04-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I don't think so.

Why not?

ronwx5x
04-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Why not?

Biblical documentation reports otherwise. Read Mathew 27:62, Mark 15:42, Luke 23:56, John 19:31. The Jewish Sabbath begins on Friday at Sundown and extends to Saturday at sundown. Jesus was crucified on the day before the Sabbath, Friday, which was called the preparation day.

TheDOCTORdre
04-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Biblical documentation reports otherwise. Read Mathew 27:62, Mark 15:42, Luke 23:56, John 19:31. The Jewish Sabbath begins on Friday at Sundown and extends to Saturday at sundown. Jesus was crucified on the day before the Sabbath, Friday, which was called the preparation day.

yes but consider the following

In Mathew 12:38-40, When asked to give a sign by the scribes and pharisees, Jesus says the sign they will be given is the sign of Jonah, verse 40 reads
For as Jonah was in the belly of the great fish for three days and three nights, so will the Son of Man be in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights.

Jesus being crucified on Friday does not allow for this to be true so that wither means that Christ is incorrect, or the Bible is incorrect...or there is some other explanation.

Which there is.

Reread John 19:31 it says that "that sabbath day was a high day"

Most people dont know what that means but if yu go back to Exodus 12 and read about the Passover (which is during the time wich Christ was crucifeid) and the Feast of Unleavened Bread, it talks about the ordinances to be observed. In verse 16 of Exodus 12 it says
On the first day you shall have a holy assembly, and another holy assembly on the seventh day; no work at all shall be done on them, except what must be eaten by every person, that alone may be prepared by you.

The first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread was to be observed as a special Sabbath day. So in turn the first day of the feast fell on Friday which was treated as a sabbath, then their was Saturday, the normal Sabbath, and then he was raised on Sunday the 1st day of the week.

If Christ is crucified on Friday it would makeHim a liar when He said he would be in the earth for 3 days and 3 nights, because it would be impossible for Him to raise on Sunday and still fulfil what He sai

ronwx5x
04-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
yes but consider the following

In Mathew 12:38-40, When asked to give a sign by the scribes and pharisees, Jesus says the sign they will be given is the sign of Jonah, verse 40 reads
For as Jonah was in the belly of the great fish for three days and three nights, so will the Son of Man be in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights.

Jesus being crucified on Friday does not allow for this to be true so that wither means that Christ is incorrect, or the Bible is incorrect...or there is some other explanation.

Which there is.

Reread John 19:31 it says that "that sabbath day was a high day"

Most people dont know what that means but if yu go back to Exodus 12 and read about the Passover (which is during the time wich Christ was crucifeid) and the Feast of Unleavened Bread, it talks about the ordinances to be observed. In verse 16 of Exodus 12 it says
On the first day you shall have a holy assembly, and another holy assembly on the seventh day; no work at all shall be done on them, except what must be eaten by every person, that alone may be prepared by you.

The first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread was to be observed as a special Sabbath day. So in turn the first day of the feast fell on Friday which was treated as a sabbath, then their was Saturday, the normal Sabbath, and then he was raised on Sunday the 1st day of the week.

If Christ is crucified on Friday it would makeHim a liar when He said he would be in the earth for 3 days and 3 nights, because it would be impossible for Him to raise on Sunday and still fulfil what He sai

I have wondered about the "three days" thing myself. Christian theology uses "the third day" rather than three days. Jesus was crucified just prior to the Passover Feast (see Exodus for that story). As far as being a liar, I don't think so. Days began at sundown, not sunup for the Jews. He had to be placed in the tomb prior to sundown in order not to violate the Sabbath. So he rose on the morning of the third day, Sunday. There is far too much documentation from all four gospels to think that they all got it wrong and it was actually Thursday. No historian that I have ever read or heard says Thursday. There may be some denominations that hold with Thursday, but I am not aware of them. Another mystery that neither you nor I can understand.

TheDOCTORdre
04-02-2010, 09:00 PM
I have wondered about the "three days" thing myself. Christian theology uses "the third day" rather than three days. Jesus was crucified just prior to the Passover Feast (see Exodus for that story). As far as being a liar, I don't think so. Days began at sundown, not sunup for the Jews. He had to be placed in the tomb prior to sundown in order not to violate the Sabbath. So he rose on the morning of the third day, Sunday. There is far too much documentation from all four gospels to think that they all got it wrong and it was actually Thursday. No historian that I have ever read or heard says Thursday. There may be some denominations that hold with Thursday, but I am not aware of them. Another mystery that neither you nor I can understand.

All I'm saying is as a Christian I have been taught that the Bible is 100% accurate and never contradicts itself.
From the Bible we know that.
1. Christ said He would be in the earth 3 days and 3 nights(Matt. 12:38-40)
2. He was raised on Sunday, the 1st day of the week, which is after the regular weekly Sabbath(Matt. 28:1 and John 20:1)
3. A High Sabbath is confirmed in John 19:31.

By that if you crucify Christ on Friday and take him off the cross before the start of the regular Sabbath, which was sunset Friday night, it doesn't fit into the 3 days and 3 nights that Jesus said he would be in the earth. It doesnt even raise him on the third day since Friday sundow to Saturday sundown would be one day and then if he is raised on Sunday then thats only the 2nd day

Keith7
04-02-2010, 09:02 PM
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s37/smilies-9349.png