PDA

View Full Version : the bands advancing to the finals in 3A are...

Adidas410s
11-04-2002, 06:07 PM
In no particular order:

Canton - Area B
Canyon - Area A
Crystal City - Area E
Pearsall - Area E
Princeton - Area B
Waco Robinson - Area D
Wylie (Abilene) - Area B

I believe that the preformance order is
730 - Pearsall
745 - Wylie
800 - Princeton
815 - Crystal City
830 - Waco Robinson
845 - Canyon
900 - Canton

IT IS FREAKING POURING HERE!!! I am in Temple right now and it has been raining here AND in Waco all day and it doesn't look like it is going to stop. The bands didnt seem to be phased by it though and they all preformed very well. I am really looking forward to finals tonight!

If you want to get the exact results, they should be up on the UIL site in the next 30 minutes or so. Here is that link: UIL Music Site (http://www.uil.utexas.edu/mus)

spaniard
11-04-2002, 06:23 PM
Adidas410s:
In no particular order:

Canton - Area B
Canyon - Area A
Crystal City - Area E
Pearsall - Area E
Princeton - Area B
Waco Robinson - Area D
Wylie (Abilene) - Area B

I believe that the preformance order is
730 - Pearsall
745 - Wylie
800 - Princeton
815 - Crystal City
830 - Waco Robinson
845 - Canyon
900 - Canton

IT IS FREAKING POURING HERE!!! I am in Temple right now and it has been raining here AND in Waco all day and it doesn't look like it is going to stop. The bands didnt seem to be phased by it though and they all preformed very well. I am really looking forward to finals tonight!

If you want to get the exact results, they should be up on the UIL site in the next 30 minutes or so. Here is that link: UIL Music Site (http://www.uil.utexas.edu/mus)congrats to all the participating bands. i really wish that burnet was in that list of 7 for the finals tonight. esprit de corps you played and marched and danced your hearts out this year, way to go guys!!

i was there till about 1:00, my jacket decided not to be waterproof anymore so i wimped out when my arms, for the first time in my 19 years on this earth, turned blueish red. i decided to stop trying to be macho, bc the others i was with were already ready to go wink , but i got to see the bands up until the lunch break. good luck to robinson, not waco robinson, but robinson. and a poo poo on you to one of the mothers of pearsall, i overheard another parent telling the pearsall band she thought they did well, and the reply was "we know." so, i really hope all the parents there arent like that, im sure theyre not. but anywhoo, great job all that competed.

Adidas410s
11-04-2002, 06:32 PM
I believe that they are referred to as Waco Robinson. They are about 5 miles south of Waco and even though they are seperate ISD, they are known by most as Waco Robinson, like we at Wylie are called Abilene Wylie instead of just Wylie.

spaniard
11-04-2002, 06:38 PM
yeah, i made the mistake of calling them waco robinson one day when i was talking to one of their students and they kinda went nuts and let me know that they were just robinson. id like to still call them waco robinson, but everytime i do, i think about people saying burnet as burnett. drives me and just about every single burnetian nuts. so we tell people our motto for those who call us that: "burnet dern it cantcha lern it." :D

chris02
11-04-2002, 08:28 PM
yeah anybody from anywhere near waco calls it robinson instead of waco robinson. just like we call it connally and la vega as opposed to waco connally and waco la vega. a lot of football boards just use those names i guess b/c it's easier to realize where the team is from then. calling them waco robinson just kinda makes them know that u're not from around there...

RocketPlayer
11-04-2002, 08:31 PM
Yeah!!!! lol, j/k :mad: :D

ElMeroMero
11-04-2002, 10:57 PM
Canton HS 1 1 1 1 1 5 State Champion
Robinson HS 2 3 3 2 2 12 2nd
Canyon HS 4 7 2 3 4 20 3rd
Crystal City HS 6 2 5 6 3 22 4th
Wylie HS 3 4 4 7 5 23 5th
Pearsall HS 5 5 7 4 6 27 6th
Princeton HS 7 6 6 5 7 31 7th

Canton with a perfect score wins!

BigRedfan
11-04-2002, 11:20 PM
How did the Lindale band do today? I saw them perform last Friday night and they are good. Were all these military style bands?

CentralTxFan
11-04-2002, 11:23 PM
Lindale finished 13th

surfspike
11-05-2002, 01:51 AM
both years i played for forney we made it to area, but couldnt quite squeeze into the finals... oh well. reminds me of when the forney crowd gave the canton band a standing ovation and got food when we played.....really ticked me off. It was kinda big thing, even the forney messenger wrote about it. people should applaud greatness but c'mon at least try to cheer for your own home team. enough of my ranmbling....back to 3a ball.

