PDA

View Full Version : Donovan McNabb a Redskin

DDBooger
04-04-2010, 07:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5055346

The Philadelphia Eagles have reached agreement on a blockbuster intra-division trade that will send perennial Pro Bowl quarterback Donovan McNabb to the Washington Redskins, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

The two sides still must finalize language, but McNabb is now headed to Washington. Compensation is not yet known, but it is likely to include Washington's 2010 second-round pick.

The move means the Redskins now have a new starting quarterback and the Eagles have a new one as well in Kevin Kolb. Michael Vick is now in line as the team's backup.

Sources said McNabb's contract, which has one year and $11.2 million left on it, scared off several other teams. McNabb is due a $6.2 million roster bonus on May 5 and is scheduled to become a free agent after the 2010 season.

At the league meetings, head coach Andy Reid said the Eagles were listening to offers for all three quarterbacks, including 11-year veteran McNabb, who quickly said on his Web site that he wanted a quick resolution to the trade conversations.

NateDawg39
04-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Does this make Washington a playoff contender?

Trashman
04-04-2010, 07:48 PM
It makes them better....but a playoff contender? Not this year.

Pick6
04-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Just shows how dumb Philly is. Give a rival a piece they need...idiots.

DDBooger
04-04-2010, 07:53 PM
This may help Philly build a better team later. But immediately I'd have to say it only slightly improves the Deadskins and sets back Philly a bit. All in all, I think this may have watered down the division. McNabb won't have all those wonderful weapons he had in Philly. Then again, if Kolb comes through for Philly and McNabb improves the Redskins, it could be a toss up. I still think the 'Boys are the best team in the division by a mile.

NateDawg39
04-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Just shows how dumb Philly is. Give a rival a piece they need...idiots. I wouldn't count Philly out just yet. A lot can happen between now and the first of the season.

LE Dad
04-04-2010, 08:02 PM
1 will be a little better, 1 a little worse. Overall it will not make a huge difference in either team.

zebrablue2
04-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
This may help Philly build a better team later. But immediately I'd have to say it only slightly improves the Deadskins and sets back Philly a bit. All in all, I think this may have watered down the division. McNabb won't have all those wonderful weapons he had in Philly. Then again, if Kolb comes through for Philly and McNabb improves the Redskins, it could be a toss up. I still think the 'Boys are the best team in the division by a mile.

:iagree: boys will rule this div. next season!!

Keith7
04-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2

:fnypost:

coach
04-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2

i dontknow im worried as a cowboy fan. they have a tough schedule next yr

STANG RED
04-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Just for a good laugh, I'd love to see McNabb put up some huge numbers on Philly next season. Otherwise I really dont much care.

coach
04-05-2010, 01:16 AM
i think its funny that his last two games as an eagle he was embarrassed by dallas

Pick6
04-05-2010, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
I wouldn't count Philly out just yet. A lot can happen between now and the first of the season.

Didn't say Philly was out. Said you never give your division opp. a key piece. Stupid Philly.

Farmersfan
04-05-2010, 07:50 AM
I think Philly took a step or two backwards with this trade. If Westbrook leaves then Philly is done. The Redskins improves some but don't have near the weapons around McNabb that Philly had. Washington is getting almost as bad as Oakland at bringing in washed up players to die at the end of their career. Will be interesting to see just which team benefits the most.

Pick6
04-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
If Westbrook leaves then Philly is done.

Keep up, Westbrook was released the first of March.

Farmersfan
04-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Keep up, Westbrook was released the first of March.

OK! Then Philly is done!!!

Phil C
04-05-2010, 08:40 AM
This is another goof up by the Eagles which is similar to the time when they traded the great QB Sonny Jergenson to the Redskins.

crzyjournalist03
04-05-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm hoping that when the NFL announces the schedule for next year, Washington opens in Philly on Sunday night.

That would be TV gold.

Keith7
04-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
This is another goof up by the Eagles which is similar to the time when they traded the great QB Sonny Jergenson to the Redskins.

:iagree:

Maroon87
04-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Could be a good move for Philly...Kolb is a good pocket passer and they definitely have some weapons at WR. The loss of Westbrook was a bigger issue IMO.

SintonPirateFan
04-05-2010, 12:09 PM
i say McNabb is injured by the 5th game of the season. he is going to miss Philly's OL.

Pick6
04-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by SintonPirateFan
i say McNabb is injured by the 5th game of the season. he is going to miss Philly's OL.

Washington will draft the top O-lineman in this draft now. With Shan's cut blocking scheme Wash's OL will be improved.

