PDA

View Full Version : Former 3A QBs to battle for UNT job

crzyjournalist03
04-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Riley Dodge makes a permanent move to wide receiver, leaving a former Celina QB and a former Glen Rose QB to fight for the job:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=5059117

TheDOCTORdre
04-06-2010, 05:44 PM
should be a good battle for qb

Twirling Time
04-07-2010, 05:10 AM
Technically, Tune was never a 3A QB (except for that one game his sophomore year when he was thrown to the wolves against Gainesville). He was a senior their last year in 2A when they beat Paul Pewitt.

newmann_glvs
04-07-2010, 09:23 AM
wow....really never saw this happening, his arm must be pretty banged up...QB battle begins between former 3A QB's; Derek Thompson of Glen Rose, and Nathan Tune of Celina

Football: Quarterback eager to start for UNT

, April 6, 2010
By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Derek Thompson knew exactly what the consequences would be when Todd Dodge came calling with just minutes left in North Texas’ game against Arkansas State last season.

Derek Thompson UNT had already lost starting quarterback Riley Dodge to a broken arm and backup Nathan Tune had just separated his shoulder. To make matters worse, third-stringer Chase Baine was at home with a case of mononucleosis.

It was desperation time for UNT, which had just one quarterback left on its sideline in Thompson.

Todd Dodge wanted to torch the redshirt season of one of his top young players right then and there in an effort to help the Mean Green win what was essentially a meaningless season-ending game.

Thompson didn’t think twice about heading into the game anyway.

Four plays later, an entire season of his college career was gone.

“As much as I wanted my redshirt, I was going to do whatever it took,” Thompson said last week. “I was not going to tell him no. I was going to go in and do my best. I got to show the coaches what I can do.”

The former Glen Rose standout is getting that chance again in spring practice and is suddenly in the midst of what is becoming an interesting race for the starting quarterback job heading into the second scrimmage of spring workouts today.

Riley Dodge returns after throwing for 1,975 yards and nine touchdowns as a redshirt freshman last season, but tossed 15 interceptions. UNT finished 2-10 and brought in Mike Canales from South Florida to take over the Mean Green’s offense.

Todd Dodge has said that Canales will make the decisions offensively this season. Add in the fact that Riley Dodge has missed much of spring practice with a sore arm, and it appears as if Thompson and Tune could have a legitimate opportunity to start next season.

“[Thompson] absolutely has a chance,” Todd Dodge said. “He is stringing good drills and practices together and had a good scrimmage. When we recruited him we felt like he was a good fit for our offense. He is not the fastest guy, but he is a big guy. We want quarterbacks who can help us in the running game. He can do that in his own way.”

Thompson didn’t think he would be in a position to help the Mean Green this early in his career after signing with UNT. With Riley Dodge in the lineup, it appeared as if Thompson would sit for a season to put some space between him and the head coach’s son.

A desperate situation in UNT’s game against ASU changed those plans.

Dodge threw an interception early in the game and broke his arm trying to tackle ASU safety Kelcie McCray. UNT was down 27-0 before mounting a charge under Tune, who brought the Mean Green within 10 points before separating his shoulder.

“We didn’t have a choice,” Todd Dodge said. “At that point you don’t look at the past and the future. You look at the present. If you have a chance to go win, you do it.”

That opportunity presented itself when the Red Wolves failed to convert on fourth-and-1 with just over three minutes left while holding a 30-20 lead.

If ASU running back Reggie Arnold had picked up a yard on that fourth-down play, Thomp-son never would have come off the sideline. Instead, he came in and led UNT on a four-play, 68-yard drive.

Jamaal Jackson capped the drive by catching a 19-yard touchdown pass in the back of the end zone from Thompson to bring UNT to within 30-26.

UNT had to attempt an onside kick, but ASU fell on the ball and ran out the clock.

Thompson’s four-play season was over.

“That one series was a confidence boost,” Thompson said. “I feel like I gained a lot of respect from my teammates, which is big for my confidence as well.”

That confidence has been on display during spring practice. With Riley Dodge out, Thomp-son has had a chance to work with the first- and second-team offenses.

“Derek doesn’t lack confidence, that’s for sure,” UNT center J.J. Johnson said. “He is rolling with the opportunity and is getting better every day.”

Playing throughout spring drills has given Thompson time to not only make an impression on Todd Dodge, but also to adjust to the new offense being installed by Canales.

“With a new guy in here, all of us are going to have our chance,” Thompson said. “He is going to put the best player on the field. That is what I like about him. He is a really good coach. I am going to learn as much from him as I can and make sure that I am on the same page with the receivers.”

crzyjournalist03
04-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
Technically, Tune was never a 3A QB (except for that one game his sophomore year when he was thrown to the wolves against Gainesville). He was a senior their last year in 2A when they beat Paul Pewitt.

Well, crap.

GrTigers6
04-07-2010, 12:32 PM
If Thompson were to become the starter than I will have to become a Mean Green Fan. :D

Keith7
04-07-2010, 12:34 PM
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s37/smilies-10583.png