Adidas410s
11-05-2002, 02:19 AM
I agree pretty much with the results except for two noticeable things. First off, I dont think that Canton should have gotten 1's from all 5 judges. Also, I really dont think that Canyon should have been in the top 3. I would have put them around 4 or 5. Anyways, here are my semi-professional comments about all of the bands in their order of preformance.

Pearsall - Very good band. Good playing and marching. Good fundamentals but their intervals were weak in some areas. The show concept was too easy and kept them from finishing higher up. I really enjoyed this show and it was a great start to the night.

(Abilene) Wylie - I am gonna try not to be biased here. Honestly, I felt that they should have finished either 3rd or 4th. Getting the 7 from a marching judge kept them from medaling. They played very well and very controlled. It was their first time at state in 8 years and the 1st time here with this director. I think that a top 5 is a great start and watch out in 2 years because they will have all 4 grades of HS kids will have been started in this director's program. Congrats to my boys and gals at Wylie!

Princeton - I really feel sorry for them here because they fell apart tonight. They were a lot better last Saturday at area and were considered to be one of the contenders today. I dont feel it appropriate to make any negative comments about others so I am just going to sum this up with they are a good group who didnt have their best day. Best of luck in the future!

Crystal City - Wow! They were VERY innovative. Reminded me a lot of a Santa Clara Vanguard show from the 90's (you DCI people know what I am saying). The opener and closers were in 7/8 and 5/4 back and forth and they marched it and played it very well. This is a good place for them but I think that considering that Wylie finished 5th that they should have beaten Canyon.

Canyon - Good job. Had good percussion and some very enjoyable spots in the show. Overall, I am not real high on this show so I personally wouldn't have put them this high but they more than deserve to have medaled tonight. Deciding who to put in 3,4, and 5 was very tough for me. Best of luck in the future.

(Waco) Robinson - The biggest band in 3A ALMOST brings home the biggest trophy in 3A that a band can attain. They marched very clean and played very well. My only gripe is their show concept. It is "behind the time" of the modern era of marching bands. It reminds of a mid-80's 5A band. This is not a bad thing and it was quite refreshing to see something "old school" for a change. It was very obvious that their show concept was very similar to many college bands and that is why they finished in 1st in Prelims by a good margin. All 5 of the judges in prelims were directors of major college bands
and Robinson finished w/ a composite of 9 while 2nd place Canton had a 28. They did an excellent job and I enjoyed getting to meet many fine people from there tonight as I was surrouned by them.

Canton - Very good band. They showed tonight why they were named the 3A Honor Band this year. They didnt really stick out tonight as a clear cut number 1, but they were more deserving of the title than anybody else. They had the best percussion tonight as well.

Here are my thoughts as well as a couple of caption awards for the evening.

1. Canton
2. Robinson
3. Wylie
4. Crystal City
5. Canyon
6. Pearsall
7. Princeton

High Brass - (since TCU doesn't count) Robinson, 2nd Canton 3rd Wylie

High Woodwinds - Canton...yeah! 2nd Crystal City, 3rd Canyon

High Drums - Canton...played some notes and good 4 mallets, 2nd Wylie, 3rd Princeton

Best Auxillary - Wylie...yeah! 2nd Canton, 3rd Crystal City...they used the big red bouncy balls!!!

Best Marching - Canton, 2nd Robinson...very clean for easy drill, 3rd (tie) Wylie...clean w/1 noticeable exception and Crystal City...when you march 7/8 and 5/4 that clean you should get some respect

General Effect - Wylie...best overall crowd response, 2nd Canton, 3rd Robinson...they had WAY too many people so they get demoted to here from 2nd.

Best Show Concept - Crystal City...they did a great job of conveying their theme. 2nd (tie) Canton and Wylie...Wylie's New World Symphony has just been used too much to get first, but they took a little different route on it and it was very enjoyable.

Well kids that's it for me in Waco (Temple). It's 1:20 and I have to get up at 6 to be back in Abilene by 9:30 for chapel. Feel free to disagree w/ me on any and everything I said.

eye of the tiger
11-05-2002, 07:27 PM
Adidas410s thank you for the report. Nice analysis and I enjoyed your comments. Also congrats to all the bands and especially to Canton the champs.

Now for a question. Why doesn't Texas have more interest in DCI? My son years ago marched for Lone Srar but they no longer exist. The best marching bands in America are in Texas. It seems like it would be a natural for one or two drum corps here.

Last thanks for all the bands and band members that entertain us during the game and at half time. I appreciate what you do for us.