LE Dad
04-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Washington will draft the top O-lineman in this draft now. With Shan's cut blocking scheme Wash's OL will be improved. IMO, The improvement at HC will be a bigger factor than McNabb. If the owner will just keep pumping in money and stay out of the way, things will be better in Washington.

SintonPirateFan
04-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
If the owner will just keep pumping in money and stay out of the way, things will be better in Washington.

sounds like a recipe for success for the Cowboys, too!!

LE Dad
04-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by SintonPirateFan
sounds like a recipe for success for the Cowboys, too!! If Jones would put his ego aside, hire a good GM and get Stephen and himself out of the operations side the Boys would be a much better team. No question.

Keith7
04-05-2010, 02:22 PM
http://ai.redskins.com/WebData/Product/41177/Images/Medium_7009A-5-McNabb-BU-BK.jpg :( :( :wave: :wave:

the genious
04-05-2010, 02:59 PM
the mcoy kid who is now thier running back is a BEAST and washington has now 3 great running backs at thier disposal. So philly has the weapons to groom a young QB and washington gets a veteran who can groom some young recievers
WE WILL SEE!!!!!!

TheDOCTORdre
04-05-2010, 03:48 PM
this is all about the $$$. McNabb was going to be due $11 million this year($6.2 mil was a roster bonus), and Kolb is due to make $350,000 this year

Keith7
04-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
this is all about the $$$. McNabb was going to be due $11 million this year($6.2 mil was a roster bonus), and Kolb is due to make $350,000 this year

:doh: :doh:

http://blog.lehighvalleylive.com/michael-lore_impact/2009/01/large_EagleTrophy-1.jpg
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s37/smilies-10164.png

waterboy
04-06-2010, 12:40 PM
I think Philly has taken a step backward and Washington has a taken a step forward. In the long run I think Philly will be better. In the short run I think Washington will be better. They both still have a ways to go to catch up with the Cowboys and the Giants.

crzyjournalist03
04-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Here's some food for thought:

Last year, playing for a far inferior offensively talented team, here are Jason Campbell's numbers compared to Donovan McNabb's

Campbell:

64.5% completion percentage
20 TD
15 INT
0 fumbles lost
86.4 QB rating
226 passing yards per game
236 rushing yards

McNabb:

60.3% completion percentage
22 TD
10 INT
1 fumble lost
92.9 QB rating
254 passing yards per game
140 rushing yards

McNabb missed some time with injury, so Campbell actually had more attempts, completions, and yardage, but they're not totally fair comparisons unless you want to add the factor that McNabb is more injury-prone.

So let me ask this question...Is McNabb REALLY much better than Campbell at this stage in their careers? The difference in the passing yards per game was basically one pass to DeSean Jackson per game. Campbell had the higher completion percentage, was the better scrambler, and played with far inferior talent.

DDBooger
04-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Here's some food for thought:

Last year, playing for a far inferior offensively talented team, here are Jason Campbell's numbers compared to Donovan McNabb's

Campbell:

64.5% completion percentage
20 TD
15 INT
0 fumbles lost
86.4 QB rating
226 passing yards per game
236 rushing yards

McNabb:

60.3% completion percentage
22 TD
10 INT
1 fumble lost
92.9 QB rating
254 passing yards per game
140 rushing yards

McNabb missed some time with injury, so Campbell actually had more attempts, completions, and yardage, but they're not totally fair comparisons unless you want to add the factor that McNabb is more injury-prone.

So let me ask this question...Is McNabb REALLY much better than Campbell at this stage in their careers? The difference in the passing yards per game was basically one pass to DeSean Jackson per game. Campbell had the higher completion percentage, was the better scrambler, and played with far inferior talent.
The play calling probably lent itself to Campbell's favor. I'm sure he didn't have to make as many difficult passes as McNabb attempted. I'm just speculating though.

Keith7
04-06-2010, 01:10 PM
The play calling probably lent itself to Campbell's favor. I'm sure he didn't have to make as many difficult passes as McNabb attempted. I'm just speculating though.

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s37/smilies-10387.png

DDBooger
04-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s37/smilies-10387.png I figured as much. Statistics in context are important. LOL

crzyjournalist03
04-06-2010, 03:55 PM

Difficult passes like when DeSean Jackson would be all alone five yards past any receiver and McNabb would still miss the throw?

DDBooger
04-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Difficult passes like when DeSean Jackson would be all alone five yards past any receiver and McNabb would still miss the throw? If that was the norm his completion percentage wouldn't have been 60%. I could probably find tape of every qb in the league missing that pass too. McNabb does throw a lot to the RB, so that may have helped his %

crzyjournalist03
04-06-2010, 04:25 PM
If that was the norm his completion percentage wouldn't have been 60%. I could probably find tape of every qb in the league missing that pass too. McNabb does throw a lot to the RB, so that may have helped his %

I don't know how many attempts were thrown to RBs, but Philadelphia had 80 receptions by running backs in '09, while Washington had 85. So the amount of completions to RBs was almost even (over the course of a season, the difference is less than 1% of the passes) and Campbell's completion percentage overall was 4.2% better than McNabb's.

