PDA

View Full Version : Navasota Basketball Opening

OldBison75
04-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Navasota High School Head Basketball Coach Donald Wesley is leaving the basketball program and will remain an assistant principal. Wesley has won over 200 games in nine years as the head coach after leading the Rattlers to the 1990 state championship. Three years ago, his wife Monica passed away after a long fight with cancer. Wesley has raised his children on his own for the past three years and says he thinks he needs to spend more time with them.

Wesley is a top notch coach, great person, and respected teacher and principal. The Rattlers will have a hard time filling those shoes.

This would be a great job as the Rattlers always have some of the top basketball talents in the area.

NastySlot
04-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Coach Wesley is great person and an asset to the Navasota ISD and Community. Good Luck to him and his family.....proud to call him a friend.

mwynn05
04-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Not that great of a job.... UOS

navscanmaster
04-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
What does uos mean? It may not be a top paying job, but if you are a coach looking to rack up some wins, Navasota is a good job. The talent and speed are always there, and the facilities are vastly improved.

Yoe_09
04-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
What does uos mean? It may not be a top paying job, but if you are a coach looking to rack up some wins, Navasota is a good job. The talent and speed are always there, and the facilities are vastly improved.

Yeah I would have to agree...they will probably always be a team that you see in the playoffs and as a coach you will get wins if you know what your doing.

HEMOTOXIC
04-02-2010, 08:36 PM

:confused:

Its an opinion, but a dumb one!

Dogman_1969
04-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
:confused:

Its an opinion, but a dumb one!

I'd agree with you on this one Hemotoxic. Sota always has some very good basketball players. Coach Wesley always had a very disiplined team and didn't put up with any mess from players......

Always liked the slogan "Tradition Never Graduates". Very true about Sota basketball.

mwynn05
04-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Well you are going to win and be successful but youre coaching a strictly after school sport So if your a big basketball guy not that great of a job if your a big football/basketball guy would be pretty good but you gotta know what your getting yourself into

OldBison75
04-03-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure about the strictly after school program, but the last two head coaches were both basketball coaches only and one of them won a state championship here with Wesley as a player. The Rattler program is a contender each year in the playoffs and has had the misfortune to have the Silsbee's and Hardin Jefferson district as first round opponents lately.

I will put the Rattler basjketball programs, both boys and girls, as one of the top programs in the state. Coach Gates had a 5 or 6 year district winning streak snapped this year. Plus, his teams have won over 30 games each year for the last nine.

New gym, great dressing room facilities, top of the line weight program, and athletes out the gazoo. Seems to me that spells a great job.

Johnny Utah
04-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Will be interesting to see who gets this one. UOS or not, a very good basketball gig in 3a. New district is in their favor.

mwynn05
04-03-2010, 11:18 PM
I couldn't do it ju... Everywhere I have been we have had our kids all year

maestro
04-04-2010, 09:16 AM
if the ad will let the program stand as is...i.e after school only....the success should continue.

kids already know the expectations.

LH Panther Mom
04-04-2010, 11:21 AM
I couldn't do it ju... Everywhere I have been we have had our kids all year
So you're only interested in coaching where you have "basketball only" players? :thinking:

mwynn05
04-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
So you're only interested in coaching where you have "basketball only" players? :thinking: not necessarily but i wont go somewhere where they have football offseason year-round

LH Panther Mom
04-04-2010, 12:05 PM
not necessarily but i wont go somewhere where they have football offseason year-round
Just basketball offseason year-round? :p (That's what I took from "having your kids year-round".)

Johnny Utah
04-04-2010, 02:24 PM
LH does not have much cross over if any from football to hoops and vice versa. Most 3a's share a lot of their kids, mywnn is basically saying that if during basketball season the Nav kids were allowed to work on basketball skills and drills during the athletic period then they may get over the top.

navscanmaster
04-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
LH does not have much cross over if any from football to hoops and vice versa. Most 3a's share a lot of their kids, mywnn is basically saying that if during basketball season the Nav kids were allowed to work on basketball skills and drills during the athletic period then they may get over the top.
When I played hoops at NHS, basketball offseason was cross country and weights. Skills and drills weren't started until later in the fall. however, you are right about the kids playing two sports. When football is doing well, like now, basketball takes a back seat. Navasota's only recruit, Jersey Gates, was basketball only.

mwynn05
04-04-2010, 03:43 PM
all im sayin is if i gotta share athletes fine but i want them during the athletic period during my season (would like jv and varsity but if all i could get were varsity i could deal with that) now if football wants them after basketball thats fine but give me say one day a week or one every other week so they keep in some type of contact with a basketball.....now if i cant get my kids during the season even if i do have the ahtletes to win I still see it as a "bad job" for me personally

Johnny Utah
04-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Hard to compete in hoops in region 3 or any region for that matter if your basketballers do not get basketball skills during the period during your season. JMO Now, Nav has the athtletes to compete, but just think if they could get that extra work during the season.....again going to be interesting to see who gets the job.