KatPride03
11-06-2002, 03:10 AM
There is a major interest in DCI. I know for a fact that the Port Isabel band took a few of the "priority players" or section leaders or something to see DCI in San Antonio this summer. My home girl went, she's the asst. drum major and I think she had a pretty good time...
Valley bands are influenced by DCI
Port Isabel is the only band that i know of in 3a that has a DCI uniform and that helps them out a lot but if their pants were black like the Blue Devils then that would help them out A TON because those white pants kill the bad marchers and im sure it is major money to get that stuff cleaned all the time.
And if you notice--their drum feature for their show this year was from DCI as well. Which...if a high school band can pull off a DCI drum feature...they're badass in my eyes.
ON and On about PI but theyre the only band i know of that is influenced by DCI and I think a lot of them watch dci tapes all the time. anytime ive ever been at my homie's house, she's got a tape sittin there or something...they're always in site though lol

eye of the tiger
11-06-2002, 07:30 PM
My son marchs with the Texas A&M marching band and they have several that marched with the Cadets the last few years. And a couple with Phantom Regiment. They all aged out this year. My son marched with Lone Star which never made a major impact, but always put on a good show. Sure taught my son how to roll his feet when he marched. One of my best friends marched with the Cavaliers for a couple of years. DCI

eye of the tiger
11-06-2002, 07:32 PM
My son marches with the Texas A&M marching band and they have several that marched with the Cadets the last few years. And a couple with Phantom Regiment. They all aged out this year. My son marched with Lone Star which never made a major impact, but always put on a good show. Sure taught my son how to roll his feet when he marched. One of my best friends marched with the Cavaliers for a couple of years. DCI has had a major influence on the TAMU-C band this year.

Adidas410s
11-06-2002, 09:27 PM
KatPride03:
There is a major interest in DCI. I know for a fact that the Port Isabel band took a few of the "priority players" or section leaders or something to see DCI in San Antonio this summer. My home girl went, she's the asst. drum major and I think she had a pretty good time...
Valley bands are influenced by DCI
Port Isabel is the only band that i know of in 3a that has a DCI uniform and that helps them out a lot but if their pants were black like the Blue Devils then that would help them out A TON because those white pants kill the bad marchers and im sure it is major money to get that stuff cleaned all the time.
And if you notice--their drum feature for their show this year was from DCI as well. Which...if a high school band can pull off a DCI drum feature...they're badass in my eyes.
ON and On about PI but theyre the only band i know of that is influenced by DCI and I think a lot of them watch dci tapes all the time. anytime ive ever been at my homie's house, she's got a tape sittin there or something...they're always in site though lolA couple of things to disagree with here. First off there are others with DCI like uniforms, I didnt see it this year but in past years Whitesboro are identical to Cadets.

Second, PI didnt exactly "pull off" the Cadets percussion feature from 2000. They cut out over half of it and the notes weren't anywhere near the same. It may sound the same, but they played a very watered down version. I enjoyed getting to see them play stuff that's funner than normal.

Also, PI isnt the only 3A that does DCI stuff. The last 3 years, Abilene Wylie has done corps stuff as well. In 2000, we did Jesus Christ Superstar (99 Scouts...my all-time favorite!). We bought the drum feature straight from the Scouts and played it note for note except for the snare solo. In 2001 they did In the Mood and Birdland from 2000 Crossmen. This past year they did New World Symphony, an old PR show. I am not positive but I think that it was done around late 80's or early 90's. Wylie's arranger is John Mehan, an arranger for the Blue Devils.

To answer a previous question, there are a few main reasons that DCI doesn't have a top corps in Texas. The first is that all of the top talent is already going out of state to the big 4 and they have no reason to stay and join a fledgling corps. Bluecoats are prime examples because they even come down to Texas to hold tryout camps. They hold two camps @ Cedar Park each year. They are very fun and I learned a lot. Sadly enough though I was not able to accept a spot on their snareline because of a job working on Rob Beckham's campaign. To make things even worse, that job later fell through as the company running the campaign mysteriously went bankrupt in April. Also, it gets way too hot in Texas in May and June. Asking kids to rehearse for 12-18 hrs a day in 90+ temperatures can be very hazardous. However, I say all that to say this. Revolution out of San Antonio is an up and coming Div 3 corps. I think they finished in the top 5 in their 1st FULL touring year and are planning to move up to Div 2 this year.

KatPride03
11-09-2002, 10:52 PM
Oh but that's where you're wrong. The reason PI didn't put on their closer for a long time was because the drill writer wouldnt send them the drill for the closer until the drum feature was learned. The Drum Feature was ordered directly from the Cadets. The same moves and everything. They couldn't possibly have 10 snares play a snare solo. What they did was exactly the same. Even the brass licks. The snare, the tenors, the other tenor and the bass drums. all the same.

KatPride03
11-09-2002, 11:01 PM
I'm sorry man, I didn't even read your whole post. I just read the part where you said PI did a watered down version and my home girl protested about how everyday in her band directors office he'd be on the phone to get a hold of the drum feature.
She wants me to ask if it's tough for snares in DCI...what the auditions are like. She says her childhood buddy is thinking about auditioning for DCI and his main thing is snare.