PDA

View Full Version : A Day Without Shoes...

stangGirl2007
04-05-2010, 10:41 PM
There are millions of people around the world who must try to live their lives without shoes. See what it's like and take off your shoes on April 8th to spread awareness about these individuals and what we can do to help.

This is a special day organized by Toms Shoes. I am not asking you to donate. All you have to do is take off your shoes for as long as you can and simply get a feeling for how so many people live.

Of course you do not have to be barefoot all day. A few minutes if that's all you can do would be great.

Please pass this on. You'll never know what it is like for the millions of people without shoes if you do not experience it for yourself.

FROM TOMS SHOES: Through everyday encounters with domestic poverty, we are reminded to appreciate having food and shelter, but most of us all but forget about our feet. Food, shelter, AND shoes facilitate life’s fundamentals. Imagine a life without shoes; constantly aware of the ground in front of you, suffering regular cuts and scrapes, tending to infection after each walk, and enduring not only terrain, but heat and cold.

The problem is large, but the solution is simple. Wearing shoes and practicing basic hygiene can prevent both infection and disease due to unsafe roads and contaminated soil. By imagining a life barefoot, we can all contribute to the awareness of these conditions. On April 8th, communities, campuses, organizations, and individuals are banding together to walk barefoot for One Day Without Shoes.

Take a walk with us on April 8th, 2010.

TheDOCTORdre
04-06-2010, 06:01 PM
where is this taking place?

stangGirl2007
04-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
where is this taking place?
Anywhere and everywhere! I know quite a good number of people here that will be doing it. It's pretty neat.

DDBooger
04-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by stangGirl2007
There are millions of people around the world who must try to live their lives without shoes. See what it's like and take off your shoes on April 8th to spread awareness about these individuals and what we can do to help.

This is a special day organized by Toms Shoes. I am not asking you to donate. All you have to do is take off your shoes for as long as you can and simply get a feeling for how so many people live.

Of course you do not have to be barefoot all day. A few minutes if that's all you can do would be great.

Please pass this on. You'll never know what it is like for the millions of people without shoes if you do not experience it for yourself.

FROM TOMS SHOES: Through everyday encounters with domestic poverty, we are reminded to appreciate having food and shelter, but most of us all but forget about our feet. Food, shelter, AND shoes facilitate life’s fundamentals. Imagine a life without shoes; constantly aware of the ground in front of you, suffering regular cuts and scrapes, tending to infection after each walk, and enduring not only terrain, but heat and cold.

The problem is large, but the solution is simple. Wearing shoes and practicing basic hygiene can prevent both infection and disease due to unsafe roads and contaminated soil. By imagining a life barefoot, we can all contribute to the awareness of these conditions. On April 8th, communities, campuses, organizations, and individuals are banding together to walk barefoot for One Day Without Shoes.

Take a walk with us on April 8th, 2010. This won't be a problem in Flour Bluff down there in the Coastal Bend :D j/k

Great cause, I've bought a few pair and I've torn right through them in a few weeks. lol

SintonFan
04-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Today is the day.
My shoes are all wet...:(

pirate4state
04-08-2010, 01:25 PM
As soon as I get home my shoes come off! I have a love/hate relationship with shoes! :D

Bullaholic
04-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I was asked nicely to put my shoes back on---there is no foot like an old foot....:D

stangGirl2007
04-08-2010, 02:57 PM
I haven't been wearing mine today...good thing I used to do it all the time as a kid so it really didn't bother me. :D

LE Dad
04-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Just took mine off.:D although they will go back on shortly as I must do yard work.:(

BaseballUmp
04-08-2010, 07:48 PM
I only saw about 5-10 people on campus all day without shoes

SintonFan
04-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
I only saw about 5-10 people on campus all day without shoes

Bummer. The Bobcats must be boycotting this because I have seen more without shoes there in the dead of winter.:(

BaseballUmp
04-08-2010, 09:44 PM
ha we actually had a guest speaker from Ohio in one of my classes via skype and he actually noticed a guy not wearing shoes in the front row and asked what the deal was

Daddy D 11
04-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
ha we actually had a guest speaker from Ohio in one of my classes via skype and he actually noticed a guy not wearing shoes in the front row and asked what the deal was

"that's how we do it in texas"

lol