I'm not saying that Campbell is better than McNabb, but I do think that the gap at this point in their careers isn't nearly what most people think it is.

DDBooger
04-06-2010, 04:29 PM
I don't know how many attempts were thrown to RBs, but Philadelphia had 80 receptions by running backs in '09, while Washington had 85. So the amount of completions to RBs was almost even (over the course of a season, the difference is less than 1% of the passes) and Campbell's completion percentage overall was 4.2% better than McNabb's.

I'm not saying that Campbell is better than McNabb, but I do think that the gap at this point in their careers isn't nearly what most people think it is. I'd say that is reasonable. He's also so injury prone that it would worry me. McNabb can still be an elite QB, he just needs to motivate himself. Obviously the paycheck isn't doing it.

Keith7
04-06-2010, 04:30 PM

http://bigheaddc.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/cooley.jpg

http://www.coachingyouthfootball.info/glossary.aspx?id=38

Bullaholic
04-06-2010, 04:36 PM
IMO, McNabb does make some great plays, but he seems to have the problem of making poor throws in key situations which are desperately needed to sustain drives. And, as crzy pointed out, they seem to occur several times during key games when he is not under any pressure and the receiver is wide open. I like McNabb as a person, but I don't think he will ever be anyone's Superbowl winning QB in his relatively short remaining career time in the NFL.

Keith7
04-06-2010, 04:38 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-04-04/based-on-stats-mcnabb-trade-gives-redskins-boost-doesnt-hurt-eagles-greatly

crzyjournalist03
04-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
http://bigheaddc.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/cooley.jpg

http://www.coachingyouthfootball.info/glossary.aspx?id=38

And Cooley missed a significant portion of the season with injury while McNabb had a Pro Bowl-quality tight end in Brent Celek that he was throwing to all year.

Definitely easier for McNabb on that front.

TheDOCTORdre
04-06-2010, 05:52 PM
The Eagles are getting younger and shedding money and will be contenders for a while, but not this year

forum_guy
04-06-2010, 06:10 PM
With this trade i am hearing more and more cowboys fans saying they are going to run away with the division now. What a joke that is. The Redskins WILL contend with the Cowboys and do we really think the Giants are going to be that terrible again? Get real

TheDOCTORdre
04-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy
With this trade i am hearing more and more cowboys fans saying they are going to run away with the division now. What a joke that is. The Redskins WILL contend with the Cowboys and do we really think the Giants are going to be that terrible again? Get real

the Redskins will only contend if McNabb stays healthy and that is never a gurantee

forum_guy
04-06-2010, 06:13 PM
the Redskins will only contend if McNabb stays healthy and that is never a gurantee

+1, now instead of looking at Clausen at pick 4 they can get the best OT available

TheDOCTORdre
04-06-2010, 06:15 PM
+1, now instead of looking at Clausen at pick 4 they can get the best OT available

yeah the skins are making some legit noise this offseason instead of just having Snyder throw money around

forum_guy
04-06-2010, 06:17 PM
yeah the skins are making some legit noise this offseason instead of just having Snyder throw money around

yeah should be interesting in the NFC East. I'm a 9ers fan so i don't really care what happens lol

TheDOCTORdre
04-06-2010, 06:19 PM
yeah should be interesting in the NFC East. I'm a 9ers fan so i don't really care what happens lol

with Warner gone the 9ers should takethe division

forum_guy
04-06-2010, 06:24 PM
with Warner gone the 9ers should takethe division

yeah im interested to see how Alex Smith does. This will actually be the first time in a while the 9ers are entering the season with the same coach and coordinator in place. Call me crazy but i think he does pretty good. If not, this is his last year on contract and will be gone. Also with the 13th and 17th picks in the draft things are looking up.

DDBooger
04-20-2010, 10:02 AM
ESPN's reporting that the 'Skins may reunite McNabb with Owens. :eek:

Pick6
04-20-2010, 10:06 AM
ESPN's reporting that the 'Skins may reunite McNabb with Owens. :eek:

Try and keep up...lol (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103797)

DDBooger
04-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Try and keep up...lol (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103797)
:mad:

This thread is better! :p

Pick6
04-20-2010, 10:26 AM
:mad:

This thread is better! :p

Now your just trying to add different things to your thread hoping to get it passed...lol