PDA

View Full Version : Lostaussie- Texas Bass Tournaments?

Bullaholic
04-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Are bass tournaments still as big in Texas as in the past? How much money does a winner typically take home in a major tournament? How much money is in endorsements?

Farmersfan
04-07-2010, 08:42 AM
http://www.legendoflakefork.com/

lostaussie
04-07-2010, 10:25 AM
I would say tournament fishing as a whole has reduced in the last couple of years due to the economic situation. There are some great tournament trails in Texas and as far as I know they are all still alive and kicking. With that said, I would say the number of anglers who enter those tournaments has diminished, and with fewer entries the paybacks for tournaments, for the most part has gone down. Fishing is still big buisness, but it has taken a downturn just like everything else.

lostaussie
04-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Are bass tournaments still as big in Texas as in the past? How much money does a winner typically take home in a major tournament? How much money is in endorsements? As far as endorsements, I am not in marketing:D. If you consistantly win i.e. Iaconnelli. Van Dam and so forth, I am sure the endorsements are pretty damn good:thumbsup:

Bullaholic
04-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
I would say tournament fishing as a whole has reduced in the last couple of years due to the economic situation. There are some great tournament trails in Texas and as far as I know they are all still alive and kicking. With that said, I would say the number of anglers who enter those tournaments has diminished, and with fewer entries the paybacks for tournaments, for the most part has gone down. Fishing is still big buisness, but it has taken a downturn just like everything else.

You could hide what I know about bass tournament fishing in a gnat's navel, aussie---never been to one, but always wanted to, since I grew up fishing and skiing on the lakes of Texas and some offshore Louisiana while living down there.

Do they have an "Indy" type start where all the fishermen jump in their boats and take off to their sports at the same time? I heard some of those guys have got some 70mph bass boats.

Do any of these guys fish with topwater lures anymore?---That kind of bass fishing early in the morning when it is still and quiet and the bass takes the topwater bait in an explosion of water was always my fav.

lostaussie
04-07-2010, 10:59 AM
I will fish this one

http://kykxbigbassbonanza.com/

JasperDog94
04-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Hey lost. I'm heading your way next Thursday. Time for my buddy's company to host their annual tournament. Maybe in won't rain the entire time this year like it did last year. :D

lostaussie
04-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Hey lost. I'm heading your way next Thursday. Time for my buddy's company to host their annual tournament. Maybe in won't rain the entire time this year like it did last year. :D I am fishing Saturday so i will be able to give you some kind of report. Be sure to check the tires:D

buckeyebob
04-09-2010, 06:03 AM
Fished yesterday...the front seemed to give the big boys lockjaw. I did loose one big boy...wrapped al imb...got to see him make a swirl & wave. Small ones were hungry. It is getting that time of year.

Farmersfan
04-09-2010, 07:55 AM
I cant' wait until Saturday. I am going Lunker-hunting at Lake Fork again. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. I'll report back after I finish all the interviews with the news media and potential sponsors!! :D

Bullaholic
04-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Good luck to you all---aussie, buckeye, and LE. Hope the lunkers like what you offer.

lostaussie
04-09-2010, 09:39 AM
I hate to bust yalls bubble..............but #500 has been caught. O.H. Ivie Reservoir. They had 496,498, and 500!!

BullsFan
04-09-2010, 09:50 AM
My former teaching partner's husband was a pro bass fisherman. (Maybe still is--it's been a long time since I've seen her.) He started when he was a boy keeping notebooks of every fish he caught, what the weather was like, what the water was like, etc. I guess it paid off for him as an adult, because back when we were teaching together he won all kinds of stuff, including the green stuff.

lostaussie
04-09-2010, 12:58 PM
http://archive.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20100409a&nrtype=fish&nrspan=2010&nrsearch=

Farmersfan
04-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
I hate to bust yalls bubble..............but #500 has been caught. O.H. Ivie Reservoir. They had 496,498, and 500!!

Yea! I got an email a few hours ago. From what I understand it has not been officially approved yet but TPWD is on their way to pick up the fish. Story of my life! Day late and dollar short!

Farmersfan
04-09-2010, 02:15 PM
I just read your link Aussie! It's amazing the fish was caught on the 6th and they still have not made it official yet. I guess that's Government at it's finest!

BullsFan
04-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Speaking of my old teaching partner's hubby, he just won big:

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/tournaments/opens/news/story?page=opens_Co1_D3_weighin

Farmersfan
04-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Well this weekend on Fork was pretty tough. We boated about 9 fish and none were really worth talking about. Had several pretty strong bites get away though. The wind picked up some on Saturday and made it rougher than I like and apparently the cold front on Wed and Thursday drove the Bass off the beds and made them very hard to catch. Maybe better luck next time!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Watch this....