04-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
nevermind, I am a little slow this morning

Nope---the fault was mine---I wasn't clear on what I meant. It's all good CenTex---thanks.

44INAROW
04-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Nope---the fault was mine---I wasn't clear on what I meant. It's all good CenTex---thanks.

now see - that's how adults handle a misunderstanding ;)
ps I can't get motivated at work today.. just not "feeling it" :doh:

Daddy D 11
04-09-2010, 10:34 AM
If anyone thought he would come out and struggle they were crazy, a couple weeks ago he was practicing with guys on the tour and they said Tiger was playing the best golf they've ever seen him play.

Centex, you know alot more about golf than i do and have actually been to augusta, unlike me (even though i will make a Masters during my lifetime). However, the 68 in the first round impresses me! Only because it was his best ever at the masters, couple that with his lack of being on the tour competing against other golfers/media/fans/etc. I think it is pretty darn impressive.

SintonPirateFan
04-09-2010, 11:39 AM
how often have so many people started out at least -4 in the first round?

Farmersfan
04-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
Centex, this could be a bad thing but you are thinking just like I am...

It is a sad state of affairs for golf when right now the leaders are a 60 year old, a 50 year old, and a man who has not played competitive golf for 6 months...

Tiger is a great golfer... but he has no rival and there is not another good player out there... he wins alot by almost default... and the first round yesterday almost proves that...

I have loved golf, love playing the game, and loved watching it on TV... but hearing Tiger, and all about Tiger ( not his fault) but now really seeing that all Tiger cares about is himself and his image I aslo now see that Tiger is a media whore... he loves attention...

I completely disagree! I don't care if the leaders are 100 years old, if they shoot a 5 under or 6 under then it's great golf. Tiger at his best would have a tough time competing with that score. In fact I think a score like that every round will break the tournament record set by Tiger in 97' with a 270 or -18.